Old 05-10-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarisse McClellan View Post
Tom Petty's Free Fallin'

Opening guitar riff but also "All the vampires walkin through the valley
Move west down Ventura Boulevard"

I look forward to the harmony in "Ventura Boulevard" every time.
Oh! Reminds me of Willie's "Red Headed Stranger" and the harmony on "We'll stroll hand in hand again." It's the only harmony in the whole song.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Perfect endings: that bird at the end of Layla, and Janis's evil laugh at the end of Mercedes Benz.

I love this thread.

Last edited by kayT; 05-10-2019 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

The OP gives you a big "thank you."

Tom Paxton's Born on the Fourth of July (about paralyzed Vietnam war veteran Roy Kovic) has this marvelous verse:

In my wheelchair for life
My mechanical wife
I'm supposed to be cheerful and stoic.
I'm your old tried-and-true
Yankee Doodle to you.
Clean cut (dramatic pause) paralyzed and heroic.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
About 2:20 into Queen's "Fat Bottomed Girls" the drum riff is just perfect.

https://youtu.be/_Uu12zY01ts?t=940

Two notes in Yes's "Yours in No Disgrace" at just the right time, at 8:12 into the over 9 minute song.

https://youtu.be/1fUudna1Xuw?t=485
Some versions of Fat Bottomed Girls have a quick, "clap clap" during a brief pause. I can't find it on Youtube, but here is the Glee version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEVaxtC430M#t=43
Old 05-12-2019, 11:54 AM

Two things that I love singing along to whenever the song comes up:

Those "Rha da dant da's" in The Proclaimers' "I'm Gonna Be" (aka "I would walk 500 miles").

"Little old lady got mutilated late last night" from Zevron's "Werewolves of London"--not the sentiment, but all those Ls.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:13 PM

Some bits off the the top of my head include the following Beatles bits:
Interplay between groovy baseline and lead guitar lick in this "Deer Prudence" bit.
Galloping bass in "Old Brown Shoe". (heh - or is that guitar?)

Jon Anderson's little "woo-do-ooo-ya" (or whatever) at exactly 3:10 .

Two bits here from The Folksmen:
Guest's baaah-ing sheep-like "Welllllllllllll" and Shearer's "E......A......O's"

For a super tiny bit - John's "ooo" segue (from refrain to verse) at exactly 1:52

The Skids (eventually became Big Country, I think) - total night and day tempo (everything!) change at exactly 0:52

The wonderful Seth Putnam going "No way!" (followed by sublime guitar licks that pan between left and right channels) at exactly 46:51
Old 05-12-2019, 03:54 PM

The Eagles' acapella close harmon on Seven Bridges Road.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:52 PM

Figured I'd maybe read the thread, this time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
In the same vein as your second example, the insane seque from "Friends" to "Celebration Day" on Led Zeppelin III.
Yes, always a great segue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Fleetwood Mac: On the first line of the chorus, the female voices sing "You can go your own way," and the man kicks in "GO YOUR OWN WAY." I love the way he sings it.
In that song, I like Lindsay's scorching guitar noodling (3:22) at the end of his solo.

Quote:
Hall & Oates "Private Eyes" (clap, clap) they're watching you. I love the clap, clap.
Speaking of claps, I like the ones in in "O-bla-di, O-bla-da" at the five second mark , and how they double up with the snare at the beginning of Cinnamon Girl .

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
The guitar riff in Boston's "More Than A Feeling." It really should be illegal to play in the car because when I look down I am doing 87mph.
Heh, the mutated "Louie Louie" riff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
In The Simple Minds' Don't You Forget About Me... 3:43[/URL].
Ah yes, the hi-hat/snare interplay, there, makes it one of my all time favourite drum fills. Snazzy as fuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
In high school, I had that same problem with "Synchronicity II" by the Police. I actually took the tape out of my car.
Same feeling. Hated "Top Gun", but always thought that "Sync II" would've enhanced some of the flight scenes. (As well as Genesis's "Duke's End".)

Just a couple more of what I'm sure there's tons:

The cough in VU's "Who Loves the Sun" at 1:05 . I guess they tried to edit it out for the remastering, but you can still just barely hear it, with headphones. (btw - headphones are an imperative for the guitar-panning splendour in the AxCx number, in my previous post, #156).

