Old 10-01-2019, 08:58 AM

Interesting that this one has turned up in both the "Positive" and "Stupid" gun news threads.

Shooting at an intruder coming at you with a pickaxe? Perfectly sound response.

Shooting again after the intruder has dropped the weapon and is running away? Questionable.

Shooting a "warning shot" off into the dark of a public space? Criminally irresponsible.

Waiting to call the police after all of the above? Deeply flawed judgment.

It's not the first shot that's the problem; it's the other ones and the delay.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

For a less completely fucked up "positive" gun news story from Texas, last week in Houston a woman called police (apparently right away and everything) after shooting her ex-boyfriend after he allegedly broke into her home around 10 p.m. He is expected to survive; thus far, the woman has not been charged.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:01 PM

I took a concealed carry class and the majority of people there were women. Several mentioned being stalked by ex's.

The case in Texas is another reminder that women have to protect themselves from people they know. I'm glad no charges were filed.

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-01-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
SCOTUS may hear a very momentous gun case, which could expand gun rights further yet:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...Ymh9A6lSPeJsSs
Wow, that article doesn't even pretend to be objective.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
Wow, that article doesn't even pretend to be objective.
I didn't even bother opening the article when I saw it was on VOX.
Old 10-04-2019, 04:53 AM
Charter Member

From Redding, California, a man with a concealed carry permit was able to free a woman who had been kidnapped after pulling his handgun on the kidnapper at a gas station. The kidnapper fled the scene, but was arrested nearby. The kidnapping victim reportedly had minor injuries and was able to return home. The assailant reportedly had also earlier beaten and injured the woman's sister at the time of the initial kidnapping; the assailant faces domestic violence charges along with a number of other crimes.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

From a couple of weeks ago in Wichita Falls, Texas, a man attempted to steal a donation bucket full of small bills from a disabled charity volunteer. A witness at the scene chased down the thief, who struck that person with a backpack then pulled a knife. Two other bystanders confronted the now-armed thief; one of those bystanders was armed and was able to detain the would-be robber at gunpoint until police arrived.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:04 AM
Charter Member

From last week in Statesville, North Carolina, a homeowner who came home and caught a man who had broken into his house held the would-be burglar at gunpoint until sheriff's deputies arrived and arrested the intruder. The would-be burglar is facing multiple charges and is suspected in a couple of other break-ins; he also has a prior criminal history that includes other breaking-and-entering offenses.

No shots were fired and no one was injured in the incident.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:08 AM

Gunman shot to death by man he was trying to rob: Akron Police report

Quote:
A 22-year-old armed robber found himself on the wrong end of a gun Sunday night, and he didn’t live to face authorities.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:46 PM

Some poor fool tried to rob Nick Irving. He was detained at gunpoint, and should probably count himself lucky for that:

Quote:
#Monday got interesting...Short story, someone attempted to rob me, but didn't work out in his favor. While within my legal right to defend what is mine, property, my person, etc., with the use of deadly force, the choice not to and a little hand work was the best option #onelessstatistic Shoutout #2a #Texas and the cavalry with the quick response. #stillPositiveVibesOnly #Mondays #hedidntreadmybook
ETA: for those that don't know who Nick Irving is ... The Reaper: Autobiography of One of the Deadliest Special Ops Snipers

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 10-08-2019 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:55 PM

And then there's this story: Grizzly Bear Attack in Montana Stopped with 9mm Pistols
Old 10-09-2019, 07:40 AM

On a side note, while I'm glad it all worked out neatly for Nick Irving I still believe there should be a maximum three-hashtag limit for any one tweet.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
Some poor fool tried to rob Nick Irving. He was detained at gunpoint, and should probably count himself lucky for that:

ETA: for those that don't know who Nick Irving is ... The Reaper: Autobiography of One of the Deadliest Special Ops Snipers
A similar thing happened with the subject of Lone Survivor, Marcus Luttrell, when some local yokels shot and killed his dog DASY. He gave chase, over 40 miles and through three counties, and ended up apprehending the perpetrators, without shooting them. One got probation, the other 2 years in the pen. I don't think anything would have happened to him had he shot both men.

Poor target selection by the criminals.

EDIT: Of course Irving Instagram'd the apprehension. Sigh. Sure he wasn't a SEAL at some point?

