Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-12-2019, 05:19 PM
nearwildheaven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 12,575

Nicole Brown Simpson died 25 years ago today


And so did Ronald Goldman.

I can't believe I just heard this on my local news, or maybe I should.

When OJ kicks off, I predict that the news departments will interrupt network programming, the way NBC did with Whitney Houston's death (for which they were roundly criticized) and air his funeral live from start to finish.

I hope I'm wrong.

RIP, Nicole and Ron. You didn't deserve that.
  #2  
Old 06-12-2019, 05:28 PM
Magiver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Dayton Ohio USA
Posts: 28,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
And so did Ronald Goldman.

I can't believe I just heard this on my local news, or maybe I should.

When OJ kicks off, I predict that the news departments will interrupt network programming, the way NBC did with Whitney Houston's death (for which they were roundly criticized) and air his funeral live from start to finish.

I hope I'm wrong.

RIP, Nicole and Ron. You didn't deserve that.
I wouldn't want to be the funeral home that takes on that fiasco.
  #3  
Old 06-12-2019, 06:02 PM
F. U. Shakespeare is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Baltimore or less
Posts: 4,113
I can't imagine how broken up OJ must be that he still hasn't found the 'real killer'.
  #4  
Old 06-12-2019, 06:08 PM
nearwildheaven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 12,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. U. Shakespeare View Post
I can't imagine how broken up OJ must be that he still hasn't found the 'real killer'.
And now he claims that he doesn't even think about her any more.

SHE WAS THE MOTHER OF TWO OF HIS CHILDREN!

ETA: During the trial, I subscribed to a zine (remember those?) whose editor said she was involved in a local volunteer program teaching literacy classes at the local jail. She said that every black inmate with whom she had discussed this case (adding "and they call themselves black, not African American") believed he was guilty. The one person who told me that they didn't think he did it was a white man who thought his oldest son did it. I respectfully disagreed.

Last edited by nearwildheaven; 06-12-2019 at 06:10 PM.
  #5  
Old 06-13-2019, 10:43 AM
xizor's Avatar
xizor is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 5,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
She said that every black inmate with whom she had discussed this case (adding "and they call themselves black, not African American") believed he was guilty.
This was the same sentiment in my circle as well. Black people cheered the verdict, not because they thought he was innocent, but because a black man beat the system for a change.
  #6  
Old 06-13-2019, 11:19 AM
Annie-Xmas is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 54,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by xizor View Post
This was the same sentiment in my circle as well. Black people cheered the verdict, not because they thought he was innocent, but because a black man beat the system for a change.
Yeah, slicing up the mother of your children and an innocent bystander like sides of beef and getting away with it deserves a good cheering ass-whipping.

When OJ Simpson dies, I will do a Naked Happy Dance.
  #7  
Old 06-13-2019, 11:34 AM
Johnny L.A. is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NoWA
Posts: 60,978
They were murdered on my birthday.
  #8  
Old 06-13-2019, 11:55 AM
Annie-Xmas is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 54,091
Alternate theories to the "OJ did it" scenario:

Jason Simpson his son did it.
Drug lords did it (OJ's idea)
Faye Resnick was the intended target
Ron Goldman was the intended target
Random Brentwood killing
The police did it, and framed OJ
It was the work of a racist killer who hated black-white couples
Nicole (or Ron) had a jealous stalker who say them together and went psycho
  #9  
Old 06-13-2019, 12:31 PM
WildaBeast's Avatar
WildaBeast is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 203
You know you're getting older when you overhear a coworker explaining to another coworker, a relatively recent college grad, who OJ Simpson is.
  #10  
Old 06-13-2019, 12:58 PM
enalzi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
They were murdered on my birthday.
My 7th birthday ended up being a rainy affair so the pool party was cancelled. We all went inside and ate cake and watched the Ford Bronco chase.
  #11  
Old 06-13-2019, 01:05 PM
CaptMurdock's Avatar
CaptMurdock is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Evildrome Boozerama
Posts: 1,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by xizor View Post
This was the same sentiment in my circle as well. Black people cheered the verdict, not because they thought he was innocent, but because a black man beat the system for a change.
I remember driving to work the day the verdict was to be announced and seeing several police cars from precincts outside of central L.A. heading towards downtown, full of officers clad in riot gear. This was only a year or so after the Rodney King riots. The LAPD was preparing for a worst-case scenario if he had been found guilty..."and baby, they was open for business."
__________________
____________________________
Coin-operated self-destruct...not one of my better ideas.
-- Planckton (Spongebob Squarepants)
  #12  
Old 06-13-2019, 02:37 PM
Hermitian's Avatar
Hermitian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,444
I understand why people became so interested in the trial and it being a symbol of race relations (country wide) and policing in LA.

