Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 11-25-2019, 11:56 AM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Iím not sure what you donít understand about disliking any political violence. I donít care if itís initiated by fascists or Antifa or anyone in between. Itís all bad. And I donít believe speech to be a license for assault.

Regardless, dude hopefully learned his lesson and will keep his hands and implements off of other peopleís property.
Amazing the lengths someone will go to in order to avoid saying "James Alex Fields Jr. was engaged in political violence"

Doesn't seem that hard to me.
  #102  
Old 11-25-2019, 11:57 AM
octopus's Avatar
octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 9,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
And yet you're still dodging a direct answer to a question the answer to which is pretty fucking obvious to everyone else. I'll ask it again : in the case of Heather Heyer's murder, who was engaged in political violence ?
Pssst.. you can ask once.

But Iíll oblige and not report. The driver of the Dodge Challenger, at that moment, was the one engaged in violence at the place the challenger hit. Iíll reiterate again just for the slow. Once you legitimize mob violence donít act surprised when you get outmobbed. This is where consistently with a concept leads! Whoa! Unintended consequences! Who could have predicted?!?

octopus could have.

Anyways, to be clear, there should have been 0 violence that day. It does seem ghoulish that you folks are thrilled to have a martyr.
  #103  
Old 11-25-2019, 11:57 AM
QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 19,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
I donít think it was. But she was at a place where mob violence due to politics was or did happen and when mob violence occurs itís like letting a genie out of the bottle. Thatís why I donít go to political rallies. Running into you pit loons in real life with your bike locks, your sticks, your Dodge Challengers. Not my idea of a good time.

Now of course the usual subjects will whine that this is victim blaming and then start completely misrepresenting what I said while concurrently opening up 3-4 ATMB threads which will result in the dart throwing monkey being employed once or twice again. Just a prediction.

Anyways, Iíll be honest Iím really surprised that the violence hasnít escalated more. Iíd have thought weíd have had IEDs and stuff at these political rallies. Iím surprised by the restraint the various shadowy factions are showing and frankly itís puzzling. My guess is they are all aware of the need to maintain some level of support or tolerance from the public as a whole.

Since this is the kinder gentler pit, have a happy thanksgiving.🦃
Oh, fuck right off.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #104  
Old 11-25-2019, 12:02 PM
octopus's Avatar
octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 9,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Amazing the lengths someone will go to in order to avoid saying "James Alex Fields Jr. was engaged in political violence"

Doesn't seem that hard to me.
Man the in thread harassment is unrelenting! Well since itís not Hurricane asking Iím sure itís OK. Of course he was. Hell, I donít know his name. But guess what Iím not going to ignore the events of the day that lead up to the carnage and murder.

You folks would have failed AP history with your deliberate fixation on an event instead of the context of the event. Yes running over a crowd that doesnít pose a threat to you is wrong. Usually. Sometimes you got places to be. But itís safe to say that he shouldnít have done that from what I can see in the video.

TLDR for the dishonest and/or stupid unintended consequences are precisely that.
  #105  
Old 11-25-2019, 12:02 PM
margin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
If this were posted to Reddit's Am I The Asshole subreddit, I'd go with ESH.
One side is driving a 2,000-lb deadly weapon, capable of speeds in the high double digits at least, and the other side-----who weighs approximately 200-lbs---is armed with......a stick. Should we weigh the stick?

The first guy attacked the second guy with a deadly weapon, yet apparently the second guy didn't react delicately enough for our Reichwing defenders here. Or something.
__________________
They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.
  #106  
Old 11-25-2019, 12:03 PM
running coach's Avatar
running coach is online now
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 37,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Pssst.. you can ask once.

But Iíll oblige and not report. The driver of the Dodge Challenger, at that moment, was the one engaged in violence at the place the challenger hit. Iíll reiterate again just for the slow. Once you legitimize mob violence donít act surprised when you get outmobbed. This is where consistently with a concept leads! Whoa! Unintended consequences! Who could have predicted?!?

octopus could have.

