Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #251  
Old 11-28-2019, 12:18 PM
Dead Cat is offline
I was curious...
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 4,348
I apologise for the hijack and this will be my last post in this thread. In my defence, it was dead for over 8 months and then reanimated in order to continue a previous hijack, although since then other posters have returned to the original topic - I just assumed that had played out by now.
  #252  
Old 11-28-2019, 01:29 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
I would like to request that the discussion of ďprimateĒ be taken to some other thread.
I literally forgot what this thread was about and had to scroll back up to read the title again.
  #253  
Old 11-28-2019, 05:22 PM
margin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Cat View Post
You can drop the sarcasm, it doesn't work well when you've got the completely wrong idea about me. Obviously I haven't been clear enough, let me try again. What I am trying to say is that while "primate" could be intended as a racist insult, there is also the possibility that it is not. Specifically, I think there are two possibilities here:

1. Zeke used "pestilential primate" as a colourful insult towards someone whose ethnicity he was unaware of, intending "primate" in its literal sense as an unusual, alliterative way to describe a fellow human.

2. Zeke was aware of the ethnicity of the target of his insult and used "pestilential primate" as a 'clever' way to insinuate they were racially inferior.

Note the absence of the possibility that Zeke knew the ethnicity of the target but didn't intend or can be excused possible racism.

While I suspect number 2 is more likely, I am merely pointing out that I haven't seen much evidence pointing one way or the other.

Novelty Bobble, meanwhile, is concerned that words used with no racist intent could be perceived differently by those who have a better knowledge/memory of the ethnicity of others on this message board, which seems a fair concern. Neither of us is suggesting that hate speech or racism is in any way acceptable.
Bullshit. Conservatives love to pretend they are ignorant about things like racism and sexism.

And I get to be sarcastic when I'm dealing with the kind of disingenuous asshole who claims that----despite the fact that ALL simian terms are used as slurs against African Americans, somehow this ONE TERM is an innocent error. Despite the fact that he posted dozens of times in a thread where the poster so described discussed her race.

Nobody buys it.
__________________
They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.
  #254  
Old 11-28-2019, 05:25 PM
margin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
"sins of our fathers" eh?

What a confused, hateful, bigoted, prejudiced, blinkered, small-minded view of humanity. Try dealing with people based on what they do rather than the historical sins or imagined characteristics of the group you choose to put them in.
You lying sack of shit. You're the cherry on thousands of years of other white dudes setting hatred in the cement of history, then whining when your racist ass gets called on it. Onto the ignore list you go.

Kobal2 quoted that Sartre explanation about Reicheingers' lies. The defenders of "primate" exemplify it perfectly.
__________________
They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.

Last edited by margin; 11-28-2019 at 05:28 PM.
  #255  
Old 11-28-2019, 05:32 PM
MortSahlFan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: US
Posts: 531
Louis CK is one of the best comedians. I can't wait to see him. Great discussion.
  #256  
Old 11-28-2019, 06:01 PM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 18,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
Louis CK is one of the best comedians. I can't wait to see him. Great discussion.
Remember to take video and post it here!
  #257  
Old 11-28-2019, 06:06 PM
Novelty Bobble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: South East England
Posts: 9,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by margin View Post
You lying sack of shit. You're the cherry on thousands of years of other white dudes setting hatred in the cement of history, then whining when your racist ass gets called on it. Onto the ignore list you go.
That's of no comfort to me, I'll still be seeing your hateful posts, I don't use an ignore list.

You'd be much better off winding your neck in and learning to............

a) read what people actually say and comprehend the words they use, the meaning they convey. You really need the practice.
b) challenge them if you are bothered about what they've said, perhaps clarify if they have been unclear.
c) learn the difference between "doesn't agree with me" and "must be a racist". I know it is soooooo much easier to just bundle it all into one and you are an extremely lazy debater but............go on, push yourself.

