Old 03-25-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
I'm beginning to hear that Flynn cut a deal with the FBI

https://twitter.com/juliettekayyem/s...73079611187204
That boom you hear is the roof caving in.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:35 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
I see what you did there,
Purely unintentionally but a fortuitous turn.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:24 PM

The "fine-tuned machine" just keeps humming along.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:21 PM
Charter Jays Fan

According to sources, designated toad Steve Bannon told GOP legislators they "had no choice" but to vote for the AHCA.

Apparently their reaction was "Who the fuck are you?"
Old 03-25-2017, 07:39 PM

I am beginning to think that you will have to start playing Yackety Sax instead of Heil to the Chief when his Orangeness enters a room.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
According to sources, designated toad Steve Bannon told GOP legislators they "had no choice" but to vote for the AHCA.

Apparently their reaction was "Who the fuck are you?"
The quote I heard was from a Congressman (don't feel like looking up who), "Sounds like you're trying to tell us what to do. Last time someone told me what to do, I was 18, and it was my dad. And I didn't listen then either."
Old 03-25-2017, 08:14 PM
Experimental FOC Test Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
The quote I heard was from a Congressman (don't feel like looking up who), "Sounds like you're trying to tell us what to do. Last time someone told me what to do, I was 18, and it was my dad. And I didn't listen then either."
If that quote came from a republican congressman, I would be impressed.
I don't believe it.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steatopygia View Post
If that quote came from a republican congressman, I would be impressed.
I don't believe it.
Doesn't say who:

http://thehill.com/homenews/325767-r...-vote-for-bill

ETA: I hope Flynn sings like a canary.

Last edited by raventhief; 03-25-2017 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:08 PM

I'm getting all of these threads mixed up. I read somewhere today in one of them (maybe this one) that Ryan's wife is a Democrat and a big donor to Democrat causes--is that right? If so, I'd love to have eavesdropped on last night's pillow talk. If there was any. Why can't Wikileaks release interesting stuff like that??
Old 03-25-2017, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

This morning, Twidiot tweets:

"Watch @JudgeJeanine on @FoxNews tonight at 9:00 P.M."

Jeanine Pirro opens with this:

"Paul Ryan needs to step down as Speaker of the House."
Old 03-25-2017, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

The following people have volunteered to speak to committees about Russia:

Roger Stone
Carter Page
Paul Manafort

The following has gone dark, and when asked if he is cooperating with the FBI, their spokesperson said "He is not responding". Not denying. Not confirming. Just... not responding.

Michael Flynn.

Last edited by JohnT; 03-25-2017 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

They could be planning to take all the blame themselves to protect Trump. Too early to tell.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
This morning, Twidiot tweets:

"Watch @JudgeJeanine on @FoxNews tonight at 9:00 P.M."

Jeanine Pirro opens with this:

"Paul Ryan needs to step down as Speaker of the House."
A Ryan-Trump power struggle would be good fun, if for no other reason than that it would distract both of them from their chuckleheaded agendas.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin: "Trump has perfect genes."
Wow. The parallels between the Trumpism of the short-fingered man and the propaganda of the man with the moustache increase. Soon I suppose they'll mention his Teutonic ancestry: "The Donald's great-grandfather, Christian Johannes Drumpf, hails from ...the state of Rhineland-Palatinate." (And that Christian Drumpf was no Jew, I guess, given his Christian name.)

BTW, Trump's grandmother had the surname Christ! I suppose this will become a thing too.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaper View Post
They could be planning to take all the blame themselves to protect Trump. Too early to tell.
Nobody is going to fall on their sword for Donald Trump. Loyalty is a quality he neither inspires nor rewards. In all likelihood Trump did not have direct contact with Russian agents discussing altering the elections. (I sure as fuck wouldn't try to recruit Trump himself; he just can't keep his fucking mouth shut.) More likely they're pondering a "Prisoner's Delimna" and weighing how much they can admit to and still get immunity for prosecution for testifying.

Stranger
Old 03-25-2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raventhief View Post
Doesn't say who:

http://thehill.com/homenews/325767-r...-vote-for-bill

Thanks. I googled the quote and it wasn't in the first 10 hits. Man I'm lazy.

