Old 10-27-2015, 11:34 AM
Extrajudicial
Charter Member

Florence resident shoots intruder, police say
Quote:
The suspect, later identified as 42-year-old Robert Marshal of Florence, had entered the home through an open garage door and was met by one of the residents, police said.

During an ensuing struggle, one of the residents suffered a knife injury. He was later taken to the hospital and released.

Another resident fired a shot at Marshal, who then fled the scene, police said.

He was found nearly 12 hours later hiding in a closet in an apartment at Florence Tollgate Place. He suffered a gunshot wound to the arm and was taken to the hospital.
It's a good thing the homeowner brought a gun to a knife fight.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:53 AM

Well he was probably a decent enough shot compared with say, the cops in NYC. Plenty of horror stories there, "spray and pray" and hitting everyone BUT the intended target.

One thing that is apparent the willingness for these individuals to threaten and rob the public is considerably dampened by the possibility that their intended victims will shoot back. Yes, the whole thing stinks but that ship sailed long ago and it's going to get worse before it gets worse. While I don't have a concealed carry permit there is some benefit to me because I live in a "shall issue" state - a criminal will have to gamble, that I may not be carrying - that he feels lucky. Most people at worst just don't care if an armed robber gets plugged. Why should they? It's way down the list of "Shit I Need To Worry About".
Old 10-27-2015, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
And to head off the questions about what is the positive news here, the known gang member with a long criminal record was able to get a gun!
Positive news, for weird values of 'positive,' I suppose.
Quote:
The positive news is that the homeowner was able to defend himself, and turn the tables on the people attacking him.
Sounds like positive martial arts news to me, since that's how the homeowner defended himself. By your account, there was nothing positive about the presence of a gun in this encounter.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
You must be really bummed out by the tens of thousands of people who die every single year in car accidents.
And you know what? We folks on the left side of the spectrum have been working to reduce automobile deaths and increase safety for 50+ years. Mandatory seat belts, shoulder harnesses, 'click it or ticket,' air bags, child booster seats, standards for absorbing the shock of a crash - we lefties have supported them all, and often faced stiff opposition from the right.

Not to mention, we'd like to see more public transit available in more places, which would save a hell of a lot more lives, but there, also, the right thinks that's communism or something.

So I get kinda tired of this "well, what about car crashes?" from gun lovers. We've made things way safer there. We've gone from 54,589 automobile deaths in 1972 to 32,719 in 2013, from 1 of every 3845 people getting killed by cars each year, to 1 of every 9667 people per year.

So yeah, we've been bummed by needless automobile deaths for a long, long time, and we've acted on that. Successfully.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Four arrested after home invasion, fatal shooting in Pembroke Pines

4 people planned a home invasion and ends with all suspects apprehended or dead and no other injuries. Sounds pretty positive to me.
Took 42 posts, but finally some positive gun news.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Florence resident shoots intruder, police say

It's a good thing the homeowner brought a gun to a knife fight.
Sounds like a locked door would have been equally effective.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
So I get kinda tired of this "well, what about car crashes?" from gun lovers. We've made things way safer there. We've gone from 54,589 automobile deaths in 1972 to 32,719 in 2013, from 1 of every 3845 people getting killed by cars each year, to 1 of every 9667 people per year.

So yeah, we've been bummed by needless automobile deaths for a long, long time, and we've acted on that. Successfully.
Maybe so, but you don't SHOW it, in the same way that you react to deaths from guns. Murders from guns are only about 1/3 the number of traffic deaths--yet you scream bloody murder, as if that were the national tragedy to end all tragedies. You stomp your feet, and wail, and generally carry on as if you personally knew every single person who was murdered with a gun.

Just in the same way we hear the twin cries, "Think of the children!" and "If it saves one life, it's worth it!" whenever a child is accidentally killed with a gun -- and yet when it comes to the subject of backyard swimming pools, (which kill far more children than guns do), the silence is deafening.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:53 PM
Extrajudicial
Charter Member

Frankfort gas station clerk pulls gun on armed robber
Quote:
An attempted armed robbery was foiled by a Frankfort gas station clerk who used a handgun to scare away a suspect.
The clerk said a man – who was about 6 feet tall and 175 pounds, wearing a black ski mask and black clothing – walked into the store and pointed a .38 caliber handgun at him, Hoffmeyer said.

