Old 04-02-2019, 10:26 AM

Book on Trump's golf cheating

Not only does he move his own ball against the rules but he also moves the balls of other people to win. He once "won" a tournament when he was in another state.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...p-golf-816324/
Old 04-02-2019, 10:45 AM

Thank you but I didn't need a book to come out about it to tell me that the Mango Mistake is a con man and a CHEAT (among many other undesirable things).
Old 04-02-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Not only does he move his own ball against the rules but he also moves the balls of other people to win. ...
You know what's weird? I've never seen a picture of that joker with a black eye or a broken nose. Weird.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
You know what's weird? I've never seen a picture of that joker with a black eye or a broken nose. Weird.
He has all the attributes of someone who would have sported black eyes and a broken nose often in the neighborhood I grew up in: he's a big-mouth, bully, and a coward.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:22 AM

This is just the break that the Hillary campaign has been waiting for!
Old 04-02-2019, 11:28 AM

He still can't beat Kim Jong Il's record.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:48 AM

Worth noting that Trump is apparently genuinely a good golfer (which I guess is unsurprising given how much he plays). He just wants to be known as an amazing one.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Heh. I lunched with a bunch of golfers yesterday and they were talking about this. Given that the linked article was published afterwards (I'm in the UK) I expect they had found an earlier article elsewhere. And they confirmed the veracity of some of his 'techniques'.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:57 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

What this book will do is convince Republicans that Trump will do what it takes to win, and that is the only thing that matters to them.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:04 PM

also today Trump birthered his father - said his father was born in Germany when in was born in NYC.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

A businessman who cheats at golf??????????????

Well, I never. . .
Old 04-02-2019, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
This is just the break that the Hillary campaign has been waiting for!
A joke that never gets old. Like a stillborn infant, but not quite as funny.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:49 PM

Heard some guy talking about how often Trump will kick his golf ball out of the ruff and onto the fairway. He was nicknamed "Pele" by people who golf with him.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:09 PM

The more interesting question is whether there's a verifiable instance that anyone can cite where Trump has -- at any time in his life -- ever demonstrated any integrity whatsoever. For example, has there ever been a verified instance where he actually told the truth when a lie would have sounded better? I don't know of even any trivial example of Trump showing integrity and I doubt that any exist.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:16 PM

his friend "John Miller" used to tell the truth when he called into radio shows
Old 04-02-2019, 05:45 PM

Yeah, that John Miller guy really liked Trump a lot!

However, Trump has settled this matter with all the sterling integrity of someone fishing a golf ball out of his pocket when no one is looking and discreetly placing it on the green twelve inches from the hole:
"It was not me on the phone," Trump told NBC's "Today" show when the recording was played for him during a live interview. "And it doesn't sound like me on the phone, I'll tell you that, and it was not me on the phone."
https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/13/polit...ess/index.html
Coming from such an unimpeachable source (who may soon be impeached) I guess that settles it! Trump not only confirmed that it was not him on the phone, he said it twice. John Miller had a habit of repeating himself like that, too.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:07 PM

Never be repetitious and redundant.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:16 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Heh. I lunched with a bunch of golfers yesterday and they were talking about this. Given that the linked article was published afterwards (I'm in the UK) I expect they had found an earlier article elsewhere. And they confirmed the veracity of some of his 'techniques'.
Yeah, I remember reading at least one article during the 2016 campaign in which the writer had talked with a number of people who had played with Trump, and gave similar stories of frequent and unabashed cheating.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
A joke that never gets old. Like a stillborn infant, but not quite as funny.
This is just the joke Andrew "Dice" Clay's career has been waiting for!
Old 04-02-2019, 10:13 PM

I feel like this sort of thing hits both ways. It fires up the anti-Trump base, but at the same time appears extremely petty to the unfaithful.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Worth noting that Trump is apparently genuinely a good golfer (which I guess is unsurprising given how much he plays).
There is no evidence that he's a good golfer. He is known to cheat and not count every stroke and penalty. I'm not a particularly good golfer. I shoot around 105 for 18 holes. If I improved my lie once per hole and knocked off a stroke per hole I might be able to shoot in the 70s but I still wouldn't be a good golfer.