The posts here show that I'm happy to accept that the "primate" insult might be racist. Only one of us has expressed broad brush denigration based on skin colour. White people do not suffer from huge amounts of racism in the west and your bigotry is water off a duck's back to me, perhaps I'm lucky to have that luxury but it doesn't change the fact that, other than the original post and warning, you are the only one spouting race-hatred. Whether the target can afford to take it on the chin or not it is a pretty bad look for you.

Look in the mirror pal, I don't know what ethnicity you are and it doesn't matter. The only racist in this discussion is you.
__________________
I'm saving this space for the first good insult hurled my way

Last edited by Novelty Bobble; 11-28-2019 at 06:11 PM.
  #258  
Old 11-28-2019, 11:33 PM
Unreconstructed Man is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble
Look in the mirror pal, I don't know what ethnicity you are and it doesn't matter. The only racist in this discussion is you.
margin is a self-hating white. No creature on earth is more cringeworthy.
  #259  
Old 11-29-2019, 01:38 AM
margin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Man View Post
margin is a self-hating white. No creature on earth is more cringeworthy.
Well, kiss your credibility goodbye, broflake.
__________________
They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.
  #260  
Old 11-29-2019, 03:16 AM
margin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Man View Post
margin is a self-hating white. No creature on earth is more cringeworthy.
Bless your shriveled little Trumpie heart. I like myself just fine. It's you whiny little gutless assholes that annoy me. Sad thing is, I can't tell you fuckers apart; same lies, same Fox "News" lies, same propaganda, and all because you got snookered by an orange asshole who's spent his life fucking over marks like you. Now you're going to fuck over your kids because you Trumpies are so insecure and venomous.
__________________
They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.
  #261  
Old 11-29-2019, 03:26 AM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 26,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Man View Post
margin is a self-hating white. No creature on earth is more cringeworthy.
Yeah, that doesn't sound like 14 worder talk at all.
  #262  
Old 11-29-2019, 06:15 AM
Unreconstructed Man is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Yeah, that doesn't sound like 14 worder talk at all.
Yeah. It doesnít. It genuinely doesnít. Thereís nothing more abject and cringeworthy than seeing some snivelling, guilt-ridden white woman hating on white people for woke points on the internet. Itís literally the most pathetic thing a person can do. Pointing this out doesnít make one a racist.
  #263  
Old 11-29-2019, 06:17 AM
Unreconstructed Man is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by margin View Post
Bless your shriveled little Trumpie heart. I like myself just fine. It's you whiny little gutless assholes that annoy me. Sad thing is, I can't tell you fuckers apart; same lies, same Fox "News" lies, same propaganda, and all because you got snookered by an orange asshole who's spent his life fucking over marks like you. Now you're going to fuck over your kids because you Trumpies are so insecure and venomous.
LOL! Read it and weep, dumbass
  #264  
Old 11-29-2019, 06:39 AM
Kimstu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 23,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Man View Post
There’s nothing more abject and cringeworthy than seeing some snivelling, guilt-ridden white woman hating on white people for woke points on the internet. It’s literally the most pathetic thing a person can do.
That reaction seems oddly... oversensitive and defensive. I can think of plenty of FAR more abject and cringeworthy and pathetic things a person can do than merely criticizing white people, as a white person, on the internet.

That type of over-the-top condemnation is invective I more usually see in association with terms like "race traitor", from people who are very very VERY opposed to hearing any kind of negative opinions about the history of white racism and supremacism. Just sayin'.


In any case, the people that margin was "hating on" in the context of centuries of racist oppression were not white people in general, but specifically "assholes". Her comment about white men was not condemnatory, and moreover perfectly reasonable:
Quote:
Originally Posted by margin
If you are white and male and the poster you are addressing is anything but, it impossible for you to insult everybody equally.
Sorry dude, but that's just plain true, and not "pathetic" or "cringeworthy" in the least. Historical context makes a difference in the perception and impact of insults, which is why it's literally impossible to "insult everybody equally" irrespective of race/gender/etc. background.

