Old 06-06-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
I also put salt and pepper on my corn on the cob. I'd seen my dad do it for decades but it looked like too much work for me and in addition salt is bad for you mkay? But then I tried it and it makes it taste amazing, so now I am a confirmed salter.
Butter and salt and sometimes pepper. Isn't that the usual way to eat corn on the cob?
Old 06-06-2019, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Butter yes. Up until a decade or so ago I had never tried salt or pepper on CotC!
Old 06-06-2019, 07:53 PM

Yes, totally! Many of my favorite "recipes" involve nothing more than garden-fresh produce and a salt shaker.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:59 PM

my aunt will put salt on her watermelon occasionally ....she tried a chunk first to see is she needs it
Old 06-06-2019, 08:06 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey77 View Post
Yes, totally! Many of my favorite "recipes" involve nothing more than garden-fresh produce and a salt shaker.
Try a dash of olive oil and a squirt of fresh lemon juice.

The Greeks have been doing it for thousands of years, and they’re onto something.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:42 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Butter and salt and sometimes pepper. Isn't that the usual way to eat corn on the cob?
Try lime juice and a bit of cayenne.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Or just shake on some TaJin:

https://www.tajin.com/
Old 06-06-2019, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Mexican street fair style: a squeeze of lime, a dab of mayonnaise, a few shakes of chili powder, and a sprinkling of grated romano cheese.

(No, I don't know how romano cheese became a Mexican street fair thing... it may in fact be a substitution. Anyway, try it once. Especially on roasted corn which is better than boiled corn)
Old 06-06-2019, 10:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
Mexican street fair style: a squeeze of lime, a dab of mayonnaise, a few shakes of chili powder, and a sprinkling of grated romano cheese.

(No, I don't know how romano cheese became a Mexican street fair thing... it may in fact be a substitution. Anyway, try it once. Especially on roasted corn which is better than boiled corn)
I’ve never had it with Romano. Here it’s cotija cheese (as I mentioned earlier in the thread in post 42.)

Last edited by pulykamell; 06-06-2019 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:03 AM

I make elotes at home all the time. Usually with queso fresco cuz that's what's in the stores around here. I grill them with the mayo and chili powder, then cover 'em with lime and cheese hot off the grill.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I’ve never had it with Romano. Here it’s cotija cheese (as I mentioned earlier in the thread in post 42.)
Yeah, that makes more sense. I should be able to find cotija cheese locally, so I'll give the authentic version a try
Old 06-07-2019, 06:55 PM

I had never heard of anyone salting apples before but I had a plate of sliced Honey Crisps in front of me so I gave it a try. It was actually pretty good. Not sure if I will always do it but I was pleasantly surprised.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:55 AM

I was in my local cycle shop here in Canada yesterday and much to my surprise I spotted this:

https://www.clifbar.com/products/cli...ted-watermelon

Of course, I was compelled to try a pack. I'd be hard pressed to have identified it as salted watermelon, it was more just a generic fruity-sweet and salty taste. Not nearly as bad as I imagined.

Clearly not such an unusual combo as some might think.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
This. Salt enhances flavors. Nobody poo-poos salted caramel.
I do. Poo on salted caramel! Poo-poo, I say!
Old 06-13-2019, 02:35 PM

I don't like salted caramel, either. I'm sad that's a fad. Waste of good caramel, IMO.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Around here, the Mexican way is lime, hot pepper, mayonnaise, and cotija cheese. Now that's the best way to eat it!
I've had it that way. It's good... but no where near spicy enough, second best way .
Old 06-13-2019, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

I am surprised that no one has brought up Tajin for 'salted fruit'.

Quote:
Buttery corn, fresh watermelon, and frozen mango popsicles have one thing in common: they all taste better with a generous sprinkling of Tajín. Tajín is a seasoning salt that embodies the bold flavors of Mexican cuisine. It’s a simple mix of chile powder, salt, and dehydrated lime for a mouth-puckering kick and that is often used to perk up produce like pineapples and cucumbers or to rim drinks like micheladas and bloody marys.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:41 PM
One of Cecil's six friends
Charter Member

My father was from Utah, and he salted cantaloupe, but not watermelon. He put salt and pepper in buttermilk also.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:42 PM

I have previously stated my views on this topic. I have devoured three and a half sweet, luscious watermelons in the past two weeks. It's a benefit of living in south Georgia. So, in honor of this thread, I ate some watermelon with salt on it last night to see if my tastes have changed. They have NOT. Salt on watermelon still tastes really bad.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:46 PM

For those who say that salt is "bad for you", that's entirely a personal matter. Those with higher blood pressure should avoid excess salting of food, but if your blood pressure is normal to low, there is absolutely no problem with adding salt to your food. I have in fact been told by two different doctors to add salt to my food because my blood pressure is very low and I sometimes used to get light-headed standing up. Now that I put salt on all my vegetables, I still have pretty low blood pressure and don't have any light-headed problems. And they taste better.

As to melons, I really don't like any of them. Maybe I could try adding salt to them.