Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-14-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda JO View Post
I am not a crier--and in all honesty, I think that's because my whole life I've worked really hard not to because I think of crying as feminine and weak, and okay for "normal" girls but I'm not "like normal girls", I'm tougher, like a man. That idea--that masculine is better than feminine, and that masculine involves extreme emotional control--is an example of internalized standards of toxic masculinity.
It's been a long time since I've cried five times in a year, let alone in a month.

But it's funny. When I'm telling other women tales about my various adventures, I tend to perpetrate like I cry all the time. I even simulate crying to make whomever I'm talking to laugh as I'm telling a story. It has been my experience that most women tend to find humor in crying jags. Especially hormone-induced crying jags.

But I don't do this when I'm talking to guys. Probably because I want to be the "cool chick". Cool chicks don't cry. They make fun of women who cry.

(I once "shamed" a female coworker for crying at her desk when Heath Leather died. I'm glad she didn't return the favor when I did the same over Prince's death.)