Old 11-24-2019, 07:25 PM

Becks bad, bad, bad Bear! (no, no, no not Bear the cat!)

Uh-oh.
Walking the house doggies around the pond. There are a few trails out there through the woods, always coming back close to the pond. I've been carrying my rifle when walking for fear of feral pigs.
We head into a little clearing and the Beagle Betsy lets out a low woof, she's off lead as she likes to stop and sniff or run ahead and circling back to me. This time she stops dead with her nose in the air. I'm thinking pig.
I hook her up and pick up the Yorkie and put her in my hoodie pocket. I'm thinking I might have to shoot. Another low woof from Betsy. I tell her 'shhh!'
I stand still. I see a dark shape. It's headed down to the water. I'm sure it's a pig. I decide we'll just let it be. I walk to the other side of the clearing and take another trail that comes beside an old fort the kids built one time. And you carry on to the lower end of the pond. I get up to the water's edge and let Betsy get a drink. Yorkie is asleep in my pocket. Low growl from Betsy. I look where she's looking across the pond. Now, I've seen every type of wildlife out here. But this was truly astonishing to see a big black bear standing knee deep in my pond. He lifts what is a large head up and looks directly at me. I know I tense up. Immediately Betsy starts barking and yodelling. I pull the leash and we walk quickly up the hill. Betsy's frantic. I keep telling her to hush. Yorkie is whining in my pocket. I'm half running and stopping to look back and pull the leash again. At the top of the hill I look back the bear is gone. There's a good piece of ground to cover before I get to the house. I finally get to the pump house and stop. Betsy's still going berserk. I cannot see anything moving in the tree line. I can't see the pond anymore. If the bear walked straight back from the waters edge he'd come up behind the big tractor shed. The barn is between me and the shed. We dash to the house. I'm on the deck. Betsy's still pulling wanting to go after the bad, bad, bad bear. I look about and don't see anything. I guess the bear went away. I take the dogs inside. Give them a treat. Yorkie pee'd on my hoodie. Dang it.
I knew there had been a bear sighted on the place. Mr.Wrekker warned me again a few days ago. I've seen bear track on the pond edge. I didn't expect it to be so big. Wow!
We'll be walking down the driveway for a few days.
Bear the Siamese approved of the story when I told it to him. I got a clacky jaw sound from him. High praise indeed.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Get some bear spray ASAP
Old 11-24-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhair75 View Post
Get some bear spray ASAP
I have it. It will go out with me from now on. Let's see: orange vest to keep hunters from mistaking me for a deer, good shoes. Rifle, loaded. Extra bullets, flashlight, cell phone, 2 dogs, now bear mace. I need a air horn, I'm told.
Man oh man, it's getting hard to take a simple walk in the country.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
I have it. It will go out with me from now on. Let's see: orange vest to keep hunters from mistaking me for a deer, good shoes. Rifle, loaded. Extra bullets, flashlight, cell phone, 2 dogs, now bear mace. I need a air horn, I'm told.
Man oh man, it's getting hard to take a simple walk in the country.
Yes, an air horn or other screechy personal alarm works best. Bears do not like unusual noises and will run. My best source: a wildlife expert and bear guide.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:17 PM

Wow. I thought the pigs were bad, bad, bad enough! What kinda iron are you packin? Good little beagle, they love to hunt. Probably would have run circles around the beast.

Imagine what the Yorkie is telling his buddies right now.

Dennis
Old 11-24-2019, 08:26 PM

Winchester model 70. An old bolt action. Very accurate. Mr.Wrekker has many guns suitable for big game. I feel most comfortable with this gun.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:29 PM

I'm glad you're ok. I fear wild boar more than bears, but they're both bad.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:43 PM

I'm a believer in carrying the gun you feel most comfortable and confident with. Just out of curiosity, what caliber is it?
Old 11-24-2019, 09:14 PM

Good ol' Betsy.