For example, a white man condescendingly addressing another white man as "boy" is a very different level of insult from a white man condescendingly addressing a black man as "boy". Even if the white man delivering the insult intends it in exactly the same way in both cases.

Last edited by Kimstu; 11-29-2019 at 06:40 AM.
  #265  
Old 11-29-2019, 07:28 AM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 26,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Man View Post
Yeah. It doesnít. It genuinely doesnít.
...disagrees very strongly with...
Quote:
Thereís nothing more abject and cringeworthy than seeing some snivelling, guilt-ridden white woman hating on white people for woke points on the internet.
...what do believe, your denials or your own immediate subsequent words?
Quote:
Itís literally the most pathetic thing a person can do.
I'd say racist frothing at the mouth about it is way more pathetic.

Quote:
Pointing this out doesnít make one a racist.
Yes, it very much does. Just because you didn't actually use the literal words "race traitor" doesn't mean we don't see you, you know.
  #266  
Old 11-29-2019, 07:58 AM
BigT's Avatar
BigT is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: "Hicksville", Ark.
Posts: 36,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Cat View Post
You can drop the sarcasm, it doesn't work well when you've got the completely wrong idea about me. Obviously I haven't been clear enough, let me try again. What I am trying to say is that while "primate" could be intended as a racist insult, there is also the possibility that it is not.
No, your argument is clear. It just isn't a very good one. The argument that it might not be a racist insult is predicated on it not being a synonym for "monkey" or other simian terms. But it in fact is a synonym.

You say that humans are primates, which is true. But humans are also apes, and ape is a term that is listed in margin's Wikipedia link of common insults against people of African decent. It's just that, when someone uses "ape" as an insult, it implies "non-human ape." If they just were calling someone "human," that wouldn't work very well as an insult. The point of simian insults is to imply the person is not as evolved as the speaker.

All simian references are commonly used against black people. When used as an insult for black people, they all allude to the original "monkey" insult. They all imply that black people are less evolved than white people.

I think that margin finds it hard to believe the above isn't obvious to you. I, on the other hand, will explain what I think is obvious at least once, before assuming anything. What seems obvious to me just so often isn't to other people.

It does, however, often get me labeled as condescending, so I apologize if it comes off this way. I am genuinely trying to help clear up (what I hope is) a misunderstanding.

Last edited by BigT; 11-29-2019 at 07:59 AM.
  #267  
Old 11-29-2019, 08:10 AM
BigT's Avatar
BigT is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: "Hicksville", Ark.
Posts: 36,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
Secondly I posted in another thread on religious indoctrination and over the course of that discussion I posted that the person I was responding to, and me, and everyone had "monkey brains" and were "stupid shaved apes". Now, I have no idea whether that poster I responded to is black or whatever and even after being involved in this thread it didn't cross my mind to worry about it until I read it back to myself after pressing "submit". I immediately considered editing but thought, fuck it, I can defend the use and it is definitely non-racist regardless of any other ethnicity involved.

What to make of that? I was definitely insulting myself and the other posters equally, was I wrong to use those terms? what other terms could I have used to get across the point of restricted cognitive abilities?
Referring to your "monkey brain" in that context is generally an understood phrase. Assuming you didn't use it in an insulting way, and included yourself in the description, it is quite likely that it was not intended as an insult towards a black person, even if the person you replied to was a black person.

That said, it still could possibly be misunderstood. Some racists are deliberately crafty, and get a kick out of throwing in subtle insults. If you want to be perfectly safe from being misunderstood, another accepted term for the same idea is "lizard brain."

While, in a specific kind of technical but still colloquial conversation, some people distinguish between our "monkey brain" and our "lizard brain," they are otherwise effectively synonymous.

