Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 11-27-2019, 10:58 AM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 85,784
I'll just point out, here, that in a matter-antimatter reaction between samples of baryonic matter (i.e., where most of the mass is in protons and neutrons), over half of the available energy will end up in neutrinos, which will not contribute in any meaningful way to anything that could be described as an "explosion". Though you would end up with a lot of scientists at Homestake and Kamiokande saying "what the Hell was that?" well before the shock front reached them.
  #52  
Old 11-27-2019, 11:18 AM
Typo Negative's Avatar
Typo Negative is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 7th Level of Hell, Ca
Posts: 18,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees 1996 Champs View Post
A sense of belonging.

A sense that Americans have a bond of honor, trust, strength, faith.

Those things have been lost since the 1990s.
Lets talk about that bond of honor, trust, strength, faith.

You are either not from these parts or willfully ignorant.

Back in the bygone days when we had a bond of honor, trust, strength, faith, it was OK for cops to belong to the KKK. Lynching was OK. Blacks having to go to separate schools, use different bathrooms, use different water fountains...that was OK.

Not as OK as the bygone days of bonds of honor, trust, strength and faith when the blacks could be sold as property and savagely beaten or killed if they misbehaved. You ever hear of Emmett Till? But the conservatives eventially had to make allowances. They could still have a world where gays had to hide for fear of being beaten of killed and have the cops not care so much, so long as it wasn't on the front page. Because if gays complained to the cops, they would arrested. Ya know, for doing gay-stuff. (it was illegal!) They could have a world where non-white, non-Christian and non-heterosexuals could be treated as second class citizens.

And women, barefoot and pregnant. Or, if in the workplace, OK to ogled, pawed at, harassed and told they could only keep their jobs by sucking the boss's cock and get fired if they complained. All while working for less than a man would get. Woman were to be subservient. The office place was a bastion white men, Christian and Straight! It was good, because they a bond of honor, trust, strength, faith!

And you could practice your faith in a catholic church where they didn't have to hear all the talk about Priest's molesting kids. They didn't do that back then. Because Priests had bonds of honor, trust, strength and faith!




The good old days weren't nearly as good as some people remember.
__________________
"Just love everybody. I'll sort 'em out later"

-God
  #53  
Old 11-27-2019, 11:19 AM
Knowed Out's Avatar
Knowed Out is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Kakkalakee
Posts: 15,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees 1996 Champs View Post
Has nothing to do with race so I don't know race got brought up at all. What I am talking about is no sense of faith, no sense of valor. Nothing to do with race. Nothing to do with race.
Taking writing lessons from Trump's notes? I want nothing. I want nothing. I want no quid pro quo.

It sounds like you're echoing somebody else's talking points when you say "no sense of faith, no sense of valor" and hoping that passes as self-evident. "No sense of faith" as in what, no faith in the president? No faith in Christian worship? No faith in general stuff? What aspect of society lacks valor?
  #54  
Old 11-27-2019, 11:32 AM
Buck Godot's Avatar
Buck Godot is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MD outside DC
Posts: 6,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Kumquat View Post
Michael Savage vs Dan Savage. Discuss.
Doc savage takes them both out without breaking a sweat.
  #55  
Old 11-27-2019, 11:54 AM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is online now
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 63,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees 1996 Champs View Post
Its about faith, vigor, valor.
Did you get that from a bumper sticker, a t-shirt, or a random spewing from one of your conservative "heroes"?
  #56  
Old 11-27-2019, 12:23 PM
Typo Negative's Avatar
Typo Negative is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 7th Level of Hell, Ca
Posts: 18,097
The people who bemoan the lack of a bond of honor, trust, strength, faith are trying to subvert Democracy in Kentucky.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...of-power-grabs

Quote:
It also follows similar lame-duck maneuvers by Republican legislators in Michigan and Wisconsin in 2018 and North Carolina in 2016—all of which came only after the GOP lost elections for governor in each state. These schemes amount to a refusal on the part of Republicans to acknowledge that Democrats are a legitimate opposition party entitled to govern when they win elections
__________________
"Just love everybody. I'll sort 'em out later"

-God
  #57  
Old 11-27-2019, 12:27 PM
Typo Negative's Avatar
Typo Negative is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 7th Level of Hell, Ca
Posts: 18,097
The people who bemoan the lack of a bond of honor, trust, strength, faith are trying to keep actual facts out of public policy decisions.

