Old 05-31-2019, 07:28 PM

Televangelist Kenneth Copeland is Coco for Cocoa Puffs.

https://twitter.com/theJeremyVine/st...09543612911617

This is one of the strangest things I've ever seen.

Journalist asks question about luxury plane and things go really weird.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:32 PM

1) That guy is crazy
2) Who gives money to that guy?
3) Why didn't the reporter ask "Jesus didn't have an airplane, why do you need it?"
Old 05-31-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
3) Why didn't the reporter ask "Jesus didn't have an airplane, why do you need it?"
What does God need with a starship?
Old 05-31-2019, 08:44 PM

I shudder to think what that crazy-eyed motherfucker's browsing history looks like.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:01 AM

Wow.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 06-01-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Who gives money to that guy?
People who want to be saved, glory be to his ministry.

When you're rattling around Hell (or even flying commercial in a tube) with a bunch of demons, you'll regret having mocked Kenneth Copeland.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
1) That guy is crazy
2) Who gives money to that guy?
He's got 10 times the money as Joel Osteen, he's doing faith healing and I'll bet he's got the charisma of Jim Jones. That's a powerful combination for the weak minded, the people that will do what they're told as long as they believe doing so will bring them closer to god/reserve their spot in heaven or that the preacher has some type of direct conduit with god/jesus.
If a preacher can make that type of connection with their congregation, they can ask for just about anything from them, and get it, in the name of the lord.

It's not like this is anything new either. You can go back to Jim Jones, The Bakkers etc. In probably the most famous example, this guy pulled together nearly $20,000,000 in a weekend.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:57 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

I've seen video of both Copeland and Jones. What I don't get is how anyone says they have (or in the case of Jim, had) charisma. I just don't see it.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
I've seen video of both Copeland and Jones. What I don't get is how anyone says they have (or in the case of Jim, had) charisma. I just don't see it.
You also have to keep in mind that they're, literally and figuratively, preaching to the choir. They're not telling these people anything they don't know, they're just guiding them into a place (mental or physical) that serves the needs of the preacher. While you, or most people, could sit through a service done by one of these people and not think much of it, much less move across the globe and kill yourself, for other people, what these preachers are saying resonates with them.
It's not all that different than inciting a riot or starting a rally or picket line. If you say the right things, to the right people, you can get them into the right frame of mind and suddenly you can convince them to go on strike or march on the steps of city hall or burn down a building.
These guys convince people to give them money.

Or, looked at differently, if you don't like the word charisma, there's little question that all these televangelists, have so much conviction and confidence in what they're saying that the type of people that would believe in what they're saying are unlikely to be skeptical about the situation.
Going back to Jim Jones or even David Koresh, the 'survivors' of these cults all say pretty similar things. That they trusted in what he was doing and they were willing to do virtually anything for him to get to that goal. The goal typically being some type of paradise. ISTM, that translates pretty easily to these people saying 'do what I say and you'll get to heaven'.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Regarding that, another televangelist, Jesse Duplantis (who just asked his followers for $54 million to buy a Falcon 7X jet, his fourth private plane), said recently, "I really believe that if the Lord Jesus Christ was physically on the Earth today, he wouldn't be riding a donkey. He'd be in an airplane flying all over the world."

Now, I'm a non-believer, but I think they're right that Jesus wouldn't be riding a donkey. But he might be riding a bicycle. Or maybe he'd hitchhike. But I don't see him in a luxurious private jet.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:06 PM

Duplantis was funny when I saw him on TV, which kinda made you want to like him. A lot of people never encountered sermons with humor beyond a tired old joke at the beginning that you laughed at more for politeness than anything.

Copeland, I have no idea what his "charisma" was. He always just seemed bizarre. I can only bet it's the "telling people what they want to hear" crap, mixed with the fact he just looks like a preacher.

And, of course, like all prosperity preachers, they hold themselves out as proof of what they claim to believe.

Last edited by BigT; 06-01-2019 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:10 PM

He previously laid hands on and prayed for Trump at Trump Tower during his campaign.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

Heck, I'm impressed Copeland is still around and going at it, he's been at it a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Now, I'm a non-believer, but I think they're right that Jesus wouldn't be riding a donkey. But he might be riding a bicycle. Or maybe he'd hitchhike. But I don't see him in a luxurious private jet.
Minivan, bought used (two of them, really, to fit the Apostles). And if he had to fly, probably on Southwest/EasyJet or some other discount carrier.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 06-01-2019 at 10:40 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:41 PM

I've flown with those demons in a tube, They put their carry on bags in the front even though they are sitting in row 27.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post
I've flown with those demons in a tube, They put their carry on bags in the front even though they are sitting in row 27.
I've flown with those same demons. If only I was righteous enough to afford my own private jet.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:34 AM

I suspect early stage dementia. Ken Copeland is 82.

It's sad seeing someone that respected lose control of his facilities.

I've heard his sermons years ago and he was a very good preacher. I haven't watched him for at least 15 years.