"Animal brain" also works, though is less common and more evocative. I'm sure you can come up with other ideas, too.
  #268  
Old 11-29-2019, 08:43 AM
Novelty Bobble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: South East England
Posts: 9,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
You say that humans are primates, which is true. But humans are also apes, and ape is a term that is listed in margin's Wikipedia link of common insults against people of African decent. It's just that, when someone uses "ape" as an insult, it implies "non-human ape." If they just were calling someone "human," that wouldn't work very well as an insult. The point of simian insults is to imply the person is not as evolved as the speaker.
So, in another, unrelated thread I talked about all of us having "monkey brains" and being "shaved apes" and I don't have any idea of the audience ethnicity, what do you make of that? It was very clearly in relation to our cognitive abilities, limitations and our humble evolutionary background.

I sort of assume that the audience is smart enough to discern intent and just words on their context and individual merit. Seeing as I didn't get reported or warned it seems like that reasonable usage is not an issue and that we can generally be grown up about things. Which is a good thing and I clearly agree because my question about the original warning on this thread was all about reasonableness and justifying action that may well be warranted. Certainly not an attempt to excuse simian insults in any and all circumstances.

I'm not blind to linguistic history, I'm not unsympathetic to the scourge of racism but nor do I think it productive to take an absolutist stand on a word. Something that.......remember.........never has meaning, only use.

If we are not going down that road and we can have grown up discussions about it. i.e. less of Margin's diatribes (and....mea culpa.....my own very snarky response) then great.

ETA - BigT, I see you responded to my point whilst I was typing this out and I think we are on the same page. We may be grown-ups after all.
__________________
I'm saving this space for the first good insult hurled my way

Last edited by Novelty Bobble; 11-29-2019 at 08:45 AM.
  #269  
Old 11-29-2019, 09:46 AM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 26,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
If we are not going down that road and we can have grown up discussions about it. i.e. less of Margin's diatribes (and....mea culpa.....my own very snarky response) then great.
I note you make no mention of Unreconstructed Man's remarks that springboarded off yours, though...where do you think his drivel sits in this "grown up discussion" you want to have?
  #270  
Old 11-29-2019, 10:19 AM
Novelty Bobble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: South East England
Posts: 9,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
I note you make no mention of Unreconstructed Man's remarks that springboarded off yours, though...where do you think his drivel sits in this "grown up discussion" you want to have?
I don't really follow all conversation threads. I try to stick to the point that matters to me if at all possible so I don't follow all tangents. You've been posting but when I've skimmed your posts I'll have just skipped over them if they weren't relevant to me or direct questions of me (like this one)

If their posts were drivel then I think less of it would be a good thing, same for you, same for all of us. I've already admitted the same for me.
__________________
I'm saving this space for the first good insult hurled my way
  #271  
Old 11-29-2019, 10:29 AM
Unreconstructed Man is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Yes, it very much does. Just because you didn't actually use the literal words "race traitor" doesn't mean we don't see you, you know.
I donít take accusations of racism from you seriously. If another poster, someone I had a modicum of respect for, accused me of racism I might think about what Iíd said. But you? No. You throw accusations of racism around like confetti. Being called racist by you means absolutely nothing.
  #272  
Old 11-29-2019, 10:33 AM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 26,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
I don't really follow all conversation threads.
He directly quoted you, though.

That's like the second time recently you've hidden behind your obliviousness as to why you've ignored some some reprehensible stuff going past. It's not a great look.

Especially when you follow it up with some "if their post was drivel" wishy-washy bullshit. The post is right below yours, not hard to find. So not condemning it out of hand? Also not a good look.
  #273  
Old 11-29-2019, 10:36 AM
SteveG1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Van Nuys CA
Posts: 14,672
Louis CK is still a revolting piece of shit. Still.
  #274  
Old 11-29-2019, 10:39 AM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 26,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Man View Post
I donít take accusations of racism from you seriously.
Whatever you say, bubba. Taking it seriously enough to keep replying, though, I see.
Quote:
If another poster, someone I had a modicum of respect for, accused me of racism I might think about what Iíd said.
I take it you don't care for Kimstu either. I'm sure we'll both cry ourselves to sleep tonight over how little your racist ass cares for us.
Quote:
But you? No. You throw accusations of racism around like confetti.
Because some of y'all are some racist motherfuckers, up in here.

