Old 11-29-2019, 12:54 AM

Please don't give me ________ for Christmas

Framed pictures of your kids. I'm not Granny, I'm just an aunt, your kids are OK, but I am not hanging pictures of them in my house, I don't have room and if you give me framed (cheaply framed) photos every year, they go right in the trash.

Jewelry. Ever notice I don't wear jewelry any more? I don't work, I don't dress up. I wear nice studs in my ears to keep them open, but that's it. (Wish I could get my SO to notice this)

Re-gifts. Seriously?? Who the fuck gives someone a full bottle of Peppermint Schnapps?? Ever see me drink schnapps?? Or a little bookbag thing with the name of some company I never heard of on it??

Call me Scrooge, but if you want to give me an Xmas present, please pay attention to who I am? I have liked 1 present in the past 3 years, which was a card letting me know someone had made a donation in my name to one of my charities.

Bah Humbug
Old 11-29-2019, 01:39 AM
Charter Member

Would you have any use for a pair of dummygladgloves?
Old 11-29-2019, 01:48 AM

Clothing of any kind. I'm tactile challenged. I only wear things that feel good to me. I'm sorry if what feels good to me is not what feels good to you. My sisters, who have known me my whole life can't be bothered to notice this. But hey, go ahead and put that gift reciept in there. That gift will be cash the week after Christmas()
Old 11-29-2019, 02:16 AM
Charter Member

Gift cards to the local bookstore. Yes, I love books; but honestly, I have more books than shelves. The gift cards to the bookstore do nothing more than pile up.

An Ikea gift card would be much more useful, as it would let me purchase additional bookshelves.
Old 11-29-2019, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DummyGladHands View Post
.......I have liked 1 present in the past 3 years, which was a card letting me know someone had made a donation in my name to one of my charities.

Bah Humbug
George Costanza:
"He got me a piece of paper saying 'I've given your gift to someone else!' Don't you see how wrong that is?!"

Last edited by Tim R. Mortiss; 11-29-2019 at 02:19 AM.
Old 11-29-2019, 03:02 AM

anything.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:24 AM

Clothes, media (books, DVDs, etc.), gift cards for anything other than Amazon or eBay.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Clothes, mostly. My wife and stepdaughter both try to dress me like a 20-something metrosexual. I'm in my fifties and wear jeans and flannel shirts, dammit! I don't want your slim-cut shirts that I can barely get buttoned, or the skin tight sweater to wear over it. You might as well donate it directly to Goodwill or Salvation Army, 'cuz you're never going to see me wearing it.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

I currently have no restrictions. My standing order when I was little: no dolls, not even those things called "action figures". I have seven sisters and would borrow theirs on the rare occasion when I felt like playing with a doll.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 11-29-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:55 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
anything.
My answer also. I've tried my darndest to get my sibs to quit with gifting. We're all in our 50s and 60s - well beyond needing anything, and since we mostly see each other maybe 4 times a year, we don't really know each other that well any more. Spoil your kids and your grandkids and spare me. Thanks ever so...
Old 11-29-2019, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

It took me years of getting coffee mugs and useless knickknacks to finally convince my kids not to send any more of that crap. I gave a large cardboard box full of mugs and ceramic sea captains (don't ask) to Goodwill about ten years ago.
Old 11-29-2019, 10:23 AM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Clothes: You will never get the right size, let alone the right style.
Gift cards to stores that are not in my area, and this goes double for AMC Cinema cards because the theater chain in my part of the country is Regal.
Puzzles, 2D and 3D.
Old 11-29-2019, 10:27 AM

My mother loves to buy me stuff that I don't like. I try to hide my dislike, but I think she senses my disappointment because she'll launch into a sales pitch to convince me it's a good gift.

"These ill-fitting elastic waisted jeans adorned with sequins and rhinestones that I picked up at Walmart in the old ladies' section go with EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING like this faux-leather, cougar-print vest that I picked up at Steinmart. And I also got you these zebra-print patent-leather boots from Big Lots to make the outfit complete. YOU ARE GOING TO BE SHARP, GIRL."

I know she knows these gifts don't bowl me over with excitement. But every year it is the same.
Old 11-29-2019, 10:42 AM

Stocking filler books entitled '100 things to do instead of staring at your iphone' or 'the world's best political cartoons'.

Anything from the 'gift' section of any store.

Any clothing connected to slouching around at home - cutesy socks with dogs on them, slippers, robes, pyjamas, onesies, hoodies, 'athwear'. I don't do any of that shit.

DVDs/CDs - seriously, have you not got Spotify/Netflix yet?