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 10-09-2019 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
On a side note, while I'm glad it all worked out neatly for Nick Irving I still believe there should be a maximum three-hashtag limit for any one tweet.
We need common-sense restrictions on high-hashtag-capacity tweets!
Old 10-09-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
... EDIT: Of course Irving Instagram'd the apprehension. Sigh. Sure he wasn't a SEAL at some point?
This was immensely funny. Thank you.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
This was immensely funny. Thank you.
Idle musings: does a SEAL with dreads still get the hair gel allotment, or is he allowed to use the money instead for creatine, etc...?
Old 10-10-2019, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

From last night in Dayton, Ohio, a clerk at a Dollar General store fatally shot a man who was threatening the clerk and other employees at the store with a gun in an attempted armed robbery.

(There's no official "police/the District Attorney have ruled this a case of self-defense" in the story, so I suppose it's possible some other facts will come to light, but it seems pretty clear-cut.)
Old 10-13-2019, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

From last month in Salina, Kansas, a 63-year-old man was at home with his 12-year-old daughter when a man kicked in their door. The man claimed he was running away from someone; when the intruder closed the door and attempted to lock it behind him, the homeowner told his daughter to retrieve a firearm, then held the intruder at gunpoint until the police arrived.

No shots were fired, and no one was injured (except that the intruder apparently suffered a minor injury to his foot when he kicked the door in).
Old 10-15-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEBuckner View Post
From last night in Dayton, Ohio, a clerk at a Dollar General store fatally shot a man who was threatening the clerk and other employees at the store with a gun in an attempted armed robbery.

(There's no official "police/the District Attorney have ruled this a case of self-defense" in the story, so I suppose it's possible some other facts will come to light, but it seems pretty clear-cut.)
The family's response is almost insane enough to trigger an aneurysm.

Family of armed robber outraged that store clerk shot and killed their brother in self-defense: 'Yes, he's robbing them — oh well!'

Quote:
According to Rappley's siblings, who spoke with WHIO, it was "wrong" that the employee shot their brother in self-defense.

"He's got some responsibility, but not all," Rappley's sister said. "Right and wrong is wrong, that was wrong for that clerk to shoot my brother in the chest."
Flashing back to the family who was outraged that a homeowner shot someone robbing her home. "You have to look at it from every child’s point of view that was raised in the hood,” Harris said. “You have to understand … how he gonna get his money to have clothes to go to school? You have to look at it from his point-of-view."
Old 10-15-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post
... Flashing back to the family who was outraged that a homeowner shot someone robbing her home. "You have to look at it from every child’s point of view that was raised in the hood,” Harris said. “You have to understand … how he gonna get his money to have clothes to go to school? You have to look at it from his point-of-view."
The law, and my moral compass, disagree.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Runner on his way to the Chicago Marathon disarmed a robber on the L. Robber, who turned out to have a long rap sheet, wasn't so tough without his gun.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGN
[Jean Paul] LaPierre grapples with the the robber and hold him against the side of the train, pulling the gun from his hand in the process.
A literal "gun-grabber" named "LaPierre"!

Presumably no relation to Wayne.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:20 AM
Charter Member

From a couple of days ago near Seattle, a woman returned home to her apartment to find the door kicked in. She called her husband, who came home from work and checked out the apartment, but when the husband came back outside the couple's next-door neighbor came at him with a hammer. The husband ordered the man to drop the weapon, then shot and wounded him.

The hammer-wielding neighbor is in custody at a local hospital; the shooter is reportedly cooperating with the local sheriff's department, who have said they believe he acted in self-defense. The couple had reportedly had some trouble with this neighbor before; he presumably was also the person who kicked in their door. The neighbor will also face an escape charge related to a separate incident.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

From earlier this month in Andrews, Texas, a man stabbed a woman in the parking lot of the local post office; when law enforcement arrived the suspect was already being held at gunpoint by two witnesses to the attack (the attacker had reportedly threatened one of the gun-toting citizens as well). The woman was treated and released at a local hospital; her knife-wielding attacker was charged and arrested.
Old 10-25-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoilerVirgin View Post
I would agree that the process that led to an individual becoming a criminal is tragic.

But I strongly disagree that violent death is a deserved conclusion. This is what I meant when I said that we don't have the death penalty for burglary (here in California, the death penalty is only for murder or treason). And I can't possibly say that someone had a miserable scumbag existence because of one criminal act. I guess dehumanizing people as scumbags makes it easier to justify killing them, but to me the violent death of a human being is still tragic.

