Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-16-2019, 05:22 PM
Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 36,462

From me to Louis C.K.: You can fuck off and die now


I was almost completely unaware of Louis C.K. back in the 1990s, even though I had Comedy Central on around the clock. Going back for old clips, I do recognize a few of his bits, but none of them made a big impression on me.

Then he burst onto my radar in 2010 with his anthology/comedy/drama show on
FX, Louie. I loved this show and it made Louis C.K. a comedy hero of mine. My wife and I would watch it together, enthusiastically singing along to the theme song "Brother Louie," anticipating an episode of humor, introspection, drama, and humanity.

Louis and I are almost exactly the same age. He spoke truths about being a man that I identified with. And he did them in a way that seemed to be on a path of self-examination and self-betterment. I felt a kind of pride in seeing him sincerely struggle to be a better person, and to do it in a funny way.

After the accusations of sexual improprieties came out against him, I liked his initial response that he would take time to listen.

However, since then he's been disappointing me, and his late December show was vile.

He mocked Parkland survivors. He made jokes about race and penis size. He mocked trans people. He used a bit whose premise were that "Asian men are actually women."

https://www.vulture.com/2018/12/loui...nonbinary.html

When someone called him out on it, he complained that his life was over. Apparently this justified racism, sexism, and plain being a vile shithead.

And no mention of the women he victimized, the women whose careers he sabotaged. Did you do anything to make restitution to them?

You broke my heart Louis. You're still a rich motherfucker. Why don't you just go live in that hidden world where rich assholes go to get away from the rest of us?

Oh, and I also loved Janeane Garofalo's stand-up starting in the early 1990s to. I admired her turn to liberal activism. I didn't always agree with everything she said, but she could still be funny, even though it seemed she was increasingly becoming weird and alienated.

Now, apparently, she just wants everyone to leave Louis alone, because no one can truly understand what Louis is going through.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/01/jane...k-podcast.html

The pain Louis feels!!!! Fuck you, Janeane Garofalo.
  #2  
Old 01-16-2019, 05:35 PM
Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 36,462
And add to that list Aziz Ansari.

This is an even bigger heartbreaker to me, because Aziz made me laugh so much harder than Louis, and he's an Indian-American, a guy like me who is doing so well. I foolishly felt so much pride regarding him.

Aziz also had a #MeToo moment, one much less serious than Louis's, but still a serious one. He could easily have used that moment to grow and change and make amends.

In fact, I liked the Aziz situation even better, because it was an opportunity to change society expectations about how men and women interact. To finally show that, no, persistence on the part of men is not something that should be valued. "No" not only means "no," but also means "don't ask a second time."

So, Aziz is performing again now, and a large part of his act is complaining about how just anyone can comment on his behavior now.

https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-dr...g-aziz-ansari/

Shit, can't you just be a human, Aziz?
  #3  
Old 01-16-2019, 05:38 PM
griffen2 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 259
Quote:
Aziz also had a #MeToo moment, one much less serious than Louis's, but still a serious one. He could easily have used that moment to grow and change and make amends.
Please. He had a bad date. That one was a big fuss over nothing.
  #4  
Old 01-16-2019, 05:40 PM
Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 36,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffen2 View Post
Please. He had a bad date. That one was a big fuss over nothing.
The fuss was proportional. It was a smaller issue, and the fuss was smaller.

I disagree it was over nothing. It was a good lesson for men in our society to learn. You don't push. You wait for enthusiastic consent.
  #5  
Old 01-16-2019, 05:52 PM
griffen2 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 259
The fuss should've been non-existent. Aziz Ansari did nothing wrong.
  #6  
Old 01-16-2019, 05:55 PM
Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 36,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffen2 View Post
The fuss should've been non-existent. Aziz Ansari did nothing wrong.
If it came to my attention that someone in my life behaved the way Aziz did, then I would tell him to stop being an asshole. If he told me he thought he did nothing wrong and he wasn't going to change, I would stop being his friend. Either way, I would warn women in my life of his behavior.

So, I guess that in my view, he did do something wrong. And provided that everything stated in the Babe article was true -- https://babe.net/2018/01/13/aziz-ansari-28355 -- then he deserved the degree of humiliation he got.

