Old 11-18-2019, 10:19 AM

Mark Elliott, EconMobility:
Quote:
Yesterday, Trump pardoned Edward Gallagher over Pentagon objections:
- He shot a girl in a flower-print hijab who was walking with other girls.
- Stabbed a wounded teen to death as he was being treated by medics.
- Shot an unarmed man in a white robe.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walken After Midnight View Post
Mark Elliott, EconMobility:
That guy's a serial killer and now he knows he has the President's backing. Now he knows he can get away with it.
They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:37 AM

I figured Trump out .

To be sure Trump is waging a petty war of vengeance and stabbing at your heart. That's all he is doing, along with getting his name on everything he can. That is the reason he does much of these bad things, things that bring tears to your eyes. Trump does not mind the support of the conservative right, but doesn't care about them, but just how Trump can use them to effect his plan of revenge and becoming a god like leader of the world.

Don't be mistaken, he doesn't care about anything but himself and in that he wants to making you cry, it is personal, he is taking revenge upon you, and all those he perceives who have hurt him, which includes those on the left as people on the left have stopped some of his real estate projects, and caused other interference with his majesty and his plans. He will do whatever it takes to hurt you as deeply as he can - you are his target - not the separated children who are jailed and being sexually abused - he doesn't care anything about them, not the drilling for oil off of the coasts and the potential environmental impact, not the loss of forests - he wants to hurt you personally.

He is a enemy of the human heart. It is only once we realize what he is doing, and what his motivations really are that we can come together to defend our nation from this devil from hell who is set against us.

Last edited by kanicbird; 11-19-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:11 PM

Individual 1 tweeted an alleged Nancy Pelosi quote that was made up by a Fox News idiot.
https://m.sfgate.com/news/article/Tr...t-14845745.php
Old 11-19-2019, 02:41 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
“God damn it! I could have been murdering people all along!”
Not an irrational response to these latest shameful pardons.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanicbird View Post
I figured Trump out .

To be sure Trump is waging a petty war of vengeance and stabbing at your heart. That's all he is doing, along with getting his name on everything he can. That is the reason he does much of these bad things, things that bring tears to your eyes. Trump does not mind the support of the conservative right, but doesn't care about them, but just how Trump can use them to effect his plan of revenge and becoming a god like leader of the world.

Don't be mistaken, he doesn't care about anything but himself and in that he wants to making you cry, it is personal, he is taking revenge upon you, and all those he perceives who have hurt him, which includes those on the left as people on the left have stopped some of his real estate projects, and caused other interference with his majesty and his plans. He will do whatever it takes to hurt you as deeply as he can - you are his target - not the separated children who are jailed and being sexually abused - he doesn't care anything about them, not the drilling for oil off of the coasts and the potential environmental impact, not the loss of forests - he wants to hurt you personally.

He is a enemy of the human heart. It is only once we realize what he is doing, and what his motivations really are that we can come together to defend our nation from this devil from hell who is set against us.
I get that you are experiencing some profound feelings about this right now and you are not wrong. But a lot of people knew this before he was elected. Some of them voted for him anyway. Plenty of those continue to support him despite all the additional evidence.

You think things are bad. I think they are far worse than that.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
You think things are bad. I think they are far worse than that.
Now, kids, it isn't a competition. You can both be maniacally batshit despairing.

Besides, if asahi chimed in you'd both lose the I Have Been Plunged Into The Maelstrom of Insanity by Current Events award.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
I'm devastated.

It's not your opinion about Trump that's at issue.
You know what, I can understand your misinterpreting my initial post. I'm not a great writer, and I dashed that post off while watching TV, so maybe it wasn't as clear as it could have been, although that still doesn't excuse your deliberately vicious misquote.

But when I clarify it for you, and even tell you I'm a vet, and you still insist I was disparaging the military, then you're simply being willfully ignorant to not revise your interpretation. And when you harp on it like you are, you're simply being a dick.

