Old 12-02-2019, 06:57 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Help me plan an exit strategy in the MMP

First off, no I'm not leaving my fellow Mumpers or the Dope. I am, however, on the cusp of leaving my job.

As you know, I've been sharing an office with Baby Engineer (OK, his real name is Robert) for over 3 years. I've pranked him a couple of times, with harmless stuff like hiding plastic Easter eggs in his work area. And now that I'm leaving, he'll be moving to my desk, which is better situated in the office and has more space.

SOOOOOOOOO - I need to prepare the desk for him. MWAHAHAHAHAHA!! I want suggestions. Do your best/worst/most creative!!

Happy Moanday!
Old 12-02-2019, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

First! To be juvenile it is good!

Good Mornin' Y'all! Up and caffeinatin'. 'Tis 44 Amurrkin out and clear with a predicted high of 54 and N.O.S. for the day. I shall spiff da cave today and sup tonight shall be a break the fast with ham 'n cheese omelets, bizkits, and grits. In the mood for breakfast for sup for some reason.

Hmmm... there's always the classic put everything in Jell-O. Other than that I got nuttin'.

Now I need more caffeine and to feed rumbly tummy. Then, onward into the day. Rah.

Happy Moanday Y'all!

Last edited by swampbear; 12-02-2019 at 07:04 AM.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:11 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post

SOOOOOOOOO - I need to prepare the desk for him. MWAHAHAHAHAHA!! I want suggestions. Do your best/worst/most creative!!

Happy Moanday!
Packing peanuts.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:14 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Spousal unit suggested packing peanuts. Maybe in one drawer. I wish I could afford enough Hershey Kisses, but I'm about to retire and I don't have that kind of money.

Balloons, perhaps, but they're too easy to remove, unless they're full of glitter??
Old 12-02-2019, 07:51 AM

From the things we've done before:
  • Lots of little cups, all placed one by one, next to each other. A pitcher. Use the pitcher to fill each cup up halfway with water. Take pitcher with you. This is a very simple but time consuming prank to clean up from as unless the cleanupee can find something to dump the water into they can only carry a few cups at a time to the kitchen/water fountain/bathroom to dump out.
  • Plastic sheeting, beanbag pellets, a fan - lay the fan on the floor, facing up, tape sheeting over cube, turn on fan, pour beanbag pellets in. Viola - cubicle snow globe!

Got home last night w/o incident, though driving/rain was so bad in the beginning that I was only driving the speed limit.
Kicked the kid out Sat night. She made it back to skool ahead of the rain/snow/sleet. Multi-hour drive in that prolly ain't the time to learn how to drive in that $#!+. Kicked the pups butt late yesterday moaning. Took her for a 2½ish mile walk, in the (not too) cold; she came home & passed out, hard, in my lap. Didn't even lift her haid to beg when I was brought something to eat.

Igloo cooler is amazing! Bought a bag of ice early Wed moaning that went into cooler in back of car. Granted the car was outside until last night (when it went into the unheated-but-still-warmer-than-outside garage) & there was about 9-ish hours of driving, with comfortably set thermostat but there's still a decent # of ice cubes left in it.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:04 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
From the things we've done before:[LIST][*]Lots of little cups, all placed one by one, next to each other. <snip>
This is something I can work with - I have little cups, and I can get a big bag of M&M or something similar and fill the 2 top drawers... hmmmmmmm...
Old 12-02-2019, 08:32 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:

Balloons, perhaps, but they're too easy to remove, unless they're full of glitter??
When you look up "evil" in the dictionary...
Old 12-02-2019, 08:55 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I just put 2 loaves of 'nanner bread in the oven. Roxy has been slacking off - I had 4 very ripe bananas on the counter this morning. I pulled the least overripe one for her to have when she wakes, and the other 3 are now baking. Here's the recipe if anyone is interested. It's very yummmmmmm.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:18 AM

A hundred years or so ago, a co-worker got married. I filled all his desk drawers with rice. It took YEARS before he finally got rid of the last grain!

Packing tape to tape all drawers and cabinets shut is a nice touch.

~VOW
Old 12-02-2019, 09:37 AM

Happy Moonday!

Hopefully this week everything will get back to normal.

It's a wet drizzley 37 degrees outside. Lots of mud at the park

I guess if you can't afford Hershey's Kisses you won't be able to afford this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIv3KDNvuB0 Mooooooommmmm

I once irked with a guy who liked to prank me every now and then. One day I made a whole mess of origami boxes (the only origami I know how to do) and filled his over the desk cabinet with them. When he opened, the door they all came spilling out.