Of course we don't have the death penalty for burglary. He wasn't tried, found guilty and shot. He was shot because the person he was robbing didn't know exactly what his intentions were, and had every right to defend themselves from someone they suspected might kill them (because sadly, robberies that end in murder DO happen).

And I'm not going to cry over someone contributing so little to the world that they thought it was a good idea to rob someone to begin with. Not saying they necessarily 'deserved' death, but neither does someone who jumps into a lion's zoo exhibit trying to 'pet the kitty'. I'm just just going to mourn them, sorry.
Old 10-25-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
The law, and my moral compass, disagree.
You mean not having the money for gas last week DOESN'T give me the right to threaten someone's life while taking their hard-earned cash? What??
Old 10-28-2019, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

From a couple of weeks ago in Franklin, Kentucky, two men, at least one of whom was armed with a handgun, attempted to rob a cellular phone store. The store owner drew his own gun and (according to the police report) "chased the suspects from the store". It does not appear from the report that any shots were fired.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

From earlier this month in New York City, of all places: An employee at a Bronx grocery store reported that a man with a gun tried to rob him at around 1 a.m.; the employee (who reportedly is licensed to carry a firearm) shot the would-be robber several times, leaving him in critical condition (a different article reports that the injured man is in "critical but stable condition" and has "been placed under arrest with charges pending"). From the first article, "Officials said the store employee has not been arrested but that the investigation is ongoing".
Old 11-03-2019, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

From a couple of weeks ago in Columbia, South Carolina: A man pulled a gun on another man and attempted to rob him outside a convenience store. The victim pulled his own gun and held the attempted robber until police arrived. It turned out that the robber's "gun" was an airsoft gun, but the guy with the pellet gun was still charged with armed robbery.

(As one of the things the would-be airsoft robber tried to steal from his victim was a small amount of marijuana, the robbery victim was cited for possession of marijuana. Bad, bad, naughty Good Guy With Gun!)
Old 11-03-2019, 07:24 PM

Several shots and homeowner only hit the guy once? I wonder if the first shots were warning shots?

This guy was sure determined to break in.
https://denver.cbslocal.com/2019/11/...on-rivers/amp/

Quote:
According to Denver Police, Rivers attempted to break into the home through the front door.

When he was unsuccessful, he began damaging furniture and broke the front window of the home. Rivers later tried to enter the home again through the front window and the homeowner fired several shots, striking him once in the arm, police said.

One of the people inside the home when the shooting happened confirmed all of the information with CBS4
So, the guy's neighbor tried breaking in? Or did Rivers go over there for help? Confusing story.
Quote:
Following the shooting, Rivers went to the home next door. The homeowner, who also did not want to be on camera, shared photos of the crime scene to CBS4.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-03-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Several shots and homeowner only hit the guy once? I wonder if the first shots were warning shots?

This guy was sure determined to break in.
https://denver.cbslocal.com/2019/11/...on-rivers/amp/

So, the guy's neighbor tried breaking in? Or did Rivers go over there for help? Confusing story.
I don't see the confusion. Rivers, no doubt under the influence of some chemical, tried to gain access to the interior of the homeowner's dwelling. He failed to do so, and began destroying exterior furniture and trying to use the furniture to break a window and gain entry. He wasn't dissuaded from this until he got shot, whereupon he decided to try next door.

Sounds like a combination of a methhead and their odd fixation on repetitive movements or tasks, and a homeowner that was terrified out of his mind. It's one thing to shoot on a well lit range, where the target isn't moving and trying to hurt you. It's another to shoot at someone in probably poor light, when you weren't expecting to have to use a gun that day, when the target is obscured and moving, and pounding on your house.

Cops miss all the time, and they're supposed to be somewhat prepared for this sort of thing. I think the homeowner did all right, at least from the limited facts we're given.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:17 PM

I'm sure the homeowner was very frightened. Home invasions are the reason I keep guns in three rooms of my house. There's not much time to respond when someone is trying to kick in a door or window.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I'm sure the homeowner was very frightened. Home invasions are the reason I keep guns in three rooms of my house. There's not much time to respond when someone is trying to kick in a door or window.
Do what you want, but if you aren't foreign (often deal in cash, won't usually go to the cops) or involved in crime, home invasions are spectacularly rare. Like, make sure your lightning protection is up to date before stashing guns in every room of the house.

Further, have some means of slowing people down that want to enter your home. Gates, fences, hedges under windows. Pets that will alert on the presence of a stranger. You could go full Ducati and have proximity alarms on the driveway. All of this is to buy time to alert you to deal with this new person seeking to enter your home.