And if my word isn't good enough for you, I just realized why I wrote what I did about the troops: it was near the surface of my subconscious thoughts because I had said essentially the same thing about myself the week before.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...6&postcount=15
Old 11-19-2019, 10:03 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySinclair View Post
You know what, I can understand your misinterpreting my initial post.

I misinterpreted nothing.

Quote:
I'm not a great writer, and I dashed that post off while watching TV, so maybe it wasn't as clear as it could have been, although that still doesn't excuse your deliberately vicious misquote.

I misquoted nothing.

Quote:
But when I clarify it for you, and even tell you I'm a vet, and you still insist I was disparaging the military, then you're simply being willfully ignorant to not revise your interpretation. And when you harp on it like you are, you're simply being a dick.

No, you jackass. I'm pointed out how your crappy writing says what it said. You want it to say something else? Write better.

Quote:
And if my word isn't good enough for you, I just realized why I wrote what I did about the troops: it was near the surface of my subconscious thoughts because I had said essentially the same thing about myself the week before.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...6&postcount=15

I don't give a fuck what you "said about yourself" a week ago, yesterday, or a decade ago. What I cared about was what you wrote upthread. You attempt to both walk it back and not walk it back, but paint me as the bad guy here.

Again: quit digging.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:11 PM

Hey, everybody, if someone misquotes you or misunderstands you, make an attempt to set the record straight and then... stop! It just perpetuates dozens of insulting "Nuh-uh, no you!" posts, and it's not like your nemesis is going to say "Oh, your caustic jab has suddenly made me see the error of my ways. I've been such a fool."

No one wants to open this thread assuming they'll read new ways Trump has pissed us off, and instead it's how Moe has pissed off Larry.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:48 PM

By going on that stupid Fox morning show with Steve Ookie, phone/voice only, and ranting angrily about investigating Obama Administration people while the 3 idiots just sit there staring into the camera. He sounds pretty pissed off for someone who claims to be in a good mood all the time.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:10 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

He sounded like Captain Queeg explaining the Strawberry Plot.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:25 PM

Question: Is the Trump family heavily invested in vaping products?

Raised by:
Trump Warns a Flavor Ban Would Spawn Counterfeit Vaping Products
The president again questioned the need for restrictions on e-cigarettes aimed at curbing use among teenagers, who tend to favor fruit and mint flavors.

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Two months after announcing that he planned to ban the sale of most flavored e-cigarettes, President Trump on Friday once again raised concerns about such restrictions during a lively, televised White House meeting that brought together top executives from the health community and the tobacco and vaping industries.
Why else would he give a fuck? Unless he stands to lose or make money on the outcome?
Old 11-22-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Question: Is the Trump family heavily invested in vaping products?

Raised by:
Trump Warns a Flavor Ban Would Spawn Counterfeit Vaping Products
The president again questioned the need for restrictions on e-cigarettes aimed at curbing use among teenagers, who tend to favor fruit and mint flavors.

Why else would he give a fuck? Unless he stands to lose or make money on the outcome?
The assumption that Trump reversed course out of financial self-interest seems a fairly safe one.

In fact, the sum total of Trump-family cashing-in on "deals" involving American corporations alone---leaving aside the Trump cashing-in with regard to taxpayer payments into Trump's pocket, represented by Secret Service and other government services Trump charges for, etc.---is probably staggeringly large.

But there are "political concerns" that are being used to explain the reversal:

Quote:
... Officials said the blowback to Trump’s vow to ban most flavored e-cigarettes had rattled him. In an aggressive social media campaign — #IVapeIVote — advocates claimed the ban would shut down thousands of shops, eliminating jobs and sending vapers back to cigarettes. The president saw protesters at events and read critical articles. His campaign manager, Brad Parscale, privately warned the ban could hurt him in battleground states ...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...7ec_story.html

If the Trump family is making money from Trump's declarations and reversals, that will be hard to prove. But who'd be surprised if they were?