It's like how it's taken at face value that actor James Woods is really smart and has a huge penis. There's no evidence for either of those "facts" either. I imagine that Woods himself promulgated those rumors. Coincidentally, he's a Trump supporter.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Gusterson View Post
There is no evidence that he's a good golfer. He is known to cheat and not count every stroke and penalty.
E-X-A-C-T-L-Y

Quote:
It's like how it's taken at face value that actor James Woods is really smart and has a huge penis. There's no evidence for either of those "facts" either. I imagine that Woods himself promulgated those rumors. Coincidentally, he's a Trump supporter.
OmG - that is hiLARious!
Old 04-03-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
There is no evidence that he's a good golfer. He is known to cheat and not count every stroke and penalty. I'm not a particularly good golfer. I shoot around 105 for 18 holes. If I improved my lie once per hole and knocked off a stroke per hole I might be able to shoot in the 70s but I still wouldn't be a good golfer.
There is evidence that he's a good golfer. Just about everyone that plays with him says that he's a good golfer, especially for his age. He hits the ball well. He putts well. He also cheats. Just about everyone that plays with him says that he's a cheater. The people that have played with him estimate his handicap to be around 9 instead of the ridiculous 2.8 that he claims. A 9 handicapper is a good golfer. Not a tour player but still a good golfer.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:43 AM

golf even at the pro level does not really use referees at most tournaments like other sports. The tradition is you are supposed to report your own rule violations. At the end of the round you sign your scorecard and if that score is wrong you are disqualified. There was a case where a guy signed for a score 1 shot higher than his actual score and he lost out on winning a tournament.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Fabricating a giant schlong out of whole cloth seems like a dangerous gambit— unlike intelligence, it can be objectively measured with a glance, and only takes one pissed-off Stormy Daniels to publicly zap the magic out of the mushroom. One would either need to assemble a fanatical base eager to believe that the sky is plaid and an inchworm is a reticulated python, or demand a signed non-disclosure agreement as a prerequisite to every dropping of trou.

(Then again, Trump did both and yet somehow we still know that he's swinging at best a shiitake.)

Last edited by Vinyl Turnip; 04-03-2019 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:49 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nars Glinley View Post
There is evidence that he's a good golfer. Just about everyone that plays with him says that he's a good golfer, especially for his age.
Just about everyone that plays with him wants to stay on his good side. To find out how good a golfer he really is we would need to see a number of games on different courses where he didn't cheat.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:01 AM

Of course he cheats. Trump has never encountered a level playing field.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Just about everyone that plays with him wants to stay on his good side. To find out how good a golfer he really is we would need to see a number of games on different courses where he didn't cheat.
Here you go.

He also cheats at cards.

Seriously, I’m actually kind of surprised he hasn’t referred to Kim Jong-un as “Oddjob” at this point.

Stranger
Old 04-03-2019, 10:31 AM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nars Glinley View Post
He still can't beat Kim Jong Il's record.
Trump isn't in the same league as KJI or his family wrt telling whoppers or cheating. Hell, Trump can't even dream of being in the same league as they are. IIRC, first time KJI played he got an 18...18 holes in one. Then he got bored, being god like and having no where to go from there (well, I guess he could hit the balls so hard that they break into pieces, each piece falling into a different hole on the course, thus he could shoot for a 9 or maybe even better I suppose).

I'm militantly unsurprised that Trump cheats at golf. Why would he make an exception in this case, since he cheats at everything?

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
Old 04-03-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
He has occasionally played actual tournaments with observers and cameras and no opportunity to cheat. And he plays like a man with a 9-10 handicap, which is a good level of skill but not good enough to be competitive against other skilled golfers.

My father-in-law used to play a solid 7 handicap (before his knees went). It's definitely "skilled amateur" territory and he used to win the occasional tournament at his local club, but he wouldn't have won at the big clubs either.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The article observed that Trump's "wins" occur on courses he owns and where the caddies work for him. On neutral courses (or where he's playing on camera) his score drops.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
I feel like this sort of thing hits both ways. It fires up the anti-Trump base, but at the same time appears extremely petty to the unfaithful.
Nice bit of insinuation, there! Implying that the people who despise a lying, narcissistic, shit-for-brains lout are the "faithful", guided by unsupported opinions based on gullibility. Which implies that Trump supporters are moved by reason and facts, as compared to blind faith.

Not bad!
Old 04-03-2019, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

I'm just speculating here but I think Trump believes he really is winning these games. Not because he's playing the best golf. He's winning because he's created a situation where he controls the rules and is able to use his power to determine the outcome. So Trump wins at golf the way that Lyndon Johnson won at Senate votes.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I'm just speculating here but I think Trump believes he really is winning these games. Not because he's playing the best golf. He's winning because he's created a situation where he controls the rules and is able to use his power to determine the outcome. So Trump wins at golf the way that Lyndon Johnson won at Senate votes.
It's also possible he sincerely believes (to whatever superficial level he's thought about it at all) that everyone else is cheating, too, in exactly the same way, so it's like he won.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:18 PM

the book author has challenged Trump to a game for $100k for charity. He requests they not play at a Trump course and that they have people watching for cheating. No way Trump agrees to that
Old 04-03-2019, 12:31 PM

No, Trump is a bullshitter and cheating at golf is merely acted out bullshit. Golf does seem to bring that out in people though.