The sneaky, slightly farty bass(?) (or farfisa?) riffs all throughout Zep's "Custard Pie", most notable here at exactly 0:30 .

I looooove the flowing guitar riff at 0:19 in Steely Dan's "King of the World".

Don't know why this tune gives me goose bumps - maybe it's the way The Turtles sing the chorus in a major key at 1:41 and then shift the chorus into a minor, more "heartwrenching" key at 1:58. (heh - or maybe it's the louche swagger to the drumming that's doin it for me.)

Steve Gadd's fills in the "Aja" title track. Actually - frick it - the rest of his drumming outro-ing the song, especially that totally hoppin, salsa-inflected beat carried mainly on the cup of the ride: scrumptious.

John Wetton goin "WOO!" at 8:29 in "Fracture".

Jimi's wavering guitar at beginning of "Foxey Lady" (here, in this pretty cool Miami video. )

Billy's ack-kack-kack-kack's .

The epic, suspense-building opening minute or so of IMO Queen's RAWKINGEST number, "You Are Here" .

More farty goodness - the farfisa organ at the beginning of IMO Stevie Wonder's catchiest number, "Boogie On Reggae Woman" .

Two ZZ top drum fills from "La Grange" at 1:09 and 2:20 .
Old 05-27-2019, 06:13 PM

The seven note ascending guitar lick by Waddy Wachtel at the end of Warren Zevon's When Johnny Strikes Up the Band.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

In The Head and the Heart's "City of Angels," the part where the background singers join in with "everywhere I go" right at the 3-minute mark.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:44 AM

"Robbing people with a .....(blam) (blam) six (blam) blam) gun (blam) (blam) "

"I fought the law" by The Clash

Also, "uuuurgghhhhh" in Faith no Mores's version of "Easy" (see 1:53 in the video)

Also, the comet exploding in "the whole of the moon" by The Waterboys (see 3:50)
Old 05-28-2019, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

I was so impressed with the crashing sounds in Rumor Has it (CRASH) that I made a point of finding out who sang it. Adele.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:25 PM

Weird Al's "eBay". Even over 15 years after it came out I still laugh every time I hear him sing "I'm highest bidder!"
Old 05-28-2019, 02:06 PM

Tom Waits' Jockey Full of Bourbon. About 1:44 there's that BAP BAP! on the drum that make the whole album worth buying.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:07 PM

The band Space have a great song called "The Ballad of Tom Jones". It's a male/female duet about a couple who have grown to hate each other, but everytime they're about to break up/literally kill each other, a Tom Jones song accidently starts playing and they are in love again.

At 2:41, there's this exchange:

Female singer: I used to call Satan
Male singer: I called you Cruella de Ville
Female singer: But now you call me your Delilah
Male singer: And now I'm not your Lucifer
Female singer: And I am just a pussycat

There is something about the way the female singer sings that last line, that makes me... um, feel all tingly in my pants region.

https://youtu.be/k9zL9wlMvZE?t=161
Old 05-28-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
"
Also, "uuuurgghhhhh" in Faith no Mores's version of "Easy" (see 1:53 in the video)
Drats! I was hoping to be the first to mention that.

Joan Jett & the Blackhearts - "I Hate Myself for Loving You" I love her "Oow"s and grunts.

Kenny Loggins - "If It's Not What You're Looking For" Right before the guitar solo he sings a line and then a guitar plays a high pich note which fades out. It kind of sounds like a continuation of Loggin's voice.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:48 PM

The “doo doo doo doo doo doo” at the very end of Duran Duran’s “Rio.”

(No, I’m not making a Doper inside joke. I’m serious - as soon as I saw the thread title, I recalled my middle school friend and I remarking in this fact. Decades before the SDMB!).
Old 05-28-2019, 10:06 PM

In the studio version for Easy Money by King Crimson, I absolutely love two very quick triplets on the woodblock toward the end as the intensity of the song crescendos.

Robert Fripp is apparently extremely aggressive at getting studio versions of his songs off youtube and other sites. I did manage to find one stuido version video on dailymotion. Unsurprisingly, the best part of the song (mere seconds before the two triplets) is fucked up and jumpy with skips, which is probably why it's allowed to stay up. (Also the sound quality sounds slightly messed up compared to the version from the CD I own, but I guess that's the "remastered" part.) If you like the song and that's the only version you have, you'd almost certainly seek out and purchase a clean version.