What I never understood is why many people seemed (and seem) so upset by her and Ron's murder. Yea, murder is bad, I got it. But a lot of people get murdered.

Did Nicole Simpson cure cancer or something when I wasn't paying attention?

Is there any particular reason why I should feel more sad for them than for any other of the tens of thousands of murder victims?
  #13  
Old 06-13-2019, 02:53 PM
WildaBeast's Avatar
WildaBeast is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 203
I was in 10th grade when the verdict was announced. I remember our history teacher let us watch it live on TV during class time.
  #14  
Old 06-13-2019, 03:06 PM
aceplace57 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CentralArkansas
Posts: 25,660
Poor Ron, drops by for a **booty call and walks into a knife.

They died so senselessly and the killer got away with it.

**if you aren't familiar with the scene, house was dark and candles lit for a romantic interlude. OJ was extremely jealous of Nicole and wanted her back. A Primary motive for the prosecutor.

Last edited by aceplace57; 06-13-2019 at 03:10 PM.
  #15  
Old 06-13-2019, 03:20 PM
skyr is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
What I never understood is why many people seemed (and seem) so upset by her and Ron's murder. Yea, murder is bad, I got it. But a lot of people get murdered.

Did Nicole Simpson cure cancer or something when I wasn't paying attention?

Is there any particular reason why I should feel more sad for them than for any other of the tens of thousands of murder victims?
Personally, I never felt emotionally invested in the case, but I can see why someone else might. Anytime you have a lot of news coverage about a murder, it will cause people to feel like they "know" the victims in a way. It probably also does not hurt that the victims were relatively young and attractive. That their killings were extremely violent, that their families were outspoken about it, and that justice was never served also probably made people more sympathetic.
  #16  
Old 06-13-2019, 03:23 PM
nearwildheaven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 12,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMurdock View Post
I remember driving to work the day the verdict was to be announced and seeing several police cars from precincts outside of central L.A. heading towards downtown, full of officers clad in riot gear. This was only a year or so after the Rodney King riots. The LAPD was preparing for a worst-case scenario if he had been found guilty..."and baby, they was open for business."
I have always believed that this was the rationale behind the verdict - that the LA riots were a little too fresh in everyone's minds.

During the trial, Newsweek mentioned that the sequestered jurors had all media censored to remove references to OJ, and a letter writer asked where he could subscribe to this service.

On a more serious note, when I heard about the Oklahoma City bombing, my first thought was, "How long will this knock OJ off the top of the news?" The answer? Two days.
  #17  
Old 06-13-2019, 06:34 PM
cochrane is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Nekkid Pueblo
Posts: 21,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyr View Post
Personally, I never felt emotionally invested in the case, but I can see why someone else might. Anytime you have a lot of news coverage about a murder, it will cause people to feel like they "know" the victims in a way. It probably also does not hurt that the victims were relatively young and attractive. That their killings were extremely violent, that their families were outspoken about it, and that justice was never served also probably made people more sympathetic.
Also, the main suspect was a nationally famous athlete, announcer, and commercial spokesperson.
  #18  
Old 06-13-2019, 10:23 PM
TokyoBayer's Avatar
TokyoBayer is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 10,394
I had already moved to Japan so I only had AP articles in the Japan Times to go by, and no one to discuss it with. I missed that entire episode, as well as countless other news.
  #19  
Old 06-14-2019, 07:00 AM
F. U. Shakespeare is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Baltimore or less
Posts: 4,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Poor Ron, drops by for a **booty call and walks into a knife.