Anyways, to be clear, there should have been 0 violence that day. It does seem ghoulish that you folks are thrilled to have a martyr.
Just like you're thrilled to have killers on your side.
  #107  
Old 11-25-2019, 12:03 PM
octopus's Avatar
octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 9,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Oh, fuck right off.
Oh, I donít think I will.
  #108  
Old 11-25-2019, 12:04 PM
kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 32,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
But what if Hitler was covered in glue and setting your kid on fire ?
Is it acid glue?
  #109  
Old 11-25-2019, 12:07 PM
Buck Godot's Avatar
Buck Godot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MD outside DC
Posts: 6,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
Yes, a car CAN be used as a deadly weapon but it wasn't in this case.
I the not unlikely scenario the guy had tripped and gone under the wheel as he was forced rapidly backwards then it would have been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
Yes. if he had just swung the bat then the time to find out if he also had a gun is before he pulls it out. Not after.
If he stayed in the car he was essentially locked into a space he couldn't defend from a known weapon. Busting a side window out throws hundreds of tiny glass shards in your face and allows a bat or stick to then be drilled into your face lance style.

If he drove off he was vulnerable to a potential gunshot. By opening the door he was able to knock him off balance and neutralize both types of attack.
Sorry but this is idiotic from a tactical stand point. after he's pushed the protestor away he's got a clear path. Just drive away. By the time the assailant pulls out his likely non existent gun your too far away to for him to get a shot off. That has a much better chance of success than hoping you push him off balance enough that you get the upper hand against him when you know for sure he holds a weapon that gives him a clear advantage at melee range. The actions of the driver only make sense as being out of anger not out of fear.

That said, getting back to the OP, I fucking hate ANITFA. They do nothing other than give legitimacy to the whataboutism of the Republican party. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that Putin has agent in the movement egging them on to further violence. If you want to show your devotion to anti-fascism you do it unmasked and unarmed. It takes a hell of a lot more courage to get beaten up for a cause than to beat someone up, and its a hell of a lot more effective too.

Last edited by Buck Godot; 11-25-2019 at 12:08 PM.
  #110  
Old 11-25-2019, 12:09 PM
Blank Slate's Avatar
Blank Slate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Oh, I donít think I will.
So hey, how are the kids? Still neglected?
  #111  
Old 11-25-2019, 12:11 PM
octopus's Avatar
octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 9,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Just like you're thrilled to have killers on your side.
Ah, the dishonesty begins with. Actually the dishonesty continues as it has for as long as the pit has been in existence. Running coach, were you dropped on your head by our baby? Are you one of the crack babies born in the 80s? If not, there is no excuse for you to lie like that. You know you are lying. I clearly said there is no place for political violence. You and the horde fellow posters who ďthinkí like you are the reason why the board is so contentious.

You use the inconsistently modded Pit as a refuge to lie about other posters. Again and again you take the plainest, clearest, explicitly stated posts and twist them 180 degrees and come up with the stupidest conclusion possible. Itís amazing.

Octopus ďthere should be no political violenceĒ

Hivebot ďyou are happy thereís violence!Ē


  #112  
Old 11-25-2019, 12:11 PM
margin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Hmmmm...caffeinated ice cream? I'll take some!
Seriously, I have a friend who got me a bunch of real vanilla----beans and all-----and it's a heavenly elixir. Bottles of the stuff, because there was a bad year for vanilla. Plus a buddy sent me saffron from Afghanistan.

I could make a billion bucks if I could caffeinate this stuff and also design a line of womens' clothing that had pockets everywhere. Once you've experienced the heaven that is a large, comfortable, zippered breast pocket nothing else satisfies. /digression
__________________
They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.
  #113  
Old 11-25-2019, 12:12 PM
octopus's Avatar
octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 9,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
So hey, how are the kids? Still neglected?
Using personal information as an attack? Is that or is that not jerkish? One way to find out.
  #114  
Old 11-25-2019, 12:19 PM
running coach's Avatar
running coach is online now
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 37,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Man the in thread harassment is unrelenting! Well since itís not Hurricane asking Iím sure itís OK. Of course he was. Hell, I donít know his name. But guess what Iím not going to ignore the events of the day that lead up to the carnage and murder.

You folks would have failed AP history with your deliberate fixation on an event instead of the context of the event. Yes running over a crowd that doesnít pose a threat to you is wrong. Usually. Sometimes you got places to be. But itís safe to say that he shouldnít have done that from what I can see in the video.