Today I need to finish straightening up the house. The folding table needs to be put away, laundry needs to be done. I need to go through the fridge and plan meals to use up all the leftovers. My new chairs didn't come yesterday, not surprised with all the rain, as driving was slow.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:43 AM

FCM...what about post it notes covering the desk top? I like the packing peanuts in a drawer too.
I've been awake most of the night. Dozed a couple times. This is crazy. My brain is tired. My body is sore. Did too much.
Rh6e Siamese cats are all over me. As soon as I sit down here they come. I would train them to wear swesters bit I value all my fingers and eyeballs.
Washin a bunch of sheets cats will love that.
Gotta eat.
Good mornin' y'all
Old 12-02-2019, 09:47 AM

A prank idea:
I used to prank people by making fake pens. I'd get pens where you can take out the top part (the tip) and the bottom part. I'd then make a pen that had two bottom parts, one on each end, put the cap back on, and leave it around or give it to people to try to write with.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:55 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Whatever I do has to be hidden till I'm gone, so I'm pretty much limited to the drawers and maybe the knee hole, so foil and post-its won't do it. I could put stuff on the cork board under all my notes so when he removes my stuff, he'll find a message...

I also have a limited time in the morning to do these things - he arrives within 30 minutes of me.

I'd love to have something inflate and pop out of a drawer when he opens it, but that's getting into waaaay to pricey territory. And he won't use my chair, so there's no sense in messing with that, either.

I don't want to be mean - I just want to mess with him a bit. He really is a good kid.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:56 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Can you set up an air cannon?
Old 12-02-2019, 10:06 AM

Sorry FCM, I've got nothing. Albeit the packing peanuts and post-it notes are diabolical and should be used.

Need to get out to do some banking and the December grocery shopping in a little bit, it's down to 40F and not supposed to get any warmer today, so I apparently brought the cold down South with me (sorry about that red and swampy).

All y'all have a good Moanday now.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:40 AM

If you want true diabolical-ness, I point back to the rice. Uncooked, of course. Doesn't have to be Jasmine, Basmati, or even organic. Cheap stuff will do.

See, grains of rice are very slippery. Quite difficult to pick up on a flat surface. In a drawer, you'd have to push it to a corner, and then get individual grains trapped under your fingernails to remove them.

Cubicle drawers often have a teeny tiny gap around the inside perimeter of the drawers. *evil chuckle*

The gift that keeps on giving...

~VOW
Old 12-02-2019, 10:42 AM

I got nothin' for you Mooooooom except stuff you'll be around to witness. Packing tape around the casters of his chair are a quick, cheap prank.

Up, caffeinating, breakfasted and fixing to do KP. After that, I'll prep the week's breakfasts/lunches and purtify to take a friend to the eye doctor. Tomorrow, it's back to irk.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:48 AM

My brain is not working yet. Happy Monday.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:15 AM

Sorry, Mooooooom, I'm no good at thinking up pranks. The one time a colleague pranked me, my students, who were indignant witnesses, came up with the responding prank. My brain just doesn't work that way.

Living in a cloud this morning as fog descended last night. Today I have phone calls to make. Must find new rheumatologist as current one is awful. People warned me, but there are only two local ones on my HMO, and the other one is almost 80 years old. Not that I'm ageist, but I'd rather not start with someone with a high likelihood of retiring soon. I don't even know if he's taking new patients. If not, phone call to insurance to follow.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
First off, no I'm not leaving my fellow Mumpers or the Dope. I am, however, on the cusp of leaving my job.
My boss is retiring in July, and I'm training to take over her position. The president of the company thinks all I do is programming, and he doesn't think we need a programmer. The thing is, I've written all of the programs we're going to use. The other part of my job is to process the data through the programs I've written, keep up with the businesses sending us data to ensure we get their data, getting the data to where it needs to go... In other words, data processing. A lot of our data must be run through my programs. While it's not absolutely necessary for someone to know how to write Easytrieves, they need to know how to use them and to make adjustments when the data format changes or for other reasons. I think we're getting him to understand that there's more involved with my position than he thinks.

I work for a non-profit member-run company. We do get paid for data that is used, but our income comes from the products generated by the data. We're just breaking even now, and I can't remember the last time we got raises. We've been lucky to get contributions to our 401ks.