I've always heard black bears will run from a dog. Grizzlies are another matter, but I don't think they roam near you. It probably wouldn't hurt to wear some bear bells in case you and Betsy are upwind and she doesn't get a whiff in time to alert you. Or you could sing. I always figured my singing would either scare off a bear or goad it into attacking to shut me up. I made up a little ditty I called, "I Am Not a Snack" and sang when hiking in the wilds.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:59 PM

Shit, Beck, you do whatever you have to do to take care of yourself. Soon you'll be eating bear meat stew. I've eaten bear. It was ok.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:11 PM

Okay add to my list of walking implements: Bear bells and a good song in my heart.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Winchester model 70. An old bolt action. Very accurate. Mr.Wrekker has many guns suitable for big game. I feel most comfortable with this gun.
A. .44:40 .a fine.bear load.
B. That is so hot..
Old 11-24-2019, 10:20 PM

Are you sure you didn't see Manbearpig?
Old 11-24-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
A. .44:40 .a fine.bear load.
B. That is so hot..
Not so hot. I ran and screamed like a girl. ()

That bear in my pond was truly scary.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Are you sure you didn't see Manbearpig?
Aaaaaccccckkkk!
Old 11-24-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Not so hot. I ran and screamed like a girl. ()

That bear in my pond was truly scary.
Between us you can be a gurl, but th Dope needs you to be a a badass.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:38 PM

.44-40 ?
Old 11-24-2019, 10:42 PM

Cuz I ain shooting that bear for you.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
Fuck yeah. Sent many a bison to the happy hunting ground. I don't hit on a woman with less.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Okay add to my list of walking implements: Bear bells and a good song in my heart.
Well, you know the old joke about how you can identify bear scat, right? It's full of little bells and smells like pepper spray.

Bells are useless. I cite my previous post, along with the park rangers at Katmai, where they deal with grizzlies.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:04 AM

Um, bear prefer.something more bearish.

Nothing personal, my love.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:12 AM

My first instinct is to stay far away from the bear. But he's shown up in my sandbox. In this zone there's no bear hunting season in 2019. I understand that may change for 2020.
Mr.Wrekker is gonna check with the game warden and see what to do about a bear in our situation. After the big feral hog shoot, I'm wary.
I will shoot if I feel threatened and answer questions later. I'm pretty sure I can't out run a bear.
I'm on the alert. I'm getting an airhorn tomorrow.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:29 AM

Does Big Wrek, duh, have sumpin more appropriate for y'all up close and personal? Black or brown?
Old 11-25-2019, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
My first instinct is to stay far away from the bear. But he's shown up in my sandbox. In this zone there's no bear hunting season in 2019. I understand that may change for 2020.
Mr.Wrekker is gonna check with the game warden and see what to do about a bear in our situation. After the big feral hog shoot, I'm wary.
I will shoot if I feel threatened and answer questions later. I'm pretty sure I can't out run a bear.
I'm on the alert. I'm getting an airhorn tomorrow.
Unlike grizzlies, black bears are more apt to run than fight, unless there are cubs about. But any bear that is habituated to humans and that has a food source nearby can be dangerous. The game dude may try to find it and scare it off with flash-bangs, but if it is eating from garbage bins and the like, it will probably return. If it's on your property and you feel threatened, he'll likely tell you that it's okay to shoot it.

A gun can be helpful, but if you happen to turn a blind corner and surprise it, the air horn will be a faster response and work just as well. An experiment to show just how fast they are: take your dog outside and make it sit about 30 feet from you. Then call him enthusiastically. That's how fast a bear can cover the same ground.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:32 AM

Dang. That's scary. I walked the dogs down the driveway. Betsy was on high alert the whole walk. They got their business done and we headed in.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 11-25-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:44 AM

That's a nice rifle but isn't it a bit light for bear? Recommendations are 1000 ft-lbs of energy and a 44-40 is way less then that. Got a 30/30 laying around? We will, of course, bow to Mr Wrekker's expertise in such matters.

Dennis
Old 11-25-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post

Fuck yeah. Sent many a bison to the happy hunting ground. I don't hit on a woman with less.
Are you thinking of the legendary buffalo rifle, the 45-70? Minimum allowable energy for hunting bison today is 2800 ft-lbs. You would have to empty the entire magazine of 44-40 to get that much.

Actually, it looks like the Model 70 was never offered in 44-40, that was the Model 73. So what caliber do you have, Beck?

Dennis

Last edited by mixdenny; 11-25-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:11 PM

You shoot his eyes out Beck if ya need. Me? I'd be on the horn to FnG ti comegetthisdamnbearoffmypropertyandfarfarfarfarwawyrightmothrrfuckingnow!!!!