TLDR for the dishonest and/or stupid unintended consequences are precisely that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Ah, the dishonesty begins with. Actually the dishonesty continues as it has for as long as the pit has been in existence. Running coach, were you dropped on your head by our baby? Are you one of the crack babies born in the 80s? If not, there is no excuse for you to lie like that. You know you are lying. I clearly said there is no place for political violence. You and the horde fellow posters who ďthinkí like you are the reason why the board is so contentious.

You use the inconsistently modded Pit as a refuge to lie about other posters. Again and again you take the plainest, clearest, explicitly stated posts and twist them 180 degrees and come up with the stupidest conclusion possible. Itís amazing.

Octopus ďthere should be no political violenceĒ

Hivebot ďyou are happy thereís violence!Ē


Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Using personal information as an attack? Is that or is that not jerkish? One way to find out.
Violence is acceptable if you have someplace to be?
Talk about morally stunted.
  #115  
Old 11-25-2019, 12:21 PM
octopus's Avatar
octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 9,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Violence is acceptable if you have someplace to be?
Talk about morally stunted.
Krispy Kreme comes before morality. Now if you want to pit me for that I have no defense and Iíll take my lumps. But donít say I advocate political violence when I donít and have consistently been clear on that point.
  #116  
Old 11-25-2019, 12:23 PM
QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 19,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Oh, I donít think I will.
You were an amusing distraction in the past. A harmless imbecile.

Turns out you're actually a shit human being deserving of all the abuse and contempt coming your way.

Enjoy it. I know I will.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #117  
Old 11-25-2019, 12:26 PM
octopus's Avatar
octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 9,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
You were an amusing distraction in the past. A harmless imbecile.

Turns out you're actually a shit human being deserving of all the abuse and contempt coming your way.

Enjoy it. I know I will.
Your impotence combined with petulance is in a word, sad!
  #118  
Old 11-25-2019, 12:27 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by margin View Post
Seriously, I have a friend who got me a bunch of real vanilla----beans and all-----and it's a heavenly elixir. Bottles of the stuff, because there was a bad year for vanilla. Plus a buddy sent me saffron from Afghanistan.
I'm sure it's good. Add some chocolate chips, and I'm in!
  #119  
Old 11-25-2019, 12:27 PM
SteveG1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Van Nuys CA
Posts: 14,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundane Super Hero View Post
Some conveniently placed camera-peeps, all strongly (loudly) on the side of the driver who tried to run the protester down.
Article posted by 'RedState' (Breitbart/DailyCaller/TinFoilWeekly/ same thing).
So-called manly grunting Nazi-MAGAt gets out after committing one felony and commits another 'staged' felony.

Must be a slow day for ̶I̶n̶c̶e̶l̶s̶. ̶C̶i̶r̶c̶u̶l̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶. news.
Considering the "source", I bet this was fake.
  #120  
Old 11-25-2019, 12:28 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Man the in thread harassment is unrelenting!
Harassment seems a strong term. Especially when you can so easily avoid it.

Hint: scrolly wheel on your mouse.
  #121  
Old 11-25-2019, 12:29 PM
octopus's Avatar
octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 9,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
Considering the "source", I bet this was fake.
Youíre probably right. Iís very out of character for antifa to do anything with odds less than 10-1.
  #122  
Old 11-25-2019, 12:30 PM
octopus's Avatar
octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 9,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Harassment seems a strong term. Especially when you can so easily avoid it.

Hint: scrolly wheel on your mouse.
Itís not my definition.
  #123  
Old 11-25-2019, 12:31 PM
SteveG1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Van Nuys CA
Posts: 14,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
KILL THE EXTREMISTS!!!

One of my favorite bumper stickers.
rofl
  #124  
Old 11-25-2019, 12:34 PM
margin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
I don’t think it was. But she was at a place where mob violence due to politics was or did happen and when mob violence occurs it’s like letting a genie out of the bottle. That’s why I don’t go to political rallies. Running into you pit loons in real life with your bike locks, your sticks, your Dodge Challengers. Not my idea of a good time.