Last edited by Acsenray; 01-16-2019 at 05:57 PM.
  #7  
Old 01-16-2019, 06:01 PM
echoreply's Avatar
echoreply is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Louis and I are almost exactly the same age. He spoke truths about being a man that I identified with. And he did them in a way that seemed to be on a path of self-examination and self-betterment. I felt a kind of pride in seeing him sincerely struggle to be a better person, and to do it in a funny way.
I agree with pretty much everything you wrote. Louis CK had great incites into adulthood and parenthood, and it's really a shame that he doesn't have a voice that should be listened to anymore.

I initially thought his apology was pretty good, though my opinion on that doesn't really count. But then he went and didn't follow through with showing he had learned and grown. I was actually looking forward to his comeback, where he would talk about how he understood what he did was wrong, and how it hurt people, but was funny and showed he had grown as a person. Oh well.

I'm going to paraphrase this wrong, and also miss attribute it, but I think Chris Rock said something along of the lines of: "Bill Cosby was a great comedian who broke down barriers and was a role model to so many. To bad he's dead now." Sorry to see Louis CK might be headed down the same path.
  #8  
Old 01-16-2019, 06:17 PM
Vinyl Turnip is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 20,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
This is an even bigger heartbreaker to me, because Aziz made me laugh so much harder than Louis, and he's an Indian-American, a guy like me who is doing so well. I foolishly felt so much pride regarding him.
For me it's the opposite. I've never found Aziz Ansari to be very funny, but thought his supposed offense was way overblown (and if you didn't read the entire thing, that Mother Jones article you cited is actually pretty sympathetic toward him.) Louis CK, whom I am a fan of, was a massive creep, and it's disheartening if he is falling back on self-pity and what sound like some pretty lame, malformed attempts at humor.

Why couldn't it have been the other way around?
  #9  
Old 01-16-2019, 06:29 PM
MortSahlFan is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: US
Posts: 544
I just hope people aren't saying what they THINK they're supposed to say according to "social media"

Like usual, people go after nothing-burgers instead of the true oppressors.
  #10  
Old 01-16-2019, 06:30 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 36,156
I endorse the OP. I was a huge fan of Louis CK and my wife and I had seen him live 3 times or more. I thought his initial apology was not great, but still better than most, which isn't saying much. But now he seems to have devolved into self-pity, and perhaps much worse, at least based on his most recent jokes, seems to be flirting with right-wing nonsense, since those are probably the only assholes who seem to welcome abuse and abusers with open arms.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 01-16-2019 at 06:31 PM.
  #11  
Old 01-16-2019, 06:40 PM
pool is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Inside
Posts: 4,665
It's weird how people keep repeating this fake nonsense that he's some right-wing or alt right comic now or something. He's the guy that was always fuck Trump and all this stuff, where did this narrative come from all of the sudden? Because of offensive material, umm he's been doing that for years.

I still like Louis C.K.'s material, he did some uncool shit but it doesn't affect my enjoyment of his material, I'd pay to see him today if he was touring near me.

Aziz Anzari has made me chuckle from time to time but I find him mostly unfunny, I believe the outrage over his fate gone wrong or whatever, was complete bullshit from what I've read of the encounter.
__________________
"You can do anything you set your mind to...But money helps"

Last edited by pool; 01-16-2019 at 06:40 PM.
  #12  
Old 01-16-2019, 06:44 PM
HMS Irruncible is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,729
Yeah I'm really disappointed in Louis C. K. He had some really funny insights, loved his TV series. His offense was disappointing to say the least, but I thought he was self-aware and woke enough to actually make amends and a sincere comeback. I thought he was capable and his fans and maybe even his victims would have gone for it.

Guess that shows what I know.

I feel the same about Aziz too. I think he actually got a bad rap on that, but whatever, public opinion is what it is. He could have embraced the moment and made a sincere comeback but he's decided to play the aggrieved political correctness shtick.