The clerk yelled at the robber to leave, and the masked man then fled on foot, she said. The clerk later admitted to having a handgun himself and pointing it at the suspect, which caused him to depart.
No shots fired and no dead robbers so it would not be captured in any statistic available - still a DGU.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Maybe so, but you don't SHOW it, in the same way that you react to deaths from guns. Murders from guns are only about 1/3 the number of traffic deaths--yet you scream bloody murder, as if that were the national tragedy to end all tragedies. You stomp your feet, and wail, and generally carry on as if you personally knew every single person who was murdered with a gun.

Just in the same way we hear the twin cries, "Think of the children!" and "If it saves one life, it's worth it!" whenever a child is accidentally killed with a gun -- and yet when it comes to the subject of backyard swimming pools, (which kill far more children than guns do), the silence is deafening.
It is not Think of the Children, but last I checked pools are rarely use to commit armed robbery. If the NRA would meet most of America part way the gun owners would not be reviled collectively. We need nationwide waiting periods, registration, limitations on automatic weapons and non-ferrous guns. We need gun safety training to be mandatory. Things like this would have me on the gun owners side, instead I see the crap the NRA does on behalf of gun owners and it makes the gun supporters look very unreasonable. Cars have to be registered, so why not guns?
Old 10-28-2015, 07:34 PM
BANNED

As noted before, because car registration isn't motivated by a desire to reduce car ownership, punish car owners, or confiscate cars. We have years and years of the gun control lot making their agenda and goals clear, yet it is a mystery why we don't trust you?
Old 10-28-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
As noted before, because car registration isn't motivated by a desire to reduce car ownership, punish car owners, or confiscate cars. We have years and years of the gun control lot making their agenda and goals clear, yet it is a mystery why we don't trust you?
Seriously, you really believe the govmint is going to come and take yer guns away?

This outweighs the need to track how guns get into the hands of criminals?

How do you feel about the training and licensing at least?
Old 10-28-2015, 08:17 PM
BANNED

Your mighty italics do not frighten me.

Go to most any random gun thread from this board. You will find posts from people on your side advocating all manner of draconian measures against gun owners. Those are your comrades. We do not trust you.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
limitations on automatic weapons
We do. They are highly restricted and you need tens of thousands of dollars to buy one. The number of murders done with legally-owned automatic weapons in the last 80 years can be counted on one hand. Like 2.
Quote:
and non-ferrous guns.
It is illegal to make any such gun since 1988. I assume you are referring to 3D printing: the legal ones have metal in them. Anything that is plastic is unreliable as hell. As for non printed firearms: Die Hard 2 is not a documentary!

Last edited by thelurkinghorror; 10-28-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:54 PM
Extrajudicial
Charter Member

Quote:
If the NRA would meet most of America part way the gun owners would not be reviled collectively. We need nationwide waiting periods, registration, limitations on automatic weapons and non-ferrous guns. We need gun safety training to be mandatory. Things like this would have me on the gun owners side, instead I see the crap the NRA does on behalf of gun owners and it makes the gun supporters look very unreasonable. Cars have to be registered, so why not guns?
What an odd way of defining "half way". Just fold on every issue and surrender to meet in the middle! Maybe the NRA could be more like Brady! Where are you proposing to move your positions to the middle?

Last edited by Bone; 10-28-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
We need gun safety training to be mandatory. Things like this would have me on the gun owners side, instead I see the crap the NRA does on behalf of gun owners and it makes the gun supporters look very unreasonable. Cars have to be registered, so why not guns?
Ah yes. The evil NRA does horrible things like advocating for gun safety.

Quote:
The Eddie Eagle GunSafe® program is a gun accident prevention program that seeks to help parents, law enforcement, community groups and educators navigate a topic paramount to our children’s safety. Eddie and his Wing Team are on a mission to help you teach Pre-K through 4th graders what to do if they ever come across a gun.
https://eddieeagle.nra.org/

Tip: you might want to make up your mind as to what side you're actually on.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:05 AM
Extrajudicial
Charter Member

Palmetto homeowner holds burglar at gunpoint
Quote:
Michael Nelson, 28, and a 17-year-old male used an unlocked door to get into a house in the 8300 block of 36th Avenue E in Palmetto, according to the Manatee County Sheriff’s Office. The resident was home at the time, and she hid and called 911 while the suspects ransacked her home, deputies said.