Quote:
WASHINGTON — The Trump administration is preparing to significantly limit the scientific and medical research that the government can use to determine public health regulations, overriding protests from scientists and physicians who say the new rule would undermine the scientific underpinnings of government policymaking.
__________________
"Just love everybody. I'll sort 'em out later"

-God

Last edited by Typo Negative; 11-27-2019 at 12:27 PM.
  #58  
Old 11-27-2019, 12:30 PM
ZPG Zealot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
And you could practice your faith in a catholic church where they didn't have to hear all the talk about Priest's molesting kids. They didn't do that back then. Because Priests had bonds of honor, trust, strength and faith!




The good old days weren't nearly as good as some people remember.
And only in some places could you safely practice Roman Catholic Christianity. Heard of the "Know Nothings"? The first nasty, anti-immigrant campaigns were against Irish Catholics.
  #59  
Old 11-27-2019, 12:36 PM
Ukulele Ike is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 17,864
Which one of these Savages was the Savage in Brave New World?
__________________
Uke
  #60  
Old 11-27-2019, 12:55 PM
Typo Negative's Avatar
Typo Negative is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 7th Level of Hell, Ca
Posts: 18,097
He was great in The Deer Hunter.
__________________
"Just love everybody. I'll sort 'em out later"

-God
  #61  
Old 11-27-2019, 12:56 PM
drad dog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 6,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees 1996 Champs View Post
Has anyone listen to The Savage Nation, a rightwing talk radio show, hosted by nationalist Michael Savage since 1994.

Savage is one of the most listened to talk show hosts in America, which has vaulted him to the Talk Radio Hall of Fame.

I don't care for his Trump approval, but he is very intelligent. He has a master's collegiate degree in medical botany and anthropology at the University of Hawaii and a Ph.D. in nutritional botany from the University of California, Berkley.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Savage
trump approval is a real rubicon for intelligence.

What is it about his trump approval that is out of character for the rest of the presentation?
  #62  
Old 11-27-2019, 01:11 PM
SteveG1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Van Nuys CA
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees 1996 Champs View Post
Has anyone listen to The Savage Nation, a rightwing talk radio show, hosted by nationalist Michael Savage since 1994.

Savage is one of the most listened to talk show hosts in America, which has vaulted him to the Talk Radio Hall of Fame.

I don't care for his Trump approval, but he is very intelligent. He has a master's collegiate degree in medical botany and anthropology at the University of Hawaii and a Ph.D. in nutritional botany from the University of California, Berkley.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Savage
Savage is a fear mongering, lying, extremist piece of shit. I don't give a fuck what degrees he has or doesn't have.
Besides, so what if he has fancy degrees in plant science of all things? I'm not impressed.
  #63  
Old 11-27-2019, 01:13 PM
SteveG1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Van Nuys CA
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees 1996 Champs View Post
... America is losing social cohesion of community.

America has a social issue.
Uh huh. Meaning we took their "fuck your feelings" and gave it right back to the fuckers.

Social cohesion. WTF is that anyway.
  #64  
Old 11-27-2019, 01:14 PM
SteveG1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Van Nuys CA
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowmanyclouds View Post
"Social cohesion of community" . . . what the fuck is that, and when did America have more of it???

CMC fnord!
Yeah. What IS that.
  #65  
Old 11-27-2019, 01:15 PM
SteveG1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Van Nuys CA
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees 1996 Champs View Post
Michael Moore, Cenk Ugyr whips up fellow progressives to hate people as well. Both sides have their crackpots.
and here... we... go...


That tired ass "both sides" shit.
  #66  
Old 11-27-2019, 01:18 PM
SteveG1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Van Nuys CA
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees 1996 Champs View Post
A sense of belonging.

