Old 12-03-2019, 04:15 PM

Brilliant new tool for opening cans of PVC cement.

If you do any plumbing with PVC pipes you know how hard it can be to open those cans of the cement. Especially if they have been already opened as some glue always seems to get on the threads.

A pair of channel locks works pretty well but you have to be careful and not squeeze too hard or you can dent the lid. There are many articles and videos on the Internet showing different ways to get them open. Don't even think about griping them in a vise.

Ta-da! Introducing the EZ-Twist Can Opener by Weld-On. This really cool. It is very well built - the toothed strap fits tightly and perfectly onto the serrated lid. Nice invention, probably only costs 20 cents in incremental manufacturing costs and makes a huge profit for Weld-On. I'm surprised Oatey didn't get the rights to manufacture it. Now I just have to keep from losing it. I think I will leave it right on one of the cans. Dennis

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Weld-On-...4550/300454407
Old 12-03-2019, 04:24 PM

I wonder if this would work for other (often larger) lids around the kitchen?

I lost a bone in my hand (well, huh, it was right here the other day...) and opening cans and jars is tough.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

I saw that a few weeks ago. I thought about it, but it's rare for me to be doing something involving plumbing and not having a large enough channel locks nearby to crack them open.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post

I lost a bone in my hand (well, huh, it was right here the other day...) and opening cans and jars is tough.
What you need is an under cabinet jar opener.

I have silicone oven mitts that usually do a good job of grabbing lids.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post

I have this and it opens everything from soda pop bottles to wide mouth jars.

It does have one problem - one edge is toothed, and I had it cut through a particularly thin metal top on a bottle of cheap wine. Which probably tells you more about how cheap the wine was than the lid opener
Old 12-03-2019, 05:18 PM

I have a Swing-a-Way opener. It works quite well for most jars.

I got my mother a Black & Decker motorized opener. It worked well for her until she was no longer able to remember how to operate it. It requires literally zero hand strength since the motor does the work. But it's quite expensive.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:22 PM

It's been my experience that those cans of PVC glue are basically 'single-use'. Every damn time I need some, I open the can (one that was previously open) and they are dry as a bone in the Sahara.

Nice tool, but it wouldn't get used much. Maybe if I was a landscaper.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixdenny View Post
If you do any plumbing with PVC pipes you know how hard it can be to open those cans of the cement. Especially if they have been already opened as some glue always seems to get on the threads.

A pair of channel locks works pretty well but you have to be careful and not squeeze too hard or you can dent the lid. There are many articles and videos on the Internet showing different ways to get them open. Don't even think about griping them in a vise.

Ta-da! Introducing the EZ-Twist Can Opener by Weld-On. This really cool. It is very well built - the toothed strap fits tightly and perfectly onto the serrated lid. Nice invention, probably only costs 20 cents in incremental manufacturing costs and makes a huge profit for Weld-On. I'm surprised Oatey didn't get the rights to manufacture it. Now I just have to keep from losing it. I think I will leave it right on one of the cans. Dennis

Now if someone could come up with a tool to open those damnable press-down-and-squeeze-while-turning lids on things like acetone cans. Fucking hell, man! I've had to resort to lightly clamping the can in a vise, then applying downward pressure with one hand while using channelocks to grip and turn the lid. Once open, I never completely close it again, or I dump it all into a glass jar.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Now if someone could come up with a tool to open those damnable press-down-and-squeeze-while-turning lids on things like acetone cans. Fucking hell, man! I've had to resort to lightly clamping the can in a vise, then applying downward pressure with one hand while using channelocks to grip and turn the lid. Once open, I never completely close it again, or I dump it all into a glass jar.
Press and screw I can handle. It's turn and pry that give me a hard time. I usually just get in there with a screwdriver pry it off...no turning required.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:22 PM

I use a pipe wrench to open them. Just have to make sure the teeth are oriented for CCW loosening.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
Press and screw I can handle. It's turn and pry that give me a hard time. I usually just get in there with a screwdriver pry it off...no turning required.
Yeah, those suck too. Brute force is the only answer.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:59 PM

I've given up on a turn and pry and just pop it up with a screwdriver.

Dennis
Old 12-04-2019, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've given up on a turn and pry and just pop it up with a screwdriver.

Dennis
See my previous comment.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:16 PM

I wonder where they got that idea?

(Mom's favorite kitchen tool)

Last edited by beowulff; 12-04-2019 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Ta-da! Introducing the EZ-Twist Can Opener by Weld-On.....<snip>.

So,....it's a less effective and less versatile replacement for a common STRAP WRENCH.

I suppose you can make the argument that this dedicated gizmo is perfectly adapted for a very specific function. A good strap wrench will do this just as well while probably offering more leverage and do a thousand other odd turning jobs.

Hard pass.

Last edited by Alpha Twit; 12-04-2019 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff View Post
I wonder where they got that idea?

(Mom's favorite kitchen tool)
We had one of those when I was a kid and its the first thing I thought of after reading OP. I worked great but I haven't seen on since.