Endorsing the OPs request for nil family photos. I have a (large, naked) photo of my baby god daughter that I have to remember to retrieve out of the drawer every time my friend comes over. Said child is now 8, when do I get to stop?
Old 11-29-2019, 10:45 AM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanVito View Post
I have a (large, naked) photo of my baby god daughter that I have to remember to retrieve out of the drawer every time my friend comes over. Said child is now 8, when do I get to stop?
It could be worse-said relative could give you an updated photograph every year.
Old 11-29-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
anything.
I was going to say "presents", but I like this better.

My MIL feels the need to give us all gifts each year, at Thanksgiving (tree ornaments, every year) and for Christmas. The Xmas presents are always what she thinks we will all like, so it gives a good window on what she thinks about all of us. My son has not liked toy cars, and my daughter has not liked horses, and I have not gone fishing in years, yet cards and gifts still reflect these things. It shows that she has not stayed in touch with us enough to know what's going on in our lives. What else can you do by smile and say 'thanks' and then afterward look for a way to get rid of this stuff.

Actually, serious question, with time still on the clock, how can I tell her NOT to provide me gifts this year? I don't think I can deny her getting her grandkids gifts, but what are the right words to say "Please do not get me anything this year" without overly offending?
Old 11-29-2019, 11:28 AM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthx View Post
Actually, serious question, with time still on the clock, how can I tell her NOT to provide me gifts this year? I don't think I can deny her getting her grandkids gifts, but what are the right words to say "Please do not get me anything this year" without overly offending?
Convince her to donate money or a gift in your name to a local charity, then tell people about her generosity to reinforce the act.
Old 11-29-2019, 11:30 AM

Gold Lame Boxer Shorts
Old 11-29-2019, 11:32 AM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Gold Lame Boxer Shorts
That's pretty lame, alright.
Old 11-29-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Convince her to donate money or a gift in your name to a local charity, then tell people about her generosity to reinforce the act.
I agree with this. You don't want to start an argument and giving to charity at Xmas is very appropriate!

I was tricky to buy for when I was young.
I was in my own little world of chess, books (mainly sci-fi and detective stories.)
One elderly relative bought me a book on 'how to learn chess'. I know she meant well, but I was playing in the British Chess Championship at the time.
Old 11-29-2019, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Ebola. Please don't give me ebola for Christmas.
Old 11-29-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
anything.
Yep, I'm with you too. If I want something the chances are I've already bought it for myself. And I'm just not good at looking and sounding grateful for something I don't want and will never use.

OK, I'll grant one exception - a whiskey that I am not familiar with. That's it.

j
Old 11-29-2019, 11:51 AM

Another "anything" here. If you see something at any time of year that you know id like, sure, get it. Ill probably appreciate it. But don't do because of the stupid bullshit holiday says you have to. And certainly don't expect anything from me.
Old 11-29-2019, 12:23 PM

What I really want is for you to bring a box for me to fill up with stuff for you to take home with you.
Old 11-29-2019, 12:46 PM

Stop Giving Me Crap for Christmas
Old 11-29-2019, 01:02 PM

Luggage. Suitcases. Specialty boxes with handles. PLEASE! There is a REASON why we don't have any!

We've done the whole suitcases business, we were an Army family, and we did suitcases for years and years. We finally got rid of the damned things. And we do NOT want any more. Grocery tote bags work fine for us now. Really.

And we're too old to give a damn about "how it looks."

~VOW
Old 11-29-2019, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Any clothing connected to slouching around at home - cutesy socks with dogs on them, slippers, robes, pyjamas, onesies, hoodies, 'athwear'. I don't do any of that shit.
Okay, I promise I won't get you any of that stuff, but I have to ask, what do you wear when you are lounging around at home? Nothing? Or do you just spend all your time engaged in activities and never lounge around at all?

I'm pretty easygoing when it comes to gifts - I'll accept anything, but if you give me chocolate or coffee, it's going to be passed on to someone who can use it.
Old 11-29-2019, 04:34 PM

Those boxed sets of scented lotion/body wash/shampoo. Tends to be re-gifted.

I don't like most artificial fragrances and really don't want to go around smelling that shit on my own skin for hours.

Look, I understand these are the usual gift choice for "woman I don't know" which is why I'll re-gift ... to some chick I don't know well, either. Eventually.
Old 11-29-2019, 04:54 PM
Friend of Cecil

Stuff. Stuff for the sake of stuff. I just don't need stuff. Get me a consumable if you don't know what to get me, but stop drowning me in stuff.

Clothes, and here I'm talking to you, Mum. You just pick random sizes! Thanks for the size 10 shirt, the size 16 underpants and the size 26 PJs. Goodwill will love them!
Old 11-29-2019, 05:31 PM

I'll add that foo-foo smelling stuff in "gift sets." I cannot wear cologne any more, and steering my cart down the laundry detergent aisle at the grocery store makes my lungs hurt.

I don't want candles, either.

I WILL take the chocolate and coffee that SpoilerVirgin doesn't want!