The story in thehill quotes a story on Axios which doesn't name a source.

It just sounds like something a braggart would claim to have said when telling a story.

I can see McCain saying it but, these other guys seem neither quick-witted or brave enough.

Once again, thank you.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaper View Post
When the Flynn story first broke, it looked to me like they were trying to protect Pence not Trump.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raventhief View Post
He's a fabulist. Whatever he says may be unreliable.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:53 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steatopygia View Post
Thanks. I googled the quote and it wasn't in the first 10 hits. Man I'm lazy.

The story in thehill quotes a story on Axios which doesn't name a source.

It just sounds like something a braggart would claim to have said when telling a story.

I can see McCain saying it but, these other guys seem neither quick-witted or brave enough.

Once again, thank you.
I've only seen informed speculation with disclaimers from Juliette Kayyem and Seth Abramson. Just their interpretation of the fact that public testimony before Congress is expected from Manafort, Page and Stone next week, but we aren't hearing anything from Flynn. Also when a spokesperson of his was asked directly about it, the response was "no comment" rather than just "no".
Old 03-26-2017, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post
..... (I sure as fuck wouldn't try to recruit Trump himself; he just can't keep his fucking mouth shut.)...
Double this. Not guilty by reason of stupid.

Weirder.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:37 AM

Quote:
I can't speak to the morality–frankly, it is difficult to see how a nuclear weapon could be used that would not be definitionally immoral–but the President has plenary authority over the use of nuclear weapons. He doesn't have to ask Congress for permission, he doesn't need a verified attack on the United States by a foreign power, and he isn't required to justify his order. The order is merely verified by someone confirmed by a full vote of the Senate–generally taken to be the Secretary of Defense, but it could be any member of the Cabinet, or even Congressionally approved heads of major agencies–and all verification means is that the order comes directly from the President, and he is not under duress and is in command of his faculties. Alex Wellerstein spells this out and the rationale behind it in his Washington Post monograph, "No one can stop President Trump from using nuclear weapons. That’s by design."

Stranger
Nobody is denying that there is a confirmation protocol in place to verify that Trump, in this hypothetical, had issued the order. I just don't see an American military officer carrying out such an order.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Nobody is denying that there is a confirmation protocol in place to verify that Trump, in this hypothetical, had issued the order. I just don't see an American military officer carrying out such an order.
I hope to christ you're because I can see a frustrated, angry, and anf frightened Trump issuing such orders at the slightest provocation like the infantile paranoid narcissist he is and being egged on by raging assholes like Steve Bannon and apocalyptic fundamentalists like Betsy DeVos. Relying on individual personalities rather than a robust system of protocols and independent authorizations from multiple sources is not very comforting when it comes to the application of weapoms that can reduce entire nations to lifeless wastelands with no more consideration than a single chain of launch orders and than a few tens of minutes of flight time.

Stranger
Old 03-26-2017, 07:51 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Why not? Following orders to conduct war is their job. This isn't the movies.

Last edited by RickJay; 03-26-2017 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
I hope to christ you're because I can see a frustrated, angry, and anf frightened Trump issuing such orders at the slightest provocation like the infantile paranoid narcissist he is and being egged on by raging assholes like Steve Bannon and apocalyptic fundamentalists like Betsy DeVos. Relying on individual personalities rather than a robust system of protocols and independent authorizations from multiple sources is not very comforting when it comes to the application of weapoms that can reduce entire nations to lifeless wastelands with no more consideration than a single chain of launch orders and than a few tens of minutes of flight time.

Stranger
I think Ivanka and Jarred would have a moderating influence on Trump. I doubt he trusts anyone, including Bannon, more than his own kids. I just hope they're not off on a ski vacation at the time.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

And when you're reduced to saying "I hope his kids show up before granddad goes off again", that's not a strong reassurance on this subject.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:25 AM

"The Ass-Clown Cometh: A Story of Apocalyptic Revelation in a Single Thirty-Minute Act."

