Old 11-28-2019, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
You are a lying sack of shit.
This would be a step up. In my experience as a pet owner, sacks of shit, once discarded, tend to stay gone. They don't claim to be scentless enthusiasts of a broad range of aromas from the sweetest perfumes to the most vile stenches, nor claim to have innocently stumbled upon a rotting whale carcass that they found interesting and are curious about how we think it smells. Finally, their command of English is comparable if not superior.

ADVANTAGE: Sack-o'-Shit
Old 11-28-2019, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

I rise to defend sacks o' shit. When I was younger and more foolish, I spent some months as a garbageman, working a University neighborhood, hipper than Hell. Lots of cats. Cat litter, dumped thoughtlessly into the oil drums provided for waste management. In the rainy summer of Baja Canada. The warm and rainy summer. A riotous, noisome celebration of amino acids. I will not describe, my powers are too feeble and I don't hate you.

I tried subtle, leaving behind plastic bags, with a note. Marginal success, at best. Escalate, its the American Way!

Walked into the SDS house while they gathered for breakfast. "Today, I'm the proletariat, I work for you. Usually, I'm an arrogant elitist snot, but today - proletariat. In the name of Eugene V. Debs, I implore you, put the goddam fucking cat litter in a plastic bag!"

Fuzzy, the woman with the Q-tip hairdo opiined "Plastic bags aren't biodegradable."
"Yeah, but you are, so don't press your luck!"

But I saw plastic sacks o shit that gladdened my day, warmed my heart. Steve and Frannie, Joan, Laura (who had six!) and the guys at the VVAW house.....May the Goddess bless you and keep you safe next to Her bountiful bosom, all the days of your life, aperson.,,,,

Last edited by elucidator; 11-28-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-28-2019, 03:19 PM

Nm

Last edited by Thing Fish; 11-28-2019 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-28-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
I've heard him a few times up here in New England. Smart guy? I don't know if I'd go that far. Smart enough to keep a bigoted radio show running for all that time I guess. The one thing I remember from this asshole is that he had a feature where he'd open the police blotter and read all the entries with Hispanic sounding names with no further commentary. Just here's a list of potential Hispanic criminals for us all to feel superior to. The guys a douche.
But remember, race has nothing to do with it! He’s a commentator! Honor!
Old 11-28-2019, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
I rise to defend sacks o' shit. When I was younger and more foolish, I spent some months as a garbageman, working a University neighborhood, hipper than Hell. Lots of cats. Cat litter, dumped thoughtlessly into the oil drums provided for waste management. In the rainy summer of Baja Canada. The warm and rainy summer. A riotous, noisome celebration of amino acids. I will not describe, my powers are too feeble and I don't hate you.

I tried subtle, leaving behind plastic bags, with a note. Marginal success, at best. Escalate, its the American Way!

Walked into the SDS house while they gathered for breakfast. "Today, I'm the proletariat, I work for you. Usually, I'm an arrogant elitist snot, but today - proletariat. In the name of Eugene V. Debs, I implore you, put the goddam fucking cat litter in a plastic bag!"

Fuzzy, the woman with the Q-tip hairdo opiined "Plastic bags aren't biodegradable."
"Yeah, but you are, so don't press your luck!"

But I saw plastic sacks o shit that gladdened my day, warmed my heart. Steve and Frannie, Joan, Laura (who had six!) and the guys at the VVAW house.....May the Goddess bless you and keep you safe next to Her bountiful bosom, all the days of your life, aperson.,,,,
The quintessential Doper anecdote. Master Wang-Ka, terrifel, Scylla, (and others too numerous to look up mention, those are footsteps you’re hearing behind y’all...
Old 11-28-2019, 04:06 PM

‘I’m A Moderate,’ Says Racist Democrat
Old 11-28-2019, 06:18 PM

That’s pretty good. I especially like the last line “The real racist here is you, for calling me a racist!”. Yep, sounds familiar.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:07 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees 1996 Champs View Post
I don't care for his Trump approval, but he is very intelligent. He has a master's collegiate degree in medical botany and anthropology at the University of Hawaii and a Ph.D. in nutritional botany from the University of California, Berkley.
My wife has two master's degrees (including one from the U of Hawaii) and a Ph.D., and she thinks Savage and his ilk are idiots.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:04 PM

Hell, those 9/11 Truthers keep pointing to that list of PhDs (none Civil Engineers, of course) that "question" the NIST report.