A sense that Americans have a bond of honor, trust, strength, faith.

Those things have been lost since the 1990s.
Bullshit.

I don't trust liars and crooks and flag waving traitors. I don't trust the far "alt" right (nazis). I don't honor people who piss on me and tell me it's raining. And I don't see strength in an administration of back biters, bullies, liars, cowards, thieves, and draft dodging war mongers.
  #67  
Old 11-27-2019, 01:21 PM
Vinyl Turnip is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 20,458
Remember when America had social cohesion of community? Collective Farm of Pepperidge is remembering!

Last edited by Vinyl Turnip; 11-27-2019 at 01:21 PM.
  #68  
Old 11-27-2019, 01:22 PM
SteveG1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Van Nuys CA
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
As a native-born Mainer, I can say: this is exactly what I expect out of a Yankees fan.
As a Mets fan, I concur.
  #69  
Old 11-27-2019, 01:24 PM
SteveG1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Van Nuys CA
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
The people who bemoan the lack of a bond of honor, trust, strength, faith are trying to subvert Democracy in Kentucky.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...of-power-grabs
It's a corrupt and antiAmerican power grab. It's gotten BAD when they don't even bother to hide it anymore.
  #70  
Old 11-27-2019, 01:27 PM
SteveG1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Van Nuys CA
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPG Zealot View Post
And only in some places could you safely practice Roman Catholic Christianity. Heard of the "Know Nothings"? The first nasty, anti-immigrant campaigns were against Irish Catholics.
Uh huh. Many (most???) of the worst and most horrifying persecutions were committed BY the Church.

And that fairy tale about total and constant persecution in Rome forcing them to hid in Catacombs??? Pure bullshit. "Pagan" Rome by and large didn't give a damn what god or gods you prayed to.
  #71  
Old 11-27-2019, 01:28 PM
SteveG1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Van Nuys CA
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Remember when America had social cohesion of community? Collective Farm of Pepperidge is remembering!
... member berries ...
  #72  
Old 11-27-2019, 01:53 PM
jz78817 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Under Oveur & over Unger
Posts: 12,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees 1996 Champs View Post
A sense of belonging.

A sense that Americans have a bond of honor, trust, strength, faith.

Those things have been lost since the 1990s.
well what do you expect when the people who support our President think it's okay to advocate for the murder of their fellow citizens for the heinous crime of having a different political viewpoint?
  #73  
Old 11-27-2019, 02:48 PM
Typo Negative's Avatar
Typo Negative is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 7th Level of Hell, Ca
Posts: 18,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
Yeah. What IS that.
"Social cohesion of community" is when one segment of the community gets to dominate the others. And when they can't dominate them, the feel that the bond of honor, trust, strength, faith is broken.
__________________
"Just love everybody. I'll sort 'em out later"

-God
  #74  
Old 11-27-2019, 02:55 PM
Typo Negative's Avatar
Typo Negative is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 7th Level of Hell, Ca
Posts: 18,097
The people who bemoan the lack of a bond of honor, trust, strength, faith are threatening violence against anyone who defeats them in election.
__________________
"Just love everybody. I'll sort 'em out later"

-God
  #75  
Old 11-27-2019, 03:02 PM
thorny locust's Avatar
thorny locust is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 1,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
Yeah. What IS that.
There probably is such a thing, as in, say, if most of the neighbors will turn out to help clean up after the fire and put the burned-out up for a while, without stopping to ask whether the people who had the fire are of their religion, group heritage, or political opinions. (And in that sense, at any given time some neighborhoods have it, others don't; and the country as a whole has never either been perfect about it, or lacked it entirely; though the overall balance does vary from time to time.)

But what most people seem to mean by a lack of social cohesion is 'I've discovered that a lot of people disagree with me and they keep saying so out loud!'
  #76  
Old 11-27-2019, 03:36 PM
Yankees 1996 Champs is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
Lets talk about that bond of honor, trust, strength, faith.

You are either not from these parts or willfully ignorant.

Back in the bygone days when we had a bond of honor, trust, strength, faith, it was OK for cops to belong to the KKK. Lynching was OK. Blacks having to go to separate schools, use different bathrooms, use different water fountains...that was OK.