Now of course the usual subjects will whine that this is victim blaming and then start completely misrepresenting what I said while concurrently opening up 3-4 ATMB threads which will result in the dart throwing monkey being employed once or twice again. Just a prediction.

Anyways, I’ll be honest I’m really surprised that the violence hasn’t escalated more. I’d have thought we’d have had IEDs and stuff at these political rallies. I’m surprised by the restraint the various shadowy factions are showing and frankly it’s puzzling. My guess is they are all aware of the need to maintain some level of support or tolerance from the public as a whole.

Since this is the kinder gentler pit, have a happy thanksgiving.��
"But she was at a place where mob violence due to politics was or did happen...."

Yeah, the reason you get accused of victim blaming is because this, right here, where you "fine people" the rightwing's murderous attacks plus the most passive of passive voices while shrugging in the implication that she should have expected violence is why.

1. She was at a place.....This is "What did she expect?" The "mob violence" was to be expected, and the real issue here was this silly woman with her unreasonable standards. On r/the_Donald at Reddit they offered tips on ramming pedestrians with vehicles, promoted the gathering, jeered and attacked the victim, and then frantically tried to scrub away all of the above.

2. Where mob violence could or did happen.....One side-----yours-------favors threats, hatred, lies, and bigotry and elected a man who has espoused or demonstrated all four, usually daily, . I wonder how long it will be before someone whips out the baseball shooting as a counter example, as if Bernie Sanders preaches hatred the way Trump does.

3. Due to politics....This deserves highlighting again because one side preaches hatred, and the other side is fighting against that. When the first group goes underground, they continue to preach hatred, lies bigotry, and genocide. The other side simply ceases to exist in that they go back to playing video games and eating Fluff out of the jar.

4. Did happen.....Passive voice. It did NOT just sort of magically.....drop out of the sky. It was planned, preached, memed, and now rightwing legislators are trying to legislate it. You cannot argue that a guy in a car weighing 1500 lbs. is threatened by unarmed people weighing anywhere from 100lbs. to whatever each. The car is capable of high speed and is made of metal and steel while people are made of fragile bone and skin.
__________________
They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.

Last edited by margin; 11-25-2019 at 12:35 PM. Reason: spacing
  #125  
Old 11-25-2019, 12:38 PM
margin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
So hey, how are the kids? Still neglected?

DUDE. NOT COOL. WAY NOT COOL.

His argument's fair game, as are his tactics. We just went through shit like this.
__________________
They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.
  #126  
Old 11-25-2019, 12:42 PM
margin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Freedom to hit trucks and impede lawful progress is not freedom from being consequenced. Letís hope that the masked fool learned a valuable lesson.
"From being consequenced"? So one guy with a stick is equal to one guy in a truck that weighs thousands of pounds and can reduce that pedestrian to a smear on the pavement?
__________________
They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.
  #127  
Old 11-25-2019, 12:42 PM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rural Western PA
Posts: 33,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Using personal information as an attack? Is that or is that not jerkish? One way to find out.
Here's to hoping you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
  #128  
Old 11-25-2019, 12:44 PM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 19,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
That said, getting back to the OP, I fucking hate ANITFA. They do nothing other than give legitimacy to the whataboutism of the Republican party. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that Putin has agent in the movement egging them on to further violence. If you want to show your devotion to anti-fascism you do it unmasked and unarmed.
Sure, why not do it with your full name, address and SSN printed out on your shirt, too ? . I mean it's not like fascists fucking murder people or anything .

Also, people who protested the Charlottesville rally unmasked and unarmed don't share your pious moral take from the safety of your home. They're glad there were people willing to stand between them and violent shitheads, and even run the violent shitheads away if need be when the police wouldn't.

This false equivalence never ceases being vile.
  #129  
Old 11-25-2019, 12:46 PM
octopus's Avatar
octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 9,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by margin View Post
"But she was at a place where mob violence due to politics was or did happen...."

Yeah, the reason you get accused of victim blaming is because this, right here, where you "fine people" the rightwing's murderous attacks plus the most passive of passive voices while shrugging in the implication that she should have expected violence is why.