I've been wrong once or twice. Apologized for it when it happened. The rest of the time? Scum like you and your Mitlšufer.
Quote:
Being called racist by you means absolutely nothing.
So "absolutely nothing" you just had to post about it, I see.
  #275  
Old 11-29-2019, 10:48 AM
Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Greater Croydonia
Posts: 24,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Man View Post
I donít take accusations of racism from you seriously. If another poster, someone I had a modicum of respect for, accused me of racism I might think about what Iíd said. But you? No. You throw accusations of racism around like confetti. Being called racist by you means absolutely nothing.
Well, I'll accuse you of it too. You may not have intended them as such but your remarks above aren't so much a racist dogwhistle as a goddamn racist foghorn. Normal non-racist people don't go on about "self-hating whites" quite so facilely.
  #276  
Old 11-29-2019, 11:09 AM
MortSahlFan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: US
Posts: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Remember to take video and post it here!
LOL... I don't have any video recording equipment, anyway. I'm so glad they confiscate phones.
  #277  
Old 11-29-2019, 12:01 PM
Novelty Bobble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: South East England
Posts: 9,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
He directly quoted you, though.

That's like the second time recently you've hidden behind your obliviousness as to why you've ignored some some reprehensible stuff going past. It's not a great look.

Especially when you follow it up with some "if their post was drivel" wishy-washy bullshit. The post is right below yours, not hard to find. So not condemning it out of hand? Also not a good look.
Oh I see. no, no. no no. no, you don't get away with that bullshit. We aren't in the playground. This is precisely what I was talking about regarding grown-up conversations.

That isn't how it works. You can't take an absence of response and use it to imply some sort of tacit approval. Especially when, to the best of my knowledge, no repsonse was sought, no question was asked and no conversation was ongoing, you did note that I wasn't engaging with them didn't you? and that there were others in the thread (including you) that I similarly wasn't engaging with? Time is too short to chase down every rabbit hole just to establish some sort of impossible interrogational purity.

Your logic means that any reprehensible comment in a thread carries with it a duty for everyone in that thread to either condemn it, or by implication, be thought of as condoning it. Are your sheets clean enough to stand up to that scrutiny dibble? Of course not. No-one's is. It is bollocks on stilts.
__________________
I'm saving this space for the first good insult hurled my way
  #278  
Old 11-29-2019, 12:53 PM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 26,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
Oh I see. no, no. no no. no, you don't get away with that bullshit. We aren't in the playground. This is precisely what I was talking about regarding grown-up conversations.

That isn't how it works. You can't take an absence of response and use it to imply some sort of tacit approval. Especially when, to the best of my knowledge, no repsonse was sought, no question was asked and no conversation was ongoing, you did note that I wasn't engaging with them didn't you? and that there were others in the thread (including you) that I similarly wasn't engaging with? Time is too short to chase down every rabbit hole just to establish some sort of impossible interrogational purity.

Your logic means that any reprehensible comment in a thread carries with it a duty for everyone in that thread to either condemn it, or by implication, be thought of as condoning it. Are your sheets clean enough to stand up to that scrutiny dibble? Of course not. No-one's is. It is bollocks on stilts.
Naah, mate. I very much can read into the absence of response after the post is pointed out to you. In fact, I'm noting the continued absence of response even now. "Not responding" doesn't cut it. Not when they're using your own response to margin as their kick-off spot. An uninvolved poster might be able to get away with silence, but they already dragged you into it, mate.

Nice try at righteous indignation, though. Very Kavanaugh of you.

