Old 12-03-2018, 09:37 PM

I used to write them in the back of my journal, so that was from high school until the birth of Goodreads, where I now mark them read I couldn't tell you how many without looking, though I do aim for 2 books a week on average. After cancer treatment, I couldn't sustain my attention and my number of books at the end of those couple of years demonstrated this. Getting back to around 100 a year is satisfying because fuck cancer.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan View Post
Getting back to around 100 a year is satisfying because fuck cancer.
Fist raised! YES!
Old 12-03-2018, 10:36 PM

If you mean how many books I have finished, I finished one a few years ago. ADHD strikes again.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:07 AM

A few months on and I am actually seriously considering giving up on the reading lists that I have been obsessively tracking for almost 19 years! Why? Blame the Bible!

So I am currently undertaking the challenge of reading the Bible from cover to cover. In the past, I have read lots of bits of it as most people have. I've read Genesis through Deuteronomy in its entirety and Ruth and possibly one or two others? This was about 2012-3 but I didn't actually add them to the notebook where I record everything as I hadn't yet decided if the Bible counts as one book or a whole bunch (in this particular instance, 73 books as I got a Catholic Bible because I wanted to read the Apocrypha as well). Aside from the whole One Book or Many issue (I kinda decided to count it as one book as counting it as 73 feels like cheating), I've come to a stalemate on the issue of pagination.

As I am going through the Old Testament, I am also concurrently reading Louis Ginzberg's Legends of the Jews (ie read the Creation section of the Bible, read the corresponding section of Legends; read the Abraham cycle in the Bible, read the Abraham legends in Legends, etc.). My version of Ginzberg is 2 volumes but with continuous pagination that runs across them. So is it one book or two? I decided to count it as one book simply because the pagination is continuous. Then I realized, the particular edition of the Bible that I have, despite being one physical volume, splits the pagination between the Testaments. So Malachi ends on page 1154 and a handful of pages later, Matthew starts on page 11 (after some introductory stuff). Gah! Therefore, if I use pagination as the determining factor, Legends is one book in 2 volumes, but the Bible is 2 books in one volume. If I disregard the pagination, Legends is 2 books and the Bible is one book...other than the issue of whether or not I should count it as 1 book or 73 separate books that happen to be bound in one collection....which also contradicts some of my previous decisions (e.g. each Shakespearean play counts as a separate work even though I may have read one or two plays in a collection of many others in one volume).

Therefore, this has all become a little too obsessive...if I can just get over the idea of abandoning something I've been noting religiously (pardon the pun) for nearly 19 years. I know, I know, I have issues.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:54 AM

I don't even keep a list of the women I've been married to.

mmm
Old 06-09-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibliothecarius View Post
A few months on and I am actually seriously considering giving up on the reading lists that I have been obsessively tracking for almost 19 years! Why? Blame the Bible!
Allow me to quote an authority on your system and get this dithering solved once and for all:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibliothecarius View Post
The same goes for the Bible each individual book counts as a book in its own right (after all, they call them books in the plural).
See? Easy. Now get on with it.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

If you've made it through Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy, the rest should be pretty easy.

And while your copy might paginate the Testaments separately, many don't. But the Bible is still the Bible: If someone held up a different edition, or even a different translation, and asked you "Have you read this book?", you'd still say "yes".

In any event, the only reason it'd matter would be if you were, for some reason, asked about the number of books you've read. But clearly, not all books are equal: Nobody would expect Green Eggs and Ham to share space on the same list as War and Peace. So, just don't ask any question for which it matters how many books the Bible counts as.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

I use Librarything

I like it because I can create my own categories (what they call collections) and add tags to show more detail. It helps me avoid buying books I already own, which has happened when it's been a while since I've read something. Also, I can look at my ratings of previous books by an author and decide if I want the latest, or to wait until it goes on sale.

I do use Goodreads when I want to post a review, as I know more people use that site.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
I like it because I can create my own categories (what they call collections) and add tags to show more detail. It helps me avoid buying books I already own, which has happened when it's been a while since I've read something. Also, I can look at my ratings of previous books by an author and decide if I want the latest, or to wait until it goes on sale.
Categories and tags are the same thing in Goodreads; otherwise Goodreads, does the same stuff (ratings, etc.). Is the separate tagging what makes you prefer Librarything?

(I'm not being snarky, honest: I'm interested in the perspective of someone who has used both sites. )
Old 06-13-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
I use Librarything

I do use Goodreads when I want to post a review, as I know more people use that site.
I started at Librarything, but transferred everything when Goodreads came along and was free.