Last edited by HMS Irruncible; 01-16-2019 at 06:46 PM.
  #13  
Old 01-16-2019, 06:50 PM
Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 36,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
Because of offensive material, umm he's been doing that for years.
Yeah, you’re not even trying to understand why people are angry. It has nothing to do with being anti-Trump.

Your uses of the words “offensive” and “uncool” reflect your need to think more deeply.

Last edited by Acsenray; 01-16-2019 at 06:52 PM.
  #14  
Old 01-16-2019, 06:54 PM
RitterSport's Avatar
RitterSport is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
I just hope people aren't saying what they THINK they're supposed to say according to "social media"

Like usual, people go after nothing-burgers instead of the true oppressors.
Social media has told me to tell you to go jump in a lake, you threadshitting asshole. People can "go after" more than one thing -- should we open 20 more Trump threads and then a few on that Brazilian guy? Why can't we discuss those things AND this?

Anyway, I didn't listen to the audio because I'm already so disappointed with him. I loved his stuff! But, then the weird shit he did came out and it had a backwards effect of making some of his old material just creepy instead of funny. Hearing about his new racist stuff was enough to turn me off forever.
  #15  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:00 PM
pool is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Inside
Posts: 4,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Yeah, you’re not even trying to understand why people are angry. It has nothing to do with being anti-Trump.

Your uses of the words “offensive” and “uncool” reflect your need to think more deeply.
I'm not talking about people being angered by his actions, Im talking about how in several threads and other online sources people are calling him right-wing or an alt right comic now, where did that come from? His leaked recent material? He was always offensive in his act.
__________________
"You can do anything you set your mind to...But money helps"

Last edited by pool; 01-16-2019 at 07:01 PM.
  #16  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:05 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 36,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
I'm not talking about people being angered by his actions, Im talking about how in several threads and other online sources people are calling him right-wing or an alt right comic now, where did that come from? His leaked recent material? He was always offensive in his act.
What does "offensive" have to do with right-wing? Yeah, he always used bad language and talked about taboo topics. But that's not the same thing as right-wing at all. Based on the leaked recordings and other descriptions, a significant part of his new shtick seems to be based on demeaning minorities and transgender people. That's a new thing for him, and reasonably characterized as alt-right or right-wing.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 01-16-2019 at 07:07 PM.
  #17  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:10 PM
Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 36,462
[QUOTE=pool;21435119]It's weird how people keep
Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
I'm not talking about people being angered by his actions, Im talking about how in several threads and other online sources people are calling him right-wing or an alt right comic now, where did that come from? His leaked recent material? He was always offensive in his act.
Try to be a better man than you are. It isn’t as hard as you are afraid of
  #18  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:10 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
I'm not talking about people being angered by his actions, Im talking about how in several threads and other online sources people are calling him right-wing or an alt right comic now, where did that come from? His leaked recent material? He was always offensive in his act.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
What does "offensive" have to do with right-wing? Yeah, he always used bad language and talked about taboo topics. But that's not the same thing as right-wing at all. Based on the leaked recordings and other descriptions, a significant part of his new shtick seems to be based on demeaning minorities and transgender people. That's a new thing for him, and reasonably characterized as alt-right or right-wing.
Yes, because it's punching down.

Louis C.K. didn't used to punch down. Now he does. That's ugly. (And, yeah, it's a right-wing kind of ugliness.)
  #19  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:16 PM
pool is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Inside
Posts: 4,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
What does "offensive" have to do with right-wing? Yeah, he always used bad language and talked about taboo topics. But that's not the same thing as right-wing at all. Based on the leaked recordings and other descriptions, a significant part of his new shtick seems to be based on demeaning minorities and transgender people. That's a new thing for him, and reasonably characterized as alt-right or right-wing.
Really the guy who said nigger in his act and talked about how great it is to be white and how slavery was the greatest thing ever invented, that Asian babies were horrible things, jokes that Jews needed to leave his show, you didn't pick up on any of this before? Well you might say he was making a greater social point or something if you look at the full context of his routines and bits. But he's made many one-off offensive statements in his jokes over the years.

Did you listen to the entirety of his recent leaked material or just read isolated quotations? Oh and it's easy to find plenty more offensive things he's said about trannies, minorities, all kinds of offensive things he's said out there on the web.