When deputies arrived, they saw the suspects run from the home and drive off in a car. They pursued the suspects through the Shadow Brooke Mobile Home Park. The suspects got out of their car and ran from deputies.

Nelson ran into a home in the 3700 block of 70th Street E, but he was held at gunpoint by homeowner Jonathan Friedman until deputies arrived.

Deputies said the woman who called 911 identified Nelson as one of the burglars.
Locking your door is good advice. Burglars arrested after being held at gunpoint by resident, no one injured (even burglar who attempted to light himself on fire while in the hospital) - positive news!
Old 10-29-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Ah yes. The evil NRA does horrible things like advocating for gun safety.

https://eddieeagle.nra.org/

Tip: you might want to make up your mind as to what side you're actually on.
Is it mandatory? Also I am not really on a side. I have my own opinions and am not part of some anti-gun movement.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Also I am not really on a side. I have my own opinions and am not part of some anti-gun movement.
I wonder how many of us are on the "not really on a side" side.

Personally, every time I hear about a tragic loss of life involving guns, I think that we have to do something.

But I live in a rural area (and never want to move) where firearms are sometimes necessary. A couple years ago I shot a fox that was in our yard. He was behaving oddly (stalking me) and the department of agriculture field office determined he was rabid. I was glad I owned the shotgun, but haven't fired it since.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:32 PM
Extrajudicial
Charter Member

Resident of Duke Manor Apartments Kills Suspected Intruder
Quote:
Durham police are investigating a deadly home invasion.

Around 1:30 a.m. Thursday, an intruder entered a home in the Duke Manor apartments. A resident said someone entered the home and hit another resident in the head.

That's when another resident grabbed a gun and aimed at the suspect. After a tussle with the suspect, the resident opened fire, killing the suspect. Police say they found the suspect with several gunshot wounds on the floor.

There is no information if charges will be filed against the resident who fired the gun. Police identified the suspect as Antonio Lamont Elliott Jr., 18, of Durham.
More of the same - home invasion thwarted and only minor injuries to residents.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:55 PM
Extrajudicial
Charter Member

Hermitage man defends neighbor's property from thieves
Quote:
This is the scene that unfolded on Netherlands Drive this week, when a resident noticed a strange pickup truck back into his neighbor's driveway, police said, then appear to try and steal a utility trailer.

"..he quickly drove his own pickup truck to the scene and blocked the thieves’ escape path," police said in a statement." The neighbor detained one of the suspects at gunpoint while two others, a man and a woman fled. When the guy who fled turned around and started to come back with his hands around his waist, the neighbor fired a warning shot in the air, causing that man to turn around and resume running."

Hermitage Precinct officers arrived shortly and found Marty Ray Harris, 40, of Fairview, being held at gunpoint by the neighbor.

Police said Harris admitted to detectives that he and his accomplices intended on stealing and selling the utility trailer to support a heroin habit.
Now that's a good neighbor!
Old 10-31-2015, 08:19 PM
Extrajudicial
Charter Member

The Utah Supreme Court says you don’t have to take a bullet for your company
Quote:
In an opinion handed down on Friday, the state’s top court ruled that “Utah law reflects a policy favoring the right of self-defense, and that policy is of sufficient magnitude to qualify as a substantial public policy exception to the at-will employment doctrine, but only under the narrow circumstances where an employee cannot withdraw and faces imminent serious bodily injury.”
Even if you are an at-will employee in Utah - you can't be fired for exercising self defense in the case of imminent serious bodily injury. Sounds about right to me.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:18 AM

Here's another one for your thread, Bone. It's interesting to me because I didn't realize that there was such a thing as a Chicago CHL for anyone not named "Alderman" or "Mayor."

Basically, Mr. Gildersleeve, 55, with a lengthy criminal history, and out on bond for another crime, tries to rob the local corner store. While herding the employees of the store to one side, he got into an altercation with a customer, a 44 year old CHL holder and Chicago resident, who shot Mr. Gildersleeve multiple times, killing him.