Stranger
Old 03-26-2017, 08:28 AM

As I've often said, the man's not fit to shovel shit from one place to another. As such, I doubt very much he's even competent enough to start a war. I have serious doubts about whether the people at the helm of the nuclear arsenal are going to follow orders from this fucking orange buffoon.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
I think Ivanka and Jarred would have a moderating influence on Trump. I doubt he trusts anyone, including Bannon, more than his own kids. I just hope they're not off on a ski vacation at the time.
In normal administrations the Secretary of Education is lucky to get a meeting with the President. If Betsy DeVos is egging on the president to start a nuclear war, well, that would be extraordinary. But then...so is everything else this year.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Why not? Following orders to conduct war is their job. This isn't the movies.
Because this isn't the movies and blindly following orders is not their job.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

If Flynn flipped, it's because of the kidnapping thing. That is a charge the FBI takes very seriously.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:40 AM

Actually, following orders is job of military officers (particularly true of the missileer corps, who are drilled to mind-numbing degree to follow through on orders to launch weapons of mass destruction without consideration for the consequences) and failing to follow an order just because an officer doesn't consider it to be moral is essentially a guarantee of court-martial, likely resulting in termination of career.

The presumption in our command and control system for strategic deterrence is that at the executive level the National Command Authority (the President, Secretary of Defense, and other advisors) are rational actors who will behave with prudence and responsibility for the citizenry of the United States and with compassion for humanity overall. When dealing with a narcissitic man-child like Donald Trump who has surrounded himself with adorators, conspiracy theorists, and apocalyptors, the notion of some kind of informal checks and balances that would be present in a normal adult presidency is no longer guaranteed. Would the Secretary of Defense or the commander of Global Strike Command refuse to validate or contravene those orders at peril to prosecution or threat? I sure hope they have that courage and conviction to make the right decision regardless of personal consequences (and sufficient knowledge to distinguish between reflexive paranoia and a legitimate respond to threat). But that is not some assurance built into the system; that is a single individual acting from personal conviction to forestall action resulting in the deaths of millions of people.

You may wish that this is not true or believe that no one in their heart of hearts would ever carry out such an order, but in the system we have today it is factually true that the President of the United States could issue a completely arbitrary order to launch a nuclear strike and there is no law, procedure, or authority that can legitimately countermand it. And this authority is now invested in an ignorant, self-absorbed, thin skinned narcissitic Internet troll whose chief advisors are conspiracy theoriests, religious fundamentalists, and exploitative investment bankers and hedge fund managers. The notion of morality and compassion saving the world from an unjustified attack is not well supported by the available evidence.

Stranger

Last edited by Stranger On A Train; 03-26-2017 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
If Flynn flipped, it's because of the kidnapping thing. That is a charge the FBI takes very seriously.
Maybe the phrase "in like Flynn" will soon have a new life with a different meaning.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Nobody is going to fall on their sword for Donald Trump. Loyalty is a quality he neither inspires nor rewards. In all likelihood Trump did not have direct contact with Russian agents discussing altering the elections. (I sure as fuck wouldn't try to recruit Trump himself; he just can't keep his fucking mouth shut.)

Stranger
Yeah, if Trump was in on it he'd probably do something stupid like going on national TV in front of millions of Americans and instructing Russia to damage the Clinton campaign. Then when Russia actually did what he asked them to do it was just a big coincidence. Of course

Its like they thought if they followed the same rules that SuperPacs use to avoid coordinating with candidates that they would be in the clear.

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 03-26-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:19 PM

The Times is reporting that Trump gave Merkel a huge bill for the US defending Germany under NATO. The Times is saying it was $300 billion pounds, I don't know what this is in dollars or Euros.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:22 PM

Don't worry. Neither does Trump.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
The Times is reporting that Trump gave Merkel a huge bill for the US defending Germany under NATO. The Times is saying it was $300 billion pounds, I don't know what this is in dollars or Euros.
That explains the friendly visit and the warm exchange at the photo op.

Worthless orange jackass.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:25 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
The Times is saying it was $300 billion pounds, I don't know what this is in dollars or Euros.
$375 billion dollars, 345 billion euros.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayard View Post
A Ryan-Trump power struggle would be good fun, if for no other reason than that it would distract both of them from their chuckleheaded agendas.
Pirros husband is a notoriously sleazy and philandering real estate lawyer that has close ties to Trump. Of course, she wouldn't see fit to mention that.