They died so senselessly and the killer got away with it.

**if you aren't familiar with the scene, house was dark and candles lit for a romantic interlude. OJ was extremely jealous of Nicole and wanted her back. A Primary motive for the prosecutor.
IIRC, Goldman was dropping off a pair of sunglasses that she'd left behind at the restaurant he worked at.

A joke that went around:

Q: What did Ron Goldman say to Nicole Brown Simpson at the Pearly Gates?

A: "Here's your effing sunglasses."
  #20  
Old 06-14-2019, 07:23 AM
aceplace57 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CentralArkansas
Posts: 25,660
Ron was returning her glasses. I recall articles that reported she had been seeing him for a few weeks.

OJ was allegedly hanging around stalking her and snapped that night.
  #21  
Old 06-14-2019, 07:44 AM
Baker is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Tottering-on-the-Brink
Posts: 20,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. U. Shakespeare View Post
I can't imagine how broken up OJ must be that he still hasn't found the 'real killer'.
As Jay Leno once said, Come on, how much does a mirror cost?
__________________
Never give up, never surrender!
  #22  
Old 06-14-2019, 07:45 AM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is online now
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 83,389
My personal take is that he did it, and the cops framed him. If they'd just done their job properly, they'd probably have been able to put him away for life. But instead, they planted evidence to "guarantee" that they'd get him, and when that came to light, it created enough reasonable doubt that he went free.
  #23  
Old 06-14-2019, 07:49 AM
MichaelEmouse's Avatar
MichaelEmouse is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
I understand why people became so interested in the trial and it being a symbol of race relations (country wide) and policing in LA.

What I never understood is why many people seemed (and seem) so upset by her and Ron's murder. Yea, murder is bad, I got it. But a lot of people get murdered.

Did Nicole Simpson cure cancer or something when I wasn't paying attention?

Is there any particular reason why I should feel more sad for them than for any other of the tens of thousands of murder victims?
I didn't follow it that closely and I don't know how representative I am but what drew my attention and antipathy is someone using the fact that he's rich & famous to get away with murders.

That and America celebrity/news culture; If Charlie Sheen or Tom Brady killed two people and didn't go to prison for it, there'd be a lot of media attention too.

Also, wasn't that the time that 24hours news started to become widespread? The potential for intense, unrelenting coverage was there and just needed a match that involved race, money, fame, power and murder.
  #24  
Old 06-14-2019, 08:28 AM
Annie-Xmas is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 54,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
My personal take is that he did it, and the cops framed him. If they'd just done their job properly, they'd probably have been able to put him away for life. But instead, they planted evidence to "guarantee" that they'd get him, and when that came to light, it created enough reasonable doubt that he went free.
Another old joke: The LAPD is so incompetent they couldn't frame a guilty man.
  #25  
Old 06-14-2019, 06:37 PM
Der Trihs's Avatar
Der Trihs is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: California
Posts: 38,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
My personal take is that he did it, and the cops framed him. If they'd just done their job properly, they'd probably have been able to put him away for life. But instead, they planted evidence to "guarantee" that they'd get him, and when that came to light, it created enough reasonable doubt that he went free.
Quite possibly; I recall people commenting at the time that the LAPD was so used to framing innocent black men they honestly didn't know how to properly handle a case where he was guilty. They framed him because that was just standard procedure for them and it never occurred to them not to.
  #26  
Old 06-16-2019, 10:48 PM
Rilchiam is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Posts: 16,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
I understand why people became so interested in the trial and it being a symbol of race relations (country wide) and policing in LA. What I never understood is why many people seemed (and seem) so upset by her and Ron's murder. Yea, murder is bad, I got it. But a lot of people get murdered.

Did Nicole Simpson cure cancer or something when I wasn't paying attention?

Is there any particular reason why I should feel more sad for them than for any other of the tens of thousands of murder victims?
As already said, we heard a lot more about her life than we normally hear about murder victims' lives. And one of the things we heard a lot about was her being a battered wife, living in fear of her husband, then getting divorced and thinking she was free. And look what happened. That hits hard with many people.