Last edited by aceplace57; 06-02-2019 at 01:38 AM.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:56 AM

Boy, that guy is NOT used to his shit not working on people.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I suspect early stage dementia. Ken Copeland is 82.
What makes you think that?
Just because of the plane? This is his 6th(?) plane. He's been buying them for at least 10 years.

It's entirely possible you know something about his mental status that I don't. I've never heard of the guy until recently. I'd wager it's something more akin to him having three quarters of a billion dollars (as in 20x more than Joel Osteen) and losing touch with reality. It's hard to argue that he's a man of God, when he chooses to ask his congregation for $19,000,000 to upgrade the hangar and runway to handle all the planes he has. That's a whole lot of money that could be put towards things that Christianity tends to stand for, like helping others in need.
Do you think that someone with $760,000,000 understands what it's like to not be sure if you can afford next months rent, while he's suing Texas to get his plane exempt from taxes?

And just because I'm reading it, I'll toss this in:
His daughter, while not anti-vax, does say that there's a vaccination/autism link
His wife tells people not to go to doctors that pump you full of poisons, and instead use alternative treatments...like faith healing.

TLDR, why do you think he has dementia?
Old 06-02-2019, 12:33 PM

I don't have any inside information. Ken seems so much different then how I remember him 20 years ago.

His emotions seemed all over the place in that video. Very unstable.

As this thread title says, he seems nuts.

He's the right age to be in the early stages of dementia.

Last edited by aceplace57; 06-02-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I don't have any inside information. Ken seems so much different then how I remember him 20 years ago.

Was a reporter asking him uncomfortable questions when you saw him previously?

He's acting like someone who is not used to getting questioned.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
It's not like this is anything new either. You can go back to Jim Jones, The Bakkers etc. In probably the most famous example, this guy pulled together nearly $20,000,000 in a weekend.
Phil's cheesy rug is too nice for him to be a real televangelist.

Saw Peter Popoff earlier. When doing his "healing" schtick he wore the infamous hearing aid but when schilling 'alabaster oil' -- cooking oil in a plastic packet like ketchup -- he didn't. I suppose he could hear his wife just fine with her sitting right next to him.

Last edited by dropzone; 06-02-2019 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
Heck, I'm impressed Copeland is still around and going at it, he's been at it a while.
Minivan, bought used (two of them, really, to fit the Apostles).

The Apostles could all fit in one Accord.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

He's the right age to be in the early stages of dementia.
There's a HUGE difference between someone speaking in a professional capacity vs them being called out by a reporter for something they said.
Look what happens when reporter finds a politician and asks them difficult questions or TMZ corners a celeb at an airport.
Being flustered or even lashing out because you're on TV and asked to explain something you mentioned (sometimes in passing/in the heat of the moment) doesn't mean you have dementia.

If you find one of his recent sermons, he may be just like you remember him.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Phil's cheesy rug is too nice for him to be a real televangelist.
Here's his inspiration for that character.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:31 AM

Quote:
He's got 10 times the money as Joel Osteen, he's doing faith healing and I'll bet he's got the charisma of Jim Jones. That's a powerful combination for the weak minded, the people that will do what they're told as long as they believe doing so will bring them closer to god/reserve their spot in heaven or that the preacher has some type of direct conduit with god/jesus.
If a preacher can make that type of connection with their congregation, they can ask for just about anything from them, and get it, in the name of the lord.

Wasn't there one guy who said if he didn't get a certain amount of donations in a certain amount of time, God would "call him home?" Who was that?

(And I think people actually DID donate, too!)
Old 06-03-2019, 01:41 AM

oral roberts and he did more than once and got it
Old 06-03-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
His daughter, while not anti-vax, does say that there's a vaccination/autism link
She has a mixed record on the subject according to this article, but endorses classic antivax memes and her church helped spark a measles outbreak.

Nice how she acknowledges "facts", but says the Truth (Biblical, one assumes) "always overcomes facts".

She'll never go as far as Daddy in the evangelical game. Her eyes aren't scary enough.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:01 AM

My next user name is going to be Tube Demon.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:42 AM

Guys like this give a bad name to Christianity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
My next user name is going to be Tube Demon.
Somewhat risky. Band name?
Old 06-03-2019, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Only if they were clowns.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
<snip> ...he just looks like a preacher. <snip>
He looks like the bloke the bobbies toss in the nick for cutting the throats of 15 men in his hair salon with a straight razor.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Why yes, Mr. Copeland, I do expect you to go in amongst a bunch of "demons" when you're preparing to go preach, because that's exactly where a preacher is most needed.

The traditional response to Mr. Copeland's actions would involve his plane being swallowed by a leviathan, and him then getting spat out in the middle of a crowded airliner on a long flight.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:28 AM

If anyone could make me believe in demons, it would be him.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Why yes, Mr. Copeland, I do expect you to go in amongst a bunch of "demons" when you're preparing to go preach, because that's exactly where a preacher is most needed.
Do you really want to spend three hours stuck in a tube with a televangelist?
Old 06-04-2019, 03:05 PM

There is a decent chance he really is demented, since about 1 out of 5 people in his age group are. The fact that he seems to be having trouble even articulating a coherent thought to respond to her makes me suspect he may have some cognitive impairment, but I don't know what he was like in his prime. I have never watched televangelists.