Not as OK as the bygone days of bonds of honor, trust, strength and faith when the blacks could be sold as property and savagely beaten or killed if they misbehaved. You ever hear of Emmett Till? But the conservatives eventially had to make allowances. They could still have a world where gays had to hide for fear of being beaten of killed and have the cops not care so much, so long as it wasn't on the front page. Because if gays complained to the cops, they would arrested. Ya know, for doing gay-stuff. (it was illegal!) They could have a world where non-white, non-Christian and non-heterosexuals could be treated as second class citizens.

And women, barefoot and pregnant. Or, if in the workplace, OK to ogled, pawed at, harassed and told they could only keep their jobs by sucking the boss's cock and get fired if they complained. All while working for less than a man would get. Woman were to be subservient. The office place was a bastion white men, Christian and Straight! It was good, because they a bond of honor, trust, strength, faith!

And you could practice your faith in a catholic church where they didn't have to hear all the talk about Priest's molesting kids. They didn't do that back then. Because Priests had bonds of honor, trust, strength and faith!




The good old days weren't nearly as good as some people remember.

Race has nothing to do with this. Stop projecting, because race has nothing to do with my point about social cohesion and valor.

What Savage has a point on is that people don't have respect for people who put their life on the line for America. They don't have to serve in America's wars. But they get dragged on and disrespected, and it usually comes from the left of the political spectrum than the right or center. That is what I can say. And I am a middle of the roader.
  #77  
Old 11-27-2019, 03:51 PM
Yankees 1996 Champs is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
well what do you expect when the people who support our President think it's okay to advocate for the murder of their fellow citizens for the heinous crime of having a different political viewpoint?
He is not the only president or party that does that. The Democratic Party isn't saints of any measure. Reagan, Bushes and their supporters all got threats and so for being a member of their respective parties.

Let's remember, before September 11, 2001, in the summer of 2001, Bush was called every name in the book.

Let's not go there.
  #78  
Old 11-27-2019, 03:59 PM
Airbeck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Chicago - South Side
Posts: 3,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees 1996 Champs View Post
Race has nothing to do with this. Stop projecting, because race has nothing to do with my point about social cohesion and valor.

What Savage has a point on is that people don't have respect for people who put their life on the line for America. They don't have to serve in America's wars. But they get dragged on and disrespected, and it usually comes from the left of the political spectrum than the right or center. That is what I can say. And I am a middle of the roader.
Trump and the Right has been deporting active duty soldiers that were promised citizenship in exchange for service. He just pardoned a war criminal who had every single member of his unit testify against him and now wants him at his campaign rallies. This idea that the left doesn't support the military and the right does is complete bullshit. You should be ashamed for spreading it.
__________________
"Sometimes I think that the surest sign of intelligent life in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin and Hobbes
  #79  
Old 11-27-2019, 04:03 PM
Kimstu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 23,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees 1996 Champs View Post
What Savage has a point on is that people don't have respect for people who put their life on the line for America. They don't have to serve in America's wars. But they get dragged on and disrespected, and it usually comes from the left of the political spectrum than the right or center.
Nonsense. The real disrespect for the military these days is coming from the right wing, especially its highest echelons, where military disciplinary measures for war criminals are disregarded, military advisors to the administration (as well as any other military people who say anything the administration doesn't want to hear) get publicly insulted and/or fired, and stupid-ass foreign "policy" ideas are acted upon with complete indifference to military objectives and priorities. And conservative supporters of the administration eagerly lap it all up.

Oh, and there's also that business of ignoring and denying climate change, a grave threat that the military is taking very seriously with very little support from the right-wing grifters and ignoramuses who try to pretend the whole phenomenon is some kind of liberal hoax.

Your ideas, and the 77-year-old Michael Savage's ideas, about left-wing "disrespect" for American servicepeople are antiquated anachronisms handed down from fifty-year-old stereotypes of long-haired hippies spitting at Vietnam vets. The people who are genuinely "dragging on" the military are the conservative ideologues who interfere with the military doing their jobs and then accuse them of being "Deep State" traitors when they complain.