Degrees, especially degrees unrelated to the discussion at hand, don't say squat about the holder's intelligence.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Antibob View Post
Hell, those 9/11 Truthers keep pointing to that list of PhDs (none Civil Engineers, of course) that "question" the NIST report.

Degrees, especially degrees unrelated to the discussion at hand, don't say squat about the holder's intelligence.
let's not forget the in-depth analysis done by the noted civil engineer and architect Rosie O'Donnell.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:39 PM

Well, I give Yankees some credit. At least he’s not such a ball-less wonder as to avoid posting in the Pit.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty
The one thing I remember from this asshole is that he had a feature where he'd open the police blotter and read all the entries with Hispanic sounding names with no further commentary. Just here's a list of potential Hispanic criminals for us all to feel superior to.
Gosh, how socially cohesive of him.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:53 PM

There was a time when I was a lot younger and listened uncritically to a ton of conservative talk radio. But even back then I couldn’t stand Michael Savage and his constant, hateful bile.

A lot of conservative talk show hosts can be funny, witty at times, even charming. (That’s how many of them get listeners in the first place to “convert” them.) If you ignore the politics at least (yeah, next to impossible, I know). But not Savage Nation. Basically think of every stereotype that the left has about conservative talk radio which is largely exaggerated... Then triple it. He’s that bad.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
The one thing I remember from this asshole is that he had a feature where he'd open the police blotter and read all the entries with Hispanic sounding names with no further commentary. Just here's a list of potential Hispanic criminals for us all to feel superior to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
Gosh, how socially cohesive of him.
God dammit, where’s the fucking “Like” button?
Old 11-29-2019, 12:33 PM

Here's a thread about Michael Savage from 10 years ago.

Here's what I posted in it:

Quote:
I used to listen to Michael Savage back in the bay area before he was nationally syndicated. I never agreed with him at all, in the slightest, but I listened because I wanted to see what the other side thought.

Back then, he seemed to be a lot closer to someone who was basically reasonable, but who I strongly disagreed with, and he had a somewhat grandfatherly tone which I found honestly appealing. He also still talked some about herbal remedies and other stuff like that, clearly a carryover from his previous life. But as he got more and more popular, he became more and more aware of his own popularity, and more and more convinced that he was some kind of lone voice of truth who would go down in the history books as the savior of America, yada yada yada - and he got more and more extreme, etc. Now, as others have pointed out, he's worse even than Ann Coulter.
I think he definitely suffered from a feedback cycle of extreme idiocy... he would say things that pushed the boundaries of what he really believed or took seriously, and the audience would cheer him on, and then he'd start to believe what he had just said, and believe the hype about himself, so then he'd push what he was saying to a little bit more extreme, lather, rinse, repeat.
Old 11-29-2019, 12:37 PM

Here's a thread I started about him 15 years ago. Still accurate and timely, other than the references to John Kerry. (Remember John Kerry?)
Old 11-29-2019, 12:37 PM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTheVool View Post
I think he definitely suffered from a feedback cycle of extreme idiocy... he would say things that pushed the boundaries of what he really believed or took seriously, and the audience would cheer him on, and then he'd start to believe what he had just said, and believe the hype about himself, so then he'd push what he was saying to a little bit more extreme, lather, rinse, repeat.
Apparently, repeated washing while constantly in hot water causes brain shrinkage.
Old 11-29-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTheVool View Post
Here's a thread I started about him 15 years ago. Still accurate and timely, other than the references to John Kerry. (Remember John Kerry?)
The guy whose HONOR was questioned (blatantly lied about)?

Last edited by Chisquirrel; 11-29-2019 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Changed a nut
Old 11-29-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
The real disrespect for the military these days is coming from the right wing, especially its highest echelons, where military disciplinary measures for war criminals are disregarded, military advisors to the administration (as well as any other military people who say anything the administration doesn't want to hear) get publicly insulted and/or fired, and stupid-ass foreign "policy" ideas are acted upon with complete indifference to military objectives and priorities.
There's considerable truth to these observations.

