Old 11-28-2019, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

All seems to be well with my sleep pacemaker. I bump up the strength to Level 3 tonight.

A thousand times yes on NEVER JAM POTATO PEELS DOWN THE DISPOSAL!

Also don't feed it too many carrot peels or eggshells without running the water long enough afterward to wash the grindings out to the city sewer under the street. A couple months ago, PWAISDN put 18 eggshells into my disposer and hit the switch. Eggshells disappear and all seems well in the world. Until it wasn't and the washing machine drain backs up, making a mess in the garage. When I bought the place, I upgraded to the top-of-the-line disposer, having had bad experiences with the cheapies. Triple grinding, all stainless steel guts, so it'll never rust out and flood the cabinet. It'll safely devour bones, and it's quiet.

So, snake time. <yech!> I start snaking and come back with white sand. The disposer dutifully pulverized the shells into bits smaller than coffee grounds, but they all settled into a low spot or a bend in the pipe under the house. There are times when "Sorry honey" just isn't quite enough.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:59 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vorlon View Post
Time to join the cats up on the beams?
You could throw olives at the guests!
Old 11-28-2019, 02:04 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
its your fault for the first time in almost 20 years and the first real snow in almost 35

ITS SNOWING ! here in the desert ..... we might get 2-3 feet s its supposed to snow all day wonder if well make the weather channel .......

Feet? Wanna trade houses? I haven't seen that much snow in ages and I really really miss it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
I'm in a death spiral. Chihuahuas won't stop yapping. They are in the garage, now. Sounds like barking in a tin box. Daughter and kids talk so LOUD. Now I know why!
I do have a couple extra meat cleavers; just saying.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:16 PM

The lil'wrekker and her boyfriend Hamza are trying to convince Big Wrek that a Bollywood movie is just the thing to watch. Die Hard needs to die hard. Get it off my TV. Aaaccckkkk.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
Feet? Wanna trade houses? I haven't seen that much snow in ages and I really really miss it.
There's a link to some Facebook pics on the previous page. I don't know if you can see them.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:31 PM

Please, what does N.O.S. mean?
Old 11-28-2019, 02:38 PM

Sorry Shady
I had considered irking, for just an hour, but then comon sense took over and I took a nap instead.

Now I need to get to moving and get some stuff done around here.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anconia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampbear View Post
N.O.S. stands for Not Our Sunny, Sunny Daze. See, it may be sunny out, but it's Not Our Sunny that is the big ball of yellow in the sky. However, I am sure she spreads nuttin' but sunshine and joy wherever she goes.
The turkey is stuffed and in the oven. Extra dressing is in ramekins ready to be baked (eventually). Mrs. L.A. had Pop-Tarts for breakfast. I had a ham & cheese omelette and a V8.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anconia View Post
Not Our Sunny
as in it is sunny outside but Not Our Sunny (Daze) outside. Unless of course she has come for a visit, in which case she could very well be outside.

N.O.T. is Not Our Taters
as in I am having Not Our Taters salad for lunch, because it wouldn't do to eat Our Taters for lunch. Even if it wasn't illegal, cannabalism is just so ICK!

N.O.N. Not Our Nuts, well because it wouldn't be right to eat Filbert either, or to use her to describe those who are tetched in the haid. Even if she does like playing with bees.

Last edited by Sahirrnee; 11-28-2019 at 02:51 PM. Reason: whoops ninja'd
Old 11-28-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
Oil finish or oil-based stain?

Damnit, I'm not entirely sure. I have the manufacturer's info. I *think* it's oil finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Sunny does your new fridge have a drip pan?

No. I'll check into that.

D'Anconia here's the N.O.S. info.

Quote:
Rilchiam, sorry, not enough caffeine to come up with a nickname yet, that place looks uber fancy! Hope y'all enjoy! Sorry your FIL and step-MIL won't be able to join you, but glad step-MIL is on the mend. N.O.S. stands for Not Our Sunny, Sunny Daze. See, it may be sunny out, but it's Not Our Sunny that is the big ball of yellow in the sky. However, I am sure she spreads nuttin' but sunshine and joy wherever she goes.

It's a very grey day here. We're heading to my sister's for Thanksgiving, but I don't know when. I shall inquire.