1. She was at a place.....This is "What did she expect?" The "mob violence" was to be expected, and the real issue here was this silly woman with her unreasonable standards. On r/the_Donald at Reddit they offered tips on ramming pedestrians with vehicles, promoted the gathering, jeered and attacked the victim, and then frantically tried to scrub away all of the above.

2. Where mob violence could or did happen.....One side-----yours-------favors threats, hatred, lies, and bigotry and elected a man who has espoused or demonstrated all four, usually daily, . I wonder how long it will be before someone whips out the baseball shooting as a counter example, as if Bernie Sanders preaches hatred the way Trump does.

3. Due to politics....This deserves highlighting again because one side preaches hatred, and the other side is fighting against that. When the first group goes underground, they continue to preach hatred, lies bigotry, and genocide. The other side simply ceases to exist in that they go back to playing video games and eating Fluff out of the jar.

4. Did happen.....Passive voice. It did NOT just sort of magically.....drop out of the sky. It was planned, preached, memed, and now rightwing legislators are trying to legislate it. You cannot argue that a guy in a car weighing 1500 lbs. is threatened by unarmed people weighing anywhere from 100lbs. to whatever each. The car is capable of high speed and is made of metal and steel while people are made of fragile bone and skin.
I don’t advocate political violence. Several folks on this board actually do. I’m not surprised people have died or have been maimed at these events. Not being surprised is not being ok with it. When I say escalation is unavoidable once violence is excused is in no way an advocation of violence.

We have a functioning democracy even if many feel that it’s flawed. As long as we have a functioning democracy violence in the context of achieving a political aim is unacceptable to me. Other posters favor violence if it achieves their goal. I’m not one of them.

Last edited by octopus; 11-25-2019 at 12:46 PM.
  #130  
Old 11-25-2019, 12:47 PM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 19,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Youíre probably right. Iís very out of character for antifa to do anything with odds less than 10-1.
You seem to be displeased that there are more people willing to take a stand against murderous fascists than there are murderous fascists. Why is that ?

(Hint : showing in larger numbers than fascists is a way to PREVENT VIOLENCE from taking place, you pea-brain).
  #131  
Old 11-25-2019, 12:53 PM
SteveG1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Van Nuys CA
Posts: 14,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by margin View Post
"From being consequenced"? So one guy with a stick is equal to one guy in a truck that weighs thousands of pounds and can reduce that pedestrian to a smear on the pavement?
Welllllll. we've already seen how Nazis like to use vehicles as murder weapons (see Charlottesville).
  #132  
Old 11-25-2019, 12:53 PM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 19,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
So hey, how are the kids? Still neglected?
Dude, don't.
  #133  
Old 11-25-2019, 12:54 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
Welllllll. we've already seen how Nazis like to use vehicles as murder weapons (see Charlottesville).
Sure, but there was a guy in a sweatshirt that hit a car with a stick. See? Both sides are exactly the same!
  #134  
Old 11-25-2019, 12:54 PM
SteveG1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Van Nuys CA
Posts: 14,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Sure, why not do it with your full name, address and SSN printed out on your shirt, too ? . I mean it's not like fascists fucking murder people or anything .

Also, people who protested the Charlottesville rally unmasked and unarmed don't share your pious moral take from the safety of your home. They're glad there were people willing to stand between them and violent shitheads, and even run the violent shitheads away if need be when the police wouldn't.

This false equivalence never ceases being vile.
God damn right. Every time a nazi gets his ass kicked, an angel gets his wings.
  #135  
Old 11-25-2019, 12:55 PM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 19,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Is it acid glue?
Bitch it MIGHT be !

  #136  
Old 11-25-2019, 12:56 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
So hey, how are the kids? Still neglected?
I would also like to condemn this post. Come on, man.
  #137  
Old 11-25-2019, 12:58 PM
SteveG1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Van Nuys CA
Posts: 14,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Sure, but there was a guy in a sweatshirt that hit a car with a stick. See? Both sides are exactly the same!
Yes, I see it. Exactly equivalent and equal.
  #138  
Old 11-25-2019, 01:01 PM
octopus's Avatar
octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 9,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
You seem to be displeased that there are more people willing to take a stand against murderous fascists than there are murderous fascists. Why is that ?