Can't remember what it was called but I watched some show about Trump centered around his renovation of a golf course. It showed to me that he was a pretty decent golfer and a bit of a dick/cheater. But he didn't even hide it, he's talking to the camera about what he's doing. He just calls it "I'm gonna mess with them", so he let's the audience in on the "joke" though I don't recall him letting his opponents in on it.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
the book author has challenged Trump to a game for $100k for charity. ... No way Trump agrees to that
Trump. Charity. Now THAT'S a side-splitter!
Old 04-03-2019, 01:10 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
The article observed that Trump's "wins" occur on courses he owns and where the caddies work for him. On neutral courses (or where he's playing on camera) his score drops.
Climbs.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
Uh, you're saying that the so-called "unfaithful" (i.e., Trump supporters) have something against pettiness? Since when?

Remember, these are the people who cheer Trump for using spiteful little nicknames for his political rivals and constantly calling media organizations he doesn't like "failing". They really don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to complaining about "pettiness" in other people.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:20 PM

The [url="http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/apr/02/donald-trump-golf-28-club-championships"]Guardian's extract.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
They really don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to complaining about "pettiness" in other people.
That's the point. It's not about fairness or equality. It's about privilege.

Trump doesn't think everyone should be allowed to cheat. He thinks he should be allowed to cheat while everyone else is handicapped by playing by the rules. He feels he should have an advantage because he's a powerful person.

Trump followers believe that if they support Trump, they're joining the winning side. Some of Trump's power will rub off on them. And they will be able to push people around in their lives like Trump pushes people around in his life.

Trump knows this is nonsense. He takes power from his supporters; he doesn't give it away to them.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:

Trump doesn't think everyone should be allowed to cheat. He thinks he should be allowed to cheat while everyone else is handicapped by playing by the rules.
Case in point from the Guardian article linked to above

Quote:
We do know that Trump played in the 2007 Westchester Men’s Club Championship and was knocked out in the first round by a 15-year-old named Adam Levin. Trump was four-up with five holes to play, helped greatly by the 60-year-old calling two ticky-tack rule violations on the kid, one for accidentally touching the grass inside a hazard and one for fixing a small ball mark off the green, both loss-of-hole penalties.
Who the hell calls niggling technical fouls on an 15 year old kid. Oh, our president, that's who.

Last edited by Buck Godot; 04-04-2019 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Trump followers believe that if they support Trump, they're joining the winning side. Some of Trump's power will rub off on them. And they will be able to push people around in their lives like Trump pushes people around in his life.
AND when they win the lottery, they'll pay hardly any taxes!
Old 04-06-2019, 09:25 AM

I'm afraid that I made a Trump out of myself: after dismissing the need for me to buy that book earlier in this thread I went and bought it yesterday. Ricky Reilly does a great job of describing how much DJT lies and I believe every single word of what he writes because except to people who still defend him it's pretty obvious what kind of "character" DJT possesses.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Worth noting that Trump is apparently genuinely a good golfer (which I guess is unsurprising given how much he plays). He just wants to be known as an amazing one.
How would anyone know if he's a good golfer since he doesn't appear to have ever played an honest round in his entire life?
Old 04-26-2019, 10:34 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepug View Post
How would anyone know if he's a good golfer since he doesn't appear to have ever played an honest round in his entire life?
I'd suspect that anyone who's played with him would recognize that he has some talent at the game, as Nars Ginley noted above -- and by "good golfer," I'd expect that they mean that he hits the ball pretty well, doesn't get the ball into trouble particularly often, putts reasonably well, etc. No amount of cheating would hide being completely incompetent at the game, especially if you're on the course with people who are, in fact, good at the game. Cheating won't hide an inability to hit the ball more than 100 yards, slicing every shot, not being able to sink a 10-foot putt, etc.

One can be pretty good, in that way, but still not be likely to win matches (especially because "a good 70 year old golfer" is still 70, and isn't going to be able to play a competitive match against better / younger golfers), and that's where the petty cheating comes into play.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 04-26-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Trump doesn't think everyone should be allowed to cheat. He thinks he should be allowed to cheat while everyone else is handicapped by playing by the rules. He feels he should have an advantage because he's a powerful person.

Trump knows this is nonsense. He takes power from his supporters; he doesn't give it away to them.
Huh. I always thought that they felt he would give them some of his money and/or let them sleep with his hot wife.

Ignorance fought, I guess.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepug View Post
Think you could beat Lance Armstrong in an honest bike race?
Old 04-28-2019, 01:15 PM

Here’s an old Golf magazine article on Trump and the sport.

https://www.golf.com/tour-news/2017/...omplicated-now

It’s well written piece and insightful. I remembered it from a few years ago. And, of course, he cheats. 18 people that played with him say so.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:36 PM

I guess Eisenhower and Trump were the most skilled golfers?

Clinton plays but I don't think he ever devoted a lot of time practicing.