Old 11-26-2019, 10:27 PM

Michael Savage

Has anyone listen to The Savage Nation, a rightwing talk radio show, hosted by nationalist Michael Savage since 1994.

Savage is one of the most listened to talk show hosts in America, which has vaulted him to the Talk Radio Hall of Fame.

I don't care for his Trump approval, but he is very intelligent. He has a master's collegiate degree in medical botany and anthropology at the University of Hawaii and a Ph.D. in nutritional botany from the University of California, Berkley.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Savage
Old 11-26-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees 1996 Champs View Post
Has anyone listen to The Savage Nation, a rightwing talk radio show, hosted by nationalist Michael Savage since 1994.
Not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees 1996 Champs
I don't care for his Trump approval, but he is very intelligent. He has a master's collegiate degree in medical botany and anthropology at the University of Hawaii and a Ph.D. in nutritional botany from the University of California, Berkley.
Always flattered to hear somebody endorsing the assumption that having a Ph.D. automatically makes a person "very intelligent", irrespective of whether or not the subject of their doctoral work has anything to do with what they're expressing opinions about. But I'm not sure it holds up in Michael Savage's case. For one thing, his endorsement of homeopathy doesn't speak well for his intelligence.

Summary from above link:
Quote:
On the basis of his published writings as both [his legal name] Michael Weiner and Michael Savage, he might be described as a health nut who believes that white, Christian people are under assault from the heartless, atheistic left-wing, that strong borders will prevent the spread of virulent, immigrant-borne diseases, and that there are natural cures for everything from heart disease, to cancer, HIV, and liberal thinking. [...]

Michael Weiner aka Michael Savage is one of those people who have made a career — and a considerable fortune — lying to the American people to create impressions that exacerbate the hysteria on the RIGHT while claiming that the left is hysterical. He is a rabble rouser with a following, and that makes him a very dangerous man, but not a very smart one.

Last edited by Kimstu; 11-26-2019 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
Not me.

Always flattered to hear somebody endorsing the assumption that having a Ph.D. automatically makes a person "very intelligent", irrespective of whether or not the subject of their doctoral work has anything to do with what they're expressing opinions about. But I'm not sure it holds up in Michael Savage's case. For one thing, his endorsement of homeopathy doesn't speak well for his intelligence.

Summary from above link:
He is rightwing, yes.

What makes a person intelligent in your opinion?
Old 11-26-2019, 10:46 PM

What has homeopathy to do with being right wing?
Old 11-26-2019, 10:55 PM

I'm vaguely aware of Savage being a right wing nut who says hateful things (didn't he once tell a caller that he hoped the caller got AIDS and died?) but he doesn't really take up much space in my brain.

Why is this in the Pit? What's your opinion of him?
Old 11-26-2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
I'm vaguely aware of Savage being a right wing nut who says hateful things (didn't he once tell a caller that he hoped the caller got AIDS and died?) but he doesn't really take up much space in my brain.

Why is this in the Pit? What's your opinion of him?
I think Savage is rude and nuts, but he makes good points about society. America is losing social cohesion of community.

America has a social issue.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:30 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I don't know, but right wingers eat that shit up. The left isn't immune to it, by any means, but right wing loons seem to have had a lot more success peddling it - almost all these shrieking demagogues like Savage have a major side-line in snake oil.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
{...} America is losing social cohesion of community.

America has a social issue.
"Social cohesion of community" . . . what the fuck is that, and when did America have more of it???

CMC fnord!
Old 11-26-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
I think Savage is rude and nuts, but he makes good points about society. America is losing social cohesion of community.
Largely thanks to Michael Savage and his ilk spewing their rudeness and nuttiness all over the place, as Defensive Indifference recalled:
Quote:
Television viewers may still remember Savageís brief, unhappy tenure on MSNBC, which ended after he responded to a prank caller by saying, ďOh, youíre one of the sodomites. You should only get AIDS and die, you pig.Ē
The fact that someone like Savage can make millions off of decades of whipping up his fellow conservatives to hate people, and then be taken seriously by them when he whines that America is "losing social cohesion", merely demonstrates how abjectly conservatives in general these days have abandoned critical thinking and regard for facts.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
They dilute facts until they're nonexistent, and peddle the result as remedies for society?
Old 11-26-2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Largely thanks to Michael Savage and his ilk spewing their rudeness and nuttiness all over the place, as Defensive Indifference recalled:

The fact that someone like Savage can make millions off of decades of whipping up his fellow conservatives to hate people, and then be taken seriously by them when he whines that America is "losing social cohesion", merely demonstrates how abjectly conservatives in general these days have abandoned critical thinking and regard for facts.
Michael Moore, Cenk Ugyr whips up fellow progressives to hate people as well. Both sides have their crackpots.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowmanyclouds View Post
"Social cohesion of community" . . . what the fuck is that, and when did America have more of it???

