Old 06-13-2018, 08:01 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Interesting Times is one of the better Rincewind books. I think you'll like it.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:15 PM

If they're going to make movies of the whole series, I think they should put Paul Kidby together with Pixar.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:52 AM

I'd prefer Aardman did them, myself, or Laika, rather than Pixar. They both have the right sensibilities, in a way Pixar doesn't.

I'd say it was, in some way, capturing the essential Englishness of Discworld - Laika's as thouroughly American a company as Pixar, yet has a similar humour style to Aardman in e.g. Boxtrolls and ParaNorman.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

To me, the biggest problem with Unseen Academicals wasn't the football madness. It was that the football madness comes out of nowhere. If football were really as big in Ankh-Morepork as UA claims, then it should have at least been mentioned in one of the 20-odd previous books. And it wasn't even a leakage from Roundworld like movies and rock and roll were-- It's just "we have always played football against Eastasia".
Old 06-15-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
To me, the biggest problem with Unseen Academicals wasn't the football madness. It was that the football madness comes out of nowhere. If football were really as big in Ankh-Morepork as UA claims, then it should have at least been mentioned in one of the 20-odd previous books.
Ermm, except for that one time a soccer match helped settle the war between Klatch and Ankh-Morpork, you mean? Or this quote from Reaper Man (pg 21, while describing Ridcully's larger-than-life persona):
Quote:
The Archchancellor wanted the University to form its own football team for the big city game on Hogswatchday.

Last edited by MrDibble; 06-15-2018 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Clearly yet another sign that I need to re-read all of the books one of these days.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
To me, the biggest problem with Unseen Academicals wasn't the football madness. It was that the football madness comes out of nowhere. If football were really as big in Ankh-Morepork as UA claims, then it should have at least been mentioned in one of the 20-odd previous books. And it wasn't even a leakage from Roundworld like movies and rock and roll were-- It's just "we have always played football against Eastasia".
Have prior books focused on the life of families in the poorer areas? That seems to be the last place where the footie was happening, it being forbidden and all. And if that doesn't do it for you, blame the monks of time. There was a sweeper near the beginning. No telling what he had been getting up to.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Witches Abroad

I have a screw loose. I love moments in the Witches books, but I have yet to enjoy one very much. Things happen in them that make me smile, but I am never drawn into the characters the way the Night Watch books pull me in. In those books, I love cutting to just about every character or set of characters. In the Witches book, it's only ever OK for me.

I wonder if it has to do with the fact that I listen to the audio books for over 80% of the time I read these. Nigel Planer is great, but perhaps it is harder to bring to life a book about three women. Most of the Watch is male and maybe it is easier to change voices for them.

I'm not sure, but I haven't read a great Witches book year. I'll continue, of course. I enjoy reading them, of course. But they haven't lit up yet for me.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Unseen Academicals

I'm actually not done, but am about 80% through this and have some thoughts.

1. I like this book more than many of you. It's basically a wizards-novel, just one not focused on Rincewind. I like that, actually.

2. It seems very much to me like this book is a few stand-alone novellas that Terry Pratchett eventually merged into one story. We have:

- Glenda the cook's story
- Juliet the fashion model story
- The entire football story with Hex the computer, Trevor Likely, and Mr. Nutt

3. I almost wonder if this was a Rincewind book in part that gradually phased him out.

I picked this because of the World Cup and while not a great book, I like it quite a bit.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
I picked this because of the World Cup and while not a great book, I like it quite a bit.
Somebody has to, I suppose. It is only because of my completeness fetish that the book remains on the bookshelf. And I still own a copy of Battlefield Earth!
Old 06-28-2018, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Somebody has to, I suppose. It is only because of my completeness fetish that the book remains on the bookshelf. And I still own a copy of Battlefield Earth!
That bad? Why?
Old 06-28-2018, 08:25 PM

I liked Unseen Academicals, so you aren't alone.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
I'd prefer Aardman did them, myself, or Laika, rather than Pixar. They both have the right sensibilities, in a way Pixar doesn't.

I'd say it was, in some way, capturing the essential Englishness of Discworld - Laika's as thouroughly American a company as Pixar, yet has a similar humour style to Aardman in e.g. Boxtrolls and ParaNorman.
Or Kubo, which was magnificent.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That bad? Why?
I don't think the idea of orcs is a good one for the Disc and I frakking loathe football with every atom of my being. So there is really very little for me to like here. It is also extremely later Pratchett, which means he dictated it rather than wrote it, and it shows.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:42 AM

Quote:
I don't think the idea of orcs is a good one for the Disc
This would be the same Discworld that also has Gollum on it?