I guess my point would be to argue that either you were unaware of all the stuff he has said or you changed your opinion based on his actions against women but you can't have it both ways.
I'll have to disagree with you that he has changed his act in some way to become an "alt-right" comic whatever that is, he hasn't really changed from the old days.
__________________
"You can do anything you set your mind to...But money helps"
  #20  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:22 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 36,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
Really the guy who said nigger in his act and talked about how great it is to be white and how slavery was the greatest thing ever invented, that Asian babies were horrible things, jokes that Jews needed to leave his show, you didn't pick up on any of this before? Well you might say he was making a greater social point or something if you look at the full context of his routines and bits. But he's made many one-off offensive statements in his jokes over the years.

Did you listen to the entirety of his recent leaked material or just read isolated quotations? Oh and it's easy to find plenty more offensive things he's said about trannies, minorities, all kinds of offensive things he's said out there on the web.

I guess my point would be to argue that either you were unaware of all the stuff he has said or you changed your opinion based on his actions against women but you can't have it both ways.
I'll have to disagree with you that he has changed his act in some way to become an "alt-right" comic whatever that is, he hasn't really changed from the old days.
I very clearly remember the many routines he did mocking white privilege, racism, white supremacism, misogyny, etc, using bad language and seemingly taboo (but almost always subversively progressive) language. Like how being a white man is so awesome -- everyone treats him so wonderfully, and he could take a time machine and go back to any point in history and be treated well (unlike, say, a black person, who wouldn't want to go back to any time before the 80s). A very funny routine that subversively mocks the domination that white supremacism has held over western society for many centuries.

I don't recall any routines prior to the recent leaks in which he was mocking and demeaning ethnic minorities or trans people.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 01-16-2019 at 07:23 PM.
  #21  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:23 PM
pool is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Inside
Posts: 4,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Yes, because it's punching down.

Louis C.K. didn't used to punch down. Now he does. That's ugly. (And, yeah, it's a right-wing kind of ugliness.)
Lol punching down, he was at the height of his popularity when he joked about how good fucking children must feel on SNL, is it possible to punch further down that that?
__________________
"You can do anything you set your mind to...But money helps"
  #22  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:25 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 36,156
Okay, I'll stop now. I take it that comedy fans like pool are the reason that Dave Chappelle left his show and went to South Africa.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 01-16-2019 at 07:25 PM.
  #23  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:28 PM
Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 36,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
Lol punching down, he was at the height of his popularity when he joked about how good fucking children must feel on SNL, is it possible to punch further down that that?
You don’t see the difference between — “Pedophiles must really enjoy having sex with children to risk getting caught”

And “Asian men are all really women”

You see no difference in the premises that underlie those jokes?

Merely using strong language or describing shocking actions is not what is bothering people about his latest jokes.

Both of those things might perhaps be labeled “offensive,” but they are jokes based on two different sets of premises, one that is funny and another that’s just demeaning to a group of people.
  #24  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:35 PM
octopus's Avatar
octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 9,471
These comedians must be trembling now that the SDMB scolds have pitted them.
  #25  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:37 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 36,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
These comedians must be trembling now that the SDMB scolds have pitted them.
Another A+ contribution from our eight-legged friend! Thank you, sir, for putting such effort into scintillating conversation and discussion, and making this board a better place. If there's one thing we can count on from octopus, it's someone who really thinks about things and puts a lot of effort into his posts, and doesn't just make lazy one-liners with no purpose. Thank you once again!
  #26  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:39 PM
pool is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Inside
Posts: 4,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
You don’t see the difference between — “Pedophiles must really enjoy having sex with children to risk getting caught”

And “Asian men are all really women”

You see no difference in the premises that underlie those jokes?

Merely using strong language or describing shocking actions is not what is bothering people about his latest jokes.

