Old 11-26-2019, 05:13 PM

Full metal jacket, baby!

(I've been thinking on a pistol)
Old 11-26-2019, 05:38 PM

This should make you feel a little better.
Old 11-26-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post

Whoa, Bella! You GO, Girl!

~VOW
Old 11-26-2019, 06:18 PM

Hella, Bella!!
Old 11-26-2019, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Full metal jacket, baby!

(I've been thinking on a pistol)
Never, ever even consider shooting a bear with a handgun.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhair75 View Post
Alas, you are correct.
Mr.Wrekker left out of the door laughing and shaking his head.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:11 PM

At dinner I had all the kids and grandkids around. We talked over the bear situation. I told the girls to keep the kids on short leashes.
Mr.Wrekker restated the importance of this protocol. I think we'll be ok. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 11-26-2019 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Once he has you in his grasp, a .45 ACP up to his temple, why not let rip a half a dozen rounds, just for fun?

Messy, but effective.

Last edited by Gatopescado; 11-26-2019 at 11:26 PM. Reason: I'm a cad.
Old 11-27-2019, 01:42 AM

Ah heck, I'd forgotten bout this story, Beck if a 69 year old man can fight a friggin kodiak to the death in a knife fight and win, yer bear ain't got a snowballs chance, cuz y'all got guns and no deer dressing chores to distract you, right? Plus no bloody deer carcass and and entrails to attract said bear

Last edited by DorkVader; 11-27-2019 at 01:44 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 02:38 AM

Warden said the bear was attracted to the pond and fish therein.
Old 11-27-2019, 04:15 AM

Uh, so tell me again how close the pond is to the house? In my mind anything within shoutin through a loud bullhorns distance of visible from the house is closer than I'd like. Brings to mind lines of fire and gun placement and stuff like that from basic. I know its a bear and not some enemy army but bears are damn sneeky and creepy (in the ninja sense not pervy)when they wanna be
Old 11-27-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Do a Google search for bears taken with handguns. Look at YouTube. People shoot bears with handguns all the time.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
Do a Google search for bears taken with handguns. Look at YouTube. People shoot bears with handguns all the time.

There is a lot of good data there. The first thing they stress is shot placement: you must shoot exactly half way along the line between the eye on the bear and its ear hole, as that is the weakest part of the skull. Second, If you shoot, if the bear goes down, to make sure that it is not just stunned, you must empty the gun at that same spot as 'insurance rounds'. Evidently, some bears can play dead and will track/hunt/maul you afterward (they show a pic of a guy who thought he got away and thought it was safe to live-stream. After the live stream ended, the bear caught up with him again).

One link says that the bare minimum is 357 loaded with a hard cast round (no soft lead, no HP) and 180 gr to get past the armor-plated bone of a bear's skull; some say that's risky. Some say use a 454 Casull, but those things weigh a TON and it seems foolish to me to tote around something like a 20 lb barbell weight in your purse. The YouTuber says that in Alaska, the 44 mag is the standard. Just be aware that ammo for those things, even on sale, is never cheap.

They didn't even discuss 9s or 40s out of plastic guns, but maybe that's discussed in a follow up video, "Sometimes The Bear Eats You"...

Last edited by Mundane Super Hero; 11-27-2019 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:50 AM

I hope to never find out. Mr.Wrekker told me to empty the gun on the bear coming toward me.
He shot both his pelts in the spot behind the left arm into the heart. But he was safely in a blind and could wait for the bear to bleed out.
I'm a good shot. Saying that, being surprised snd scared there's no telling how I'll react. I've shot many, many times. Guns are just a part of my life out here in the jungles of South Arkansas. I believe I'm prepared.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:33 PM

Up from my nap me and 5 dogs on leashes went out. I stuck to the driveway. Had the 30.06. Airhorn and lots of noise. On the way back I heard leaves cruching and twigs breaking on my left. The drive curves (almost turns) to the left. I was afraid I'd meet something in the bend. I stopped. Put the Yorkie in my pocket. The other 4 were barking their heads off. I dropped the leashes and stood on them. Un-shouldered the gun and pushed the safety off. We stood 10min. Dogs barking like crazy. Son-of-a-wrek was on the deck smoking and heard the commotion. He's always got his big pistol under his arm. He walked down to meet me. He said he heard noises in the trees too. There's a low spot right in that place. He took my airhorn and told me to get them dogs to the house. I did just that.
He walked a big circle and came up behind the house. He said he kept hearing something heavy walking. He never saw what it was. He told his Dad it was a big hog or the bear. Jeez

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 11-27-2019 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:39 PM

BECK!!!quit makin me old dammit!