I found it a great dive into the "orcs - Born evil?" discussion that even Tolkien wrestled with. I love it, and find it a nice follow-up to Snuff in this regard (which I'm sure you also don't like, if you don't like the dictated books).
Old 06-30-2018, 09:54 AM

Wasn't there a clan of Mac Feegles whose swords would glow blue in the presence of lawyers?
Old 06-30-2018, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Jeff View Post
Wasn't there a clan of Mac Feegles whose swords would glow blue in the presence of lawyers?
Yes, the Wee Free Men book has this.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It is also extremely later Pratchett, which means he dictated it rather than wrote it, and it shows.
I am listening to Stephen Briggs read it and it is possible his voice smooths out the fact that it is dictated. I would not have known if you did not say.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

It's well established that the Disc contains a lot of concepts and one-offs that have leaked in from other worlds. The Frog-Like Humanoid Thing with a Birthday fits right in there. But that's different from making something an established part of the world, like the orcs.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:30 AM

It really doesn't bother me - we've already established that Dark Lords and Goblins and Dwarfs and Elves and Dragons and Trolls exist on the Disc in one form or another. Orcs are very much part of that whole scene.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:09 PM

Also gnolls, the name (if not the description) of which came from DampersandD.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Also gnolls, the name (if not the description) of which came from DampersandD.
Well, the spelling does. Dunsany has gnoles (which the original D&D description of gnolls references).
Old 10-02-2018, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

The Fifth Elephant

I'm too weak. I may just run the rest of the City Watch series because it is clearly the best thing in the Discworld. Small Gods is a better novel, but my favorite books involve Vimes, Carrot, and all my other friends in the Watch.

I like The Fifth Elephant better than Jingo, but I still think that Clay Feet is the best of the series up to this point(uh, the City Watch series, I mean).

I may go directly from this one into Night Watch, which I always hear is very well received by many.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Lucky bastard.

Night Watch is where Pterry commits Literature.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Small Gods is a better novel
Ahem. Small Gods is his best novel.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Ahem yourself. Second best.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
It's in my top 5 of all time.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
I used to think so, too. Then Night Watch came out.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

I do not know whether Small Gods is the best Discworld books. But it's certainly one of the best, and it's also more disconnected than most from the rest of the series, which makes it a very good starting point.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I do not know whether Small Gods is the best Discworld books. But it's certainly one of the best, and it's also more disconnected than most from the rest of the series, which makes it a very good starting point.
I would recommend it to anyone starting out. I tried twice to get into the Discworld(once with Mort and once with Colour of Magic) and struck out twice.

Small Gods pulled me in.

I've read 19 of them now and may eventually find my way through all of them.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Night Watch

My 20th Discworld book.

It was great, clearly more of a Sam Vimes novel than a "city watch" novel, but it was great and one of my favorites. Clearly top shelf Discworld.

In the end, did Lord Vetinari reveal he has always known that it had been Vimes or did he say he just realized it was Vimes a moment ago? I think Vimes actually changed the past, so didn't Lord Vetinari tell him he just realized Vimes had been in the past?

I still think Small Gods is the vastly superior novel, but Night Watch is in my top level of Terry Pratchett. Might be the second best one, but certainly third or fourth if not number two.

Great book.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Lords and Ladies

Wow. I mean...wow.

I have a confession to make. I have not been a huge fan of the Witches novels up to this point. I was hoping for a series as enjoyable as City Watch, but it just hasn't been even close. My thoughts up to this point were:

Equal Rites(Boring)
Wyrd Sisters(Only OK)
Witches Abroad(OK)

I thought Witches Abroad is where things were supposed to improve, but it didn't for me.

Lords and Ladies? A GREAT novel, in my top 3-4 Discworld books so far. I loved it. I felt like all three witches clicked into greatness in this book. Each had their awesome moments and I fell in love with them at various points of the book.

Definitely the best Witches book so far and one of my favorite Discworld books overall. I was hugely and happily surprised.

Highly recommended.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

21 books in, here is my ranking from best to worst:

Small gods
Lords and Ladies
Night Watch
Reaper Man
Feet of Clay
Men at Arms
Soul Music
Fifth Elephant
Jingo
Guards! Guards!
Mort
Wee Free Men
Unseen Academicals
A Hat Full of Sky
Witches Abroad
Wyrd Sisters
Sourcery
Colour of Magic
The Light Fantastic
Equal Rites
Faust Eric
Old 11-30-2018, 06:58 PM

I just finished my second full readthrough, though including the Tiffany Aching books for the first time. I think I Shall Wear Midnight was a great book to go out on.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Rik View Post
I just finished my second full readthrough, though including the Tiffany Aching books for the first time. I think I Shall Wear Midnight was a great book to go out on.
Absolutely! That one is probably my favorite.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:05 PM

Read The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents. It's considered a YA book, but I love it, second only to Small Gods.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

You know that there was one more Aching book, right? The Shepherd's Crown was probably the least of the Aching books, but that still puts it pretty good.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
You know that there was one more Aching book, right? The Shepherd's Crown was probably the least of the Aching books, but that still puts it pretty good.
That's the one I meant.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Interesting Times

Well, the first good Rincewind book. In fact, with him teaming up with Cohen and his "colleagues", it was kind of like a City Watch book. I am a teacher and I could not help but relate to his plight. I, too, dream of the great free period in the sky.