The idea that Michael Savage can support Trump while simultaneously whining that America is not being sufficiently appreciative of "people who put their life on the line" for her merely showcases once again Savage's spectacular levels of hypocrisy. Or perhaps just plain stupidity, but no, you claim he's a very intelligent person so I guess that can't be it.

ETA: ninja'd by Airbeck but consider it supplementary corroboration.

Last edited by Kimstu; 11-27-2019 at 04:05 PM.
  #80  
Old 11-27-2019, 04:05 PM
Procrustus is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pacific NW. •
Posts: 12,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbeck View Post
You should be ashamed for spreading it.
A guy has to make a living somehow.
  #81  
Old 11-27-2019, 04:18 PM
Typo Negative's Avatar
Typo Negative is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 7th Level of Hell, Ca
Posts: 18,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees 1996 Champs View Post
Race has nothing to do with this. Stop projecting, because race has nothing to do with my point about social cohesion and valor.
Stop obfuscating. Race has a lot to do with it. To state otherwise is to be willfully ignorant.

Quote:
What Savage has a point on is that people don't have respect for people who put their life on the line for America.
This is a blatant lie.

Have you not seen the links to reputable sites that show that conservatives have threatened liberals (not politicians, but liberals in general) with violence? The liberals have not backed down. We ARE willing to put our lives on the line for America.


You think conservatives show respect for people putting their lives on the line? Not if they have brown skin. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/25/u...t-veteran.html

Trump, Savage's hero, is still insulting McCain, a man who put his life on the line for America.

Quote:
They don't have to serve in America's wars
In bygone days, as now, the people who fight in the wars are usually the poor and minorities. And when they get out?

President Trump’s Budget Hurts Veterans Through Extreme Cuts to Crucial Programs

The people who bemoan the lack of a bond of honor, trust, strength, faith keep wanting cut funding for everything that the returning vets need.

Savage's views on Vets with PTSD?
Quote:
On October 14, 2014, Savage criticized veteran sufferers of posttraumatic stress disorder, accusing them of "weakness". According to Savage, "Everyone has depression in their life. But if the whole nation is told, 'boo-hoo-hoo, come and get a medication, come and get treatment, talk about mental illness.' You know what you wind up with? You wind up with Obama in the White House and liars in every phase of the government. That's what you wind up with. It's a weak, sick, nation. A weak, sick, broken nation. And you need men like me to save the country. You need men to stand up and say stop crying like a baby over everything ... No wonder we're being laughed at around the world. No wonder ISIS can defeat our military."
Yeah, THAT is showing respect for people who put their lives on the line for America.

And when did Savage put HIS life on the line for America?
__________________
"Just love everybody. I'll sort 'em out later"

-God

Last edited by Typo Negative; 11-27-2019 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Carp, Ninja's by like six different posters
  #82  
Old 11-27-2019, 04:26 PM
Yankees 1996 Champs is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
Nonsense. The real disrespect for the military these days is coming from the right wing, especially its highest echelons, where military disciplinary measures for war criminals are disregarded, military advisors to the administration (as well as any other military people who say anything the administration doesn't want to hear) get publicly insulted and/or fired, and stupid-ass foreign "policy" ideas are acted upon with complete indifference to military objectives and priorities. And conservative supporters of the administration eagerly lap it all up.

Oh, and there's also that business of ignoring and denying climate change, a grave threat that the military is taking very seriously with very little support from the right-wing grifters and ignoramuses who try to pretend the whole phenomenon is some kind of liberal hoax.

Your ideas, and the 77-year-old Michael Savage's ideas, about left-wing "disrespect" for American servicepeople are antiquated anachronisms handed down from fifty-year-old stereotypes of long-haired hippies spitting at Vietnam vets. The people who are genuinely "dragging on" the military are the conservative ideologues who interfere with the military doing their jobs and then accuse them of being "Deep State" traitors when they complain.