On the other hand, repeatedly voiced disgust with the idea of honoring military veterans' service and disdaining support for the military in general is a feature (excuse me, a bug) of many leftists (ranting about attention given to vets is a continual refrain on this board).
Quote:
..ideas, about left-wing "disrespect" for American servicepeople are antiquated anachronisms handed down from fifty-year-old stereotypes of long-haired hippies spitting at Vietnam vets.
Rather than a "stereotype", the thing about hippies spitting at Vietnam vets falls entirely (or almost entirely) into the realm of urban legend.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
...(ranting about attention given to vets is a continual refrain on this board) ...
I've been here quite a few years and read widely in various sub-forums. But I don't recall ever seeing what you claim, here.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:18 AM

He's still around? I think I last heard him on the radio around 2002. He was on a local AM talk station that had Oreilly, Hannity, and Michael Reagan. I know he wrote some popular books and like a lot of the right (and former supposed liberals who turned hawk and anti-Muslim), went much more extreme after 9/11. I suppose it makes sense that he's popular in the Trump era since he was popular back when rightwing/GOP sort of abandoned any of the limited government philosophy in favor of warmongering and racism.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:31 AM

Sherrerd, there was at least one poster known for it, but he wasn't representative of the majority of liberals. IIRC he finally got run off.
Old 11-30-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Turbo View Post
I am a damn moderate because the far left and far right sicken me.

The far left likes to bully those who will not submit to their viewpoint.

Leftists don't own the world.

I am a moderate.

I listen to Savage to hear a different viewpoint.

I don't agree with all of his views, but he has the right to speak. This is America.

I was busy over Thanksgiving; not a lot of guests, a small dinner, and a busy Friday cleaning and exercising.
Old 11-30-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:

I am a moderate.

you are a liar.

your use of the word "leftists" is evidence of that.
Old 11-30-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actualliberalnotoneofthose View Post
He's still around? I think I last heard him on the radio around 2002. He was on a local AM talk station that had Oreilly, Hannity, and Michael Reagan. I know he wrote some popular books and like a lot of the right (and former supposed liberals who turned hawk and anti-Muslim), went much more extreme after 9/11. I suppose it makes sense that he's popular in the Trump era since he was popular back when rightwing/GOP sort of abandoned any of the limited government philosophy in favor of warmongering and racism.

True.

He is a economic nationalist, not a white nationalist. He is a Jewish conservative.
Old 11-30-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
you are a liar.

your use of the word "leftists" is evidence of that.

I use rightists as well.

Those are the terms.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:

Yeah if only they were paragons of fairness and reason like those, um, rightists.

Quote:
I don't agree with all of his views...
Or with any of them?
I must have been asleep, couldn't see any in this thread.

Quote:
He is a economic nationalist, not a white nationalist. He is a Jewish conservative.
Um, he might be actually kinda white nationalist-y:

Quote:
The conspiracy of white genocide contends that there is a deliberate scheme underway to exterminate white people, or white culture, by overwhelming Western populations with non-whites. White supremacists typically accuse Jewish people of engineering this plot. Savage, who is Jewish, blamed Democrats.

“Unless we stand up to the racists and the genocidal maniacs who are attacking, attacking, attacking,” Savage said, “there will be nothing left to protect, there will be nothing left to save. Everything of our culture will be gone.”

The irony of a self-described “student of the Holocaust” deploying a traditionally antisemitic talking point may have been lost on Savage, but it wasn’t lost on Vandal, a racist ex-Marine who, along with his twin brother Vanzetti Vandal, runs a blog advocating that whites return to the “barbarity” of their past and “rape, pillage and plunder” like their ancestors.
Or defending Trump's racism

Quote:
"I was very disappointed in the president attacking white supremacy. He is now saying everyone who is concerned about the illegal alien invasion is a white supremacist? He suddenly has joined who? He's like Jake Tapper now, and the rest on CNN. That was a mistake, Mr. President. I am sorry. That is going to cost you thousands, if not tens of thousands of votes."
From his cherished, dear base, possibly.

Back in 2006:

Quote:
Savage's anti-illegal immigration views and resulting attack on a Catholic church providing assistance to undocumented immigrants forced Bill Donohue, president of the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights, to cancel a scheduled interview on the show in 2006
Quote:
I use rightists as well.
In this thread? Ever?