Both of those things might perhaps be labeled “offensive,” but they are jokes based on two different sets of premises, one that is funny and another that’s just demeaning to a group of people.
Do you have a link to his leaked set, the full bit instead of one quoted sentence, how do you know he wasn't making some weird point or something unless you watched it with an open mind and heard the entire thing?
__________________
"You can do anything you set your mind to...But money helps"
  #27  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:41 PM
HMS Irruncible is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
These comedians must be trembling now that the SDMB scolds have pitted them.
Just as your appearance heralds a discomfort akin to hearing a prankster child ringing a doorbell and then running away.
  #28  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:43 PM
pool is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Inside
Posts: 4,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Okay, I'll stop now. I take it that comedy fans like pool are the reason that Dave Chappelle left his show and went to South Africa.
Riiight and you are the guy that said he went to three shows of the guy that joked about how he pulled his dick out in front of a girl with Down's Syndrome behind a dumpster and how it's not ok to rape anyone unless they won't let you have sex with them, and masturbated on the playground of his children's school while volunteering. Dude if you don't like him anymore it's cool, but just say your a pussy that can't handle his humor, don't hide behind some made up alt-right comic thing, in any event you put a lot more money in the guy's wallet than I ever did.
__________________
"You can do anything you set your mind to...But money helps"
  #29  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:45 PM
Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 36,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
Riiight and you are the guy that said he went to three shows of the guy that joked about how he pulled his dick out in front of a girl with Down's Syndrome behind a dumpster and how it's not ok to rape anyone unless they won't let you have sex with them, and masturbated on the playground of his children's school while volunteering. Dude if you don't like him anymore it's cool, but just say your a pussy that can't handle his humor, don't hide behind some made up alt-right comic thing, in any event you put a lot more money in the guy's wallet than I ever did.
Come on. You're not really this dumb. Are you?
  #30  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:46 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 36,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
Riiight and you are the guy that said he went to three shows of the guy that joked about how he pulled his dick out in front of a girl with Down's Syndrome behind a dumpster and how it's not ok to rape anyone unless they won't let you have sex with them, and masturbated on the playground of his children's school while volunteering. Dude if you don't like him anymore it's cool, but just say your a pussy that can't handle his humor, don't hide behind some made up alt-right comic thing, in any event you put a lot more money in the guy's wallet than I ever did.
Another Doper mind reader! Kudos to you for your superhuman abilities! It couldn't be that other folks might see things differently... they must be lying and "a pussy".

Remember, with great power comes great responsibility. Please use your amazing powers for the benefit of all humanity!
  #31  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:47 PM
HMS Irruncible is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
Do you have a link to his leaked set, the full bit instead of one quoted sentence, how do you know he wasn't making some weird point or something unless you watched it with an open mind and heard the entire thing?
I'm a Louis CK fan who listened to it with an open mind, hoping for the best. Now, even though I hate whiteboy edgelords, I can recognize when they've come up with legit funny shit. Louis did not deliver. This was just an old fat dude going "dang kids these days with their pronouns and twitters, who can understand 'em".

I think the audio has been taken down. It was out there for a while. You'd have loved it, he made fun of transgenders and school shooting victims and asian men.
  #32  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:47 PM
Chisquirrel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Another Doper mind reader! Kudos to you for your superhuman abilities! It couldn't be that other folks might see things differently... they must be lying and "a pussy".

Remember, with great power comes great responsibility. Please use your amazing powers for the benefit of all humanity!
Idiocy isn't a power, no matter how many Republicans claim it to be so.
  #33  
Old 01-16-2019, 08:00 PM
monstro is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 20,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis C. K
You know, people tell you that when you get in trouble you find out who your real friends are. And turns out it’s black people — that’s who you can really count on. But it’s a true thing: When you get in trouble you find out who your real friends are. But people say that like it’s a good thing. That’s not a good thing, that’s a horrible experience! Who the fuck wants to know who your real friends are? I liked having a bunch of fake friends and not knowing who was who. It’s a terrible thing. You’re like “That’s my real friend? Oh fuck. That’s not the one I would’ve picked at all.” “I’m with you!” “Oh, thanks a lot, that’s great. Fuck.”
This would have be an okay joke if he had just left out the black people part.

