Old 06-08-2019, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

There's a website that talks about how much some wealthy people have given to charity. It's called "Inside Philanthropy". Here's what it says about Susan Sarandon:

https://www.insidephilanthropy.com/g...-sarandon.html

Here's an article about the charities that Robin Williams donated to:

https://money.cnn.com/2014/08/12/new...ity/index.html

I can't find any articles about the amount of money that Jodie Foster has given to charity.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:30 AM

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...year/98291958/

Rihanna does an awful lot. This thread is ridiculous.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:34 PM

True story about Robin Williams. A while back, a friend of mine was doing some legal work for him when they started talking about problems my friend was having with addiction. Robin spent two hours talking to a complete stranger on the phone helping him.

Sure, he could have done more. Maybe fly across the country and hold my friend's hand through recovery but it seems to me he did more than 99.9999% of people would do. This thread isn't just ridiculous, it's offensive to some pretty good people.

P.S. Fifteen million dollar houses aren't all that extraordinary anymore. The guy who bought the house down the street from me paid over a million and he drives a taxi.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

I tried to determine if it's surprising that Jodie Foster should buy a house worth $15 million. I found a website that says that she's worth $100 million. So how much should someone worth $100 million spend on a house? I know that the rule of thumb is that someone with an annual income of X should never spend more than two and a half times X on their house. But all we know is her net worth. One website says that someone with a net worth of X should never spend more than 10% of X for a house. However, it's not true that she just bought a house for $15 million. What she did just this year is sell her house for $14.9 million. Furthermore, her wife, Alexandra Hedison, has a net worth of $14 million. (I got three wildly different numbers for her net worth, so I picked the middle one.) Furthermore, note that Foster is probably now an empty-nester, since her two sons are 21 and 18. So perhaps she decided that she and Hedison can live in a smaller and cheaper house now. So as far as I can determine, Foster and Hedison can afford to live in a house worth 10% of (100 + 14) million, which is $11.4 million, not that much more than $15 million.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:57 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

How many bathrooms?
Old 06-08-2019, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

The house that Jodie Foster just sold has five bedrooms, five full bathrooms, and two half bathrooms.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:38 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Good for her. I was at college with Jodie Foster. She was, like, a year behind me. I remember the big brouhaha on campus after Wahatizname took a shot at Ronnie.

I walked into Kissinger's son’s room, who I didn’t know, because he had one of the few TVs in the place. My cries of “Woo HOO” seemed to disturb his guests.

Later my friends and I bought bottles of cheap wine and sang songs. Th’ squares were aghast.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Good for her. I was at college with Jodie Foster. She was, like, a year behind me. I remember the big brouhaha on campus after Wahatizname took a shot at Ronnie.

I walked into Kissinger's son’s room, who I didn’t know, because he had one of the few TVs in the place. My cries of “Woo HOO” seemed to disturb his guests.

Later my friends and I bought bottles of cheap wine and sang songs. Th’ squares were aghast.
Cheering violence? Nice

I went to a middle school that 98% Black. When Ronald Reagan was shot, the principal announced the news. My classmates started laughing and dancing. I sat in my chair terrified. As our teacher settled the other students down, you could hear the roars of celebration from the other parts of the building. It was surreal.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Why would they stop pretending when it’s profitable?
I thought pretending to be an Avenger was profitable for Hollywood actors.
Turns out the real money is in pretending to be liberal.
I guess I just don't understand capitalism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
They don't care about the homeless. The fact that you think they do just proves my point.
Interesting.
If I think they DON'T care about the homeless, does that disprove your point?
Old 06-10-2019, 04:13 AM
Charter Member

manson1972, how can you or anyone else know whether anybody really cares about the homeless? That requires knowing what's going on in their minds, and nobody really knows what's going on in other people's minds. All you know are what they supposedly gave to some charity for the homeless (and you discovered that from a news story that may or may not be true) and how much money they have (and you discovered that from another news story that may or may not be true). Why don't you just quit wasting your time reading about what celebrities supposedly do for charity? Why is what they do more important that what anyone else does for charity?
Old 06-10-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
I'm not in the habit of disclosing what I may or may not do for the underprivileged. I'm not rich. If I was, I would certainly do so, in the hopes that other rich people would follow suit. I wouldn't drive by the homeless in LA to my $12 million mansion.
AKA "I don't do anything for the homeless."
Old 06-10-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
AKA "I don't do anything for the homeless."
You can think that. I don't care. I'm also not on TV gushing over how rich I am.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not what you'd expect View Post
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...year/98291958/

Rihanna does an awful lot. This thread is ridiculous.
Sure. If you think it's cool to buy a $6.8 million house in Beverly Hills while there is a homeless crisis in LA, then yeah, you would think this thread is ridiculous.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sure. If you think it's cool to buy a $6.8 million house in Beverly Hills while there is a homeless crisis in LA, then yeah, you would think this thread is ridiculous.
To the folks starving in Bangladesh, where ever you live is essentially the same as a mansion. Get off your high horse and accept that you're just as much a part of the problem as the people you're incoherently ranting about. You just do less and complain more.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
To the folks starving in Bangladesh, where ever you live is essentially the same as a mansion. Get off your high horse and accept that you're just as much a part of the problem as the people you're incoherently ranting about.
I agree. It's a moral failing that I live with everyday.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

manson1972 writes:

> I'm also not on TV gushing over how rich I am.

I don't very often see celebrities on TV gushing about how rich they are. What I see are these so-called entertainment news shows in which the hosts gush about how rich celebrities are. I change channels whenever such programs come on. They aren't actually very much about real entertainment news. They don't have any analysis of why certain film or TV production companies are doing well or going broke. They don't have any analysis of how the themes of movies and TV shows have changed over the years. They have little to say about the people who are really in charge of TV and movies, the executives of the production companies. What they have are superficial stories about the lead actors in TV shows and movies, which includes what cars they own. Such shows are as superficial and as honest as those tabloids you see in the supermarket checkout lines. Again, if this kind of superficiality bothers you, change the channel. Watch TV shows about political and economic matters, which are going to actually change how we will be living in the future, while how an actor spends his money isn't going to change much of anything.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:46 PM

Solving homelessness is far more about political will than anything else.