Naturally his family is shocked and dismayed that their loved one was killed. From the Tribune article:
Quote:
"Something doesn't seem right," said Igbinosa Oronsaye, whose mother was married to Gildersleeve. "Reggie doesn't even own a gun. He couldn't own a gun if he wanted to."

Oronsaye said he wasn't convinced the shooter acted properly.

"Some people don't actually know how to use guns," he said. "They go to firing ranges, but it's not the same as a bullet going into someone's body, it's not the same as a bullet going into flesh. They should be able to wound first, kill next. He didn't deserve to get shot multiple times.

"You just took a brother, you just took a father from a lot of people. Somebody's got to answer for that."
Old 11-02-2015, 11:54 AM
Extrajudicial
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
Here's another one for your thread, Bone. It's interesting to me because I didn't realize that there was such a thing as a Chicago CHL for anyone not named "Alderman" or "Mayor."
Good find. After Moore v. Madigan Chicago-ans have been able to obtain CHLs, though the process is lengthy. This is one of the positive outcomes.

In other news, Intruder fatally shot by San Pedro homeowner during break-in:
Quote:
The homeowner heard the man breaking into the home in the 300 block of West 11th Street about 3 a.m., said Officer Liliana Preciado of the Los Angeles Police Department.

He shot the man in the head. The intruder was taken to a hospital, where he died.
This article is pretty sparse. Important details are essentially there is one dead intruder.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:54 PM

Yaaaay! All these corpses piling up just gives me such a warm positive feeling down in the cockles of my heart. Killing tools are just so gosh darn nifty, aren't they?
Old 11-02-2015, 04:22 PM
BANNED

Would you feel better talking about folks getting robbed, beaten, raped, or killed by criminals? Fists and feet are our kind's original killing tools. Eliminate other weapons and we are left with the strong (or numerous) preying on the weak. The weak hope the strong leave them alive, at least.

Last edited by Scumpup; 11-02-2015 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:29 PM
Extrajudicial
Charter Member

Bank robber hospitalized after being shot three times by customer
Quote:
A thief walked into a Warren bank expecting to rob it at about 4 p.m. Monday.

But a concealed pistol license holder shot the bank robber three times once in the leg and once in each arm. He is recovering in serious condition at St. John Providence Hospital.

A passer-by recorded a phone video of the bad guy's very bad day at Citizen's Bank at Van Dyke north of Nine Mile in Warren.

"It's not every day you see a bad guy get shot and get taken down," said witness Gary Guyette.

The 43-year-old suspect turned his gun on the wrong customer, a 63-year-old CPL holder who was packing heat, himself.

"The 63-year-old responded in kind by defending himself," said Mayor Jim Fouts. "It's his Second Amendment right."
Best way to avoid getting shot while committing robbery? Not committing robbery.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
Would you feel better talking about folks getting robbed, beaten, raped, or killed by criminals?
Probably. I don't know what it is about the liberal mindset that makes it this way, but lack of concern for the victims of crime and defense of criminals are a hallmark. People are robbed, raped, tortured and killed every day by violent criminals prematurely kicked loose time and time again from the penal system and liberals couldn't care less. Instead they continue to lobby as hard as they can for reduced prison sentences and early parole which creates even more victims and then get all het up over Sheriff Joe's pink prison uniforms and mystery meat sandwiches. Go figure.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:13 AM

I'd feel better without the whooping and hollaring when someone gets to shoot someone because I was always told that it's a tragedy when someone has to shoot someone. I guess I must have let my Eddie Eagle newsletter subscription lapse.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:17 AM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post
People are robbed, raped, tortured and killed every day by violent criminals prematurely kicked loose time and time again from the penal system and liberals couldn't care less.
Maybe if conservatives would stop giving themselves tax cuts at the expense of corrections budgets, we wouldn't have to release convicts early from over-crowded prisons. Conservatives rarely consider the unintended consequences of their actions.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post

So I get kinda tired of this "well, what about car crashes?" from gun lovers. .

As with most if not all legal gun owners in America ,
I love my kids and my grand kids , my husband also other family members and a few friends and being an American citizen ..
I own a home , a car , a gun , a sofa ,,to name a few of the objects I have acquired.
I love people .
I own property .
So I get kinds tired of these kinds of labels being used because I choose to exercise my right to keep and bear arms .

