Old 11-30-2019, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
Those boxed sets of scented lotion/body wash/shampoo. Tends to be re-gifted.

I don't like most artificial fragrances and really don't want to go around smelling that shit on my own skin for hours.

Look, I understand these are the usual gift choice for "woman I don't know" which is why I'll re-gift ... to some chick I don't know well, either. Eventually.
I won a gift basket of such things at my nieceís baby shower in April. I might gift it to kaylasfriend as a thank-you for dog-sitting in early November while kaylasmom was in the skilled nursing facility.
Old 11-30-2019, 01:18 PM

I'm getting up a carload to head to the landfill. Since we're headed to SCal reaaly soon, I also want to just empty the refrigerator and be OH SO DONE with Thanksgiving!

~VOW
Old 11-30-2019, 01:22 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

For a while there, my MIL was always giving me kitchen gadgets. Remember the Salad Shooter? Or the hand-held blender wand thingy? yeah.

One that I eventually came to love, tho, is the rotisserie. It sat unused for ages - too big for any of my cabinets, and I had limited counter space. I was ready to toss it, and my spousal unit said "Why not just give it a try?" And I did. And I love it greatly.

Fortunately, that was the last appliance she ever gave me. In fact, we pretty much convinced that whole side of the family to quit gift-giving, and we resorted to white elephant or $10 Bad Santa games, and it was a lot less stress and a lot more fun.

My one sister, on the other hand, goes to a dollar store every year and gives us ornaments, despite me telling her every year for the last 15 that we don't do a tree and we don't decorate. The ornaments end up at the thrift store. And I expect we'll get more this year. She just doesn't listen.
Old 11-30-2019, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Please don’t give me anything that isn’t consumable (like food, cash, or gift cards) that you don’t know for sure that I want.

No cute knickknacks, no fancy health or beauty products, no souvenir dishwater or drinkware. Please no goddam clothing items. ... I’m sure I’ll think of more.

Last edited by Acsenray; 11-30-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOW View Post
Actually, we should all meet at a landfill, and just heave our crap into the void, together.

Then all go out for a drink together.

~VOW
Why throw it in the landfill, when there could be FIRE?

Yesterday my mom asked me what I wanted for Christmas. And then told me that they are telling people to not buy things for them because they don't need more stuff. Really?

It's too early to drink here.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
anything.
Yup, this.

Almost everything I want, I already have. And whatever's left that I still want, I'd rather pick it out for myself, thank you very much.

I guess I'll take an Amazon gift card.....
Old 12-01-2019, 10:05 PM

All I want for Christmas is a job. But the SIL insists on stupid, useless gifts such as moisturizer from TJMaxx. Seriously, don't buy me that crap.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:44 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

Short answer: add me to the "anything" column. Pretty much if I want something, I buy it for myself.

Longer answers:

1. Anything related to one of my interests, unless you know me very well. Chances are if you can find it, I've either already got it or don't want it (for example, Doctor Who stuff--there's a ton of it out there, and I'm interested in a very small subset of it).

2. "Gifts for Her." I am the world's biggest tomboy. I can probably count on one hand the number of things designed for the typical woman that I'd be even vaguely interested in, and have fingers left over. Don't get me perfume, bath sets, anything frilly, jewelry, etc. I guarantee you I won't use it.

Seriously, just don't waste your money on me. I promise I won't resent not getting a gift. Fortunately, my spouse's family has pretty much given up on everything but token gifts (like candy--yum!) for the adult members, and unfortunately both my parents are gone so it's not an issue anymore.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:38 AM

Our family trades names for gifting. We write up a wish list, put the list in a hat and draw. I am always very specific - what I would like (color/size/scent whatever), where it's available, and even a model number if available. I will email my Amazon wish list.
If my nephew/niece/daughter/her boyfriend get my name all is good.
But if my sister/brother-in-law/mother get my name? When my brother-in-law drew my name a few years ago, I received two wall calendars. I don't use wall calendars. I realized the freebie one hanging on my fridge was still on July just a few days ago. If my sister draws my name and doesn't want to go to a specialty store, and she won't buy anything online, she'll buy what she thinks is "close enough". And my mom? Bless her heart.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

No cutesy novelty gifts, no picture frames, no decorative bowls, no vases, no decorative anything that has to take ip space on a flat surface.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Please donít give me anything that isnít consumable (like food, cash, or gift cards) that you donít know for sure that I want.