Here's the link to it on Dailymotion: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2g8sga

The two triplets I'm talking about get played at 6:15. The whole woodblock section starting at 6:01 is fantastic, and the skips/jump happen around 6:09 to 6:12 and utterly destroy the through-line of one of the great crescendos of prog rock.

The entire song is phenomenal and worth a listen if you haven't heard it before.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 05-28-2019 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:59 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

I've had a lot of these over the years. I call them 'tingle moments' because they send a little tingle through me every time I hear the song.

I agree about the drum bit in Phil Collins's "In the Air Tonight."

In Peter Gabriel's "Signal to Noise," starting at 5:36, I absolutely love the crescendo with the pounding drums.

The opening synth riff in Rush's "Subdivisions."

More Rush choices:

In "Nobody's Hero," the line "...is the pride of purpose/in the unrewarding job."

In "Manhattan Project," the line "...the pilot of Enola Gay/flying out of the shockwave on that August day..."

In "Far Cry," "One day I fly through a crack in the sky, and the next it's fallin' in on me."

In Jethro Tull's "Aqualung," the part that begins, "do you still remember December's foggy freeze..." (especially "and the flowers bloom like madness in the spring.")

In "The Farthest Star" by VNV Nation, "...embrace the void even closer still..."

Alan Parsons Project, "What Goes Up,": "that the wonders you've made in your life will be seen by the millions who follow to visit the site of your dream."

Eurythmics, "Sweet Dreams are Made of This" - the synth riff at the beginning.

I'm sure I'll think of a dozen more of these after I post this. I love these little moments.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
The opening synth riff in Rush's "Subdivisions."

More Rush choices:

In "Nobody's Hero," the line "...is the pride of purpose/in the unrewarding job."

In "Manhattan Project," the line "...the pilot of Enola Gay/flying out of the shockwave on that August day..."

In "Far Cry," "One day I fly through a crack in the sky, and the next it's fallin' in on me."
My Rush moments:

Geddy's bass during Alex's solo in "Freewill", especially how it intros at 3:04 .

Alex's wailin' harmonic at exactly 2:00 .

More sections than moments...starting at 2:00 ...starting at 8:47 (culminating in what may be the longest drum fill ever)...Alex at 1:10 .

The layered vocals in the chorus to Dillinger Escape Plan's "Unretrofied".

Possibly the most tingly moment, like, evar: the armpit fart at 2:42 in Killdozer's "The Puppy". Beautiful.

Lovely trade-off vox in the Butthole Surfer's "The O-Men" at 0:29 .
More B.S.: "Pass me some of that dumbass over there - hey bubba, I tell ya." at 1:43 . ("Lady Sniff") and the perfectly useless (and quite possibly the only) drum machine solo ever at 15:06 ("Booze, Tobacco, Dope, Pussy, Cars")

The drums/synth break in The Fall's "LA" at 3:09 .

The "swooping" guitar riff in Island Girl .
Old 05-29-2019, 05:32 AM
Charter Member

In most of Abba's songs there is some small thing that particularly grabs me. In Chiquitita, a song about helping someone after a difficult time (grief or a breakup or something), there is a beautiful bit during the line in the chorus "...you and I cry" that gets me every time. Love it!

I also like the cheerful piano at the very end.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:44 AM

The clever (maybe too clever) vocal elision from the last verse to the last chorus of Billy Joel’s “Honesty”:

You’re the one that I depend upo...........nesty is such a lonely word
Old 05-29-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
In most of Abba's songs there is some small thing that particularly grabs me. In Chiquitita, a song about helping someone after a difficult time (grief or a breakup or something), there is a beautiful bit during the line in the chorus "...you and I cry" that gets me every time. Love it!

I also like the cheerful piano at the very end.
Good call, a (not so) guilty pleasure of mine. There are loads of little twinkly bits and fills in the ABBA back catalogue.

I'm thinking of the piano stabs in Waterloo.

"the history book on the shelf (da-ding.....da-ding.....da-ding) is always repeating itseeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllf"
Old 05-29-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post

Alex's wailin' harmonic at exactly 2:00 .
I stand woefully corrected - that's just a guitar peel, not like the aforementioned Steve Howe harmonics at 8:12 .
Oh - and which kicks off "Red Barchetta" .