The story of the mysteriously-profitable stock trades made in tandem with Trump's pronouncements or with world events he'd be privy to, of course, was told in that famous Vanity Fair article last month:

Quote:
In the last 10 minutes of trading at the Chicago Mercantile Exchange on Friday, September 13, someone got very lucky. That’s when he or she, or a group of people, sold short 120,000 “S&P e-minis”—electronically traded futures contracts linked to the Standard & Poor’s 500 stock index—when the index was trading around 3010. The time was 3:50 p.m. in New York; it was nearing midnight in Tehran. A few hours later, drones attacked a large swath of Saudi Arabia’s oil infrastructure, choking off production in the country and sending oil prices soaring. By the time the CME next opened, for pretrading on Sunday night, the S&P index had fallen 30 points, giving that very fortunate trader, or traders, a quick $180 million profit.

It was not an isolated occurrence. ....
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019...p-chaos-trades
Old 12-02-2019, 11:25 PM
SDSAB

POTUS's latest lies - maybe he doesn't understand what "debunked" means: https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...racy/23872662/
Old 12-02-2019, 11:34 PM

How has President Trump pissed you off today?

Did he wake up this morning? Breathing?

OK, I'm pissed.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:55 AM

The lies just keep on coming.

‘I Don’t Know Prince Andrew,’ Trump Says. Photos Say Otherwise.
Quote:
...“I don’t know Prince Andrew, but it’s a tough story,” Mr. Trump told reporters while visiting London for a NATO meeting, adding: “I don’t know him, no.” But the two have been photographed together repeatedly, including this year.

The “I don’t know him” formulation is one that Mr. Trump has often reached for when asked about people whom it has become painful or perilous to discuss, including Matthew G. Whitaker, his rejected choice for attorney general; and Gordon D. Sondland, his ambassador to the European Union.

During his state visit to Britain in June, Mr. Trump toured Westminster Abbey in London with the prince, and they were photographed laughing together.

There are also photographs of the two men together years ago.

Mr. Trump and his then-girlfriend, Melania Knauss — who is now the first lady — were seen with the prince at least twice in 2000: once at the opening of Hudson Hotel in New York and, more intimately, at Mr. Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Oh, that Prince Andrew!
Old 12-03-2019, 12:42 PM

I swear, if his kids ever get indicted for anything he'll claim he doesn't know them. Then again, the way he speaks of Barron you'd think that kid is a pet of Melania's rather than a mutual child.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

The House Intelligence Committee impeachment report is out.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
I swear, if his kids ever get indicted for anything he'll claim he doesn't know them. Then again, the way he speaks of Barron you'd think that kid is a pet of Melania's rather than a mutual child.
If I recall correctly, he's never shown much interest in any of his offspring until they hit their late teens or so, when they can become useful to him. Ivanka might be an exception, but for the most part he seems to expect the mother to do 99.999% of the parenting. Makes me wonder why the main 3 seem to adore him so.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:13 PM

A billion (or so it was supposed to be) bucks.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:18 PM

A mixture of Missing Parent Syndrome and Disapproving Parent Syndrome. They probably have different names in the DSM.

I see the first in children of separated or divorced parents who have an absent or almost absent parent. My cousins' father would pick them up reluctantly once a month, wouldn't feed them all day, bring them back at a time they would normally have been in bed already. But, because he was the parent who never was there to ask "have you done your homework" or get the kids out of bed and ready to school, my cousins idolized him. Eventually he simply stopped picking them up, and they idolized him still. It took my cousin running into him in the street (his home and theirs are just four blocks apart, in a city where walking is the most frequent mode of transportation) and him spitting to her "I don't have a daughter; who knows who that whore made you with" to realize that the semen donor was a complete jerk.

The second is an impulse all children have: we want to be loved by our parents, and why would we not? It's as basic a survival mechanism as I can think of, specially in a species as social as ours and with such a long childhood. And when a parent is impossible to please, we twist ourselves into shapes that Escher would need LSD to follow.

Last edited by Nava; 12-03-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
He's mentioned him?
Old 12-03-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
...Makes me wonder why the main 3 seem to adore him so.
Never got to know him.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
He's mentioned him?
referring to his wife, Melania: "She's got a son... together."