Her hubby is so corrupt he wrecked her burgeoning political career so she decided since she couldn't be a real judge anymore she'd play one on TV. OK, she was a prosecutor, not a judge but it's a good punch line.

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 03-26-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:16 PM
Elephant Whisperer

CNN is reporting a man has been beaten at a pro-Trump rally in California. I wonder if the town name was Nuremberg.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:15 PM

Don't you libtards get tired of mocking our Dear Leader? If you watched Real News, you'd know he just defeated the judges and terrorists opposing him!
Old 03-26-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post

Not really, no. The only thing Trump has made great again is Saturday Night Live.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:12 AM

Has this dingleberry Nunes been roundly excoriated enough around here yet?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ce-devin-nunes

Quote:
Nunes’ Tuesday night foray to see possibly critical documents, his failure to share those documents with the committee, his decision to brief the president instead, and his abrupt cancellation of Tuesday’s hearing have all raised questions over whether the intelligence committee under his chairmanship can continue its inquiry into reported Russian intervention in the 2016 election with any credibility.
Nunes put off tomorrow's hearing to confer with Comey and National Security Agency director, Michael Rogers, but I've yet to find anywhere else on dese intrawebs to support the credibility of such a claim, so until someone can substantiate more on Nunes's weaseling out of the situation, I'll just simply conclude that, well, yeah - he's weaseling out of the situation. (or, trying to somehow scuttle this whole thing into a non-issue)

So if Nunes needs to so hightail the fuck outa there, can we really rely on a bipartisan congressional selection of a truly independent inquiry into this, then?
Old 03-27-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
I'm not tired of winning yet. Trumplethinskin said we would get tired of winning so much - guess he lied again.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
I'm not tired of winning yet. Trumplethinskin said we would get tired of winning so much - guess he lied again.
Wasn't it tired of whining ?
Old 03-27-2017, 01:20 PM

Fox News: Breaking news! POTUS doesn't spend entire weekend at golf course!
TIME: Actually, he spent it at a Virginia golf course instead of a Florida golf course.
White House: He just finished up some Presidential meetings this morning.
Reporter: Really? Here are photos of him watching golf the past hour.

Cite

Last edited by Punoqllads; 03-27-2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

One of these days, Spicer is going to turn into Neidermeyer shouting "All is well!" only to be trampled by the panicked crowd.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
One of these days, Spicer is going to turn into Neidermeyer shouting "All is well!" only to be trampled by the panicked crowd.
That wasn't Niedermeyer, it was Chip Diller (Kevin Bacon). We can't let the SDMB be a source of fake news.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:06 PM

Salon is reporting that the most recent continuing resolution on funding expires on April 29. In order to keep the government running, Congress is going to have to pass a complete budget, or pass a continuing resolution. But, as usual, the Freedom Caucus is opposed to any continuing resolutions. So the House Republicans are reaching out to moderate Democrats and the Black Caucus to keep the government from shutting down.
http://www.salon.com/2017/03/27/repu...le-to-stop-it/
Old 03-27-2017, 02:09 PM

Trump's administration decides to shelve some pesky coal mine safety rules. They just get in the way of profits, right?

Quote:
Longtime safety experts say they are shocked at the scope of the proposals that will seemingly void violations that traditionally carry stiff monetary penalties.

“It’s breathtaking in its scope,” said Davitt McAteer, who served as assistant secretary of the U.S. Mine Safety and Health Administration during the Clinton administration.

McAteer, an internationally recognized expert on mine safety, led a team that pushed for strengthening West Virginia’s mine safety efforts following the death of 29 miners after a coal dust explosion at Massey Energy’s Upper Big Branch Mine in Montcoal in 2010.
Poor Trump supporters who voted for him. Now they get more dangerous working conditions. But hey, soon the mandatory coal-burning cars will be on the market, and they'll be in great shape. As long as the mine does not explode and kill them.

Soon the Trump idiots will get rid of that horrible rule that stops coal mining companies from dumping coal-mining debris into nearby streams. I mean, what could possibly be bad about dumping coal-mining debris into streams, right?
Old 03-27-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
In order to keep the government running
The government is running?