Two "Benny and the Jets" thingies: the whistle at 4:07 and his awesomely atonal piano break at 4:35 .

Everybody's all-time favourite moment - Minnie, at 0:59 .
The chirping birdies are nice, too.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:06 AM

I have been obsessed with Brandi Carlile's cover of Joni Mitchell's "A Case of You" lately, and while I like everything about it, there is this tiny delay or lift or something in a descending series of notes in the piano intro, which is later picked up and repeated a few times in the strings. (Example at about 4:38 of the closing instrumentals after 4:20 on.)
https://youtu.be/W-8eusALPRk
Old 05-29-2019, 12:29 PM

The Machine is a Dutch stoner band par excellence. One of my favorite songs of theirs is called 5 & 4 and it also has one of my very favorite parts of any song, ever. Everything stops for a split second and the drummer punctuates the silence with a quick, crisp cymbal-bell hit. It's delicious and funny and just fucking NAILS it for me every time I hear it. Best of all, it's repeated 3 times during the song:

at 1:31

at 2:28

at 4:30

Absolutely one of my very favorite parts of any song; that little bell hit makes me smile every single time I hear it.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 05-29-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:59 PM

Fantastic thread.

I'd would like (if I may) to add the following:

"Magic Man" - Heart.

The harmonies sung by Ann & Nancy right after that amazing guitar / keyboard solo : Magic Man Harmony sounds like two Rock N Roll Angels
Old 05-29-2019, 02:32 PM

Great thread, and some great instances so far. I will try to list some favorites without repeating any.

- Warren Zevon's "UUNHH!" in the coda of "Lawyers, Guns and Money," after the second refrain.
- Steve Winwood's organ playing under the final chorus of "Voodoo Child" (12:12). There's also a moment (around 5:12 in) when Jimi pulls what was probably the widest whammy-bar bend anyone had done up to that point.
- The moment in XTC's "Dear Madam Barnum" when the 12-string guitar enters on the second verse.
- Very subtle thing, but in the stereo mix of the Beatles' "Every Little Thing," during the intro, in the left channel, you can hear John softly tapping the body of his acoustic, counting himself in for his entrance.
- Just before the sax coda on "That Train Don't Stop Here Anymore" by Los Lobos, Cesar Rosas mutters a quick "Shucks!"
- Keith Moon's off-mic (but still audible) roar before he comes barreling back in on "Substitute."
- The wacky, four-note piano intro to "The Word" (Beatles again)
- There's a particular chord progression in the bridge of Elvis Costello's "New Amsterdam" when it goes Em > A > E. Going from a minor to a major so deftly just knocks me out.
- In the version of "Million Miles Away" from Irish Tour '74, Rory Gallagher hits a harmonic, then bends the string behind the nut to make it wobble. Such a cool little thing.

There are more, but I gotta get back to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labtrash View Post
I listen for "squeaks" from the re-positioning of the guitarist's fingers. Is there a musical term for this?

Notable squeaky songs would be Wish You Were Here, and Every Breath You Take. Lots more, but those are two of my favorites.
I was told that in recording studio jargon, these are called "mice." Syd Barrett's solo output is littered with them, and the "Wish You Were Here" intro is a deliberate evocation of Syd's style.

Last edited by Nonsuch; 05-29-2019 at 02:33 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 05-30-2019, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Doesn't everybody love the audience singing "MY DING-A-LING"?

ETA: Thanks for the praises, enthusiasm, and responses to this thread.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 05-30-2019 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post

I was told that in recording studio jargon, these are called "mice." Syd Barrett's solo output is littered with them, and the "Wish You Were Here" intro is a deliberate evocation of Syd's style.
Another example : the studio version of "Strutter" from KISS' debut album:

"Everybody says she's lookin' good" (mice) "And the lady knows it's understood" (mice)

STRUTTER
Old 05-30-2019, 09:00 PM

Hopefully the final entry from the Tedious Self-Correction Dept.:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
...Steve Howe harmonics...
Actually Howe is just playing two very, very high notes.

more Beatles:

Lovely Rita: the shuffling sound (shaker?) at 0:41 . Or maybe aroused hyperventilation - either way, gives the song a little bit of racey, goofy momentum.