Righteeo, then.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't agree with all of his views, but he has the right to speak. This is America.
Sure about that? If you look out the window, do you see onion domes?
Old 11-30-2019, 05:12 PM

Does Yankees 1996 Champs remind anyone else of DerekMichaels00, or is it just me?
Old 11-30-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii
...ranting about attention given to vets is a continual refrain on this board
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
I've been here quite a few years and read widely in various sub-forums. But I don't recall ever seeing what you claim, here.
It seems to me we have been averaging about one we-overly-worship-the-military/veterans thread annually in recent years.*

Not that this viewpoint doesn't get pushback, but plenty of Dopers evidently buy into it.**

*a semi-random sampling of gosh-durn-veterans-get-too-much-respect threads that Dopers have started.
**occasionally I've pointed out that trashing the military is a bad political strategy for the Left, but Dopers with angst in their pants on the subject won't acknowledge that.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:46 PM

I'm not a fan of Michael Savages's politics and views on global warming. But a lot of his shows are not political in nature and when he just talks about his childhood as a young Jewish kid growing up in Brooklyn as the son of an immigrant that owns an antique store, it is very entertaining, he is intelligent and a captivating storyteller. He's a really odd person, he was pretty much a huge hippie, friends with Allen Ginsburg and other people from that era and he lives in San Francisco.

Like I said I don't really agree with his politics, at least most of them, but he is very entertaining when talking about other topics, which he often does.

Last edited by pool; 11-30-2019 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Please give your experience being bullied. Not talking about people telling you that you're full of shit or that your views are shit or you listen to people full of shit - but that you are personally attacked.

Not people calling you bad names, but losing your job. Or being told you can't buy a house in a certain neighborhood. Or not being allowed to vote.

Because THAT shit happens today. And it ain't the "leftist" boogeypeople doing it.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
Please give your experience being bullied.
50 Speed*-ante'ed bucks says Steinbrenner Sucks Always, himself, wasn't bullied, but is decrying (but-but'ing) the outrageous left's antifa. Or something.
So bullying.
Rampant.

*The poker player in Odd Couple
Old 11-30-2019, 07:57 PM

Is this English or clever performance art that i cant twist my little brain around?
Old 11-30-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
...On the other hand, repeatedly voiced disgust with the idea of honoring military veterans' service and disdaining support for the military in general is a feature (excuse me, a bug) of many leftists (ranting about attention given to vets is a continual refrain on this board). ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Sherrerd, there was at least one poster known for it, but he wasn't representative of the majority of liberals. IIRC he finally got run off.
Thanks, Irishman, but you'll grant that does seem like a far cry from Jackmannii's claim of "a continual refrain on this board."

Quote:
It seems to me we have been averaging about one we-overly-worship-the-military/veterans thread annually in recent years.*
Not that this viewpoint doesn't get pushback, but plenty of Dopers evidently buy into it.**
*a semi-random sampling of gosh-durn-veterans-get-too-much-respect threads that Dopers have started.
**occasionally I've pointed out that trashing the military is a bad political strategy for the Left, but Dopers with angst in their pants on the subject won't acknowledge that.
Again, an "annual" thread (a claim that in itself seems an overreach) doesn't really constitute "a continual refrain on these boards."

The right has certain article-of-faith claims about what the left supposedly does. Few of them appear to hold up to reasonable scrutiny.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Classic right wing projection. The Right never stops relentlessly bullying everyone, and projects that attitude onto their victims.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Again, an "annual" thread (a claim that in itself seems an overreach) doesn't really constitute "a continual refrain on these boards."
So you've moved on from essentially denying that such views have been expressed here to nitpicking about what "continual refrain" means?

Well alrighty then.

The bottom line is that Dopers who get pissy about attention and respect given to members of the military, past and present are engaging in a dumb and politically self-destructive tactic.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Is this English or clever performance art that i cant twist my little brain around?
A little of the latter, in an obviously Chris Burden-y way, and a little of the former, if you can twist just that eeny bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post
Classic right wing projection. The Right never stops relentlessly bullying everyone, and projects that attitude onto their victims.
Sometimes projecting their attitude like with a certain 2010 Dodge Challenger.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:

I am a moderate.

I listen to Savage to hear a different viewpoint.

I was busy over Thanksgiving; not a lot of guests, a small dinner, and a busy Friday cleaning and exercising.
Fine, you're a moderate, whatever. What do you want, a cookie?