I only react this way out of concern and my own non-encounter with a bear that to this day still heebyjeebies me out

Last edited by DorkVader; 11-27-2019 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:42 PM

Dang!

Years ago a friend of mine was hiking with her kids and husband. She was slightly ahead with her daughter, and her husband was going slower with their son, who was just a toddler. All of a sudden, she hears her daughter say "Hi, Mr. Bear!"

Oh, my friend is blind.

Fortunately, the bear ran away from them, and they hurried back in the direction they'd come from.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Beck - In regards to the game warden, there's a philosophy you might want to adopt - SSS.

Shoot, shovel and shut up.

StG
Old 11-27-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
Beck - In regards to the game warden, there's a philosophy you might want to adopt - SSS.

Shoot, shovel and shut up.

StG
We know of that in these here parts. I don't mind wildlife. (Well, except deer, they've tried to kill me a few times)
I just wanna take a dang walk. Is that too much to ask, Mother Nature?
Old 11-27-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
We know of that in these here parts. I don't mind wildlife. (Well, except deer, they've tried to kill me a few times)
Walk! Walk freely and rule your kingdom! The Wreck Ranch is your turf.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
It's their turf. But, you have your bear spray, and your .300 Weatherby Magnum rifle, right? If that's not enough, just invite along a "friend", because, worst case, you don't need to outrun the bear...
Old 11-27-2019, 09:30 PM

A week or so ago you were in the hospital, clinging to life. A week later you are stalking your grounds, looking for a bear whose ass you can light up with your .30-06.

Life is good, yes?
Old 11-27-2019, 09:49 PM

Yep. Hear me Roar!!

(Hack, cough, cough)
Old 11-28-2019, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundane Super Hero View Post
There is a lot of good data there. The first thing they stress is shot placement: you must shoot exactly half way along the line between the eye on the bear and its ear hole, as that is the weakest part of the skull. Second, If you shoot, if the bear goes down, to make sure that it is not just stunned, you must empty the gun at that same spot as 'insurance rounds'. Evidently, some bears can play dead and will track/hunt/maul you afterward (they show a pic of a guy who thought he got away and thought it was safe to live-stream. After the live stream ended, the bear caught up with him again).
This actually supports my position on asking our friend Beck not to try shooting her bear with a handgun. Doc Holiday may have been able to hit a charging bear in that exact spot with a pistol but the average shooter should not bet their life on it.

On a gun related message board some years ago an Alaskan hunting guide talked about this. He said the caliber didn't matter much. his recommendation was to file the front sight of your handgun until it is flush with the barrel. When he was asked what this would accomplish he responded "Then the barrel will not hurt quite so much when the bear sticks your handgun up your ass just before he eats you."
Old 11-28-2019, 09:36 AM

I doubt I'm equal to a wildwest sharpshooter, but I am a good shot. Fear and surprise make for poor marksperson abilities, though.
I've pondered this for a few days now. Even as I was out this morning with the dogs. We stayed close to house, I didn't wanna tempt fate. I've decided I'd prefer to never see the bear again. I don't wanna kill the bear. He's has a right to live his life. I'm no member of PETA, but I care for animals domestic and wild. I wanna be able walk my property and live through it. What a conundrum. I've googled and it said normally black bears hibernate about 100 days in the cold months. We've had a warm spell. I think the bear should be asleep in some den near here.
I think I'm gonna look for this den and then I can avoid running into a half asleep bear.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:59 AM

I am not even sure those types of bears normally attack people. So all the advice about how you should upgrade to an elephant gun and murder the bear is probably coming from people's wild imaginations. Indeed, Wikipedia seems to corroborate what I have heard, that American black bears are not known to be particularly aggressive or dangerous, and conflict with humans is rare and has mainly been in places where people had been feeding them.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:30 AM

If the bear is stressed or has cubs I think all bets are off. Avoidance is the best policy. I think.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:36 AM