For the record, I consider stories about citizens fighting back when confronted by an armed criminal , to very positive news ,compared to stories of how several citizens becoming victims of a mass murderer while on their way to class or enjoying a movie .
Old 11-03-2015, 07:48 AM

1) Why are we quibbling about whether the guy was a "disaster relief worker" or not? It's a stupid point. And a relatively benign story - "guy accidentally breaks law which is different than in his home state in way that harms no one, is briefly punished but it all gets sorted out". I'm not complaining.

2) To me the "good news" in the other story in the OP is that the customer who shot the robber didn't accidentally shoot someone else in the process. I'm glad it all turned out well, but I'm not a fan of encouraging vigilantism.

3) I note at least two stories where a person's gun is taken away from them and used against them. I could have sworn we were told elsewhere that this hardly ever happens?

4) I see Starving Artist is picking fights with imaginary liberals again. So sad.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:07 PM
Extrajudicial
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
I'd feel better without the whooping and hollaring when someone gets to shoot someone because I was always told that it's a tragedy when someone has to shoot someone. I guess I must have let my Eddie Eagle newsletter subscription lapse.
If it's affecting your mental health and well being, or how you are feeling, perhaps this thread is isn't for you.

It is a tragedy when someone has to defend themselves by shooting someone - but that is from the perspective of the the shooter - it's a tragedy for the person defending them self. When a person defends them self by killing their attacker, it's unfortunate for the attacker that they are dead, but I wouldn't call that tragic. More like an expected outcome of poor choices. It's a tragedy that an innocent would have to go through the ordeal and experience of having to defend them self.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
3) I note at least two stories where a person's gun is taken away from them and used against them. I could have sworn we were told elsewhere that this hardly ever happens?
I'm not sure where you got the idea that losing a firearm in an altercation never happens - of course it happens. In a general sense, when law abiding folks including police defend themselves, it's bad if they lose their weapons. When aggressors lose their weapons in the commission of a crime and have it used against them that's good.

My conjecture is that people trained with firearms are less likely to lose their weapons while defending themselves as compared to poorly trained or disciplined criminals losing their weapons while committing a crime. I would say that law abiding folks losing their weapons while defending themselves wouldn't fit the subject matter of the thread however.

And in other news, Police: Elderly man shoots robbery suspect who pointed a gun at his wife
Quote:
A 76-year-old man shot a robbery suspect in the head critically injuring him inside his Eastside home early Monday evening.
Police said Talley was attempting to rob the 75-year-old woman inside her rental office. When the suspect pointed a gun at the woman, her husband, who Talley didn't see, appeared from the back of the house.

Fearing for his wife's safety, he pulled out a handgun and critically injured Talley with multiple gunshot wounds.

Medics responded to the scene and transported the suspect to Eskenazi Hospital where he remains in critical condition, police said.

IMPD Sgt. Brian Gabel told an Indianapolis Star reporter at the scene that the robbery suspect had multiple open warrants for his arrest in Indianapolis, including strangulation, dealing drugs, possession of a firearm without a license and resisting law enforcement, according to online court records.
A 27 year old person with experience in the criminal justice system vs a 75 year old couple. As a force multiplier, the firearm is probably the only reason this turned out okay for the couple.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
A 27 year old person with experience in the criminal justice system vs a 75 year old couple. As a force multiplier, the firearm is probably the only reason this turned out okay for the couple.
Excellent point.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
4) I see Starving Artist is picking fights with imaginary liberals again. So sad.
Sounds to me like you're ignorant of liberal efforts to make gathering evidence as difficult as possible and to lessen prison sentences and lobby for early parole. I've seen some of the board's liberals speak proudly of their successes in these areas on this very board.

And of course we have the examples of Great Britton, where crimes we consider heinous routinely draw minimal prison terms and early release (barring politically incorrect crimes, that is, for which harsh sentencing predictably has become the norm), and of countries like Sweden and Norway, where being sentenced to prison is like living in a nice hotel or on a college campus.

If you're a victim, conservatives are your friend. If you're a criminal, liberals are your friend.

