Old 05-19-2019, 01:58 PM

Easily the worst final three they’ve ever had — the third person voted out and two goats.

You could try to make a case for Gavin. He played a decent social game and had a knack for aligning with the right group when it came to voting. But that was pretty much it. He was a follower, a reactor, and didn’t build nearly the resume he thought he did. With the exception of Julie, I can’t think of anybody post-merge that he beats.

And Julie did less than nothing, strategically. She was on the wrong side of almost every vote, and was obviously kept alive simply as someone everybody wanted to sit next to in the end.

Chris played more game in 3 days than the other two did in 39. So, as ridiculous as the situation was, I think the jury made the least bad choice among three bad options.

Overall, the season was fairly entertaining due to a handful of the personalities involved, but far from their best. And the ending sucked.
I would hope the producers learn from this and try to keep such a terrible final three from happening again.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
Easily the worst final three they’ve ever had — the third person voted out and two goats.

You could try to make a case for Gavin. He played a decent social game and had a knack for aligning with the right group when it came to voting. But that was pretty much it. He was a follower, a reactor, and didn’t build nearly the resume he thought he did. With the exception of Julie, I can’t think of anybody post-merge that he beats.

And Julie did less than nothing, strategically. She was on the wrong side of almost every vote, and was obviously kept alive simply as someone everybody wanted to sit next to in the end.

Chris played more game in 3 days than the other two did in 39. So, as ridiculous as the situation was, I think the jury made the least bad choice among three bad options.

Overall, the season was fairly entertaining due to a handful of the personalities involved, but far from their best. And the ending sucked.
I would hope the producers learn from this and try to keep such a terrible final three from happening again.
Gavin was by no means a goat. Chris had to fight hard, and do tricks like hand his necklace to Julie (who was the goat, certainly) and go toe to toe with Rick in firemaking in order to beat gavin.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Perhaps a bottom three season. Snoozefest AND a return island. Horrible mix.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Gavin was by no means a goat. Chris had to fight hard, and do tricks like hand his necklace to Julie (who was the goat, certainly) and go toe to toe with Rick in firemaking in order to beat gavin.
I suppose “goat” is a relative term. But the only possible scenario in which I can envision Gavin having the slightest chance of winning is if he’s in the final three with Julie and the EoE returnee. That’s exactly what happened, and he still didn’t win. Seriously, who else could he have beaten?
Old 05-19-2019, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I suppose “goat” is a relative term. But the only possible scenario in which I can envision Gavin having the slightest chance of winning is if he’s in the final three with Julie and the EoE returnee. That’s exactly what happened, and he still didn’t win. Seriously, who else could he have beaten?
He could have beaten Chris, if Chris hadnt made that risky move.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
He could have beaten Chris, if Chris hadnt made that risky move.
You may be right, but my point is that that would have been a very low bar. And Chris’s one risky move was enough to beat Gavin’s entire body of gameplay. So I’m sticking with my “worst final three ever” assessment.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:19 AM

You both make good points, but it's hard to dispute that it was a terrible final three.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:04 AM

I really want to see a "goat" own it. Gavin came close to doing it. Call out all the people who made big moves just for the sake of making a big move, only to end up on the jury. If you're safe, there's no reason to rock the boat.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:15 PM

Well, I was out of town for a week and surprised to see the Reunion show listed on my DVR. This season has been so flipping boring that I didn't even realize that I missed the finale.

Seriously, it was the worst season by far, which is a shame because last season was one of the most entertaining.

I agree with fans who complained about allowing a guy to come back from EOE so close to the finale. I've always hated the ability to return in the past and this was no different. What left me scratching my head is why they put all the exiled players together! Anyone who's ever been to Redemption Island in the past has always said that being alone was by far the worst punishment. You take away that element, and you get a boring party with really bland food, but a party nonetheless.

I also think that they didn't think through how people who were on EOE had an advantage over people who stayed in the game. No paranoia, no stress of challenges, no cameras in your face. On top of that, having them all compete in a challenge to decide the returnee gave a huge advantage to players like Chris or Joe.