YMMV.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:56 PM

Homeowner overpowered and pistol whipped. His 8 month pregnant wife saves the family with AR-15.

That's one bad ass momma. I'm impressed that she returned fire. Bad guy made it outside before collapsing in ditch.
https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/ne...aving-his-life
Quote:
They came in heavily hooded and masked. As soon as they had got the back door opened, they had a pistol on me and was grabbing my 11-year-old daughter,” he said.

“I’m telling them, ‘I have nothing for you,’" King explained. "(A)nd they’re like, ‘Give me everything you got.’ It became real violent, real fast.”

King said one of the men started pistol-whipping him while another kicked him repeatedly in the head. His wife, who is eight months pregnant, was in the back bedroom and peeked out to see what was going on.

King said one of the men shot at her. She retreated, grabbed an AR-15 and returned fire.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-04-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:15 PM

There probably is more to that story. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a connection between the homeowner and these men.

The family is very lucky to have survived. This could have ended very badly. The father took one heck of a beating.
Follow up
https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/ne...sion-in-lithia

Quote:
Investigators said they do not believe the break-in was a random home invasion.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-04-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

From last month in Duffield, Virginia, a man forced his way into an apartment (whose resident is described by local law enforcement as "really badly handicapped"). The homeowner shot and wounded the intruder, who is now in custody. The shooter will likely face no charges.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

From a couple of weeks ago in Burlington, North Carolina, a man used an axe to try to break down the door of a house one Sunday morning. The axe-wielding would-be burglar fled upon being confronted by the homeowner, who was wielding a shotgun. The suspected axe burglar was subsequently arrested.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

From last week in Belle Mina, Alabama, authorities say a fatal shooting appears to have been in self-defense: A local man reportedly attacked the resident of a home when that man came home after midnight and discovered an intruder inside the home; the resident then fatally shot the intruder.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

From a couple of weeks ago in Taylors, SC, a man forced his way into a woman's home, grabbed her by the neck, and threw her to the ground. When the woman drew a pistol, the man fled (and is apparently still at large as of last report).
Old 12-04-2019, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

From a couple of weeks ago in Benton Township, Michigan, two masked men, at least one of whom was armed with a handgun, forced their way into an apartment on a weekday night. They threatened the people in the front room of the apartment (including two adult men, one adult woman, and three children) but the renter of the apartment, who was in a back bedroom, confronted the intruders after arming himself with a rifle. In the ensuing shootout one of the would-be home invaders was fatally wounded; although the attackers reportedly returned fire, none of the occupants of the apartment were injured. The second perpetrator fled, and it does not appear that any arrests have been made.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

From a few days ago in Chicago, two men, at least one of whom was armed with a handgun, attempted to rob a man outside a Chicago business on Sunday afternoon. The victim of the attempted robbery, who has a concealed carry license, drew his own handgun and opened fire; one of the would-be robbers was apparently hit and wounded.

(That article also details another armed robbery from that same day--the two robberies don't necessarily seem to be related--but which is worth mentioning because the victim in that crime reportedly complied with the robbers' demands and handed over his property. One of his attackers shot him in the neck anyway, and the victim in that case is now in critical condition at a Chicago hospital.)
Old 12-06-2019, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

From last week in Ellenwood, Georgia, a delivery truck driver stumbled onto an armed robbery at a local fast food restaurant; after seeing employees running out the back door and hearing a woman screaming for help, the driver got his gun from his truck and went inside the restaurant, where he shot and wounded the would-be robber. The wounded man fled and was later arrested.
Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

From last week in Chicago, a bystander witnessed two men arguing aboard a CTA train, with one of the men then punching and kicking the other and taking some of the other man's personal items. The bystander, who has an Illinois concealed carry license, then drew his handgun and held the apparent aggressor until police arrived.

The man who was held at gunpoint was still in custody pending charges as of that report. Interestingly enough, although it is illegal to carry on public transit in Illinois (even with a valid permit), the police reportedly released the CCL holder without criminal charges.
Old Yesterday, 05:42 PM

Quote:
...'Interestingly enough, although it is illegal to carry on public transit in Illinois (even with a valid permit), the police reportedly released the CCL holder without criminal charges.
First thought I had when I read your story. I wouldn't have gotten involved were I the CHL holder.

Stunned they're not charging him.

Over/under on the time before robber's back on the street? I'll bet a few days at most, with eventual disposition of the case resulting in less than two year's prison time.