I'm not having any fun. Writing programs was fun. Processing the data through them isn't. Being married has been an expensive venture, and I'm way in debt. It would be nice to work someplace that gives raises. And then there's the 230-mile round-trip commute to the office twice a week. And the president doesn't seem to be impressed by all of my hard work over the past 12-plus years. I suspect that when my boss retires and I take over her position, the president will decide I'm 'not a good fit' or something.

I'm wondering if I should start looking for alternative employment now, or wait to see how things pan out. I think I'd rather work the floor at Costco or Trader Joe's, or find a data job in town (only 25 miles away). I'm getting tired.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:38 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missred View Post
Packing tape around the casters of his chair are a quick, cheap prank.
One of the other engineers removed the casters from Baby Engineer's chair one time. And I may add some rice to the mix. It's almost, but not quite, as bad as glitter.

Roxy is down for her nap, so I have an hour or so of quiet time. Yay!
Old 12-02-2019, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

I think I read this one elsewhere on the SDMB.

Buy a cheap burner phone, and program the ring tone to be something unusual, annoying, but brief. Hide the phone somewhere it'll be hard to find. Maybe tape it to the back of the cubicle wall or under a surface.

Then, at random times, call the phone.

See how long it takes to drive him crazy.

This prank may be a little more expensive than some of the others mentioned here, but it can also last a lot longer. If you can get in and recharge the battery, and maybe find a new hiding place, it could go on for weeks or months. Or until they carry him out, twitching and screaming.

Subsequent posters can suggest suitably awful ring tones. My ideas include a scritching sound like a rodent in the wall, a single soft beep, or a faint sigh or moan. The important thing is that it be short enough that it will be hard to locate the source.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:49 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Getting in after I'm gone will be pretty much impossible. Plus I'll be too busy post-retirement to drive 20+ miles one way for any prank.

But it reminded me of a former coworker who mounted an automatic air freshener sprayer under one guy's desk - took him several weeks to find it. I wonder what those things cost...
Old 12-02-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
My boss is retiring in July, and I'm training to take over her position. The president of the company thinks all I do is programming, and he doesn't think we need a programmer. The thing is, I've written all of the programs we're going to use. The other part of my job is to process the data through the programs I've written, keep up with the businesses sending us data to ensure we get their data, getting the data to where it needs to go... In other words, data processing. A lot of our data must be run through my programs. While it's not absolutely necessary for someone to know how to write Easytrieves, they need to know how to use them and to make adjustments when the data format changes or for other reasons. I think we're getting him to understand that there's more involved with my position than he thinks.

I work for a non-profit member-run company. We do get paid for data that is used, but our income comes from the products generated by the data. We're just breaking even now, and I can't remember the last time we got raises. We've been lucky to get contributions to our 401ks.

I'm not having any fun. Writing programs was fun. Processing the data through them isn't. Being married has been an expensive venture, and I'm way in debt. It would be nice to work someplace that gives raises. And then there's the 230-mile round-trip commute to the office twice a week. And the president doesn't seem to be impressed by all of my hard work over the past 12-plus years. I suspect that when my boss retires and I take over her position, the president will decide I'm 'not a good fit' or something.

I'm wondering if I should start looking for alternative employment now, or wait to see how things pan out. I think I'd rather work the floor at Costco or Trader Joe's, or find a data job in town (only 25 miles away). I'm getting tired.

Leave. The winds are not blowing in your direction.

Knocking down the 230 miles r/t to less than 50 miles r/t is like a raise in itself. And your mood will be so much brighter! Plus, you'll have much more time to play here in SDMB

~VOW
Old 12-02-2019, 11:56 AM

Prank ideas-
Get an air horn. Tape it into the back of a drawer so that when he pushes the drawer closed it goes off. It's extremely startling.
Is he keeping your old computer? Take a screen capture and make it the background. Then create a new folder on the desktop and move all other icons into the folder. It will look like the shortcuts/icons are still there but they will be hidden.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Who has to clean up the prank?
Old 12-02-2019, 12:02 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

He'll just move his computer from his desk to mine. Mine will go to IT and be wiped, and probably retired since it's almost 4 years old, which makes it close to ancient. It's still running Win7.

Flytrap - he'll have to "clean up" but I have no intention of making a disgusting mess there. I just want to mess with the kid a bit.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Prank.