The idea that Michael Savage can support Trump while simultaneously whining that America is not being sufficiently appreciative of "people who put their life on the line" for her merely showcases once again Savage's spectacular levels of hypocrisy. Or perhaps just plain stupidity, but no, you claim he's a very intelligent person so I guess that can't be it.

ETA: ninja'd by Airbeck but consider it supplementary corroboration.
That's Savage's problem, not mine. Savage is a talk show host.

I listen to him to hear a different point of view. I disagree with the left on a lot of issues, I disagree with the right on a lot of issues, and I have a mix of views. I am a middle of the roader.
  #83  
Old 11-27-2019, 04:43 PM
Chisquirrel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees 1996 Champs View Post
What Savage has a point on is that people don't have respect for people who put their life on the line for America. They don't have to serve in America's wars. But they get dragged on and disrespected, and it usually comes from the left of the political spectrum than the right or center. That is what I can say. And I am a middle of the roader.
And there it is. Only "the right" respects the troops.

As a veteran, like many here, I'd like to say, "Fuck yourself with a cactus."

When Republicans elected a man that publicly and repeatedly shat on American heroes, they lost all claim to the "valor" party.
  #84  
Old 11-27-2019, 04:45 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is online now
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 63,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees 1996 Champs View Post
That's Savage's problem, not mine. Savage is a talk show host.

I listen to him to hear a different point of view. I disagree with the left on a lot of issues, I disagree with the right on a lot of issues, and I have a mix of views. I am a middle of the roader.
You are a lying sack of shit.
  #85  
Old 11-27-2019, 04:49 PM
Jackmannii's Avatar
Jackmannii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: the extreme center
Posts: 32,450
Michael Savage is still ranting over the airwaves?

Years ago I caught his act on nighttime radio and found him to be an obnoxious jackass. I don't recall him expounding on homeopathy, which would have been the icing on the shit-cake.

*like antivax nuttery, endorsement of homeopathy is one of those woo fetishes that transcends political ideology. Find it easy to believe that the Medical Establishment, researchers, public health agencies and Big Pharma are all plotting to deny you (and themselves) the benefits of magic water? Then homeopathy makes lots of sense.
  #86  
Old 11-27-2019, 04:51 PM
Yankees 1996 Champs is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
Stop obfuscating. Race has a lot to do with it. To state otherwise is to be willfully ignorant.



This is a blatant lie.

Have you not seen the links to reputable sites that show that conservatives have threatened liberals (not politicians, but liberals in general) with violence? The liberals have not backed down. We ARE willing to put our lives on the line for America.


You think conservatives show respect for people putting their lives on the line? Not if they have brown skin. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/25/u...t-veteran.html

Trump, Savage's hero, is still insulting McCain, a man who put his life on the line for America.

In bygone days, as now, the people who fight in the wars are usually the poor and minorities. And when they get out?

President Trumpís Budget Hurts Veterans Through Extreme Cuts to Crucial Programs

The people who bemoan the lack of a bond of honor, trust, strength, faith keep wanting cut funding for everything that the returning vets need.

Savage's views on Vets with PTSD?


Yeah, THAT is showing respect for people who put their lives on the line for America.

And when did Savage put HIS life on the line for America?

He is a commentator and author.
  #87  
Old 11-27-2019, 05:46 PM
Fiveroptic's Avatar
Fiveroptic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Clinton County, MI USA
Posts: 679
Oh, I get it, this is about that asshole Navy SEAL that Trump decided should not have to be held to Navy standards, right? Because "liberals" are angry that Trump, a man who knows NOTHING about anything related to every-day military matters, decided he knows better how to maintain discipline than his own commanders. That's it, right? And Savage and his callers were probably bitching about people who "forget" that Trump is the Commander in Chief, right? Even though they know exactly what the ire is about.

Just come out and say it.
  #88  
Old 11-27-2019, 05:46 PM
kaylasdad99 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 32,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees 1996 Champs View Post
That's Savage's problem, not mine. Savage is a talk show host.

I listen to him to hear a different point of view. I disagree with the left on a lot of issues, I disagree with the right on a lot of issues, and I have a mix of views. I am a middle of the roader.
I suspect that particular road is the Trans-Siberian Highway, as it passes through Novosibirsk...