Happy Thanksgiving all!
Old 11-28-2019, 03:28 PM

N.O. fried Turkey was very good. Son-of-a-wrek did a fine job. I must remember to tell him.
Girls are cleaning the kitchen. I'm sitting on my butt, headphones on, trying not to hear dogs.
One grandwrek said there was too much food til they came back thru and saw the decimated turkey carcass. She was astonished and took a pic on her phone of it. She laughed and laughed about it. Best moment of my day. ()
Old 11-28-2019, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

The turkey is up to 104ºF.
Old 11-28-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
I lived in Lancaster in high school and into my mid-20s. Mrs. L.A. grew up in Rosamond and Lancaster. We both attended QHHS.
I used to live in Lancaster and went to school there too, just... not the same one

No snow round here, just ludicrous levels of rain. Seriously, even by the standards of the wettest county in England, it's unusually wet. I think we've had maybe one day in the last month and a half when it's not rained at least a bit. I'm considering growing gills.

Oh, and happy Thursday!

And Thanksgiving, for those so inclined.
Old 11-28-2019, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Howdy Y'all! We feasted. We drank. We made merry, though since this is Turkey Day, I guess we made happy. Everyone is gone and the dishwasher is washin' away. Also, I turned the self clean thingy on for the oven cause it got some ick up in there. Since 'tis pleasant out, I opened the kitchen windows whilst the oven is cleanin'. Still keepin' da cave warm however. All in all a good day. As always, I love company both comin' and goin'.

Rilch you asked earlier about other antics of ex-friend. Among other things, he would snoop in medicine cabinets, dresser drawers, and closets. He would open kitchen cabinet doors and attempt to re-arrange stuff. One does not do such things. The oven thing was the last straw. Haven't seen or heard from or of him in over thirty years now, and don't care.
Old 11-28-2019, 04:56 PM

I have heard the best way to handle guests who snoop in medicine cabinets is to fill the cabinet with marbles before they come over.

Taking a break.

Glad y'all had a good time Swampy!

Last edited by Sahirrnee; 11-28-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-28-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:

Rilch you asked earlier about other antics of ex-friend. Among other things, he would snoop in medicine cabinets, dresser drawers, and closets. He would open kitchen cabinet doors and attempt to re-arrange stuff. One does not do such things. The oven thing was the last straw. Haven't seen or heard from or of him in over thirty years now, and don't care.
Yeah, I figured it must have been a back-breaking straw.

Now, who is PWAISDN? Person Who...?

--------------------------------------------

Man, are we stuffed. I thought for a moment I was going to have to sleep in my dress, but with Mr. Rilch's help, I peeled it off. I hope the staff at the Grand Concourse share tips, at least on AYCE buffet days, because our waitron was very helpful, but so were the runners and the people at various stations. I saved room for chocolate cake, and OMG was it good.

Also stopped in to see the ILs on the way. Turns out step-MIL is on puréed food at this time. We were there long enough to get into a lively discussion about The Masked Singer! Neither of the ILs knows who Ana Gasteyer is, (if Tree is her) but step-MIL called Flower from the start. Mr. Rilch:
Old 11-28-2019, 06:21 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Home, stuffded, and exhausted. I brought some leftovers with me, and my nephew really liked the sweet potato souffle, so he took most of those leftovers. Yay! And my sister loved the bloody Mary deviled eggs, so yay for that.

I'm about to assume the recline position - I's tahred.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

I was momentarily transported back to DST. Looked at the fancy clock in the livin' room with the Roman numerals and thought it was seven-thirty. I walked into the kitchen and the clock on the nukalator said six-thirty. I was weirded out. Am I in DST? Am I in Alabammy?
Old 11-28-2019, 06:46 PM
Elephant Whisperer

While you guys are all stuffed fuller than the turkey, it's still early afternoon here, and the anticipation is idling along. Mmmmm.

And what is this "snow" everyone keeps mentioning?
Old 11-28-2019, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
While you guys are all stuffed fuller than the turkey, it's still early afternoon here...
Not yet 1600 here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
Home, stuffded, and exhausted.
Oof. Turkey, some mashed potatoes and stuffing with gravy (only some -- low carb, me), cranberry sauce, and I'm on my third glass of wine.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:55 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Not yet 1600 here.
2019 here, with 2020 just over a month away. Man, they're doing some crazy things with time zones now.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

I broke a rule.

The rule is: Never drink white wine unless you're out of red.

I'm on my third glass of white. I'll finish it, and then switch to red.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:32 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
The rule is: Never drink white wine unless you're out of red.

I'm on my third glass of white. I'll finish it, and then switch to red.
Like the song says, love the wine you're with.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:42 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
There's a link to some Facebook pics on the previous page. I don't know if you can see them.