When I worked at Edwards AFB, we had those grey, government-issued steel desks. There was a pencil/pen trough at the front of the middle drawer. I pranked a coworker by stretching a rubber band across the trough, with a 'paddle' in the middle made out of punch cards. I used whole punch cards to keep it from hanging up when the drawer was opened. Winding the rubber band/paddle assembly, I filled the middle compartment of the trough with confetti (the 'holes' from a 3-hole punch).

Next, I slightly disconnected the cord to my coworker's telephone handset so that it would prevent her from hearing anything when picking up the phone, or else just drop out completely. This was a prank I'd already done a couple of times, so I knew she knew it.

When she came back from lunch, I called my coworker. She plugged the cord back into her handset and said, 'Ha, ha, ha, John! You'll have to try something else!' I said, 'Yeah, I guess I will.' We hung up, and then she opened her desk drawer.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:31 PM

Wrap the desk in Saran Wrap (or as they call it in the U.K., cling film). Rice/confetti isn't funny and it just makes a mess. Is it possible to affix your desk to the ceiling? Upside down of course.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:33 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Wrapping the desk isn't an option. It needs to be something that isn't obvious since we share the office, so it'll be limited to drawers, the knee hole, and maybe the narrow gap between the desk and the wall.

Wonder if I can construct a false drawer bottom, then put marbles under it??
Old 12-02-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
FCM...what about post it notes covering the desk top? I like the packing peanuts in a drawer too.
I've been awake most of the night. Dozed a couple times. This is crazy. My brain is tired. My body is sore. Did too much.
Rh6e Siamese cats are all over me. As soon as I sit down here they come. I would train them to wear swesters bit I value all my fingers and eyeballs.
Gotta eat.
Good mornin' y'all
So sorry for my incoherence here.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 12-02-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:41 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Incoherence? I understood it. What does that say about me, then??

I can see where bad weather + Roxy = exhausting day! Plus daughter is using my car today as hers is still in the shop, so we couldn't even have gone to the library or the museum. Add to that, she doesn't speak English yet... this grandmothering is hard work!!!!
Old 12-02-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Have you seen some of the regulars around here?
Old 12-02-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post

Somewhat different situation, but I ran a small nonprofit for about 5 years. The pay wasn't great, the hours long, and the benefits few and unpaid. I loved the job and believed in the program, but it was exhausting.

Start looking now for a job in a for-profit closer to home. You've put in your time in a non-profit, and it's not working out financially. Whether your boss changes his mind or not, you'll likely still be in debt and burned-out if you stay.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Incoherence? I understood it. What does that say about me, then??

I can see where bad weather + Roxy = exhausting day! Plus daughter is using my car today as hers is still in the shop, so we couldn't even have gone to the library or the museum. Add to that, she doesn't speak English yet... this grandmothering is hard work!!!!
Mom, you are so nice. I'm feeling better and not so stoopid.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:19 PM

Got my first Christmas card today.
Kind of sad, it's from my cousin whose husband died earlier this year. Only her name on the card.

On a happier note, I saw on FB that today is my great-aunt's 95th birthday. She is really my grandfather's cousin, but she is married to my grandmother's brother. His 95th birthday is on the 13th. I think it's cool that they have been together for so long, over 70 years.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:22 PM

Have not read. Yet. Freaking irk took all my time. I even asked old grouch (acting director) an got permission to only irk 6 hours today and tomorrow and still irked 7 today. The 1st of the month should NEVER be on a Moanday. I guess I will burn the midnight oil to get all this stuff put away and tidied before the maid comes on Wednesday and turns around and walks out. I am trying to finish BAT (big ass tree) and the exchange of regular fancy China for Christmasy dishes. Too much.

Have not read but will. Happy New Week.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Mundane personal victory: Alex Catt hornked, and I caught it with a wad of paper towels before it hit the floor. Having a martini.

Moooommmmmm!!!, Buy some Dolla Sto spatulas, and stick them in the desk drawers so they are almost impossible to open.

Quote:
It seemed OK to me. Which may be a sign you need help.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:22 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

doggio - I'm planning a trek to the local dollar store to see what I can see.

The 'nanner bread was really good, but then it always is. Supper was good. I's tahred - 5AM is going to sneak up on me tomorrow. But only 6 more times...
Old 12-02-2019, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Howdy Y'all! I spiffed da cave and made sup which has been et. Did not leave the place all day which I lurve! Tomorrow, however, I shall venture forth. I need to take care of a few things, so might as well go deal. Le Sigh. Also Firday, the church leadership development thingy I got myself involved in cranks up again, so I shall have to go participate and make nice with other people for a day and a half. WOE! Oh well, at least the food is good.