His jokes about the Parkland kids were terrible for a number of reasons, but mostly because Fox News pundits already beat him to the punch. Laura Ingraham et al. have already plucked that low-hanging fruit. Not saying the entire topic should be off-limits, but if you're going to go there, you had better do something really different and clever with it.
  #34  
Old 01-16-2019, 08:35 PM
Elmore is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 72
I remember a leaked routine Louis did years back when he joked that 9/11 was ok because some of the people who died might’ve been assholes. He followed that up with about five minutes on whether it was wrong to rape a fetus. The guy’s always said fucked up stuff. It ain’t new.
  #35  
Old 01-16-2019, 08:39 PM
Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 36,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmore View Post
I remember a leaked routine Louis did years back when he joked that 9/11 was ok because some of the people who died might’ve been assholes. He followed that up with about five minutes on whether it was wrong to rape a fetus. The guy’s always said fucked up stuff. It ain’t new.
Again, look behind the fact that he's using shocking language or saying shocking things. It's the premise of the joke that's the issue.

Both of those are about shocking ideas, but the premise is something clever and insightful about humanity. Same with the "pedophiles must really love raping children." Those jokes are about something interesting behind the curtain. That's very different from the jokes that are pissing people off now.
  #36  
Old 01-16-2019, 08:46 PM
Elmore is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 72
The premise behind the 9/11 bit was totally not
meant to be clever. It was 100% about saying something fucked up to get a shock laugh. I’ll try find the clip
  #37  
Old 01-16-2019, 08:59 PM
pool is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Inside
Posts: 4,665
Hell, listen to the numerous YouTube videos of Louis C.K. On Opie and Anthony, they're very long but he makes way more offensive jokes than his stand-up specials and not to make some social point it's just shocking humor.
__________________
"You can do anything you set your mind to...But money helps"
  #38  
Old 01-16-2019, 09:00 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmore View Post
The premise behind the 9/11 bit was totally not
meant to be clever. It was 100% about saying something fucked up to get a shock laugh. I’ll try find the clip
But what's different about that, compared with what he's doing now: it doesn't beat up on any demographic group. The 9/11 bit doesn't stick it to the marginalized, or to the less-empowered. What he does now often does stick it to the less-powerful. He's punching down, now. He didn't used to.

That's the distinction that some in this thread are missing.
  #39  
Old 01-16-2019, 09:27 PM
pool is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Inside
Posts: 4,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
they must be lying and "a pussy".

Remember, with great power comes great responsibility. Please use your amazing powers for the benefit of all humanity!
Don't be such a snowflake, are you offended by words? I would think a failed sci-fi author would be in favor of free speech, am I right? Does pussy offend you, I didn't put it in quotations like you did, wasn't that the point of a Louis C.K. bit? I thought pussy would be gentler than calling you a faggot cunt nigger deer, you know the same thing the guy you paid to see multiple times live said in his standup.
__________________
"You can do anything you set your mind to...But money helps"
  #40  
Old 01-16-2019, 10:09 PM
monstro is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 20,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
Don't be such a snowflake, are you offended by words? I would think a failed sci-fi author would be in favor of free speech, am I right?
I must have missed where iiandyiii called for censoring Louis C.K.

Louis C.K is free to say whatever he wants. And so are we. No one's rights are being trampled on, for fuck's sake.
  #41  
Old 01-16-2019, 10:16 PM
octopus's Avatar
octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 9,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Again, look behind the fact that he's using shocking language or saying shocking things. It's the premise of the joke that's the issue.

Both of those are about shocking ideas, but the premise is something clever and insightful about humanity. Same with the "pedophiles must really love raping children." Those jokes are about something interesting behind the curtain. That's very different from the jokes that are pissing people off now.
So, as long as it’s not your sacred cows being poked being very offensive is just fine?
  #42  
Old 01-16-2019, 11:43 PM
pool is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Inside
Posts: 4,665
I've listened to the whole set of leaked material, found it online. I don't see where it stands out as some alt right comedy that is different from his normal Schtick. The problem with leaked material like this is usually it's something the comedian is still working on that hasn't been fully honed and fleshed out yet.

The tranny pronoun thing was kind of brief but I think his whole point was that society has changed terminology but doesn't actually treat certain groups any better and he was comparing it to the euphemism treadmill and the word retarded, it sounded like something he's working on but hasn't really worked out as well as he could.