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 11-27-2019 at 05:47 PM.
  #89  
Old 11-27-2019, 06:04 PM
Knowed Out's Avatar
Knowed Out is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Kakkalakee
Posts: 15,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees 1996 Champs View Post
That's Savage's problem, not mine. Savage is a talk show host.

I listen to him to hear a different point of view. I disagree with the left on a lot of issues, I disagree with the right on a lot of issues, and I have a mix of views. I am a middle of the roader.
So you keep saying, but not with much conviction. You're obviously in love with this guy, but keep attempting to fake it with your "middle of the roader" bollocks.
  #90  
Old 11-27-2019, 06:17 PM
Kimstu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 23,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees 1996 Champs View Post
That's Savage's problem, not mine.
Well, you made it your problem when you decided to praise his hypocritical and ill-informed blatherings as though they made any kind of sense.

The fact that Savage is a peddler of hypocritical nonsense is Savage's problem, but the fact that you're buying his hypocritical nonsense is yours.
  #91  
Old 11-27-2019, 06:37 PM
don't mind me is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: somewhere over there
Posts: 1,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees 1996 Champs View Post
Race has nothing to do with this. Stop projecting, because race has nothing to do with my point about social cohesion and valor.
Lost your dog whistle decoder ring? When the right talks about "social cohesion," they mean "straight White cohesion in the middle class, and minority cohesion in ghettos."
Quote:
What Savage has a point on is that people don't have respect for people who put their life on the line for America. They don't have to serve in America's wars. But they get dragged on and disrespected, and it usually comes from the left of the political spectrum than the right or center. That is what I can say. And I am a middle of the roader.
Yeah, shame on all those libs talking smack about the decorated war veteran who did his duty and testified publicly to Congress, despite unlawful instructions not to. And accusing him of being a double agent after he declared his faith that "here, right matters."
  #92  
Old 11-27-2019, 07:41 PM
Guinastasia's Avatar
Guinastasia is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 52,990
Well, as you've decided to sing the guy's praise, it is INDEED your problem now. You're not just listening to him "for a different point of view", obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees 1996 Champs View Post
Race has nothing to do with this. Stop projecting, because race has nothing to do with my point about social cohesion and valor.

What Savage has a point on is that people don't have respect for people who put their life on the line for America. They don't have to serve in America's wars. But they get dragged on and disrespected, and it usually comes from the left of the political spectrum than the right or center. That is what I can say. And I am a middle of the roader.
Want to see Savage's idea of "respect" for those who serve?

Quote:
"Everyone has depression in their life. But if the whole nation is told, 'boo-hoo-hoo, come and get a medication, come and get treatment, talk about mental illness.' You know what you wind up with? You wind up with Obama in the White House and liars in every phase of the government. That's what you wind up with. It's a weak, sick, nation. A weak, sick, broken nation. And you need men like me to save the country. You need men to stand up and say stop crying like a baby over everything ... No wonder we're being laughed at around the world. No wonder ISIS can defeat our military."
And note, I chose The Washington Times, not exactly a leftist-friendly publication.


Fuck him, and fuck those who support him. I've got veterans in my family and although I don't know if they suffer from PTSD or not, I'd take issue with ANYONE who implied they were a bunch of weak crybabies. If thats how he feels, then why the fuck doesn't he sign up?
  #93  
Old 11-27-2019, 08:59 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 36,119
Savage is an ignorant, rage-addicted bigot.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 11-27-2019 at 09:00 PM.
  #94  
Old 11-27-2019, 09:42 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
I suspect that particular road is the Trans-Siberian Highway, as it passes through Novosibirsk...
"Michael Savage topic real winner! American dupes now at throats of others over race and military! Have no idea of clever maneuvers to create conflict and bile! Completely fooled by excellent English-language use and protestations of 'middle of road'!"
  #95  
Old 11-28-2019, 12:22 AM
margin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
Nonsense. The real disrespect for the military these days is coming from the right wing, especially its highest echelons, where military disciplinary measures for war criminals are disregarded, military advisors to the administration (as well as any other military people who say anything the administration doesn't want to hear) get publicly insulted and/or fired, and stupid-ass foreign "policy" ideas are acted upon with complete indifference to military objectives and priorities. And conservative supporters of the administration eagerly lap it all up.