I would not donate to a televangelist myself, but I also don't care if others want to do so. Sure, I think their money would be better spent on other things, but it's their money and it's their choice to make. I am much more concerned about people following actual cult leaders (such as the aforementioned Jim Jones, David Koresh, Jehovah's Witnesses encouraging their members to die rather than take blood transfusions, Islamic extremists encouraging people to blow themselves up) than I am about this dude being a hypocrite. Do I think a church pastor needs a private jet? No, but I have seen GoFundMe campaigns for things just as dumb or maybe dumber. I have seen professional athletes and wealthy politicians whose contributions to society were arguably less valuable. If this guy is providing people with something they find worthwhile enough that they want to support him having a private jet, then so be it.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:37 PM

His face looks like claymation.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Guys like this give a bad name to Christianity.

Somewhat risky. Band name?
Okay - "Tube Demon" for a band name, and "somewhat risky" for a user name.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Do you really want to spend three hours stuck in a tube with a televangelist?
Fun times since airlines will provide you with a KJV if you ask. Wife would play Dueling Verses with Wheaton College (Billy Graham's alma mater) students. She was Methodist and did it from memory.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:40 PM

I used to live just down the road from the Kenneth Copeland Ministries campus near Eagle Mountain Lake, north of Fort Worth (and I'm still only about a 20 minute drive from there). It was a very large estate with many buildings, and had a landing strip and a few small hangars. I only ever saw prop planes there, though. I never bothered to watch him preach--either in person or on TV.

In that video clip with the reporter, he doesn't come across to ma as having dementia. He's just full of shit like every other televangelist, and isn't used to being called out on it. He needs to take lessons from Joel Osteen. From what I've seen, that guy has gotten really good at deflecting/rationalizing questions about his obscene wealth.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:40 AM

Quote:
airlines will provide you with a KJV if you ask.
Huh? is this really a thing?
And why limit it to the King James version? Seems politically incorrect.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

My guess it's like the hotels with the bible in the end table. They provide the version provided for free by The Gideons.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Fun times since airlines will provide you with a KJV if you ask. Wife would play Dueling Verses with Wheaton College (Billy Graham's alma mater) students. She was Methodist and did it from memory.

Like others, I'd like to see some evidence of that--a quick goggle brought up nothing.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
There's a HUGE difference between someone speaking in a professional capacity vs them being called out by a reporter for something they said.
Look what happens when reporter finds a politician and asks them difficult questions or TMZ corners a celeb at an airport.
Being flustered or even lashing out because you're on TV and asked to explain something you mentioned (sometimes in passing/in the heat of the moment) doesn't mean you have dementia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
In that video clip with the reporter, he doesn't come across to ma as having dementia. He's just full of shit like every other televangelist, and isn't used to being called out on it.
Agreed.
He's a shyster being called on his shysterism. He's rattled. He answers her 'For example' question, with, "For example, that's really none of your business." That's awful phrasing, but if rattled & flustered people only responded with an improperly phrased sentence or two this world would be a lot better off.

He starts to answer & realizes that's a bad idea & even states that she caught him off guard. He then looks up, thanks the Lord & asks for a moment to pray come up with a more suitable answer. To me, that's someone realizing their tongue got a little bit ahead of them before the sentence was even finished coming out of their mouth. Not dementia.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
But Jesus doesn't own it. "for I speak not of my own accord, but of my Father's"

Last edited by GaryM; 06-11-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
But Jesus doesn't own it. "for I speak not of my own accord, but of my Father's"
Thank you for making my day ! 😄
Old 06-12-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
Like others, I'd like to see some evidence of that--a quick goggle brought up nothing.
Oooh, I guess they don't anymore. Even Alaska has stopped their prayer cards with dinner a few years back. Other than Alaska I don't know how formal it was, but I saw cartons of little Gideons at the attendants' stations back in the day. Now they don't, especially on flights into Saudi Arabia. My bad.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Now they don't, especially on flights into Saudi Arabia. My bad.
Who has woken me from my slumber?
Do you know a child in need?
Old 06-13-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsToTheLeft View Post
What does God need with a starship?
Old 06-13-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
Agreed.
He's a shyster being called on his shysterism. He's rattled. He answers her 'For example' question, with, "For example, that's really none of your business." That's awful phrasing, but if rattled & flustered people only responded with an improperly phrased sentence or two this world would be a lot better off.

He starts to answer & realizes that's a bad idea & even states that she caught him off guard. He then looks up, thanks the Lord & asks for a moment to pray come up with a more suitable answer. To me, that's someone realizing their tongue got a little bit ahead of them before the sentence was even finished coming out of their mouth. Not dementia.
To me it looked like he wanted to choke the life out of her and was thanking the lord for restraining him.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:29 PM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
LOL, My mom graduated from Wheaton in 1949 - she used to invite door to door missionaries in and 'chat' with them when she got bored ... oddly enough after a while they stopped coming around =)