What you say is all true DPRK. The problem is the fish pond. While that may not constitute "feeding the bear" directly, until the pond is completely or sufficiently depleted, it is an amazingly rich and easy food source for the bear, one which it will not abandon. This particular bear may or may not already have some habituation to humans, but it will develop quickly either way, and pretty soon it will start looking for other easy food sources and will start venturing closer and closer to the home place and...well you should have an idea how that goes. It's much easier to have Fish and Game either capture and relocate the animal very (meaning hundreds of miles) far away or, in some cases, especially if the animal is identified as one they've encountered in similiar circumstances before, destroy it as a "problem" animal
Old 11-28-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Doc Holiday may have been able to hit a charging bear in that exact spot with a pistol but the average shooter should not bet their life on it.
I think the idea was that sometimes, before the full-on charge, the bear might hear or smell something to the right or to the left of them... turning its head and giving you a shot at the side of their skull.
But yeah, with what that web site and YouTube video explained about the hardness and thickness of a bear's skull in the front and how thick bones cover most of their vital organs from the front, I'm not sure what would bring one down at full charge (certainly not a hand gun). Rifled slug? 300 Magnum? Elephant gun rounds? Barrett 50? Again, I'm just relaying what the site and the video indicated.
Quote:
On a gun related message board some years ago an Alaskan hunting guide talked about this. He said the caliber didn't matter much. his recommendation was to file the front sight of your handgun until it is flush with the barrel. When he was asked what this would accomplish he responded "Then the barrel will not hurt quite so much when the bear sticks your handgun up your ass just before he eats you."
The video had a portion narrated by an Alaskan hunting guide. < sigh >

(Look, I don't know either of them personally. Me arguing "my Alaskan guide is better than your Alaskan guide" sounds like playground kids bragging "my Dad can beat up your Dad". I'm just not going there.
I'm only relaying what I saw/read. If you're right, you're right and I'm happy to stand corrected. It's Thanksgiving and HTG I've got enough angry bears showing up to my house in cars.)

Last edited by Mundane Super Hero; 11-28-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Look, I don't know either of them personally. Me arguing "my Alaskan guide is better than your Alaskan guide" sounds like playground kids bragging "my Dad can beat up your Dad". I'm just not going there.
I'm only relaying what I saw/read. If you're right, you're right and I'm happy to stand corrected. It's Thanksgiving and HTG I've got enough angry bears showing up to my house in cars.)
My "Alaskan hunting guide" was just a poster on a message board. I am willing to admit that he may or may not have been an actual "Alaskan hunting guide."

Also, If I was attacked by a bear, I would shoot at it with my 1911 until it clicked empty and then try to kill it with my pocket knife. If I am going down, I will go down hard.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
My "Alaskan hunting guide" was just a poster on a message board. I am willing to admit that he may or may not have been an actual "Alaskan hunting guide."

Also, If I was attacked by a bear, I would shoot at it with my 1911 until it clicked empty and then try to kill it with my pocket knife. If I am going down, I will go down hard.
What happened curling up in a ball and playing dead?
I saw 'Revenant'
Don't wanna go down like that.
Dead would be better. IMHO
Old 11-28-2019, 01:41 PM

Uh, Beck, umm, dead is when they start to eat you (ideally) not a good strategy me thinks.

Happy Thanksgiving from Castle Vader to the Wreker Demesne
Old 11-28-2019, 01:53 PM

To late for the edit

My "head canon" says playing dead is an exceedingly poor defense against bears and that your odds improve rather dramatically by presenting yourself as a not food enough to be worth the trouble. Of course if the bear's initial perception of you was threat to begin with, well, double down I guess and hope you can find that imaginary line where you can "saber rattle" the animal off without having to actually resort to physical conflict (then watch your back, sides, and front cause bears is smart, and sneeky and ninja stealthy and they will stalk and attack you from behind)

A spoof of the Turkey thread ala my earlier post about fighting bears:

This Bear was killed in bloody combat with a sharp knife

Last edited by DorkVader; 11-28-2019 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:57 PM

I've been assured by the PTB that I will most likely NOT die at the paws and teeth of this bear. So, so reassuring. I feel better almost instantly (yeah, right).
Old 11-28-2019, 02:16 PM

I'd worry more about skunks than a single bear. I've been sprayed a few times and dealt with the lasting consequences. It can be pretty miserable.

Beck do you have trail cameras set up around your pond? Seen any recent activity from the bear? It may have moved on long ago.