I did; and watched some of the video as well. I actually keep a couple street/traffic cams from Siberia bookmarked and open them as little corner windows sometimes; it gives me warm fuzzies all over watching snow fall in temps below zero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Damnit, I'm not entirely sure. I have the manufacturer's info. I *think* it's oil finish.
Put something about the manufacturer and finish into Da Google (Kopek feel like Larry in Pearls when it comes to Da Google) and add something like fridge leak for current brands and such but I would so a sealant and repeat every few years.

https://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/2016/12/26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahirrnee View Post
I have heard the best way to handle guests who snoop in medicine cabinets is to fill the cabinet with marbles before they come over.
According to my late Cousin Freddy Hart de-fanged rattlesnakes work well for things like that as well.

Look -- I've told you before -- in my family I AM the shy quiet backward one.

OK -- its your fault for making me think about it. Cousin Freddy was this little milk-toast looking kind of fellow who you would expect got beat up at the beach a lot. Fred was also a semi-professional snake hunter and keeper. He did those events where you jumped into a pool of rattlers and caught them by hand, bought infested cottages to hunt clean and resale -- and he was damn good at it. This from someone who looked like Pointdexter. I say semi-pro because he also worked in the steel mills as a sort of electrical instrument wiz. There was this crew boss at one who was always giving Fred a seriously hard time; dude as this middle-linebacker and classic bully. "There's no way that little ball-less piece of shit would do anything dangerous like that" and so on and so on. So Cuzz defanged a 5-footer and put it in the bosses lunch pail. Boss opened pail, snake made a bee-line for his nose, and constipation issues were resolved for years to come. He got fired, of course -- but another mill picked him up the next month.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. L.A.
Do you want to start a fire, or do you want to turn the heat up?
I started a fire.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:46 PM

Back from the neighborhood shindig. ‘Twas very nice and the food was good too. Home and about to watch more of The Crown. A good day it was.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
While you guys are all stuffed fuller than the turkey, it's still early afternoon here, and the anticipation is idling along. Mmmmm.

And what is this "snow" everyone keeps mentioning?
Ah, go eat a pigeon!

It's chilly here, and damp, but not icy.

I hopoe everyone had as good a day as I did. I arrived at my mom's house about 8:15 AM to get things started. I already had the turkey in the roaster, got the oven heating, seasoned the burd, and in it went. It was not quite twelve pounds, so it took only a short two hours to roast. In between things I got the dressing arranged and prepped ingredients for the potato casserole. My sister arrived and we set the table, using the good china for the first time in forever. There were only five of us. Nothing burned, nothing broke, everything was done as it should be. We had turkey, potato casserole, dressing, rolls, cauliflower and broccoli side dish, wine, coffee, cheesecake and pumpkin bars.

We are stuffed! All in all as nice a Thanksgiving as one could have. Sis and I worked together well cleaning up the dishes. All I have left to do is go back to mom's tomorrow and portion out some leftovers between her and me. At home I will also begin simmering the carcass of the turkey for good broth. Our family has never wasted a thing when it comes to turkey.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:38 PM

I don't know why I've always thought Filbert is male. Sorry!

Slow day at irk, tire problem (see November mini-rants for details). DH and I are dining via forage, since going out is just not happening, between the tire situation, my fatigue level, and his mobility limits right now.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:40 PM

We eat our holiday meals early-ish. Today it happened at 1.m.
The second trip through the food has happened. Now I have leftovers of leftovers. Gah!!!
The amount of food that has been consumed today is amazing.
Mid-daughters young sons can eat like teens. I asked her how she kept them fed. She told about this summer she had to put an extra meal on the day. In the afternoon after some activity like baseball or swimming they had another lunch. Or they would snack and beg for sweets. They are skinny as scarecrows. Tall for their age though.
Old 11-29-2019, 03:30 AM

ehh my day sort of sucked and i sort of caused the hassle and sorta didn't then i didn't eat (and didntr miss much) but its no big thing other than the snow it would to a day ill forget in a month

Last edited by nightshadea; 11-29-2019 at 03:32 AM.
Old 11-29-2019, 06:13 AM
Charter Member

Good Mornin' Y'all! Up and caffeinatin'. *YAWN* 'Tis 45 Amurrkin out and clear with a predicted high of 72 and mostly N.O.S. This mornin' I shall head over to the church house to take care of some duties and then back to da cave for sloth time. Needless to say, sup and any other need to feed shall be leftovers from yestiddy. We have plenty even with havin' sent some folks home with stuff. Oh and I suppose I should empty the dishwasher and put the fancy eatin' plates and such back in the china cabinet.

Now I need more caffeine and rumbly tummy wants to be fed. Then, alas, alack, and bother, I must needs purtify and don appropriate bein' in public attire. Life makes such awful demands!

Happy Firday Y'all!
Old 11-29-2019, 07:42 AM

Happy Firday!

