Old 12-02-2019, 09:33 AM

Are there any exterior Chrismas lights that last anymore?

A few years ago I bit the bullet and tossed my C9 exterior Christmas light strings and bought LED ones. The following year I put them up, and they didn't work anymore -- the sockets had all rusted out. I bought new ones, and the same thing happened. The next ones I bought lasted that season and half of the next one. I'm no longer buying exterior Christmas lights until they figure out how to have the damn things survive the weather.

Can anyone recommend any LED brands that work while I drink a toast to the fond memories of my durable C9 filament bulbs, which lasted for 10 years until I foolishly gave them up?

Last edited by Patch; 12-02-2019 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:40 AM

If you have a huge, outdoor display, I can see where this would be a real problem in terms of expense. In my case, I only string my deck railing with four sets of 6' wide by 4' deep sets so, when the season is over, I'll just toss them and buy four new sets next fall. I just consider it a Christmas expense that I will incur every year. In fact, I put them up yesterday morning, and they are all perfect.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:48 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I started doing a larger display a few years ago and immediately found the load to be too heavy for the plug I was using, so I switched to LED and was super happy to see the reduction in power usage.

Unfortunately, strands did go out But! I had ordered all my lights from 1000 Bulbs and they honor manufacturer warranties, which are typically 2-3 seasons. I was able to get a replacement for my lights that went out, and that couldn't be fixed by replacing the fuse.

I did buy a lot of strands from them (20), and only 2 went out. Not sure if that's a high success rate or not.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
If you have a huge, outdoor display, I can see where this would be a real problem in terms of expense. In my case, I only string my deck railing with four sets of 6' wide by 4' deep sets so, when the season is over, I'll just toss them and buy four new sets next fall. I just consider it a Christmas expense that I will incur every year. In fact, I put them up yesterday morning, and they are all perfect.
This is what a lot of people do, I expect. And it is symbolic of what is desperately wrong with our society. The throw-away culture. Disposable Christmas lights. Just throw them away in the garbage and they disappear. Buy new every year.

If we don't start demanding stuff that lasts, and stop the throw-away culture, our planet is screwed.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:12 AM

Please. Stay far, far away from those damned projected light displays! My son in law has it on his house, and I'm surprised all the migraineurs and seizure disorder patients aren't writhing and screaming on his front lawn! ESPECIALLY since his own family includes members in both groups!

~VOW

Last edited by VOW; 12-02-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:51 AM

They wear out? Who knew? I've been using the same lights for about 16 years now. Just cheapies I got at Walmart on half-price the day after Christmas.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:34 PM

Are there any exterior Chrismas lights that last anymore?

Yes, but I had to make the damn things myself. Bought C7 LED bulbs, sockets and wire and assembled a long string that's lasted 4 years now.

I was getting very tired of trying to diagnose and fix bad bulbs. Plus, I got the colors and exact spacing of lights that I wanted.

Last edited by Mind's Eye, Watering; 12-02-2019 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
They wear out? Who knew? I've been using the same lights for about 16 years now. Just cheapies I got at Walmart on half-price the day after Christmas.
Walmart lights have crapped out on me, same with Home Depot. Looking around town all I ever found was the same manufacturer brand being sold, so I don't know what to do.

I may give the 1000 Bulb people a try. All I want is 100' of colored lights that last!