No, if they're going to let players back in, they should isolate them, and then perhaps draw rocks. Or maybe bar returning players from competing in reward challenges. And let them back in the game in way earlier so that they cannot just dominate in challenges like Chris did and sail to the end.

As far as this season goes, I was shocked that nobody approached Devens to form an alliance except for Chris. When someone is just rocking it out finding HIIs and winning challenges, you'd think that people would see an opportunity to ride coattails. Not this group.

I do think that Chris played a good game once he got back into the game, so kudos to him for that. While I understand the peanut gallery's bitterness toward him for not outwitting, outplaying, etc., you cannot fault HIM for that.

Another criticism I have of this season was the "gifts" bestowed on active players from EOE players. Breaking up alliances can be so critical and satisfying...unless you allow that "dead" player to send secret gifts to his BFF. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth because players like Reem or Aurora, who are already at a disadvantage because they are less likeable are put at even a worst advantage for not being popular.

At the reunion, I was surprised by how much Julie and Gavin had changed in the few months. I was glad that they didn't spend a ton of time kissing Sia's ass, even though I'm sure she's a nice lady. I'm ticked that both Sandra and Boston Rob are back again, but glad that it appears they'll just be mentors. And Jeff's botox is beginning to make him look Hollywood freakish. Stop it already.

P.S. And to answer the question, yes, Joe, cut your hair. You're morphing into Johnny Depp, which isn't a good thing.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:14 AM
Charter Member

Just watched the finale tonight. I've got a problem with Chris' big move.

He gave the immunity necklace to Julie then declared that he would face Rick in the fire-making challenge. But, Chris GAVE UP THE NECKLACE. Shouldn't Julie then have been able to make that call? She could have taken the BIG MOVE away from Chris and made the BIG MOVE herself, saying "I know I promised to put you [Chris] and Devens in the challenge, but I've changed my mind. Chris, you're going to face Gavin in the fire-making." Assuming Chris actually wins and comes back, he loses to Rick. If Gavin wins, he loses to Rick. Julie was always going to lose to Rick. But it would have at least been a move.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:19 AM

I agree.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum God View Post
Just watched the finale tonight. I've got a problem with Chris' big move.

He gave the immunity necklace to Julie then declared that he would face Rick in the fire-making challenge. But, Chris GAVE UP THE NECKLACE. Shouldn't Julie then have been able to make that call?
Given that the idea of giving up the necklace to go into the firemaking challenge oneself was thought of before (I think it was Dom thinking about taking on Wendell?) it seems that the Survivor rule is that the winner of the immunity challenge at F4 gets 1) the immunity necklace and 2) the choice of who makes fire, as separate things. So the necklace can be transferred without the choice of who makes fire.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusblitz View Post
Given that the idea of giving up the necklace to go into the firemaking challenge oneself was thought of before (I think it was Dom thinking about taking on Wendell?) it seems that the Survivor rule is that the winner of the immunity challenge at F4 gets 1) the immunity necklace and 2) the choice of who makes fire, as separate things. So the necklace can be transferred without the choice of who makes fire.

Except that you can't make fire if you already have immunity. So what if everyone whom he tries to give the necklace to refuses it? Or gives it back to him?

Last edited by SlackerInc; 06-08-2019 at 06:38 AM.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:15 AM

I'm going to hazard a guess that someone in standards & practices at the show or at CBS came up with every possible scenario they could think of and wrote down rules for it, so they don't run afoul of any of the laws about fixing game shows. But since reading those rules on TV would be astonishingly boring, we'll never hear about a specific rule unless the situation comes up.

I'm going to hazard a further guess that the players have been instructed to discuss anything unusual they want to do with the producers first, so they can consult the rules ahead of time and everything goes smoothly on camera.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:26 AM

I agree, but I don't think there is any logical solution to this if the immunity necklace becomes a hot potato that no one wants.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Are the next seasons doing any kind of "return after getting voted out" island? I hope not.