Woke up too early again, but that is okay today. I went to bed early last night, and I have lots to do today. Turkey should be totally thawed and it will fit into the instant pot, so we'll see how it turns out.

It's a chilly 36, feels like 28, degrees outside. Supposed to get up to 46, not too horrible for irking outside.
No park today, too much to get ready this morning. They are coming earlier than I expected. Ripple is upset, Echo is busy pulling their toys back out of the basket and spreading them around the floor.
My son is sleeping, but he needs to get up soon. I need his help moving the love seat so I can get all the toys out from under it and vacuum. I may add taking the love seat to the dump to today's list of things to do. I don't know, I can use the extra seating on Sunday and I'm not ready to buy something else. However, it's old, uncomfortable, and an irritation because it is just high enough that the dogs can push stuff under it but not high enough to get anything back out without lifting it up.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:16 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Well, that was weird - I was reading this thread and my computer decided it needed to restart. That after my recent account adventure - I'm starting to wonder if this machine is possessed!

Another weird night of waking after stoopit dreams. Maybe I need Mel to get me thru a night uninterrupted. At the moment (a bit after 8 of the AM) FCD is out at his desk and Daughter and fambly are all still asleep. I will shower and dress shortly (can't stay in robe and slippers all day, right?) then I need to sort thru some drawing for FCD.

I thought about doing leaves today - maybe tomorrow instead. Just not feeling it today.

Oh, and I need to pull the turkey out of the fridge and prep it for smoking - probably do that tomorrow also. Just don't feel like doing much today. Maybe after a bracing shower...

Anyway, Happy Black Firday!!!!
Old 11-29-2019, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm starting to wonder if this machine is possessed!
Probably a 'feature' of Windoze 10
Old 11-29-2019, 08:51 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Entirely possible. I do so hate Win10...

OK, for reals now - off to shower and dress like an adult. Really!!!
Old 11-29-2019, 09:31 AM

Morning from irk. I only have a half day today and probably should have just taken off the whole day but here I am. Buddy is irking today too.

I am cooking a small turkey roast and some dressing and green beans today and a pie so we can snack all weekend. I can't get by without my good cornbread dressing. My fence should be here today for the tree so I shall get the tree up this weekend.

Happy Weekend everyone!
Old 11-29-2019, 10:29 AM

I am so done.

I don't know what to tell my son to do.
I have been helping him with this group community service project and get nothing from the other members of the team. His co-leader said he would help look for something, nothing from him. Every place we have called has either not gotten back to us or doesn't need anyone at this time.
The only place that needed help was gift wrapping presents for the United Way, and almost all the slots are full. I had grabbed 5 slots, but had to release them because only two of the five could come at that time. Then nobody answered when they are available because 'supposedly' their schedules change weekly and they have no idea until the week before what their schedule is. Maybe... but I think it is bullshit because they should be able to request a time off and be scheduled around it. I'm really pissed at the co-leader because he has done absolutely nothing to help. He said he would, but did nothing.
So I guess my son, who did work on the project, will get a big fucking zero, unless he can get the team partial credit for at least trying.
The part that really pisses me off is that multiple times we sent out a text requesting information and get NOTHING back.
No matter what happens, the entire team gets the same grade, so he did all this work for jack.
I get that they have jobs and families, but if you can't do the goddamn work then drop out.
I won't say anything out of respect for my son who doesn't like confrontation, but you best believe I'd have a whole lot to say to them if it were my grades that were being affected.

I think love seat is going to dump. Da jungle has some chairs at a good price that match what I already have and I ordered two of them. Probably should have only ordered one. They'll be delivered Wednesday, so the love seat has to go.

Everybody should be getting here around noon. I was told the youngest of the boys is going to stay with me until Christmas. I hope he likes raking leaves.

Last edited by Sahirrnee; 11-29-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-29-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahirrnee View Post
How?

We're having turkey day today. TheGirlChildtm and her family had T-day with his mother (the one who's 98) yesterday and then, after visiting with her bro and family, drove over here last night. About a 6 hour drive. They got here about 11pm. Unfortunately their dog stepped on the punkin pie in the back of the truck. I'm not even going to comment.

Anyway preparations are being made for feasting. I'm staying out of the way. I'm all helpful like that.