What's sad is that you're ignorant of this propensity on the part of your ideological brethren.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:06 PM
BANNED

And before anyone brings up my misspelling of Great Brittain, I plead force of habit. Some years back I worked for a company with Britton in the name and got used to spelling it that way. Mea culpa.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Maybe if conservatives would stop giving themselves tax cuts at the expense of corrections budgets, we wouldn't have to release convicts early from over-crowded prisons. Conservatives rarely consider the unintended consequences of their actions.
Can you give us an example of where this actually happened?
Old 11-03-2015, 08:43 PM

Guns are designed to kill -- after all we must not point a gun at anyone we do not want to die. So given that most gun killings are suicide I'd say suicide by gun is about as positive as you can get about these tools. Most of the time that people fire them effectively it is to kill themselves (what is it, to the rate of 2 a day? Not sure off top of my head.. thinking United States stats here). Sure, defending yourself against a threat is great, but let's face it the main REAL use of a gun against a human is for suicide -- that is just a statistical fact. So let's celebrate the two or whatever folks a day who use this tool to kill themselves. And, hey, let's celebrate that their guns made them feel safe before they ended their lives. Having a gun but not using it gives a chance to feel safe, and once you're ready for the suicide and you finally find a good reason to use it for real -- what is not to love? It gave you comfort until now when it is a convenient tool to end your life. Sounds like win/win to me. Get a gun, feel good about it as long as you need, and then remove yourself from our population in one of the more easy and pain free methods possible.

To sum it up, I guess I think the best gun news of the day is when gun owners kill themselves. Guns are very good tools for that and I am always happy to see folks do things using the best tools possible.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:09 AM
Extrajudicial
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaevictis View Post
To sum it up, I guess I think the best gun news of the day is when gun owners kill themselves. Guns are very good tools for that and I am always happy to see folks do things using the best tools possible.
Praising people committing suicide...stay classy!

In other news, Elderly man shoots suspected burglar inside home (audio plays from news story)
Quote:
The homeowner a 60-year-old man was home alone when he heard someone in his back yard and then glass breaking. As he saw the suspect enter the home through a window the man warned the suspect he had a gun.

He warned the suspect a second time and police say he perceived a threat so he opened fire.

The suspected burglar ran to an alley where officers found him.

Paramedics treated the man and took him to a hospital in extremely critical condition.
Just another day in AZ.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:26 PM

October figures for the FBI NICS, (National Instant Criminal Background Check System), show a continuing trend of record breaking sales. Numbers for October 2015 were just released. Another 1.9 million background checks.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ni...month_year.pdf

Of course the disclaimer at the bottom of the chart reminds us that these background checks do not translate into direct sales numbers, but most felons and others who know that they cannot purchase a gun don't apply to buy. Some small subset of these checks are refused sales of the gun for various reasons. But they are still the best figures we have to estimate actual sales.

17 and a half million checks so far this year and we are just now entering the holiday shopping season. Regardless of how it is usually portrayed in the media, these can't be just the "gun nuts" buying 20 million guns each year.

Anti-gun types always point to the Australian buy back program as a model for the future of gun control in the US. This chart shows why that idea is ridiculous when applied to the US. The Australian buy-back took in about a week's worth of US gun sales, maybe. And many of those poorly armed Australians simply replaced their illegal gun with a more acceptable version.

Every time a pimple-faced mentally ill loser shoots up a school, another million guns are sold. Every time the current or presumed future president goes on TV to say something must be done, another 12 million are sold.

The Europeans, Australians, and other posters on this board really should take a long look at the numbers on the FBI chart to understand why the gun buy-back idea, or any kind of confiscation plan will simply not work in the US.

Who are these people who are buying all these guns? Answer, not the gun nuts. Normal people with concerns. Hunting game did not somehow become more popular, wild animals did not overtake the cities.

I leave it up to the individual to wonder what is going on.

Last edited by Dallas Jones; 11-04-2015 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:39 AM

I just checked, albeit not exhaustively. Not a single gun homicide in Australia today. Seems pretty positive to me. Too bad that America can't do anything about her little problem. Sure, she won two world wars and put a man on the moon, but I guess reasonable gun control laws are just too darn hard to enact, even when it's what the majority wants.

Last edited by Dave Hartwick; 11-05-2015 at 06:39 AM.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post
Sounds to me like you're ignorant of liberal efforts to make gathering evidence as difficult as possible and to lessen prison sentences and lobby for early parole. I've seen some of the board's liberals speak proudly of their successes in these areas on this very board.