(Hint : showing in larger numbers than fascists is a way to PREVENT VIOLENCE from taking place, you pea-brain).
Iím not actually. I probably dislike fascists more than you. Which is why I despise Antifa.
  #139  
Old 11-25-2019, 01:09 PM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 19,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Iím not actually. I probably dislike fascists more than you.
And yet you keep defending them, it's weird, isn't it ?
  #140  
Old 11-25-2019, 01:10 PM
Morgyn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: In the time stream
Posts: 5,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by margin View Post
Seriously, I have a friend who got me a bunch of real vanilla----beans and all-----and it's a heavenly elixir. Bottles of the stuff, because there was a bad year for vanilla. Plus a buddy sent me saffron from Afghanistan.

I could make a billion bucks if I could caffeinate this stuff and also design a line of womens' clothing that had pockets everywhere. Once you've experienced the heaven that is a large, comfortable, zippered breast pocket nothing else satisfies. /digression
I am intrigued by your ideas and would totally buy these products. Vanilla is a very intense flavor when used correctly.

And, damnit, I want my clothes to have more pockets, roomier pockets, and sturdier pockets. I have been lucky enough to find an online retailer that sells jeans in my size that has real pockets, but sometimes they're made of this flimsy thin cotton and sometimes they're made from denim, and I want the denim, damnit, because the other shit keeps developing holes. Pockets with holes at the bottom are not. useful.

Last edited by Morgyn; 11-25-2019 at 01:12 PM.
  #141  
Old 11-25-2019, 01:12 PM
Mundane Super Hero is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Oh, fuck right off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Oh, I donít think I will.
But it's by popular demand. Diddums need a pwillow in case that nasty old door bruises your tender widdle ass???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
So hey, how are the kids? Still neglected?
You're right, that's just low.

You mean something actually tapped that garbage disposal?
(Haven't you assholes heard of draino?)
  #142  
Old 11-25-2019, 01:16 PM
octopus's Avatar
octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 9,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
And yet you keep defending them, it's weird, isn't it ?
Not weird at all. You know we disagree on the fundamentals of how absolute individual liberties are. Perhaps I’m mistaken with my support of individual liberties as they are understood in the US. I’ve been wrong before.

Last edited by octopus; 11-25-2019 at 01:17 PM.
  #143  
Old 11-25-2019, 01:19 PM
margin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
I donít advocate political violence. Several folks on this board actually do. Iím not surprised people have died or have been maimed at these events. Not being surprised is not being ok with it. When I say escalation is unavoidable once violence is excused is in no way an advocation of violence.

We have a functioning democracy even if many feel that itís flawed. As long as we have a functioning democracy violence in the context of achieving a political aim is unacceptable to me. Other posters favor violence if it achieves their goal. Iím not one of them.
Quote:
Running into you pit loons in real life with your bike locks, sticks, and Dodge Challengers..."
There has been exactly ONE guy with a bike lock. The famous "based stickman"------or both of them, rather-----are both rightwing. James Fields, Jr. murdered Heather Heyer with a Dodge Challenger.


Please address the specific things I pointed out. You focused your criticism on the victim by pointing out violence would happen. The implication is that she should have known there would be violence and the onus was on her to avoid something that "was and did happen"

Your side is noticeably more violent and deadly than the left. That means you cannot feign neutrality. To say she was at a place "where mob violence was or did happen--" instead of "James Fields, Jr., a rightwinger, murdered her," is to conceal the actual facts of the murder.....which make your side look had because they ARE bad. One side attacking the other side and that second group fighting back are in no way equal, but you lump attackers and targets together in one group with "mob violence." This conceals that the rightwing planned to attack the left----and did. It tries to make attackers and their victims morally indistinguisable.

Yeah, after the "bikelocks, sticks, and Dodge Challenger" lie I'm done. You're lying now. Screw that.
__________________
They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.
  #144  
Old 11-25-2019, 01:19 PM
QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 19,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Iím not actually. I probably dislike fascists more than you. Which is why I despise Antifa.
You're walking down the street when you encounter a some antifa coming out of a beer hall. Do you have anything to fear?

You're walking down the street when you encounter some fascists coming out of a beer hall. Do you have anything to fear?