Old 12-03-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
If I recall correctly, he's never shown much interest in any of his offspring until they hit their late teens or so, when they can become useful to him. Ivanka might be an exception, but for the most part he seems to expect the mother to do 99.999% of the parenting. Makes me wonder why the main 3 seem to adore him so.
Stockholm Syndrome?
They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:17 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
....the way he speaks of Barron you'd think that kid is a pet of Melania's rather than a mutual child.
How do we know he’s a mutual child? Does he not resemble an ex-pool boy?
Old 12-03-2019, 06:36 PM

Have you seen any pictures of the boy? If he isn't DJT's, he's Eric's or DJr's, and I doubt either of them would dare ride their father's mare.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:25 PM

Individual 1's campaign congratulated Tulsi Gabbard after Kamala Harris dropped out.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ce/2598211001/
Old 12-11-2019, 01:44 PM
SDSAB

His political handlers won't even leave poor Thanos alone: https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...e-impeachment/
Old 12-11-2019, 02:41 PM

Mocking a security guard for NOT assaulting a woman.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlierrn View Post
Mocking a security guard for NOT assaulting a woman.
Huh? Please don't make me go through Cheetolini's tweets.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:51 AM
SDSAB

He said it in a rally speech, not a tweet: https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...ont-want-to-be
Old 12-12-2019, 03:14 PM

Pastor Who Sermonized That Jews Are Going to Hell Was Trump’s Pick to Speak at White House Hanukkah Reception

https://www.theroot.com/pastor-who-s...s-t-1840391346

From the article:
"According to HuffPost, Jeffress has a history of spouting hateful comments.

In 2010, he called both Islam and Mormonism “a heresy from the pit of hell,” then issued a warning to Jews.

“Judaism ― you can’t be saved being a Jew,” he declared on the Trinity Broadcasting Network.

In a 2009 sermon, he said:

“Not only do religions like Mormonism, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, not only do they lead people away from the true God, they lead people to an eternity of separation from God in hell. You know, Jesus was very clear. Hell is not only going to be populated by murderers and drug dealers and child abusers. Hell is going to be filled with good religious people who have rejected the truth of Christ.”
Old Yesterday, 06:21 AM

Countdown to Pastor Jeffress being revealed to be a child abuser himself in five....four...three...
Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Countdown to Pastor Jeffress being revealed to be a child abuser himself in five....four...three...
Countdown to anyone in the Republican party giving a shit if it happens in .... never .... never .... never .... never .... never....
Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM

Republican party platform:
Pro rape (a good woman could stop the rape, pregnancy, if only a gun).
Pro gun - See above plus inaction on gun control; ~40,000 gun deaths a year are not enough; let's give mentally ill veterans who are prone to suicide better access.
Pro sexual harassment - See Trump, Donald.
Pro racism - again See Trump, Donald.
Pro white supremacy - any number of aides especially the painted on hair nazi.
Pro rich - See tax cuts for corporations/wealthy.
Pro Child Abuse - See border detentions and separations, Jeffery (never met the guy) Epstein.
Anti Science - See Climate change stance. See religious influence (evolution denier as head of house science committee [when they controlled the house].
Anti constitution - except blatant misreading of 2nd amendment.
Anti-press - unless it's a wholly controlled subsidiary; See Faux, Sinclair, other chains.

I'm sure there are a few missing.

Last edited by smithsb; Yesterday at 01:07 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM

smithsb, I would certainly add:

Pro-Russian.
Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM

Anti-education - Betsy 'bless her heart' DeVos
Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM

Anti-enrvironment. Let's buy a bunch of plastic straws and throw them in the ocean just to piss off the libtards.
Old Yesterday, 10:33 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
Anti-enrvironment. Let's buy a bunch of plastic straws and throw them in the ocean just to piss off the libtards.
Not to mention climate-change denial, opening up Federal lands to drilling, mining and timbering, etc.
Old Yesterday, 10:59 PM

He woke up this morning? Breathing? Yeah, I'm pissed.