Last edited by MrDibble; 11-29-2019 at 12:54 PM.
  #279  
Old 11-29-2019, 01:48 PM
Novelty Bobble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: South East England
Posts: 9,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Naah, mate. I very much can read into the absence of response after the post is pointed out to you. In fact, I'm noting the continued absence of response even now. "Not responding" doesn't cut it. Not when they're using your own response to margin as their kick-off spot. An uninvolved poster might be able to get away with silence, but they already dragged you into it, mate.

Nice try at righteous indignation, though. Very Kavanaugh of you.
No it is a weary shake of the head Dibble and a little chuckle at your ambition but it is transparently idiotic.
And the biggest give-away that this is an egregious attempt at a pointless "gotcha"? You've never even bothered to quote what I supposedly was obligated to respond to. The reason you haven't done that is because you know at that point I would give an honest opinion to a direct question.

See, a cursory glance at any thread will show posters chosing to leave some tangents unresponded to. No-one has infinite time to respond to everything. In some cases the dangling comments will be things people agree with, in other cases they disagree. The thought process is often (for me at least) "Nothing of any interest, it isn't going to lead anywhere". Even a Hitchens-esque response of "was there a question in there?" or "I'll take that as a comment" takes time and may just prolong a diversion you actually have no interest in persuing.

You may find it impossible to leave a comment unresponded to, that is your prerogative and at least I now know your own personal standard. Any statement you fail to condemn is one you support. Handy to know, I'll look out for that if I remember (I won't)
__________________
I'm saving this space for the first good insult hurled my way
  #280  
Old 11-29-2019, 02:37 PM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 26,873
Memory like Swiss cheese. But only for the indefensible, it seems. Isn't that convenient?

And why would I quote it? It's right up there on this page. In response to (and general agreement with) your own post. Or are you suddenly blind as well as forgetful?

Not that I buy it, mind you - I don't buy that you just skipped by a reply to your post, and I don't buy that you don't recall monstro is black. You're just lying.

Last edited by MrDibble; 11-29-2019 at 02:40 PM.
  #281  
Old 11-29-2019, 03:50 PM
Unreconstructed Man is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Whatever you say, bubba. Taking it seriously enough to keep replying, though, I see.
You strike me strongly as the kind of obsessive weirdo who goes nuts if he canít get the last word in a thread. That alone is motivation enough for me to reply. It takes all of 30 seconds though, so donít flatter yourself. But hey, I wonít object if you want to prove me wrong and fuck off.
  #282  
Old 11-29-2019, 04:01 PM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 26,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Man View Post
You strike me strongly as the kind of obsessive weirdo who goes nuts if he canít get the last word in a thread. That alone is motivation enough for me to reply. It takes all of 30 seconds though, so donít flatter yourself. But hey, I wonít object if you want to prove me wrong and fuck off.
Nice try at a fork there. But I prefer the "fork you, racist asshole" option.

And so much for me meaning "absolutely nothing", idiot.
  #283  
Old 11-29-2019, 04:02 PM
Novelty Bobble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: South East England
Posts: 9,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Not that I buy it, mind you - I don't buy that you just skipped by a reply to your post, and I don't buy that you don't recall monstro is black. You're just lying.
I'm sure it suits your purpose to assert it because the points you are trying to score look ludicrous otherwise.

Of course back in the real world, people leave posts unanswered all the time and people have memories that vary in their ability to retain info. Others in this thread have told you this as well. There are no visual cues for any posters,no personal info, all there is is the point they make on the page and that's what I respond to.

What you suffer from Dibble is an inability to accept that your experience is not another's experience. It is a zero-sum game for you, accepting that I'm telling the truth must mean that you somehow are losing.
__________________
I'm saving this space for the first good insult hurled my way
  #284  
Old 11-29-2019, 04:06 PM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 18,776
Well, I'm not a SJW and happily ensconced in white privilege with no worry of "losing" anything, but you still reek of bullshit. Yes, yes, sophisticated and oh so mature bullshit. Nevertheless...