You're being threatened by fascists. Are you better off or worse off if a group of antifa enter the scene? Is it reasonable to expect that antifa would come to your aid?

You're being threatened by antifa. Are you better off or worse off if a group of fascists enter the scene? Is it reasonable to expect a group of fascists will come to your aid?

Explain your answers.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #145  
Old 11-25-2019, 01:38 PM
octopus's Avatar
octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 9,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by margin View Post
There has been exactly ONE guy with a bike lock. The famous "based stickman"------or both of them, rather-----are both rightwing. James Fields, Jr. murdered Heather Heyer with a Dodge Challenger.


Please address the specific things I pointed out. You focused your criticism on the victim by pointing out violence would happen. The implication is that she should have known there would be violence and the onus was on her to avoid something that "was and did happen"

Your side is noticeably more violent and deadly than the left. That means you cannot feign neutrality. To say she was at a place "where mob violence was or did happen--" instead of "James Fields, Jr., a rightwinger, murdered her," is to conceal the actual facts of the murder.....which make your side look had because they ARE bad. One side attacking the other side and that second group fighting back are in no way equal, but you lump attackers and targets together in one group with "mob violence." This conceals that the rightwing planned to attack the left----and did. It tries to make attackers and their victims morally indistinguisable.

Yeah, after the "bikelocks, sticks, and Dodge Challenger" lie I'm done. You're lying now. Screw that.
When political violence is acceptable and apologized for don't act surprised, shocked, or concerned when it doesn't go the way you hope. I dislike all political violence in the modern USA. There is no need for it and it is extraordinarily counterproductive. Repeating false information when I'm clear that I'm opposed to violence is a bad look for the hive. Please stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
You're walking down the street when you encounter a some antifa coming out of a beer hall. Do you have anything to fear?

You're walking down the street when you encounter some fascists coming out of a beer hall. Do you have anything to fear?

You're being threatened by fascists. Are you better off or worse off if a group of antifa enter the scene? Is it reasonable to expect that antifa would come to your aid?

You're being threatened by antifa. Are you better off or worse off if a group of fascists enter the scene? Is it reasonable to expect a group of fascists will come to your aid?

Explain your answers.
See we can converse like adults!

Ok. answer 1-4 with explanations.

For one I'm very obviously white and I don't LARP as antifa or a Nazi. I am going to go with obvious Nazis as what is meant by fascist. Not just a MAGA hat wearing old lady in a wheelchair.

So in a sense I do have a bit of white privilege with regards to being a target of a random attack by Nazis. But let's say they are looking for a fight regardless of color so as to not dispute the hypothetical.

1) Drunk rowdy antifa while not doing anything provocative? Probably relatively safe and probably not going to be a problem if I work to deescalate any potential problem.
2) Drunk rowdy, swastika covered Nazis? Yeah... I ain't going near that bunch. They sound crazy.
3) Depends on numbers.
4) Depends on numbers and how many of them are willing to go to jail on murder charges.



Yeah on a per number basis I think the most radical of a group are the most dangerous and I think actual Nazis are more radical than the average antifa.

Last edited by octopus; 11-25-2019 at 01:41 PM.
  #146  
Old 11-25-2019, 01:45 PM
Budget Player Cadet is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post

That said, getting back to the OP, I fucking hate ANITFA. They do nothing other than give legitimacy to the whataboutism of the Republican party. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that Putin has agent in the movement egging them on to further violence. If you want to show your devotion to anti-fascism you do it unmasked and unarmed. It takes a hell of a lot more courage to get beaten up for a cause than to beat someone up, and its a hell of a lot more effective too.
Yknow when Antifa typically shows up? When a community says, "can we please prevent this gathering of violent fascists and fascist-adjacent people from happening in our town?" and the cops say "LOL no, we like those guys". It is community self-defense, to prevent violence and "protect and serve" when the police won't (and are more often on the side of the violent, dangerous fascists).

Then, when neo-nazi mobs inevitably bring violence to the city, the right-wing propaganda machine goes into overdrive, blaming every bit of violence, regardless of how clearly it was in self-defense, on the nebulous "antifa". Sometimes, they write the "violent antifa" story while coordinating with alt-right gangs. There's a reason that people keep saying that Andy Ngo is a threat to the community and provides kill lists to Atomwaffen (literally a neo-nazi hit squad) - because he does. While writing about how violent Antifa is.