As for Ron Goldman, it sucked for him because he didn't do anything except be there and be a guy. Being a young, good-looking guy probably didn't help either. If you've ever heard of Linda Sobek, a lot of people were saddened by that, too. No one had heard of her before she was murdered, but it could have happened to a lot of women no one had heard of.

Last edited by Rilchiam; 06-16-2019 at 10:48 PM.
  #27  
Old 06-16-2019, 11:12 PM
Win Place Show is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 260
maybe relevant (or not relevant?) to this thread, you have to be of a certain age to remember this dumbass TV show, but here's a segment from the 1992 TV dating-show "Studs" that featured Ron Goldman, in case you've never seen it before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6riN8FQHwyI
  #28  
Old 06-17-2019, 02:08 PM
Guinastasia's Avatar
Guinastasia is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 52,563
That reminds me, look who's decided to take a stab at Twitter!
__________________
Itís not you, itís your sports team.
  #29  
Old 06-17-2019, 03:07 PM
Shodan is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 39,176
We all know how OJ signs off from the Internet - //\ esc.

Regards,
Shodan
  #30  
Old 06-17-2019, 04:00 PM
nearwildheaven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 12,575
I should add that I have a distant relative (of sorts) for whom OJ was the best man at her son's wedding about 30 years ago. (They're still married.) How did this happen, you may ask? He was a member of the camera crew on the Hertz commercials, and he and OJ were best buds (or so he thought) and that's how it all happened.

Thing was, Nicole was a guestzilla and when it was reported a few years later that they were divorcing, nobody was surprised. However, even her son did not know the REAL reason why, not at the time anyway.

I also saw a TV interview some years back with one of Nicole's sisters, who has become a prominent DV advocate. One thing that she found beyond shocking was going into women's prisons to speak, and finding out how many women were in there for abusing their husbands or boyfriends - something they knew was wrong, and they did not want to do that when they got out.

Last edited by nearwildheaven; 06-17-2019 at 04:01 PM.
  #31  
Old 06-17-2019, 04:10 PM
Procrustus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pacific NW. •
Posts: 12,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilchiam View Post
.

As for Ron Goldman, it sucked for him because he didn't do anything except be there and be a guy.
I think I get your point, but Nicole Simpson didn't "do anything" either.
  #32  
Old 06-17-2019, 10:01 PM
zbuzz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 1,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
My personal take is that he did it, and the cops framed him. If they'd just done their job properly, they'd probably have been able to put him away for life. But instead, they planted evidence to "guarantee" that they'd get him, and when that came to light, it created enough reasonable doubt that he went free.
What evidence did they plant?
  #33  
Old 06-17-2019, 10:51 PM
aceplace57 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CentralArkansas
Posts: 25,660
I think he's referring to OJ's bloody socks?

Left in his bedroom. They looked out of place. Maybe because OJ was rushing to meet his cab or maybe they were planted?

They don't appear in a crime scene video.

I don't know. It's always been debated since the trial. A lot of stuff about the case has been debated.
https://www.upi.com/Archives/1995/07...4969806212800/

Last edited by aceplace57; 06-17-2019 at 10:55 PM.
  #34  
Old 06-17-2019, 11:38 PM
aceplace57 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CentralArkansas
Posts: 25,660
It doesn't particularly matter to me.

The bulk of the evidence points directly at OJ.
  #35  
Old 06-18-2019, 03:16 AM
GuanoLad's Avatar
GuanoLad is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Where the wild roses grow
Posts: 24,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Alternate theories to the "OJ did it" scenario:

Jason Simpson his son did it.
I don't know if the evidence stacks up to support this theory, but when I first heard it, it did seem a plausible explanation for the ensuing shamozzle and inconsistencies. It felt like it could've been a clumsy attempt at a cover-up.
  #36  
Old 06-18-2019, 08:44 AM
Annie-Xmas is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 54,091
Let's put this in a nutshell: Two people who did not deserve to die were slaughtered like sides of beef, and somebody got away with double murder.

That is an outrage. Anything else is secondary.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017