Oh, and there's also that business of ignoring and denying climate change, a grave threat that the military is taking very seriously with very little support from the right-wing grifters and ignoramuses who try to pretend the whole phenomenon is some kind of liberal hoax.

Your ideas, and the 77-year-old Michael Savage's ideas, about left-wing "disrespect" for American servicepeople are antiquated anachronisms handed down from fifty-year-old stereotypes of long-haired hippies spitting at Vietnam vets. The people who are genuinely "dragging on" the military are the conservative ideologues who interfere with the military doing their jobs and then accuse them of being "Deep State" traitors when they complain.


The idea that Michael Savage can support Trump while simultaneously whining that America is not being sufficiently appreciative of "people who put their life on the line" for her merely showcases once again Savage's spectacular levels of hypocrisy. Or perhaps just plain stupidity, but no, you claim he's a very intelligent person so I guess that can't be it.

ETA: ninja'd by Airbeck but consider it supplementary corroboration.
People like to forget that a lot Viet Nam vets came home and joined the anti-war movement.
__________________
They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.
  #96  
Old 11-28-2019, 01:15 AM
Der Trihs's Avatar
Der Trihs is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: California
Posts: 38,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees 1996 Champs View Post
Race has nothing to do with this. Stop projecting, because race has nothing to do with my point about social cohesion and valor.
Supporting the right wing is supporting white supremacism, which has everything to do with race. The only "social cohesion" the right cares about is tyranny and death, and the only "valor" they care about the the "valor" of massacring the innocent.
  #97  
Old 11-28-2019, 05:29 AM
septimus's Avatar
septimus is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Land of Smiles
Posts: 20,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees 1996 Champs View Post
I think Savage is rude and nuts, but he makes good points about society. America is losing social cohesion of community.

America has a social issue.
Tell me if I have this straight.
* Savage is a Trump-licker, but you aren't. (You voted for Gary Johnson ó what do I win?)
* Savage is rude and nuts, but you listen to his talk show anyway.
* Among all the lies, gibberish, and Trump-licking, Savage came up with one right-wing talking point that you think has merit.

Did I get that right? Good. Now please answer the following question before we move on:

Why not mention the right-wing idea itself, or even put it up for debate. Why instead make a thread about Savage?

If I had to guess I'd go with:
"Right-wing bloviating dolts often come up with right-wing talking points that I think have merit. Therefore they are NOT bloviating dolts, they're GENIUSES. You libtard dolts are listening to the wrong talk shows!!!"
What do I win?
  #98  
Old 11-28-2019, 06:55 AM
kambuckta is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Great Barrier Reef, wooo
Posts: 10,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Tell me if I have this straight.
* Savage is a Trump-licker, but you aren't.

If I had to guess I'd go with:
"Right-wing bloviating dolts often come up with right-wing talking points that I think have merit. Therefore they are NOT bloviating dolts, they're GENIUSES. You libtard dolts are listening to the wrong talk shows!!!"
What do I win?
A puppy, homeopathically immunised against parvo and rabies.
  #99  
Old 11-28-2019, 07:35 AM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 26,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
Lets talk about that bond of honor, trust, strength, faith.
Can we talk about how it probably sounds better in the original German?

Always worry when people start talking about honor.

Last edited by MrDibble; 11-28-2019 at 07:39 AM.
  #100  
Old 11-28-2019, 08:08 AM
Jack Batty's Avatar
Jack Batty is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: The Astral Plane.
Posts: 15,641
I've heard him a few times up here in New England. Smart guy? I don't know if I'd go that far. Smart enough to keep a bigoted radio show running for all that time I guess. The one thing I remember from this asshole is that he had a feature where he'd open the police blotter and read all the entries with Hispanic sounding names with no further commentary. Just here's a list of potential Hispanic criminals for us all to feel superior to. The guys a douche.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017