CMC fnord!
A sense of belonging.

A sense that Americans have a bond of honor, trust, strength, faith.

Those things have been lost since the 1990s.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
A sense of belonging.

In the 1990s, Pat Buchanan declared at the RNC that "there is a religious war going on in this country. It is a cultural war, as critical to the kind of nation we shall be as was the Cold War itself, for this war is for the soul of America," because of things like "the amoral idea that gay and lesbian couples should have the same standing in law as married men and women." James Byrd, Jr. was dragged to death because he was black. Mathew Shepard was beaten and left to die because he was gay. Abortion clinics were bombed. The Oklahoma Federal Building was bombed. The Unabomber was active. And Rush Limbaugh was building his media empire by incessantly attacking feminazis, communists, the NAACP ("The NAACP should have riot rehearsal. They should get a liquor store and practice robberies."), and anyone else he could demonize.

You really think that there was a sense of belonging for all Americans in the 1990s?

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 11-26-2019 at 11:59 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:59 PM

The OP's posting style reminds me very much of someone else.

I can't quite put my finger on what it is though.

There's something about the cadence of his posts that's familiar to me.

Interesting how that works, isn't it?

I wonder if it's just a coincidence.

Are we ever going to know the truth?

I hope so. But maybe it's just not in the cards.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:01 AM

Something Aaron Sorkin wrote in friggin' 1995 in "The American President"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The American President
That, ladies and gentlemen, is how you win elections. You gather a group of middle-aged, middle-class, middle-income voters who remember with longing an easier time, and you talk to them about family and American values and character.
You'd think people would eventually learn better than to fall for nostalgia and the 'better days' trap. But nope. PT Barnum nailed it. One born every second.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
You really think that there was a sense of belonging for all Americans in the 1990s?
Point. I think maybe what the OP is experiencing as "loss of social cohesion" is mostly just the long-overdue realization that straight white traditional-family-values-type Americans aren't automatically going to be the people in charge of running everything in the country, and aren't even always going to be a majority in the country.

Personally, I've got plenty of social cohesion with everybody from the ladies in the local quilting group (many of whom are probably Trump voters but we're not there to talk politics) to my fellow demonstrators at the climate protests. If you need the illusion of constant agreement and social uniformity to be able to feel a sense of community, then you probably never really had any "social cohesion" in the first place.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Point. I think maybe what the OP is experiencing as "loss of social cohesion" is mostly just the long-overdue realization that straight white traditional-family-values-type Americans aren't automatically going to be the people in charge of running everything in the country, and aren't even always going to be a majority in the country.

Personally, I've got plenty of social cohesion with everybody from the ladies in the local quilting group (many of whom are probably Trump voters but we're not there to talk politics) to my fellow demonstrators at the climate protests. If you need the illusion of constant agreement and social uniformity to be able to feel a sense of community, then you probably never really had any "social cohesion" in the first place.
Has nothing to do with race so I don't know race got brought up at all. What I am talking about is no sense of faith, no sense of valor. Nothing to do with race. Nothing to do with race.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
In the 1990s, Pat Buchanan declared at the RNC that "there is a religious war going on in this country. It is a cultural war, as critical to the kind of nation we shall be as was the Cold War itself, for this war is for the soul of America," because of things like "the amoral idea that gay and lesbian couples should have the same standing in law as married men and women." James Byrd, Jr. was dragged to death because he was black. Mathew Shepard was beaten and left to die because he was gay. Abortion clinics were bombed. The Oklahoma Federal Building was bombed. The Unabomber was active. And Rush Limbaugh was building his media empire by incessantly attacking feminazis, communists, the NAACP ("The NAACP should have riot rehearsal. They should get a liquor store and practice robberies."), and anyone else he could demonize.

Talking heads are not the issue, necessarily. Its about faith, vigor, valor.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:35 AM

Quote:
What I am talking about is no sense of faith, no sense of valor.
"No sense of faith" in what way? Religious faith? "No sense of valor" in what way? AFAICT there are about as many brave people around as there ever were, and appreciation levels for them are about the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees 1996 Champs
Its about faith, vigor, valor.
"Vigor"? I think you're going to have to explain exactly what it is you're talking about. It may seem obvious to you that America is suffering from a loss of "faith, vigor, valor", but that sounds absolutely meaningless to me (unless by the "faith" bit you mean that more Americans are identifying as non-religious nowadays, which I agree is factually true).
Old 11-27-2019, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Michael Moore, Cenk Ugyr whips up fellow progressives to hate people as well. Both sides have their crackpots.
That's your argument, "they do it too!" ?