Happy black Friday, and national leftovers day. I'm one of those people who can eat turkey anytime. I lurves it!
Old 11-29-2019, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Golden Corral was decent yesterday. And going later, we avoided the rush. I did have to have my cranberry log slices at home, though. It's a tad chillier today.
Old 11-29-2019, 01:15 PM

Took Ursala Kitteh for her post surgery check up. Had to trap her behind the terlit! Girl is fine and has forgiven me. I forgot to go to irk today but am checking emails from home in front of the teevee watching Harry Potter movies. That counts as work. I thought about going to Target today but a nanosecond later realized that was a foolish idea.
Old 11-29-2019, 01:22 PM

The son and his houseful came out to AZ for the holiday. We ate ourselves all outta shape and generally enjoyed being together. COTU#3, otherwise known as the Grandson, requested snow. Well, it snowed like crazy this AM, and we be waiting for them guys to come out to the house! Our home has a deck completely around the perimeter, and there is all this pristine snow with NO mud included, just waiting for him!

Re: MMP lingo. And here I thought N.O.S. meant "Nice Out Side." Silly VOW!

~VOW

(COTU=Center of the Universe, a title created when the first grandbaby was born. With the birth of each subsequent grandbaby, it became obvious the Universe could have more than one center!)
Old 11-29-2019, 01:32 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I sorted thru the yarn that was donated to AARP - OMG, what horrible stuff it is! Some was the thread-like stuff for crocheting doilies and such - trashed. Some was wool-blend - trashed. There were several single, small skeins of weird-texture yarn - trashed. Some were just small balls that were pretty much worthless - trashed. LOTS of browns - not sure what I'll do with that.

And all they want are baby blankets or lap robes - BORING!! I think my days of knitting for them are about done. Maybe I'll contact some local places.

I'm going to make a brisket for supper, with healthy sides to make up for yesterday's sugar overload. Beyond that, I think the rest of my day will be wasted.
Old 11-29-2019, 02:42 PM

Home. Pie in oven which needs 400F. Cornbread in same oven that requires 450. Green beans on top of stove and turkey in fast pot for a pre cook. Oven is at 400. Cornbread will have to deal. We have a fancy stainless steel 6 burner commercial stove on the porch but that would require a pilot be lit so I shall make do with kitchen oven. Once the pie is done the dressing shall go in and the turkey finished off. The pecan pie only needs to thaw. The one in the oven is a cherry pie.

I am hangry already so must find something to hold me over.

No shopping here today at all.
Old 11-29-2019, 03:55 PM

quiet again

omg the two younger boys are like two tornadoes going through the house

poor baby echo hid the entire time they were here

they spent a good bit of time sliding down the bilco doors
then found out they could open the doors and that the doors make a real LOUD bang when you slam them shut

but squirrel hole is fixed
shed roof can't be fixed by niece2 ex-bf as the entire roof is rotted and needs to be replaced
he cut down as much of the trees as he could get to, but unfortuately not the trunks pushing the fence over
bedroom rug is down i haven't looked at it yet, but from what I understand it goes wall to wall which doesn't make sense as it is 8x10 i'll have to looks at it but as long as my bed stops sliding across the floor i'll be happy
love seat is loaded in the truck but the dump is closed today so my son and i will take it tomorrow
or i can probably even take it by myself getting it on the truck is the hard part getting it off should be easy

kind of sorry i ordered the chairs now, i like the look of an almost empty living room

dinner was good but way too much food
turkey in the instant pot doesn't look so good but is very moist and yummy

we'll be having leftovers for sunday lunch i think
or i'll figure out something to do with turkey and ham

Last edited by Sahirrnee; 11-29-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-29-2019, 04:07 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

The brisket has been in the oven a bit over an hour, and it's smelling really good. I'll start the sides in about 45 minutes. Supper should be good and healthy.
Old 11-29-2019, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Turkey Day v2, and the mashed potatoes are gone. Destroyed.

Initial missteps and misadventures aside, I'm pleased that they turned out pretty well and folks liked 'em.
Old 11-29-2019, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The brisket has been in the oven a bit over an hour, and it's smelling really good. I'll start the sides in about 45 minutes. Supper should be good and healthy.
What is brisket labeled in a Southern grocery store?
Old 11-29-2019, 06:18 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Flytrap, is that a joke? If so, I don't know the punch line.

Regardless, it was good. About an hour before it was done, I dumped a sack of baby carrots into the pot. Roxy lurved the carrots! I'm so glad that kid likes veggies.

Now, chillage shall ensue.
Old 11-29-2019, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Flytrap, is that a joke? If so, I don't know the punch line.

Regardless, it was good. About an hour before it was done, I dumped a sack of baby carrots into the pot. Roxy lurved the carrots! I'm so glad that kid likes veggies.

Now, chillage shall ensue.
No, I can't find brisket in Kroger.
Old 11-29-2019, 06:47 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I'm not aware of it being called anything else.