Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2019, 12:49 AM

Most "class" driven rivalries in sports

I've been told it's Boca Juniors v River Plate in Argentine soccer-----Boca representing the poorer classes while Plate was the middle class team---- a hateful rivalry where violence forced the South American version of the UEFA title final between the two to be moved to Spain.

American sports: I always perceived the New York Yankees v Boston Red Sox rivalry to be New York stockbroker types looking down on Boston "Irish" lower life scum (22% Irish here btw)

Just saw a Dodgers v Angels game, and while not regular season rivals, they are local rivals and the impression I get is the Angels are an Orange County "Republican" team supported by middle to upper middle class families with lily white all-American Mike Trout as their symbol while the Dodgers are the "liberal" team supported by "liberal" Hollywood celebrities and Hispanic locals.

I think the class distinction manifests itself more with college sports. Locally, in the Philadelphia area, it is perceived that Villanova looks down on other schools not because of its 2 NCAA titles but because of its higher tuitions and academic reputation and for that reason Novas title celebration were very isolated in the Philly area.

What other examples of economic/social status are there that determine rivalries in sports?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk