Old 12-02-2019, 03:14 AM

Thread of Appreciation.. (or ol' beck's nosy)

Name a Doper you appreciate and a sentence or 3 why this is so.....

Let's get started:
I have favorites. You know who you are.
But I really appreciate 'Nelliebly'
Always encouraging and friendly. Pleasantly easy to chat with. Thank-you, Nellie

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 12-02-2019 at 03:14 AM.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:38 AM

The obvious one is you, Beckdawrek. You make me laugh. As it is so often said, Life's a bitch, and then you die. Well, in between the two, I intend on laughing as much as possible.

DorkVader makes me laugh. nelliebly certainly makes me laugh.

Countless others make me laugh, but I haven't had even a full cup of coffee yet, so most of the brain cells are still asleep.

I come to the SDMB to laugh, to be educated, always to be entertained!

~VOW
Old 12-02-2019, 10:17 AM

I appreciate Aspenglow for her wise, witty and well-informed posts, and Vinyl Turnip for consistently making me laugh.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOW View Post
The obvious one is you, Beckdawrek. You make me laugh. As it is so often said, Life's a bitch, and then you die. Well, in between the two, I intend on laughing as much as possible.

DorkVader makes me laugh. nelliebly certainly makes me laugh.

Countless others make me laugh, but I haven't had even a full cup of coffee yet, so most of the brain cells are still asleep.

I come to the SDMB to laugh, to be educated, always to be entertained!

~VOW
Awww, thanks.
I appreciate you as well, in fact I wanna be you. (Exceot for the meeces)
Old 12-02-2019, 12:25 PM

Wow, thank you. I have tears in my eyes, I'm so moved. Of course, you're at the top of my and many others' lists, Beck, a plucky gal with a great sense of humor and an excellent shootin' eye.

But I have to say, there are so many people here on the Dope that I appreciate, not just in the MPSIMS but elsewhere, that I don't think I could pick another one out without feeling bad that someone I didn't mention wouldn't get the appreciation he/she/they deserve. Odds are, if you're a Doper and you're reading this, I'm grateful for your presence in my life.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:20 PM

You're the best Nellie.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

I appreciate all the Mumpers. Including Beck, nellie, and Vow.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:55 PM

Gatopescado is a bud. If we didn't live so freakin far apart, we'd prolly hang out a lot. Dogs, too!

Beck is impressive: she came on here not too long ago and by force of personality carved out a huge niche for herself. Make no mistake, she'll own this dump some day.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
Beck is impressive: she came on here not too long ago and by force of personality carved out a huge niche for herself. Make no mistake, she'll own this dump some day.
I often find myself feeling that Beck didn't just enter the SDMB; rather, she blew the door open and took it by storm. I'm glad she did; I enjoy her contributions and think they add a lot to our community. I've said it before, and I will say it again: Beck, though you haven't been here that long, you are definitely a Doper.

My thanks also extend to Northern Piper, for reasons he knows. I will say that his legal posts are always educational, and his family posts are often hilarious--the "glitter palace" indeed.

Elendil's Heir is another favourite poster. I've learned a lot from him too. Thanks, EH!
Old 12-03-2019, 03:40 AM

Thx for all the kind words. If you looked into my window and saw how quiet and shy I really am you wouldn't believe I'm the same beckdawrek. I've truly found a voice on the Dope. (Quit the snickering in the peanut gallery or I'll break out in a big, loooooong thread about the lil'wrekkers wardrobe woes.)
I have formed, thought about and had real opinions. It's amazing. Never believed that would've ever happened, in my life. I'm the quintessential wallflower.
This thread didn't really go as I planned. They never really do, do they? Go figure. You Dopers never cease to amaze, entertain and teach me.
I love you guys.
beck
Old 12-03-2019, 05:42 AM

Hummmmm,
Lessee...well, Beck, VOW of course, my best buds on here. Panache, Spoons, Dropzone one utter new person who seems pretty cool at first blush and is rockin a really cool name is Die Capacitrix and I think I'll be able to suck her into my delusion she's going to fit in nicely around here(she's making PIES this week y'all!) Beyond that wow I dunno so many that don't seem to be around as much these days
Old 12-03-2019, 11:41 AM

Well, Dork what can I say? You're our Charlie.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:08 PM

Guessing this thread has a high view count already from all the Dopers poking in, looking for their own name, going "Hmph" and backing out in a snit.

I'm not naming my favorites, because I have a terrible memory and would keep going, "Oh, I forgot so-and-so, shit!"

Side note: if not taken yet, "so-and-so" would make a pretty good username.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
Guessing this thread has a high view count already from all the Dopers poking in, looking for their own name, going "Hmph" and backing out in a snit.

I'm not naming my favorites, because I have a terrible memory and would keep going, "Oh, I forgot so-and-so, shit!"

These popularity contests never go very well, IME here.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:15 PM

I didn't mean for it to be a popularity contest. Just an appreciation thread. Ah, well.
I've gotten so much from folks on the Dope and I appreciate many.
Just wanted to spread the love, alittle. ()
Old 12-03-2019, 08:29 PM

I vote you Most Popular too, Beck. You really are a prolific poster and your threads are always fun to read.

Can I sit with the cool kids at lunch now? No? OK, I'll just shuffle back to the geek table.

Old 12-03-2019, 08:32 PM

The cool kids are the geeks, nerds, dorks, and a clever funny guy (my favorite, btw)
You're welcome Riverhippie! Pull up a chair.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 12-03-2019 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
Gatopescado is a bud.
Bad Dog! Get offa my leg!

Old 12-03-2019, 09:12 PM

(River Hippie attempts a response and faints dead away)
Old 12-03-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:

>*<×@{PURPLE!!!!!!!!!!!}@×>*<

Where ya been? How ya been? Get yer sitch worked out in a good way?
Old 12-03-2019, 10:49 PM

I will read anything posted by Broomstick because it is always so sensible.

I haven't seen him lately, but anything by Stranger on a train was always so informative.

Last edited by Hari Seldon; 12-03-2019 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:13 PM

I'm always glad to see Kimstu in any thread I'm reading. She's intelligent and articulate, occasionally side-splittingly funny, and seemingly posts to share ideas and argue points, rather than engage in internet pecker-flexing. Anything she writes is worth reading, especially on feminism, gender issues, and ethics.

iiandyiiii is another I enjoy. It helps that we have similar politics, but his posts have a positive honest-debate-to-flaming-vitriol ratio.

I very much dislike his politics, but I enjoy Shodan's posts. He's a flamemeister and snarker in GD debates, but, unlike some other political posters, he also participates in other fora like MPSIMS and IMHO. Got a sense of humor, too.
“It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.”
― Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, Good Omens

Last edited by Slow Moving Vehicle; 12-03-2019 at 11:14 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
I will read anything posted by Broomstick because it is always so sensible.

I haven't seen him lately, but anything by Stranger on a train was always so informative.
Stranger on a train was my initial favorite to binge-read. I heard of a lot of the more notable posters over months and months and never joined, but reading one or two of his posts really got me interested in attempting to post on the mighty Straight Dope. At the time I was a lot more afraid of making mistakes in accuracy or somehow revealing myself to being a buffoon, and yet somehow reading these incredibly accurate, razor-sharp posts that don't shout for prominance or dig a gleeful barb, yet stood apart as utterly informative and clean somehow influenced my joining the board. I felt like he did not tailor his posts to be more persuasive or entertaining, always adhering to a standard that stood on its own. He appeared to post not to socialize but rather to hone his skill. At least, I make it sound that grand, but I remember thinking that.

Obviously, no one is truly that flawless. But yeah, I was pretty stoked on this guy. I also think I vaguely remember there maybe being somewhat subtle sarcasm in some posts, but I would have to really dig into his posts to be sure. Just wanted to contribute to the thread meaningfully.

And yes, Beck, I think I am catching on that I should (if I believe it myself) say something here about you. You have always been utterly kind and genuine. I really appreciated the lack of snark and bitterness. It's refreshingly unpretentious and non-competitive and really human the way you write. I think the board can play host to a few different cultures at times, and sharing triumphant stories (at least I heard of one about a warranty purchased) can provide people more room to just relax and be human on the board. And, I think that's secretly what most of them are on here for to begin with in at least some sense - connection.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:02 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

I, too, don't care to name names, as I don't think that's necessarily fair, but there are a lot of people here (including in this thread) whom I consider to be friends, and who brighten my day when I read your posts, be they funny, smart, witty, or touching.

*hugs*

Last edited by kenobi 65; 12-04-2019 at 12:02 AM.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
iiandyiiii is another I enjoy. It helps that we have similar politics, but his posts have a positive honest-debate-to-flaming-vitriol ratio.
Thanks very much for the kind words! And I enjoy your posts as well.

As for other posters, I'll add to the praise for Stranger on a Train and hope he returns. Others I greatly appreciate -- monstro, LHoD, Kimstu, you with the face, and Richard Parker. There are many more, but those jump out to me. Thank you Dopers!
Old 12-06-2019, 02:45 AM

I do believe the board provides connections to other living souls. I further believe it's a wonderful thing. In this time of social media and families spread out that connection could be the only link someone has.
I've spent many hours alone. I have a really large family and a Husband and 3 grown kids. Lots of of folks are aware of me. Doesn't mean I see alot of my sibs or extended kin. My kids have busy lives. They don't necessarily wanna baby-sit Mom.
I've made some good friends here. I've worried and mourned, laughed and poked fun at many. I know odds are I'll never meet any in person. I still care and consider them friends.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
I do believe the board provides connections to other living souls. I further believe it's a wonderful thing. In this time of social media and families spread out that connection could be the only link someone has.
I've spent many hours alone. I have a really large family and a Husband and 3 grown kids. Lots of of folks are aware of me. Doesn't mean I see alot of my sibs or extended kin. My kids have busy lives. They don't necessarily wanna baby-sit Mom.
I've made some good friends here. I've worried and mourned, laughed and poked fun at many. I know odds are I'll never meet any in person. I still care and consider them friends.
Beck, I have pretty much no family at all. The Dope is my family, along with the regulars at the sports bar. You have made some good friends here, and you are family.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:32 AM

TY, Spoons. I consider you family as well.
And many others here.

Love all you guys and I love this place.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:

Is "Hmph" a username yet?
Old 12-07-2019, 03:33 AM

I appreciate all those who post in the different threads. This keeps this place alive and interesting.

I especially appreciate those who can post and be nice. There's a lot of meanness "out there" and it's nice to be reminded this is not everyone.
Old Yesterday, 05:23 PM

<----Die-C- i agree about the nice posts/posters. I've spent way too many hours of my life fretting over 'meaness'. Where I'm at today; I'm just tired of it.
I realize election wars, scammers, spammers, and other bad actors deserve pitting and flaming. I don't have to like it.
I just want love. ()

Last edited by Beckdawrek; Yesterday at 05:24 PM. Reason: zo