Beck coherency has never been exactly a strong tenant of the MMP. Matter of fact the less sense one makes the more it makes sense to most of us. We thrive on senselessness up in hear!
Old 12-02-2019, 06:30 PM

Mooooooom Get one of these

BTW thanks for all the hugs and love.. I will really quit lurking one of these days, I promise.

Last edited by janis_and_c0; 12-02-2019 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:34 PM

Stop with the 10 emails an hour telling me “last Chance” to buy stuff. The worst is Microsoft. I get multiple messages a day from them. STOP IT!
Old 12-02-2019, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbutler View Post
Mundane personal victory: Alex Catt hornked, and I caught it with a wad of paper towels before it hit the floor. Having a martini.
And well deserved. Excellent, Sir!
Old 12-02-2019, 07:01 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:

As you know, I've been sharing an office with Baby Engineer (OK, his real name is Robert) for over 3 years. I've pranked him a couple of times, with harmless stuff like hiding plastic Easter eggs in his work area. And now that I'm leaving, he'll be moving to my desk, which is better situated in the office and has more space.

Happy Moanday!
We're back to the rattlesnake again. But other than that
1) Something from Uranus MO; a copy of their newspaper could be provided if you send me an address to send it to.
2) A voodoo-looking doll.
3) Two cents --- and see if he's smart enough to get it.
4) Something creepy like this https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/c...pg?format=500w
copies of the Satanic Bible are also always nice to leave in things.
5) a small container of fingernail clippings and hair; extra points if they are nothing like your color.
6) pencils/pens from hospitals, funeral homes, and/or titty bars

and I am clearly putting too much thought in this
Old 12-02-2019, 07:11 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Glitter and inflated in such a way it isn't obvious ------- so with luck he pops one. Possibly taping on a handy hatpin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOW View Post

Packing tape to tape all drawers and cabinets shut is a nice touch.

My personal touch was to use double-sided tape and do it basically from the inside.

Be sure to wrap the entire desk in several layers of plasti-wrap.

(At Da Old Jungle we once wrapped a guys new truck closed but we had the supplies handy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyG View Post
A prank idea:
I used to prank people by making fake pens. I'd get pens where you can take out the top part (the tip) and the bottom part. I'd then make a pen that had two bottom parts, one on each end, put the cap back on, and leave it around or give it to people to try to write with.
Get someone near you who uses fountain pens to lend you some ink. Get some cheap Bic-like pens. Fill the cap with ink and then close. When he takes one out, with luck, he'll use his teeth to hold the cap as he opens it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Can you set up an air cannon?
Would you like a real cannon? I got one desk-sized I could rig with an automatic ignition and ---------- nah. That probably crosses the line from prank to booby trap.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Gotta eat.
Good mornin' y'all

Not to worry. I'm fluent in typo!

I hosted in a busy AOL chat room for several years.

~VOW
Old 12-02-2019, 07:27 PM

Johnny, were I in your shoes, I would consider changing jobs. It sounds like this one will lead to more misery.

Got my friend's eye treatment trip done with for another six weeks. It took forty five minutes to get from midtown Nashville to Antioch on the east side (12 miles), which was longer than the remaining 28 miles to get him to where he is staying for a couple of days took. Am I ever so glad I don't have to deal with that every day.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

I made fish Florentine tonight. I used cod, though I'm not a huge fan of cod. The sauce was excellent. Next time, I'll use halibut or tilapia.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:54 PM

Johnny I say start looking. It can't hurt and if it works out, the rewards will be worth it.

Moommm I think Roxy is old enough to start learning signs. If you teach her things like "hungry", and "bottle", it helps a lot. Bonus - it's adorable.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:59 PM

Beckdawrek, I easily understood the post but was a tad concerned because it sounded hypoglycemic-y. I was relieved to see subsequent posts where you sounded like your usual self.

I keep getting notices from USPS saying they tried to deliver a package. The latest one was in my (locked, secure) mailbox saying there was no secure location. It's a tee shirt, for cryin' out loud! And I'm not a big person. And there are big lock boxes underneath the mailboxes. The first two said there was no access to my apartment (wrong) and the second said the complex gate was locked, which it was because it was night time. On a Sunday.

I also spent an hour on the phone with my insurance company.

Thank heavens for this place.