Groovy, "Chick-magnet-y" "Baby You Can Drive My Car" guitar intro.

The two descending kettle drum hits in "Every Little Thing".

Before "Taxman" starts, George(?) stealthily goes "one, two three, four, one, two" and immediately Paul (?) yells "go!" and the song kicks right in. Nice little cough in there, too.

In "You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)", this salsa (bossa nova?) passage comes to a down-and-dirty 1-2-3 stop, followed by a simply scorching (almost cathartically emphatic, dare I say) "OOO!" from Paul and John, at 1:37 . ok - to split hairs - I think Paul goes "ooo!" just a goat-hair before John yells "Oh!"

In "Don't Make Me Cry", coming out of the break (near end of song), how Ringo hits the hi-hat twice, and then two quick kicks, and finishing with a bam-bam, bam, bam-bam on the snare, starting at 2:47 .

Last edited by Guest-starring: Id!; 05-30-2019 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:47 PM

Heh despite the fact that it was probably John who yelled "Oh!" first, I also missed a couple better moments in Name/Number: John(?) quietly goin' "yeah" at 3:02 , seguing into the pokey piano run, seguing into some terry-cloth-table-lounge of the greasiest, awesomest kind, and lastly, that constipated, Frank Booth-sounding "OOOOOOO-yeh!............OOOOOOOOO-yeh!" (or whatever the hell those grunts are) starting around 3:42 .
Old 06-02-2019, 09:30 AM

Guest, in Taxman Paul shouts “four,” not “go.” Paul actually says the entire real count-in “one two three four,” but the first three words are hard to hear under the last part of the slow, fake count-in.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:44 AM

The little fill in Weezer’s “Buddy Holly”

The vocal skitch in Linkin Park’s “In the End” : it stutters over the word “proper-ty”

Hand claps in Styx’ “Too Much Time on My Hands”

In fact, the extra “domo” callback from the same band in Mr. Roboto

Audioslave, “Like a Stone” - when the guitar reallllly gets going
Old 06-04-2019, 07:44 AM

Back up singers give me some of the best moments:

When the Commodores first kick in at the beginning of "You Are."
The way the miracles are singing behind Smoky in "Tears of a Clown." They're doing their own song behind him while he does his own lyrics up front.
The little "Woo Woo!" of the Pips during "Midnight Train To Georgia."
Old 06-04-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
Guest, in Taxman Paul shouts “four,” not “go.” Paul actually says the entire real count-in “one two three four,” but the first three words are hard to hear under the last part of the slow, fake count-in.
Definitely requires a cite, because just going by hearing it, the count-in sounds way more like George's (who sang lead, here) voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypno-Toad View Post
The little "Woo Woo!" of the Pips during "Midnight Train To Georgia."
Reminding me of the "hoo! hoo!" at the beginning of Steve Miller's "Take the Money and Run" (over a pretty cool beat with those opening hi-hats) .

Neil Young's bluesy little guitar run during his "Needle and the Damage Done" intro.

This Cephalic Carnage guitar passage . Unfortunately this shows just the drummer (who rules) but you get the idea anyway.

Fading in snare flams into guitar riff in Supertramp's "School".
Old 06-04-2019, 02:30 PM

In Quicksilver Messenger Service's The Truth at 3:54 someone yells "woo" in the background - you could tell they were feelin' it.

The subtle fret-dive and chord before the guitar solo at 3:33 in [I]Brothers in Arms[/I is one I always wait for amongst all the epicness.

When Lisa Gerrard hits the lower notes in Now We are Free [Gladiator OST] it's frisson-making.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:32 PM

Two off the top of my head:
In the Cowsills' "The Rain, the Park and Others" at the 2:23 mark and hearing "Happy!" sung under "Flowers everywhere!"

In Elvis Presley's "Little Sister," that guitar riff at the :03-07 mark JUST before Elvis sings.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:02 PM

In the Allman Brothers' Jessica, about a minute before the actual end, the song seems to be winding down to the end, then bam, it swoops right back into the middle of the song. (the first time I heard the song, I swear I felt a physical sensation of suddenly going over the top of a hill and freefalling down and back into the song).