Last edited by CarnalK; 11-29-2019 at 04:09 PM.
  #285  
Old 11-29-2019, 04:07 PM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 26,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
I'm sure it suits your purpose to assert it because the points you are trying to score look ludicrous otherwise.
Just like it suits you to deny it.

But continued lack of condemnation noted.

Quote:
There are no visual cues for any posters,no personal info, all there is is the point they make on the page and that's what I respond to.
Or don't respond to. Even when pointed out to you. Like I said, noted.
  #286  
Old 11-29-2019, 04:12 PM
Unreconstructed Man is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Nice try at a fork there. But I prefer the "fork you, racist asshole" option.

And so much for me meaning "absolutely nothing", idiot.
Told you
  #287  
Old 11-29-2019, 04:15 PM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 26,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Man View Post
Told you
No, u.
  #288  
Old 11-29-2019, 05:16 PM
Novelty Bobble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: South East England
Posts: 9,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
But continued lack of condemnation noted.
Continued lack of quote noted
__________________
I'm saving this space for the first good insult hurled my way
  #289  
Old 11-29-2019, 05:26 PM
Unreconstructed Man is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
No, u.
Reply Guy.

1. A man who behaves in an overly familiar way and is always replying to the social media messages of a woman he doesn't know or is barely acquainted with.

2. An annoying man who replies to social media messages, in general - whether this annoyance is due to a perceived know-it-all attitude, excessive familiarity, banal arguments that the annoyed user doesn't feel compelled to reply to again and again, or violation of some imagined pecking order.

ĒMental health improves 120% when reply guys are blocked or mutedĒ

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...term=reply+guy
  #290  
Old 11-29-2019, 05:36 PM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 18,776
Do you think anyone is buying this pompous/righteous windbag act? Here's your quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble
Look in the mirror pal, I don't know what ethnicity you are and it doesn't matter. The only racist in this discussion is you.
margin is a self-hating white. No creature on earth is more cringeworthy.
So someone responds to you, with the "guess what I mean" handle of Unreconstructed Man, with a "self hating white" dig and it flies below your aloof radar. My suspicion is, as I said, you're just a liar. But if you really are that obtuse, oblivious, what have you, then I doubt you are much better than a lying troll at the end of the day.

Last edited by CarnalK; 11-29-2019 at 05:36 PM.
  #291  
Old 11-29-2019, 05:41 PM
Novelty Bobble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: South East England
Posts: 9,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
So someone responds to you, with the "guess what I mean" handle of Unreconstructed Man, with a "self hating white" dig and it flies below your aloof radar. My suspicion is, as I said, you're just a liar. But if you really are that obtuse, oblivious, what have you, then I doubt you are much better than a lying troll at the end of the day.
Are you saying that "self-hating white" is the part that you think, Dibble thinks, I have a responsibility to respond to?
__________________
I'm saving this space for the first good insult hurled my way
  #292  
Old 11-29-2019, 05:59 PM
Unreconstructed Man is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Do you think anyone is buying this pompous/righteous windbag act? Here's your quote:


So someone responds to you, with the "guess what I mean" handle of Unreconstructed Man, with a "self hating white" dig and it flies below your aloof radar. My suspicion is, as I said, you're just a liar. But if you really are that obtuse, oblivious, what have you, then I doubt you are much better than a lying troll at the end of the day.
Well what else would you call a white person who uses ‘white’ as a pejorative, like margin does? And I’m not just talking about this thread. A few days ago she called Bernie a “lazy white asshole”. What does Bernie’s being white have to do with anything? It certainly had nothing to do with whatever point margin thought she was making. She just threw it in there because, in her mind, white = bourgeois, lame, overprivileged, whatever.

margin is white. margin clearly thinks being white is a bad thing. margin is a self-hating white. It’s a perfectly fair description. If you disagree, then suggest a better one and I’ll use that instead.