Last edited by DorkVader; 11-25-2019 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixdenny View Post
That's a nice rifle but isn't it a bit light for bear? Recommendations are 1000 ft-lbs of energy and a 44-40 is way less then that. Got a 30/30 laying around? We will, of course, bow to Mr Wrekker's expertise in such matters.

Dennis
In Alaska, I always carried a short barreled .12 gauge (along with my screecher) loaded with slugs whenever we were going for a wilderness hike or out picking blueberries. Easy to swing if there's brush, and it will probably knock down about anything at close range (though you never know with grizzlies). My second choice would have been some sort of hogleg semi-auto, probably in .44 mag, but I didn't want to spend that kind of money when a good noisemaker normally does the job (sorta like this one).
Old 11-25-2019, 01:09 PM

Mr.Wrekker has decided I need to carry a 30-06. I'm in for a shooting class this evening. Oh joy.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:25 PM

Big Wrek has 2 black bear pelts. I'm also to learn where to aim for a clean shot.
I have a feeling it's all academic as I will be running with all my accoutrements dangling, dragging an obese Beagle, Yorkie in my pocket peeing, and blowing an airhorn. Gah!!!
Old 11-25-2019, 01:56 PM

If you learn to swear in Finnish, you may not need it
Old 11-25-2019, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Big Wrek has 2 black bear pelts. I'm also to learn where to aim for a clean shot.
I have a feeling it's all academic as I will be running with all my accoutrements dangling, dragging an obese Beagle, Yorkie in my pocket peeing, and blowing an airhorn. Gah!!!
Y'know, dogs are an excellent deterrent for bears. If nothing else, they'll keep it busy while you unlimber your rifle or beat feet, whichever instinct kicks in first. My brother had a little rat dog that routinely frightened off bears at his cabin in the middle of nowhere.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:20 PM

Obese Betsy and tiny Yorkie Grace are not optimal bear deterrent. I think Mr. Big Bear might consider them a two-pack nugget lunch.
I'm considering getting a fierce little-ish (med.)dog. That's smart enough not to get et. I'm pet rich at the moment. But I believe one puppy will not strain my ability too much.
Well, now to get ready for my shooting range experience. Wish me luck()
Old 11-25-2019, 05:42 PM

Well the shooting range was just so, so much fun. The 30.06 is more gun than I like. It's heavier. I dont like the scope. I shot well, though. It's sighted in good. Sniper Son-of-a-wrek has it just right.
I sat for the lecture on when, why and how to shoot to kill a bear.
I don't want to kill a bear. I don't want to see a bear. But, I like living, too. Mostly I'm hoping to avoid any encounters. I'll stay away from the pond for awhile.
I know I can shoot this bigger gun. That relieves some anxiety. Some, not all.
If I drop off the board someone come feed my cats. ()
Old 11-26-2019, 03:56 AM

Fish n Game (or whatever they call it there) callem up tellem to come in get it or your killin it bear season or no...
Old 11-26-2019, 04:03 AM

Forget the bears, Becks, and head to Texas! They need you!

Feral hogs attack and kill a Texas Woman Outside a Home

"Only Beckdawrek can save us now!"
Old 11-26-2019, 04:05 AM

Some critter came up on my deck a little while ago. Clanging and making noise. Holy crap, we log house denizens went a little
crazy. Betsy was barking in her best beagle voice. Caused Siamese cats to fly to the beams. Yorkie Grace to piddle a little puddle. And ol'beck to run for the rifle and airhorn.
Turned the light on the deck. Nothing. We waited and watched. Nothing.
Should I open the door? Betsy sez, "yes". Cats say "no Mommy don't open the door"
Yorkie don't care. She's sitting it her puddle.
I decided not to open the door. I go to turn off the light and OMG there it is...right in front of my face. Big as you please....
The barn cat. Whew. Holy crap. My nerves are fried!!
Well, kidney doctor, my blood pressure is not low anymore.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelliebly View Post
Forget the bears, Becks, and head to Texas! They need you!

Feral hogs attack and kill a Texas Woman Outside a Home

"Only Beckdawrek can save us now!"
Holy crappola. That's terrible. It's open season on them things now, it's gonna be a shoot-fest. I told y'all those things are vicious. I hear them fighting each other in the woods, sounds awful.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 11-26-2019 at 04:24 AM.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkVader View Post
Fish n Game (or whatever they call it there) callem up tellem to come in get it or your killin it bear season or no...
I told the game warden if I felt threatened I was shooting to kill. He said my hunting lisc. would be revoked for life. That's fine. I don't have a hunting lisc. Between me and the bear, if I kill him, I'll have that life to live.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:42 AM

And a nice new bear skin to snuggle on, under and ummm etc
Old 11-26-2019, 05:22 AM

Beck's barely surviving the Feral hogs and angry bear. It takes real commitment to live a rural life in the South Arkansas woods.