Not very convincing, dude.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
That's your argument, "they do it too!" ?

Not very convincing, dude.
Yeah. While I definitely don't deny that some left-wing activists like Michael Moore also promote highly partisan viewpoints, I think the OP may have failed to grasp the specific irony of praising Michael Savage for decrying "loss of social cohesion" when Savage himself is one of the most aggressively partisan and divisive pundits out there.

Even if you believe Savage is right about some other things, how can you admire his views on "loss of social cohesion" when they so clearly indicate that he's either got his head way up his ass or is a raging hypocrite, or both? It'd be like praising Donald Trump for criticizing the tendency of public figures to tell too many lies.
Old 11-27-2019, 02:12 AM

Quote:
A sense of belonging.

Absolutely. It is only through sense of belonging, trust, strength and bond of honor that the glorious American republic will rise up to overthrow the chains of bourgeois capitalism! All power to the United States. Peace to the People. Land to the peasants.

Can I just note your grammar is really coming along nicely. Have you been practising?
Old 11-27-2019, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Kumquat View Post
Absolutely. It is only through sense of belonging, trust, strength and bond of honor that the glorious American republic will rise up to overthrow the chains of bourgeois capitalism! All power to the United States. Peace to the People. Land to the peasants.

Can I just note your grammar is really coming along nicely. Have you been practising?
No, he is real American. He loves the baseball. He spent many American afternoon in baseball place watching ball get hit and run. GO YANKEES
Old 11-27-2019, 03:00 AM
BANNED

Quote:
He is rightwing, yes.

Well, for starters, not constantly spouting a bunch of crazy nonsense about nearly any given subject.

The man is a homeopath who supports Donald Trump and denies climate change (I wrote this one before even bothering to check if it was true, because this is basically every republican pundit, and yes, I'm right). That's three strikes on the "crazy nonsense" scorecard.

What the fuck makes him intelligent in your view?

Quote:
I wonder if this has anything to do with extreme right-wing pundits spreading insane propaganda that turns people into bigoted xenophobic monsters.
Old 11-27-2019, 03:14 AM

Has anyone heard anything about an upcoming grit shortage? I hear China's gonna cut their exports.
Thank God we have President Trump, I'm certain that Hillary would have sold America's gumption mines to the Russians!

CMC fnord!
Old 11-27-2019, 03:24 AM

Michael Savage vs Dan Savage. Discuss.
Old 11-27-2019, 03:49 AM

Quote:
I'd say that any contact between the two would lead to a roughly 3 gigaton explosion (assuming 75 kg for the lighter of the two).
Old 11-27-2019, 04:22 AM

Quote:
America has long been proud of having no such thing. Immigrant communities have much more social cohesion (in some cases, forced by the rejection from the not-so-receiving country) than Standard Americans, and these more than Mythological Americans.

Quote:
My money's on Dan.

Last edited by Nava; 11-27-2019 at 04:23 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 04:50 AM

Quote:
"Vigor"? I think you're going to have to explain exactly what it is you're talking about. It may seem obvious to you that America is suffering from a loss of "faith, vigor, valor", but that sounds absolutely meaningless to me (unless by the "faith" bit you mean that more Americans are identifying as non-religious nowadays, which I agree is factually true).
I believe he's referring to the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Old 11-27-2019, 04:53 AM

Quote:
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Michael_Savage

Vs.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Dan_Savage
Old 11-27-2019, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
I'd say that any contact between the two would lead to a roughly 3 gigaton explosion (assuming 75 kg for the lighter of the two).
Good answer, but I'm afraid I'll have to mark you down for not showing your work.

Plagiarism is bad enough, but you've not even gone to the effort of trying to cut and paste into an answer. See me after class.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:12 AM
BANNED

Dan Savage taught me there's nothing wrong with expecting a relationship that's sexually fulfilled.

Mike Savage taught me there's nothing wrong with being an offensively awful bigot for much of the country.

One of these helped me a lot. The other depresses me greatly.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Good answer, but I'm afraid I'll have to mark you down for not showing your work.