There are "different viewpoints" and then there are "nutjob asshole viewpoints". Savage fits into the latter.

Seriously, I don't give a shit WHAT political side you fall on -- anyone who thinks Savage is worth listening to is a dumbass.

And "right to speak" doesn't mean "right to speak unchallenged". The rest of us can use OUR right to speak to express how we feel about him. And I feel the guy's a jagoff and a crackpot. As are those who listen to him for any other reason than a good laugh.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
I'm not a fan of Michael Savages's politics and views on global warming. But a lot of his shows are not political in nature and when he just talks about his childhood as a young Jewish kid growing up in Brooklyn as the son of an immigrant that owns an antique store, it is very entertaining, he is intelligent and a captivating storyteller. He's a really odd person, he was pretty much a huge hippie, friends with Allen Ginsburg and other people from that era and he lives in San Francisco.

Like I said I don't really agree with his politics, at least most of them, but he is very entertaining when talking about other topics, which he often does.

Exactly. He is very entertaining. That is all I was trying to say before I got jumped here.
Old 11-30-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
Please give your experience being bullied. Not talking about people telling you that you're full of shit or that your views are shit or you listen to people full of shit - but that you are personally attacked.

Not people calling you bad names, but losing your job. Or being told you can't buy a house in a certain neighborhood. Or not being allowed to vote.

Because THAT shit happens today. And it ain't the "leftist" boogeypeople doing it.
No, I am talking about this smug leftism that is turning off a lot of voters.

I am not a rightist.

I am a middle of the roader.
Old 11-30-2019, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
True.

Impossible. Everybody knows, Jews hate to argue.
Old 11-30-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:

I am not a rightist.

So when you claimed that "leftists" bullied those who didn't agree with them, you were, what? Lying? Using stories propagated by "rightists"? Talking out of your ass?

Or are you just acting like a child, throwing a tantrum because "leftists" call you on your shit?
Old 12-01-2019, 01:11 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:

I am not a rightist.

Fucking troll.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:59 AM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Quote:

I am not a rightist.

...on the Highway To Hell.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Ah, the tone argument. If only people stopped complaining about being oppressed, tortured and murdered by bigots, then surely the torturers and murderers would like them!
Old 12-01-2019, 02:39 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Does Yankees 1996 Champs remind anyone else of DerekMichaels00, or is it just me?

Oh, he definitely doesn't remind me of you.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post
Ah, the tone argument. If only people stopped complaining about being oppressed, tortured and murdered by bigots, then surely the torturers and murderers would like them!
Hits like button.

Also, it appears to me that our pinstripe champ is more into his broadcasts about how awful the leftists are and veterans who suffer from PTSD than his stories about his origin from 20 years ago in San Fran as mentioned by pool.

How do you think Limbaugh compares to Savage, Yankees Champs? Do you think Savage's arguments that support Trump's white supremacy are valid? (As pointed out by Guest Starring: Id)
Old 12-01-2019, 03:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by actualliberalnotoneofthose View Post
Quote:
True.

Didn’t you say in the OP that he was intelligent?

Y’know, the Nazis weren’t nazis because they were socialists. They were nazis because they were nationalists. ISTM that someone who misses that fact can’t be called “intelligent” by anyone who honestly expects his assertions to be taken seriously.

An Important Distinction
Old 12-01-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Irishman, but you'll grant that does seem like a far cry from Jackmannii's claim of "a continual refrain on this board."
Quote:
So you've moved on from essentially denying that such views have been expressed here to nitpicking about what "continual refrain" means?
So you've stopped beating your wife?

Your misrepresentation of my posts fails to counter reality. The reality is that a claim was made (by you, as it happens) that "ranting about attention given to vets" was "a continual refrain on this board"; I called that claim false. You posted links to five posts in which, in your view, "ranting about attention given to vets" occurred. I pointed out that this failed to support a claim of "continual" ranting of the sort you alleged.

If you want to attempt to define "continual refrain" as meaning "five posts in the two decades this board has existed (more or less)", then have at it.

Quote:
The bottom line is that Dopers who get pissy about attention and respect given to members of the military, past and present are engaging in a dumb and politically self-destructive tactic.
I agree.

Last edited by Sherrerd; 12-01-2019 at 05:21 PM.