The Parkland shooting thing was similar to other stuff he has said where he doesn't think old people are any less valuable than young people, and also that they don't have any special wisdom just because they are young, but you can also almost read a compliment in it, as he says his daughters are smarter than he is during the same bit and I think part of his point was just sarcasm about how when he was young he was a complete druggie fuckup and he thinks younger people today are different. As far as I'm aware school shooting victims aren't some oppressed group so not sure that makes him alt-right even if you thought it was offensive, He's always skewed more to the liberal side of the political spectrum when he's brought it up so he would probably be in favor of gun control if asked in a serious context.

The Asian thing was really just being silly, he said black guys have big ones because lots of black guys a long time ago had big ones, and some white guys do because some white guys did, and the he hit a punchline where he knew when he got to the Asian men he thought the listener would expect him to say Asians had small ones because Asians a long time ago had them, but then said the, they are women thing, a common enough comedian thing where you drive the listener's train of thought one way and then flip it on its head, he also said after he didn't really believe any of that, for what it's worth.

Honestly if you listen to the leaked set in its entirety it's just standard Louis C.K. with a lot of similar themes. It made me laugh a lot not cause it's alt-right and punching down but because it's subversive, absurdist, and some of the more mundane thoughts he talks about in every day situations or life experiences you can relate to, it's the kind of stand-up that I would expect to see on Netflix or something honestly, it's just more raw and as yet not worked out completely, but he hasn't turned into some frat-bro, alt-right, right winger it's manufactured outrage about to feed the news cycle. If you liked his comedy before you would probably like it, but don't turn it into something it isn't.
__________________
"You can do anything you set your mind to...But money helps"

Last edited by pool; 01-16-2019 at 11:48 PM.
  #43  
Old 01-17-2019, 12:11 AM
BigT's Avatar
BigT is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: "Hicksville", Ark.
Posts: 36,856
And now we have the "snowflake" comment. Racism, sexism, transphobia, attacking shooting victims: none of those are actually wrong. People just have a thin skin. Thick skinned people like pool support these things, right?

The guy is saying some generally horrible shit. At best, he's appealing to the garbage people would would find this shit funny because they are psychopaths, because the psychopaths won't care that he's a sexual predator. So he's just amoral.

At worst, this crap is what he really believed all along, and the stuff he did to make his jokes okay before was just a coverup. He really was attacking 9/11 victims, and really was defending pedophiles. If he really does believe that shooting victims need to shut up, that black people are inferior, that trans people and Asians are just men, etc, then he's a garbage human being.

Either way, what he's saying is garbage, and he deserves to be called out on it. Both are a betrayal to his former fans, as either he never really cared, or he's always been a vile asshole who tricked us.

Do you think Louis CK is a snowflake who can't take some people calling him out on a random messageboard?
  #44  
Old 01-17-2019, 12:32 AM
CairoCarol is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 5,067
I endorse this pitting of Louis C.K. When I first discovered him about three years ago, my response was, "Oh my gawd, he's fucking HILARIOUS." But at the same time, there was this little voice of discomfort in the back of my head whispering "um...he's also kind of a nasty jerk."

I chose to ignore that little voice, chalking it up to the it-happens-to-us-all-growing-conservatism-of-old-age phenomenon. I deliberately tried to swallow my discomfort, reminding myself that the difference between what seems "edgy and artistic boundary-pushing" and what seems "shocking and unacceptable" is generational. I did not want to fall into the trap of disapproving just because I'm an old fart, and kids-these-days-are-going-too-far.

Now? I know that little voice was right all along. What a shame that Louis C.K.'s incredible talent and insight had to be mixed with his repugnant attitudes. I'm genuinely sad he's turned out to be an unmitigated asshole.
__________________
If I waited for memory to serve, I'd starve.
  #45  
Old 01-17-2019, 05:33 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 36,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
Don't be such a snowflake, are you offended by words? I would think a failed sci-fi author would be in favor of free speech, am I right? Does pussy offend you, I didn't put it in quotations like you did, wasn't that the point of a Louis C.K. bit? I thought pussy would be gentler than calling you a faggot cunt nigger deer, you know the same thing the guy you paid to see multiple times live said in his standup.
It's okay. The liberals aren't gonna hurt you. It's okay if they disagree with you. Disagreement isn't gonna hurt you. It's normal for people to disagree sometimes.