No cute knickknacks, no fancy health or beauty products, no souvenir dishwater or drinkware. Please no goddam clothing items. ... Iím sure Iíll think of more.

Emphasis mine...

Man, they'll sell anything at tourist traps, won't they?
Old 12-02-2019, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyada View Post
Emphasis mine...

Man, they'll sell anything at tourist traps, won't they?
Damn autocorrect didn't believe that "dishware" is a word.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Damn autocorrect didn't believe that "dishware" is a word.
I knew that's what happened. But the joke was right there...
Old 12-02-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
Short answer: add me to the "anything" column. Pretty much if I want something, I buy it for myself.

Longer answers:

1. Anything related to one of my interests, unless you know me very well. Chances are if you can find it, I've either already got it or don't want it
You nailed it. Thank you, thank you, thank you for stating what has always been the biggest banes of my gift receiving existence. Most people have come around to proper thinking, but my mother still persists in wanting to give me the most inanely generic "stuff" as to my hobbies/avocations.

It was once pointed out to her ( by my father ) that a gift certificate to an automotive restoration parts supplier ( that caters to my specific make/model ) would be a great gift idea for me, but that she nixed giving money or gift certificates as "too impersonal", and then proceeds to buy silly generic automotive accessories from 'Pep Boys' and the like.

Same with movies or music. She'll get me some schlocky blockbuster-ey DVD even though I'm much more "deep" than the mouth breathers that eat up Hollywood schlock.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:30 PM

Anything. Really, can we just skip the whole thing this year?

I expect I will get gifts from: Sister, Niece, Kid 1, Kid 2, family friend, and spouse. Mostly they will be token inexpensive gifts (a book, clever socks, etc.) That's okay.

But my spouse is the problem. They suffer from being very spendy. It is torture for me to open a pile of expensive gifts from them knowing I will have to figure out how to pay the credit card bill at the end of the month. I have expressed this to them to no avail. Yes, we put the "fun" in dis-fun-ctional!
Old 12-02-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
*snip* It is torture for me to open a pile of expensive gifts from them knowing I will have to figure out how to pay the credit card bill at the end of the month. I have expressed this to them to no avail. Yes, we put the "fun" in dis-fun-ctional!

OHGAWD.

This happened to me about 35 years ago. My heart is pounding, just remembering the occasion!

Mr VOW comes in Christmas morning with a big ass box, and an even bigger shit-eating grin to go with it. I was HORRIFIED!

I opened the box to find a TV. I started to cry. "How are we going to PAY for this?" I sobbed.

His grin got even bigger. I was circling the drain of despair.

"I called the credit card company and got an increase in our credit line!"

Worse Christmas of my life. And the thing is, he fully EXPECTED me to cry and to get upset!

And yes, we're still married. 45 years last June.

~VOW
Old 12-03-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoilerVirgin View Post
Okay, I promise I won't get you any of that stuff, but I have to ask, what do you wear when you are lounging around at home? Nothing? Or do you just spend all your time engaged in activities and never lounge around at all?.
Oh, I lounge. But I also get dressed. I sleep naked, so my only 'bedroom/lounge' wear is a robe I put on to make coffee in the morning. Otherwise I'm up and dressed - jeans and casual tops, sure. But proper, 'could go outside/answer the front door' clothing.

I don't feel comfortable in slouchy stuff. I realise that's a bit freaky.

Last edited by SanVito; 12-03-2019 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Non-consumables. I have too much stuff. If I can't eat it, drink it, burn it, or otherwise use it up I do not want it!!