And of course we have the examples of Great Britton, where crimes we consider heinous routinely draw minimal prison terms and early release (barring politically incorrect crimes, that is, for which harsh sentencing predictably has become the norm), and of countries like Sweden and Norway, where being sentenced to prison is like living in a nice hotel or on a college campus.

If you're a victim, conservatives are your friend. If you're a criminal, liberals are your friend.

What's sad is that you're ignorant of this propensity on the part of your ideological brethren.
Ah, I see the problem. I failed to factor your unique view of the universe. Attempting to fix the massive clusterfuck that is the US penal system, with its policies (mostly Republican-driven) that result is ludicrously disproportionate penalties for minor crimes leading to unsustainable prison overcrowding is not evidence of a "lack of concern for the victims of crime", which was your original claim. Liberals are interested in justice. You appear to be interested only in punishment.

Also, of course, conservative claims to be concerned with the victims of crime tend to run into a brick wall when the crime in question is rape.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hartwick View Post
I just checked, albeit not exhaustively. Not a single gun homicide in Australia today. Seems pretty positive to me. Too bad that America can't do anything about her little problem. Sure, she won two world wars and put a man on the moon, but I guess reasonable gun control laws are just too darn hard to enact, even when it's what the majority wants.
They do have pretty reasonable gun control laws, actually - what's different is the way guns are viewed there vs elsewhere.

In the US, a gun is mainly a symbol of many things, from the ownership of your home to the Constitution and the rights enshrined in it. In other countries, they tend to be viewed as a dangerous tool. But when you look at the laws in the US, they actually have checks that are very similar to those of other countries - the difference is that in other countries nobody would think of buying a gun because we have the right to.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:02 PM
Extrajudicial
Charter Member

Kind of a mixed bag on this one:
A senior citizen turned the tables during a home invasion
Quote:
The elderly man woke up during a nap about 10 a.m. Tuesday to find a burglar ransacking his house.

When Robert Hamm got up to investigate what was causing a loud noise, he saw a man going through the drawers in one of his bedrooms.

"I saw the man with his arms loaded up with my tools," Hamm said.

The burglar, who'd climbed in through the bedroom window, apparently didn't know or care that the 75-year-old was home.

Hamm, who keeps his gun handy, wasn't about to let the crook escape with his stuff.

"I just pointed the gun at him and told him I'd blow him in two if he moved," Hamm said, "and I made him lay down here in the middle of the floor."

Hamm called 911 and held him at gunpoint until police showed up at his home along Blue Hall Road in Olive Hill.
Unfortunately, the person that police picked up quickly eluded them:
Quote:
Sgt. Randy Phillips with the Carter County Sheriff's Department says the Carter County Detention Center wouldn't take the suspect, Larry Lee Thompson, in Tuesday, because he was too intoxicated on pills and alcohol, so he was taken to a hospital in Morehead.

Phillips says Thompson checked out of the hospital Wednesday evening. He was supposed to turn himself in at the jail, but he didn't do so.

"He could be anywhere," Hamm said. "He could be down sitting at the foot of the hill waiting for me to come out or anything."

"We're confident we will get him," Phillips said.

Phillips says their department is simply stretched too thin to keep a deputy with a suspect at the hospital for a day and a half.
So, a guy breaks into someone's house armed with a knife, the elderly homeowner subdues him at gun point (that's the positive news), then the police detain the person, take him to a hospital, then the guy simply checks himself out.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:40 PM

A nosy liberal in Colorado tried to call the police just because her neighbor was outside with his rifle. She was informed by the 911 operator that the neighbor was in his rights to carry a gun and that they had a little thing called freedom in the Centennial State.

But you know liberals, they just have to have the last word:
Quote:
Bettis called 911 again. "I said, ‘That guy I just called you about, he just shot somebody.'”
http://www.newser.com/story/215504/s...-is-legal.html
Old 11-05-2015, 03:55 PM
Extrajudicial
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
A nosy liberal in Colorado tried to call the police just because her neighbor was outside with his rifle. She was informed by the 911 operator that the neighbor was in his rights to carry a gun and that they had a little thing called freedom in the Centennial State.