~VOW
Old 11-29-2019, 06:48 PM

I don't want candles, and I can buy my own hand location.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:53 PM

Clothing, specially clothing that's completely different from anything I usually wear. You're not allowed to turn Christmas into an intervention on my wardrobe.

Perfume you're expecting me to wear. I'll use it as alcohol to clean sticker marks.

Easter swag. Giving cups decorated with Easter bunnies for Christmas to the widow and the spinster was a particularly "WTF? Is she actually this rude, or actually this ignorant?" moment. Then again, the last time she got a bit too much alcohol was at the baptism of our common Nephew-by-Adoption and she slurred at me (the aforementioned spinster) that "y'ain't a real woman unless y'v given birth," so she's definitely as sensitive as the fingernails of a dead elephant...
Old 11-29-2019, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Endorsing the OPs request for nil family photos. I have a (large, naked) photo of my baby god daughter that I have to remember to retrieve out of the drawer every time my friend comes over. Said child is now 8, when do I get to stop?
I have a firm belief that proper manners requires one to display a gift prominently when the giver is visiting *once*.
From that point forward, there are no strings attached.

Seriously, life is too short to worry about hurting feelings by not keeping a gift displayed for 20 years, and who are you fooling anyway--they do the same thing with decorative gifts they receive.

I regularly remind my wife of this. Once the person has seen their gift in view in our home, it is eligible for retirement any time she feels like changing things up a bit.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:37 PM

Sounds like there should be a post-Christmas SDMB gift swap.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

Chocolate. It can be easily regifted, but I just don’t have a sweet tooth any longer.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Personal View Post
Send your address and you can have an unopened bottle of schnapps
Old 11-29-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DummyGladHands View Post
Send your address and you can have an unopened bottle of schnapps

Send the scnapps to DorkVader. He's been having sinus problems!

~VOW
Old 11-29-2019, 11:20 PM

A gift card for the local brothel. Same thing, year after year. They are so sick of me.
Old 11-29-2019, 11:58 PM

My adult daughter apparently forgot she gave me the same quaint but useless retro-punk box thingy twice. I don't need another this Xmas, thanks baby.

I have enough mandolins at the moment. No more Native American language courses either, please. Nor adorable pets.

Books by right-wing political shits (but I repeat myself) will be shredded to mulch our toxic plants garden. I'll donate lefty books to the county library.

I've needed no neckties since 1987.
Old 11-30-2019, 01:52 AM

Chocolate and coffee are gratefully accepted at my house. So is anything with alcohol in it. Other than that, no thanks, I'm good.
Old 11-30-2019, 03:44 AM

Coffee that we can't get here, good.

Everything else, I'd rather they give to a favorite charity. Doesn't even have to be my favorite, it can be their favorite as well.

Postage costs keep going higher, so the postage cost to gift worth ratio is rather high. I'm fine if the charity gets all the money.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:27 AM
Endowment Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
Gift cards to the local bookstore. Yes, I love books; but honestly, I have more books than shelves. The gift cards to the bookstore do nothing more than pile up.

An Ikea gift card would be much more useful, as it would let me purchase additional bookshelves.
A gift card to the shelf store, then?
Old 11-30-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Personal View Post

Actually, we should all meet at a landfill, and just heave our crap into the void, together.

Then all go out for a drink together.

~VOW
Old 11-30-2019, 10:16 AM

Anything. I don't want or need anything.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:22 AM

Oi Vey! So much kop drey I save by being Jewish. We give little things to children/grandchildren when young (and of course expect nothing in return) and never exchange gifts with another adult. My daughter sends home-made biscotti to her in-laws and gets something like a box of chocolates.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOW View Post
Actually, we should all meet at a landfill, and just heave our crap into the void, together.

Then all go out for a drink together.

~VOW
That's getting pretty close to the quarry.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I don't know...

If it's something I like, I'd much rather have a "hard" copy, single or box set of a series, of something rather than in virtual streaming. It'll always be there and won't be subject to the whims of the provider as far as availability goes. Then there is the ease of using rewind or fast forward without pissing off the streaming and locking it up.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, I have Netflix. I still live having some things on DVD - both for the extras you sometimes get and also because I will always have it and it will always be available to me.

Hold on to your hate - I also still have vinyl LPs and a turntable. And yes, I use them.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:59 PM

Soap.

I have severe eczema. I can't use the damn stuff, but I got given a selection of fancy scented soaps by my mother something like 6 years in a row.
Old 11-30-2019, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glee View Post
I agree with this. You don't want to start an argument and giving to charity at Xmas is very appropriate!

I was tricky to buy for when I was young.
I was in my own little world of chess, books (mainly sci-fi and detective stories.)
One elderly relative bought me a book on 'how to learn chess'. I know she meant well, but I was playing in the British Chess Championship at the time.
Bless her heart. Would such an item served well as a “how to teach someone else to play chess”?