The bear has your attention now, but don't forget to keep an eye out for those hogs. Maybe the bear scares them too?

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/11/25/u...rnd/index.html
Quote:
Jefferson County Medical Examiner Selly Rivers determined Rollins was attacked by different hogs because of the various size of the bites on her body, Hawthorne said.

Mature feral hogs can weigh between 100 and 400 pounds, according to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.

The sheriff noted feral hogs are a problem across Texas, but attacks are rare.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-26-2019 at 05:26 AM.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:44 AM

I'm 'so' watching for hogs while outside. I have a renewed fear. I got really scared during the big pig shoot when several of them got out of the barricade.
I'm a good shot. I know how to handle guns. Mr.Wrekker has been insistant that I shoot regularly on many guns.
But, saying all that, this bear and the pigs have put the fear of god into me. Jeebus, I'll have 4 grandkids running around here this week. I'll have to warn my girls about the kids going outside. Ugh.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 11-26-2019 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:51 PM

I took the house doggies on a romp. I had all my accoutrements on board. No sightings of scary wildlife, except a frog
Old 11-26-2019, 01:11 PM

Some of my students attended a little elementary school out in the wild. They spoke nostalgically about "bear drills" and what happened that one time when a bear wandered onto the playground at recess--a calm and orderly retreat into the school, thanks to the drills. And the kids did pretty well, too.

Old 11-26-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I'm 'so' watching for hogs while outside. I have a renewed fear. I got really scared during the big pig shoot when several of them got out of the barricade.
I'm a good shot. I know how to handle guns. Mr.Wrekker has been insistant that I shoot regularly on many guns.
But, saying all that, this bear and the pigs have put the fear of god into me. Jeebus, I'll have 4 grandkids running around here this week. I'll have to warn my girls about the kids going outside. Ugh.

God forbid, one of the GrandWrekkers coming in the house with a wriggling bundle, "Gramma, Gramma, Gramma, I got a pig just like you!"

"Everybody pile in the truck, we're all going to the ER for rabies S-H-O-T-S!"

""Take the turkey out of the oven, we don't want turkey-jerky this Thanksgiving!"

>>>>>hours pass<<<<

Tired, sleeping babies with red, swollen, tear-stained faces are brought into the house and placed on various beds. Two fat, scheming Siamese balance their fat bodies on the overhead beams, and smirk. A stripped turkey carcass sits in the middle of the kitchen floor.

Outside, in the back of the house, black bears and evil, conniving, infested pigs dance in the trampled remains of Bekker's garden.

We shall never forget Thanksgiving 2019!

~VOW
Old 11-26-2019, 02:22 PM

DIL has been formally warned about Mr. Bigass Bear. I dare that Bear come in contact with her. He'll wither and run far away.
Really though, we're on high alert.
Mr.Wrekker has re-instated the 'coyote protocol'. That is: 1.be aware of what's outside before stepping off the deck. 2. Never wander without a weapon. 3. Scan the treeline while walking. 4. Make lots if noise.
God help me.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Be sure that Mr. Wrekker knows how to survive a bear attack.

Old 11-26-2019, 04:04 PM

Just remember to put on your innocent face when Fng comes around months from now to finally resolve the issue. Nope, no freezer fulla meat and why this raggedy old thing? You flatterer, we've been using this thing as floor covering for AGES, but surely my housekeeping skills are not so good as to keep it looking brand new, what are you up to you shameless flirt, refill on your lemonade? The bear? No, haven't seen a sign of it for quite some time, must have wandered off somewhere to hibernate for the winter but you can be sure I'll ring you right up if it comes back in the spring.
Old 11-26-2019, 05:01 PM

Iím thinking if a bear got the jump on me and had me by one arm Iíd be wanting a big olí handgun that I could deploy with the other hand.
Iíve never shot a .30-06 but I have shot a .308 which is in the same ballpark. A fearsome round which I would think would stop a black bear in itís tracks. Are you using hunting (soft nosed, expanding bullets) or military style jacketed bullets?