P.S. - ‘Unreconstructed Man’ is a private joke among my friends. It has to do with my physical appearance, not my politics.

Last edited by Unreconstructed Man; 11-29-2019 at 06:04 PM.
  #293  
Old 11-29-2019, 06:05 PM
Unreconstructed Man is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
Are you saying that "self-hating white" is the part that you think, Dibble thinks, I have a responsibility to respond to?
FWIW, Iím sorry for dragging you into this, dude. It wasnít my intention.
  #294  
Old 11-29-2019, 06:20 PM
Novelty Bobble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: South East England
Posts: 9,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Man View Post
FWIW, Iím sorry for dragging you into this, dude. It wasnít my intention.
Well we weren't having a exchange and you didn't ask or imply a question so I didn't feel particulalry obligated to respond. I'm a big boy though and Dibble's tactics are easy enough to see though.

The thinking seems to be that because I didn't immediately jump on you for the term you used (I think, Dibble still hasn't clarified) then I must agree with or condone your description of Margin. I don't. I'm on record well before this thread of disliking identity politics in all its forms and using skin colour as part of an insult is not something I'm comfortable with. Judging by what they said to me they are defintely a racist, I don't think their skin colour is relevant (and of course, I had no idea what ethnicity they are so I'm not going to assume)
__________________
I'm saving this space for the first good insult hurled my way
  #295  
Old 11-29-2019, 06:32 PM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 18,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
Are you saying that "self-hating white" is the part that you think, Dibble thinks, I have a responsibility to respond to?
Who is this Dibble you speak of?! I have a mental problem that doesn't allow me to read usernames.
  #296  
Old 11-29-2019, 07:23 PM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 18,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Man View Post
Well what else would you call a white person who uses Ďwhiteí as a pejorative, like margin does? And Iím not just talking about this thread. A few days ago she called Bernie a ďlazy white assholeĒ. What does Bernieís being white have to do with anything? It certainly had nothing to do with whatever point margin thought she was making. She just threw it in there because, in her mind, white = bourgeois, lame, overprivileged, whatever.

margin is white. margin clearly thinks being white is a bad thing. margin is a self-hating white. Itís a perfectly fair description. If you disagree, then suggest a better one and Iíll use that instead.

P.S. - ĎUnreconstructed Maní is a private joke among my friends. It has to do with my physical appearance, not my politics.
Uh huh. Are you familiar with the phrase "self hating Jew" to describe jews who criticize Israel? Or do you have a mental problem that doesn't allow you to remember racially charged catch phrases?
  #297  
Old 11-29-2019, 07:31 PM
margin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Man View Post

Wow, do you sound exactly like a white nationalist asshole eith your "self-hating white"--------which I have never seen in any context but racist white boys getting all upset.

Yeah, time for that ignore button, asshole.
__________________
They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.
  #298  
Old 11-29-2019, 08:15 PM
Unreconstructed Man is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by margin View Post
Wow, do you sound exactly like a white nationalist asshole eith your "self-hating white"--------which I have never seen in any context but racist white boys getting all upset.

Yeah, time for that ignore button, asshole.
But youíre the one whoís being racist! The limits of the medium prevent me from literally drawing you a picture, but if you use a personís race as an insult, as you routinely do, thatís racist. Iím objecting to your racism! And now youíre getting pissy because you donít like how I did it? Fuck off. Try not being racist.
  #299  
Old 11-29-2019, 08:18 PM
Try2B Comprehensive's Avatar
Try2B Comprehensive is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,597
All I know is that Rosanne, Louis C K and Zeke ought to go on the road together, it would be quite a show. I am not saying I'd go, it would just be quite the nexus of offensiveness.
  #300  
Old 11-29-2019, 10:09 PM
don't mind me is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: somewhere over there
Posts: 1,380
Maybe the mods could change the subject line and point to the beginning of the hijack.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017