Yeah, so this was definitely the best Rincewind book so far and I found myself laughing throughout. I've always enjoyed the Wizards, but I think Rincewind's stories have been muddled up to now. In fact, I kind of hated Colour of Magic.

My favorite exchange:

Quote:

'I decided to give it up and make a living by the sword.’

‘After being a teacher all your life?’

‘It did mean a change of perspective, yes.’

‘But...well…surely…the privation, the terrible hazards, the daily risk of death…’

Mr Saveloy brightened up. ‘Oh, you’ve been a teacher, have you?'
Old 01-04-2019, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, Interesting Times has a special resonance to us teacher-type folk.

My favorite lines are "Just because it's not nice doesn't mean it's not miraculous" and Rincewind's battle cry.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

I rather liked Saveloy's berserker rage, myself.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
No and no. Lords and Ladies makes absolutely zero sense out of context. If you don't know the coven, the whole impact of the book is lost. So Witches Abroad needs to be read first. Same same for Hogfather. If you don't know DEATH, the book loses most of its charm. It really needs Soul Music as a lead in.

Publication order really is the best bet here.
Lords and Ladies was the very first Pratchett that I ever read, and hooked me at once. So I respectfully disagree.

I do agree that a re-read after the other witches books brings a new depth.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:02 PM

It's been a while, but I had a set of Discworld books I'd give to friends to start them out.

1 and 2 : Color of Magic and Light Fantastic. I feel they're all the same book some publisher decided to split in half. They belong together.
3 : Witches Abroad because of the potato salad comment and the river boat scenes.
4 : Reaper Man because I couldn't find Mort at my bookstore and RM was great.
5 : Guards! Guards!" . A great intro to the Watch.

If I was going to add a 6th book, maybe The Truth
Old 01-05-2019, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Reaper Man was better than Mort, anyway. I'd call it the best of the DEATH books, though Hogfather is a close contender.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Reaper Man was better than Mort, anyway. I'd call it the best of the DEATH books, though Hogfather is a close contender.
I agree that RM is better than Mort.

Have you guys read the Science of the Discworld books? I see that after Last Continent, Rincewind branches off into those.

How are the Science books? How much of them is "novel" and how much is science book?

Edit: I just realized Unseen Academicals is sometimes called a Rincewind book. I read it and he was barely in it, so I don't count it that way. More like a stand alone "wizards" book.

Last edited by Mahaloth; 01-05-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:37 PM

Was it in Jingo where Carrot was the referee for a soccer match?
Old 01-05-2019, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

Yep.

"And Captain Carrot is organizing a football match."
"He's what?" said Vimes, lowering the bow. Suddenly the world had to be real again. If Carrot was doing something as dumb as that, things were normal.
"Quite a large number of fouls so far, I'm afraid. But I wouldn't call it a battlefield."
"Who's winning?"
"Ankh-Morpork, I believe. By two hacked shins and a broken nose."
Old 01-06-2019, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Have you guys read the Science of the Discworld books? I see that after Last Continent, Rincewind branches off into those.
They're Wizard books much more than Rincewind books. Last Continent is really the last book that has Rincewind as more than a supporting character.
Quote:
How are the Science books? How much of them is "novel" and how much is science book?
About 50/50 - they alternate chapters of wizard-based story with real-world science discussion.

Last edited by MrDibble; 01-06-2019 at 04:50 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
I thought Witches Abroad is where things were supposed to improve, but it didn't for me.

Lords and Ladies? A GREAT novel, in my top 3-4 Discworld books so far. I loved it. I felt like all three witches clicked into greatness in this book. Each had their awesome moments and I fell in love with them at various points of the book.
Late response, but, yep, I agree. I liked the first witches books, but they're basically parodies with a trio of goofy witch cliches. L&L is where they become real characters and get real interesting. L&L and Maskerade are both delightful, with Carpe Jugulum being solid but messier and maybe a little bit too much of a parody again.

The witches are my favorite subseries, but only because I LOVE the Tiffany Aching books which dovetail out of the witch books and feature the coven at their absolute best-written.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by typoink View Post
Late response, but, yep, I agree. I liked the first witches books, but they're basically parodies with a trio of goofy witch cliches. L&L is where they become real characters and get real interesting.
This started in Witches Abroad, for me - Granny's visceral anger at her sister for "getting to have all the fun" and forcing her to "be the Good one" was very good character writing, and the whole idea of "feeding people to stories" was prime early Pratchett-being-literary.