Towards the end of the Nails' The Things You Left Behind, the phrase "Heroin? Oh shit, not heroin" caught my fancy to such an extent that it became my go to non sequiturial phrase when confronted with any unknown powder in any situation.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
"Little old lady got mutilated late last night" from Zevron's "Werewolves of London"--not the sentiment, but all those Ls. 155
I like "HIS HAIR WAS PERFECT" and all the "aahooh"s
Old 06-05-2019, 11:28 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimaane View Post
I like "HIS HAIR WAS PERFECT" and all the "aahooh"s
I'm on the record with several friends on this: I would gladly give up everything I've ever written or created to have written that one line.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Kim Carnes "Bette Davis Eyes":

She's precocious
And she knows just what it takes to make a (pause) pro blush

The pause, the rhyme, and the way Carnes sings it are all great.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:06 PM

I was listening to "Low Sparks of High Heeled Boys" today and there are a lot of great moments in that song. The one drum break that always grabs me is the four triplets in a row at about 4:36 just before kicking into the second part of the chorus.

Last edited by Jack Batty; 06-05-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:00 AM

a whole lotta ugly, here:

Rey Washam's fine snare work in Rapeman's "Log Bass" at 1:12 .

couple Big Black offerings:

Crazy guitar wailings at 0:22 and 0:33 , plus awesome slide down the bass neck at 0:57 in "Things to do Today".

Fun firecrackers and various armaments, followed up with goofball laughter in "It's My Disco" at 1:21 .

whole buncha Pere Ubu:

David Thomas squakings followed by more goofy laughing at 3:39 in "Laughing".

Cool ascending guitar run at 1:03 in "Street Waves".

Creepy backing vocals ("...must have BEEN?!?!?!?!?") at 1:12 in "49 Guitars and One Girl" (youtube got the song title wrong).

Sound of airplanes passing overhead(?) at at 0:17...0:22... in "Heaven".

Sonic goat belchings in "Misery Goats" at 0:29 and 0:34 . Fun jaw harp accompaniment too.

One pretty darned groovy bass line at 1:57 in "Go".

In "Small Was Fast", goofy backing vocals {"jungles, jungles, too many jungles") (?) commencing at 1:00 .

Guitar strum in "Petrified" at 0:06...0:12... .

Backing vocal ("but it wasn't where it wasn't at") at 0:28 in "George Had a Hat".

One of the most gloriously effed-up gradual build-ups, ever, kicking off "One Less Worry" , and later on, Thomas loses it (as he can, from time to time) with his "woo's" at 2:27 .

Speaking of gloriously effed-up gradual build-ups, we'll finish off with the illustrious Jon Wayne kicking off "Texas Polka" .
Old 06-08-2019, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Dr. Hook and the Medicine Shows' a capella

And we keep getting richer
But we can't get our picture
On the cover of the Rolling Stone.

The way they sing it just bleeds their frustration.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:27 AM

This is my favorite thread to read through.

My entries:

Crosby, Stills & Nash's "Southern Cross", where one of them (Stills?) jumps in a bit early on several lines. ("I have been a, I have been around the world...")

Bob Dylan's "Things Have Changed": I never fail to smile every time I hear Dylan sing "The next sixty seconds could be like an eternity" (knowing that the song ends exactly sixty seconds after that line is sung).

Bob Dylan's "Rainy Day Women #12 and 35": The ruckus in the background, especially "Oh yes they will!"

The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again": Daltrey's scream after the instrumental break toward the end of the song.

mmm
Old 06-09-2019, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

ABBA's "Knowing me, knowing You (aaaa-haaaa). The "a-ha" makes the song.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 06-09-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:05 PM

The King's Singers, Oh Danny Boy:

"For you will bend and tell me that you love me" (at 2:55).
Old 06-09-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brossa View Post
The King's Singers, Oh Danny Boy:

"For you will bend and tell me that you love me" (at 2:55).
Wow! Incredible harmonic texture!

Here's one I like, from The Bangles' "Manic Monday", the little run in the opening 6 seconds, repeated right away, and then again at 1:11 and 1:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsmVgoXDq2w
Old 06-09-2019, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
ABBA's "Knowing me, knowing You (aaaa-haaaa). The "a-ha" makes the song.
Alan Partridge agrees.