Do you know why antifascists wear masks? It's because if the people they're pushing back against know who they are, they will literally fucking kill them. Fighting monsters is dangerous. Just recently, Emily Gorcenski (a prominent antifascist reporter) reported that, after direct death threats, a member of Atomwaffen was turned away at the Berlin Airport - where she had moved after neo-nazi threats chased her out of her old hometown of Charlottesville.

Stop swallowing and enabling right-wing propaganda and start pushing back against it. Anti-antifascist is pro-fascist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
God damn right. Every time a nazi gets his ass kicked, an angel gets his wings.
I try to remind myself that every life is a unique work of art worth preserving... But punching nazis is just good praxis.

Also, thanks for the money quote, octopus, I'll keep it on hand when it becomes necessary to remind people what a fundamentally dishonest, immoral fucking monster you are. Jesus christ, for someone who says he hates nazis so much you sure do like defending nazis a lot.
__________________
"Until their much-needed total political extinction, you can expect the GOP to continue to take corporate money to systemically murder you and everyone you know."
- A. R. Moxon

Last edited by Budget Player Cadet; 11-25-2019 at 01:47 PM.
  #147  
Old 11-25-2019, 01:53 PM
E-DUB's Avatar
E-DUB is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,892
I've wondered if any of these violent ANTIFA types are actually righties in disguise. That's the thing about masks, you don't know who's under them. Abbie Hoffman once said he could always tell the uc cops because, aside from not getting the hair right, they were always the ones calling for violent action.
  #148  
Old 11-25-2019, 01:59 PM
QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 19,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Ok. answer 1-4 with explanations.


1) Drunk rowdy antifa while not doing anything provocative? Probably relatively safe and probably not going to be a problem if I work to deescalate any potential problem.
2) Drunk rowdy, swastika covered Nazis? Yeah... I ain't going near that bunch. They sound crazy.
3) Depends on numbers.
4) Depends on numbers and how many of them are willing to go to jail on murder charges.
I'm sorry, I don't understand your answers to #3 and #4. Would you mind trying one more time? Here, I'll ask the questions again:

3. You're being threatened by fascists. Are you better off or worse off if a group of antifa enter the scene? Is it reasonable to expect that antifa would come to your aid?

4. You're being threatened by antifa. Are you better off or worse off if a group of fascists enter the scene? Is it reasonable to expect a group of fascists will come to your aid?
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #149  
Old 11-25-2019, 01:59 PM
drad dog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 6,374
OK so fascist have it down to a lifestyle, and antifa are young and learning the ropes.
  #150  
Old 11-25-2019, 02:02 PM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 19,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
You're being threatened by fascists. Are you better off or worse off if a group of antifa enter the scene? Is it reasonable to expect that antifa would come to your aid?
That actually happened to me once, back in my long lost teenager-hood which is now shrouded in the mists of time. I wore my hair long back then (... I actually *had* hair back then ) and have always been something of a stick-figure man. A trio of jolly skinheads I crossed paths with late at night in a subway tunnel turned around and started following me. They playfully suggested that my semi-androgynous figure had led them to some fascinating inductions regarding my sexual orientation, and there was a very clear subtext that a frank exchange of views and/or an educational hands-on lecture on finer points of anatomy might be had in the near future ; possibly involving the teaching aids that had started coming out of pockets, not to mention a heavy-looking sports bag.

Needless to say, I was seconds away from shitting my pants in front of these fine people.

To this day I have no idea where the two redskins came from - I might as well have had hysterical blindness at that point - nor why they pretended I was a long-time friend of theirs but in that moment I could have fallen in love with them. They very literally speaking saved my ass (and balls) that night. They escorted me all the way to my train, asked if I was ok (I don't think I answered, my teeth were nervously clattering so hard ; but I guess the relief spoke for itself), patted me on the shoulder, one of them stuck a can of beer in my unresisting hand, wished me a good ride home and that was that. Never saw either of them again.
I never even learned their names, now that I reminisce about it.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017