I'd definitely setup several motion triggered trail cameras. See what's stirring around out there at night. Still photos is all you need. Video fills up the flash card too quickly.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-28-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:32 PM

I'd expect to find a flash card full of critters.

That pond is probably the main water source for everything living close by.

Today's infrared Trail cameras are awesome. I carry two on any overnight camping or backpacking trip. I like to know what came visiting while I slept by the campfire.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-28-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:41 PM

For any confused city dwellers. Here's the latest tech. Most of my trail cameras are the older IR. I've still captured some very good shots of deer, possums, and wild dogs prowling around my campsites at night.
https://www.trailcampro.com/collecti...-trail-cameras
Quote:
No Glow IR cameras are also commonly referred to as blackout trail cameras or invisible flash trail cameras. The name originates from this camera’s ability to illuminate an animal without the animal (or any other species in the area) detecting the flash.

In order to make this list, we must not be able to see any light emitted at 10-15'. If we can see a small glow, they will be categorized as Low Glow IR. If it has a brighter, more visible glow, it will be Red Glow IR.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-28-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-28-2019, 03:46 PM

Hey, Beck, did you hear about the new show coming on Discovery next week?

Man vs. Bear.

It should be a hoot!
Old 11-28-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
I've been assured by the PTB that I will most likely NOT die at the paws and teeth of this bear.
See, I'd consider that a challenge, what with my problem with authority, and all. I'd be out there hunting him with a Leatherman Tool.

Last edited by Gatopescado; 11-28-2019 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Nobody's gonna tell me when to die and not to die. 6=9
Old 11-28-2019, 04:58 PM

Yes, Acey we have game cameras. Big Wrek put 2 pointing at the places we've seen bear sign. He's checking them out. No sighting since my cross pond encounter.
The pond IS a hive of activity. There's many salt water ponds and brackish bayou land here. A fresh water pond is a boon to local fauna. I saw wild ducks a few weeks ago. Stopped by on their immigration south. I've had many egrets spend a day or 2 visiting.
Old 11-28-2019, 05:45 PM

I thought you probably had cameras set up. It's good that you haven't seen any more signs of the bear again. It will probably leave the area eventually.

I'd enjoy seeing egrets up close. They're awesome birds.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-28-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:44 PM

We did walkies with 5 dogs. Me and mid-daughter. She held 3, I held my 2. We walked all the way to the gate. It was dusky on the way back. I had my gun and the airhorn. No sightings or noises. Betsy kept wanting to veer off into the brush.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:38 PM

What is the gun?
Old 11-28-2019, 11:48 PM

30.06. It's been determined by others that's the gun for me, during this fun time.
I'm not really happy about it. My Win70 is too light weight. The Win73 is not easy to sight in.
I prefer to not use a scope. I'm not necessarily shooting distance at any time. Most things I've shot have been shot from my deck or front door. This is new to me.
I wish the dang bear would go find a den and go nighty-night.
Old 11-29-2019, 01:59 PM

Well, the guys showed up. Son-of-a-wrek, Big. Wrek and 2 deer camp pals. They're out looking for the bear. He showed up on the camera last night, down on this side of the pond.
I'm on my deck with my gun..in case he pops out of the tree line. 4 steps and I'm in the house.
Lions, tigers and BEARS. oh my....

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 11-29-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-29-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Well, the guys showed up. Son-of-a-wrek, Big. Wrek and 2 deer camp pals. They're out looking for the bear. He showed up on the camera last night, down on this side of the pond.
I'm on my deck with my gun..in case he pops out of the tree line. 4 steps and I'm in the house.
Lions, tigers and BEARS. oh my....
Got a recipe for bear stew?
Old 11-29-2019, 05:56 PM

Any news on the bear?
Old 11-29-2019, 06:05 PM

Cooking Black Bear
Old 11-29-2019, 07:02 PM

No bear. Lot's of bear poop. Proving the axiom, bears DO poop in the woods. ()

That makes the 'Pope wears a funny hat', true as well.
Or so I've been told.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 11-29-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
No bear. Lot's of bear poop. Proving the axiom, bears DO poop in the woods. ()

That makes the 'Pope wears a funny hat', true as well.
Or so I've been told.
Did the bear poop have little bells in it? Did it smell of bear spray?