You're going to be okay. Best wishes.
__________________
My new novel Spindown
  #46  
Old 01-17-2019, 06:28 AM
AK84 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 16,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffen2 View Post
The fuss should've been non-existent. Aziz Ansari did nothing wrong.
The OP has never seen a bandwagon he did not jump onto yelling “Here I am”.
Stands to reason he’ll get a few dodgy ones.
  #47  
Old 01-17-2019, 07:04 AM
Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 36,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
The OP has never seen a bandwagon he did not jump onto yelling “Here I am”.
Stands to reason he’ll get a few dodgy ones.
Wow, AK, I didn’t expect this kind of bullshit from you. I’m really surprised. Folks who disagree with you are just drones who can’t help themselves but run with the crowd. Okay, that tells me something about you.

But rather than make a personal attack on me, I’d be interested in specifically what I have said about Aziz that you disagree with and why.

What would you think of or say to a friend or relative who behaved like Aziz did in that account? So far as I recall, Azi hasn’t denied the details. All he is doing now is complaining that just any old jamoke with a Twitter handle can criticize him.
  #48  
Old 01-17-2019, 07:11 AM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 18,806
Some people are real upset that Louis' "comeback " isn't doubling as a groveling apology I'm-totally-woke-now tour. I understand, it's sort of a tradition now but a few go to even further demands for their forgiveness. I think iiandyii said in another thread Louis should donate the majority of his earnings going forward to frigging sex assault charities.

You can't separate the comedy from the comedian and that's fair. But just admit it instead of saying he's turned into a down punching alt right guy now who hasn't learned his lesson.
  #49  
Old 01-17-2019, 07:23 AM
AK84 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 16,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Wow, AK, I didn’t expect this kind of bullshit from you. I’m really surprised. Folks who disagree with you are just drones who can’t help themselves but run with the crowd. Okay, that tells me something about you.

But rather than make a personal attack on me, I’d be interested in specifically what I have said about Aziz that you disagree with and why.

What would you think of or say to a friend or relative who behaved like Aziz did in that account? So far as I recall, Azi hasn’t denied the details. All he is doing now is complaining that just any old jamoke with a Twitter handle can criticize him.
Oh for God's sake. He went on a date. She didn't have a good time. He clearly deserves the fucking electric chair.
We had a lenghty discussion on this when it was fresh. Per her own admission, everytime she asked him to stop or slow down, he did. Everything she asked he complied.

He got crucified anyway. No wonder he is annoyed.

I never liked Louis CK and found Ansari cringeworthy. But anyone who places them in the same cohort is a lunatic.

Last edited by AK84; 01-17-2019 at 07:24 AM.
  #50  
Old 01-17-2019, 08:18 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 36,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Some people are real upset that Louis' "comeback " isn't doubling as a groveling apology I'm-totally-woke-now tour. I understand, it's sort of a tradition now but a few go to even further demands for their forgiveness. I think iiandyii said in another thread Louis should donate the majority of his earnings going forward to frigging sex assault charities.

You can't separate the comedy from the comedian and that's fair. But just admit it instead of saying he's turned into a down punching alt right guy now who hasn't learned his lesson.
I offered that as one possible example of evidence that he was serious about trying to make up for his misdeeds. I'm not sure why that would be a weird or unusual assertion -- if a famous entertainer did something seriously morally wrong, then it seems reasonable that a former fan would urge him to demonstrate honest and humble contrition, which might take quite a while, before considering paying for his entertainment again.

It's not about "groveling apology" or "I'm totally woke" -- it's about demonstrating some sort of self-awareness about the bad things he's done, and why these actions were bad, and how they harmed people, and being sorry about it because of those things, not because it hurt his career. There's no legal requirement for him to do this, but I think there's a moral requirement. YMMV, but I'm not sure why this strikes you as such a "frigging" unusual suggestion.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017