But you know liberals, they just have to have the last word: http://www.newser.com/story/215504/s...-is-legal.html
That's a bad outcome, but I'm not sure why you felt the need to embellish the story. There is no mention of the 911 operator responding sarcastically or about freedom in the Centennial State.

In other news, 72-year-old man tied up in home invasion gets free, grabs gun
Quote:
Investigators said two women entered the home of the 72-year-old victim, tied him to a chair and stole his cash, debit card and credit cards.

One of the suspects, identified as 50-year-old Sheila Clark of Coos Bay, then took off in the man's Chevrolet Blazer, according to deputies, while the second suspect, 27-year-old Michelle Taylor of Crescent City, California, stayed behind to guard him.

Police located the vehicle at McKay's Market in Gold Beach and then found Clark in the store. She was arrested for an outstanding warrant out of Multnomah County and faces additional charges of robbery, coercion, burglary, unlawful use of a motor vehicle and theft.

In the meantime, investigators said the man who was tied up was able to free himself. He grabbed a handgun and pointed it at Taylor, the sheriff's office said, and she ran away from the home.
Another DGU with no shots fired.

Last edited by Bone; 11-05-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:11 AM
Extrajudicial
Charter Member

Man shot to death after attacking ex-girlfriend in violent home invasion
Quote:
The suspect arrived at the apartment, banged on the door and was refused entry. He then kicked in the door and reportedly destroyed items in the apartment, reports state.

The suspect then also reportedly choked the female until she lost consciousness and charged at the 28-year-old man, hitting him.

The man produced a handgun and shot the suspect in the chest.
The only negative here is that the resident wasn't able to stop the intruder before he choked out the woman who was there.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
1) Why are we quibbling about whether the guy was a "disaster relief worker" or not? It's a stupid point. And a relatively benign story - "guy accidentally breaks law which is different than in his home state in way that harms no one, is briefly punished but it all gets sorted out". I'm not complaining.
I brought it up because it was an outright lie that falsely portrayed a gun owner as a heroic figure of sorts. I agree it had nothing to do with the meat of the story, but the writer used it to glorify him. It was pure propaganda that Bone accepted at face value, and defended, just because it involved a gun owner.

The same thing happened in the Stupid Gun News thread when Lumpy posted a story about a guy who had been robbed several times and finally got a gun and shot the next intruder. It turned out that he hadn't bothered securing his apartment properly, but that didn't matter to Lumpy. All that mattered was that he shot an intruder. I think it's worth pointing out that they're blindly accepting these stories just because they involve guns.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:45 PM
Extrajudicial
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox Lucius View Post
I brought it up because it was an outright lie that falsely portrayed a gun owner as a heroic figure of sorts. I agree it had nothing to do with the meat of the story, but the writer used it to glorify him. It was pure propaganda that Bone accepted at face value, and defended, just because it involved a gun owner.
Except for the fact that you are wrong about the characterization, spot on! You admitted this when you incorrectly characterized the person in the story as a "disaster relief worker" in post #25:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox Lucius View Post
The only reason to call him a disaster relief worker--pardon me, that he was doing disaster relief work-
You are the one who repeatedly mistakenly called him a "disaster relief worker". Keep clinging to the idea that involving FEMA, the Office of Emergency Management, and the State Police (as I mentioned n post #35) constitutes no actual disaster!
Old 11-06-2015, 05:11 PM
Extrajudicial
Charter Member

And in other news, Police Say Robbery Suspect Shot In Jaw:

Quote:
Police and medical responders were called to McDonald's, 30 S. Sheridan, shortly before 9:30 p.m. on the report of a man suffering a gunshot wound who was conscious and awake. According to the police report, the injured man was covered "with blood all over him" and told police, "I need help."
Incident aftermath on cell phone
Witnesses told police the incident happened in the restaurant's parking lot and originally involved three people. The injured man is alleged to have tried to rob one person and the third person shot him in the jaw. Cellphone video of the aftermath of the incident posted online showed two people retreating into the restaurant and locking the door, followed by the injured man attempting to get inside.
Shot in the jaw and still functioning. People are resilient.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Keep clinging to the idea...
And you can cling to whatever idea you want. I'm not gonna keep arguing with a fencepost.