Plagiarism is bad enough, but you've not even gone to the effort of trying to cut and paste into an answer. See me after class.
Man, im just auditing this class. Get off my back!
Old 11-27-2019, 05:55 AM
Charter Member

Mistaking Mr. Weiner for an "intelligent" person speaks poorly of your discernment.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Has nothing to do with race
Sorry, some of those durn librul spies got hold of a few of the Seekrit Decoder Rings. They were able to translate Mr. Weiner's usage of the term "social cohesion" into standard English.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Its about faith, vigor, valor.
The explanation for how these principles result in undying devotion to the golf-cart-borne physical embodiment of the Seven Deadly Sins known as Napoleon Boneyspurs ought to be most interesting....
Old 11-27-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
He is rightwing, yes.

First and foremost, an intelligent person knows the limit of their own knowledge.

Savage is just another self-proclaimed “smartest guy in any room” who believes the stupidest shit because he thinks if a “smart” guy like him believes it, it must be true.

Last edited by jz78817; 11-27-2019 at 07:06 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Assume a matter-antimatter explosion. 1 gram of antimatter has a explosive yield of 40 kilotons of TNT. Taking a mass of 75 kg (as only the lighter of the two will undergo a full reaction), that's 40,000 tons X 75,000 grams = 3,000,000,000 tons, or 3 gigatons of TNT.

Better?
Old 11-27-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
Dan Savage taught me there's nothing wrong with expecting a relationship that's sexually fulfilled.

Mike Savage taught me there's nothing wrong with being an offensively awful bigot for much of the country.

One of these helped me a lot. The other depresses me greatly.
What has Randy "Macho Man" Savage taught you?
Old 11-27-2019, 08:15 AM

I'm not going to get into this Savage guy's philosophical rhetoric, which I assume is the usual right wing bullshit shit sandwich nonsense that his stupid listeners eat up with a grin

I'll just say that I have a PhD. I know literally thousands (and I mean literally, not figuratively) of other people who have PhDs in a dizzying array of academic fields.

Some of them are goddam morons. Most are at least competent in their areas of expertise (but not all!), but having a narrow area of knowledge does not make you intelligent.

You don't have to be that smart to get a PhD. You just need to be very persistent.

This guy sounds like a moron with a PhD.

Last edited by mozchron; 11-27-2019 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
He is rightwing, yes.

Not being right wing.
They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:39 AM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
To snap into a Slim Jim?

Hey, it's far more valuable than what Michael Savage has taught me. I've heard his show. If you are able to listen to five minutes of it and still think that he's smart, you're one of the biggest dumbfucks to ever post here.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
That Slim Jims are fucking awesome. Which places him slightly below Dan and way above Mike. I think Adam might be the best Savage, though, in no small part because of this tweet.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:12 AM

I'm a little confused by people who see a board with the expressed purpose of Fighting Ignorance, take the trouble to choose a name, join, and compose posts, then start their own thread... knowing that their Spreading Ignorance isn't going to do any good.

Do they not read a few threads first and realize this place is predominantly Smartypantses?

(I do realize this OP could just be someone who wants to 'rile dem libs', who's possibly been here before... but my point applies to decades of predecessors)
Old 11-27-2019, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That wrestling fans love them some Village People?
Old 11-27-2019, 09:32 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
A sense of belonging.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Civil_War
Old 11-27-2019, 09:34 AM
BANNED

As a native-born Mainer, I can say: this is exactly what I expect out of a Yankees fan.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post
To snap into a Slim Jim?

Hey, it's far more valuable than what Michael Savage has taught me. I've heard his show. If you are able to listen to five minutes of it and still think that he's smart, you're one of the biggest dumbfucks to ever post here.
<macho man> Oh YEAHHHHHH!!!! </macho man>
Old 11-27-2019, 10:34 AM

“Doc” Savage had a lot of vigor (and for that matter, vim!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 11-27-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
I don't know, but right wingers eat that shit up. The left isn't immune to it, by any means, but right wing loons seem to have had a lot more success peddling it - almost all these shrieking demagogues like Savage have a major side-line in snake oil.
Not really the point I was trying to make. Kimstu said, Savage's endorsement of homeopathy doesn't speak well for his intelligence. Yankees 1996 Champs responded specifically to that comment, quoting it, by saying yes, Savage is right wing: as if the only thing wrong with supporting homeopathy were that he thinks Kimstu perceives it as a right wing position. I was trying, apparently not very successfully, to point out that Champs' answer is a nonsequitur.

FWIW, the homeopathy-favoring people I know are mostly far left. I'm not surprised to hear that it's gone in for by multiple sides, however.