Old 12-20-2018, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

A Deadwood Movie - It's really happening

It sounds like it's really happening, and virtually everyone is back.

https://ew.com/tv/2018/11/05/deadwood-movie-starts/

https://ew.com/tv/2018/12/19/deadwoo...ory-interview/
Old 12-20-2018, 09:35 AM

Well, the cocksucking pigs need feeding!
Old 12-20-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltaire View Post
Well, the cocksucking pigs need feeding!
Cocksucker took the words out of my fucking mouth.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:52 AM

I can't believe Timothy Olyphant is 50. Here he is in a still from the new movie.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:52 PM

Trailer (teaser, really) released today! And the premier date was announced: May 31.

Last edited by TroutMan; 03-21-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:47 PM

So what's the deal, does this pick up where the show left off or many years later?
Old 03-21-2019, 04:11 PM

About 12 years later, in 1889.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:27 PM

Deadwood, Sopranos, Breaking Bad. It's a good year for movies based on critically acclaimed TV shows.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
Trailer (teaser, really) released today! And the premier date was announced: May 31.
The cocksuckers shouldn't tease. I've had to wait a decade as it is.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoR View Post
The cocksuckers shouldn't tease. I've had to wait a decade as it is.
The fucking teasing ends May 31. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man...and give some back.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCube View Post
Deadwood, Sopranos, Breaking Bad. It's a good year for movies based on critically acclaimed TV shows.
There's also a movie follow-up to Downton Abbey scheduled to be released in September.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
About 12 years later, in 1889.
Could have a plot point since that's the year South Dakota became a state. (North Dakota too, coincidentally). There were several decisions made then, such as the north/south split and moving the capital from Yankton to Pierre. The Wounded Knee massacre would happen the next year in 1890.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

The press for the trailer explicitly says that the reason for the reunion of the characters is the occasion of statehood.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:57 PM

Need to check with little bro and see if he still has those graves in Mount Moriah Cemetery my dad bought decades ago. Bro didn't cash in when the series was running. Thirty five feet from Wild Bill and Calamity Jane.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
There's also a movie follow-up to Downton Abbey scheduled to be released in September.
I look forward to the inevitable, and hugely essential cross-over. Not sure who I'd back in a stand up fight between the Duchess of Grantham and Al Swearagainandagain.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

I'm as excited as the next hooplehead about this one.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

FYI, the movie premieres on HBO tomorrow night (Friday, May 31).
Old 05-30-2019, 02:14 PM

There's an article in this week's (May 27) New Yorker about Milch. He's not in good shape.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...lchs-third-act
Old 05-30-2019, 02:26 PM

Here is an interesting dinner conversation that includes Timothy Olyphant and David Milch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxL4je_EYz8
Old 05-30-2019, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwittingAmericans View Post
There's an article in this week's (May 27) New Yorker about Milch. He's not in good shape.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...lchs-third-act
That article mentions a pilot he did for HBO for a show called "The Money" which is described as King Lear meets the Murdochs. That actually sounds quite a bit like Succession, the second season of which is on HBO's schedule for later this year. So perhaps HBO continued with the idea in a different direction?
Old 05-31-2019, 07:24 PM

Less than an hour to wait!
Old 06-01-2019, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

I hoped for a good send off and I got it IMO. It was like they never had gone. The tone, feel and dialogue were spot on. Most of the characters got their moment even if it was just a scene or two.

Fantastic, couldn't be happier with it. A tear was shed. Defiant to the end.

Last edited by yojimbo; 06-01-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 02:23 PM

Just watched it. Everyone had a moment. They managed to get virtually everyone back (who is still alive) for this movie and I am glad.

Oh...Cocksucker!
Old 06-01-2019, 02:24 PM

I didn't much care for the dialogue. Sounded like Shakespeare-in-the-park. Some of the actors pulled it off. Most didn't.

Good story. Loved the Jewish stuff and was about as mystified by some of it as the characters appeared to be. Bullock's moment of truth was outstanding, when he decided to do what he was supposed to do rather than what he wanted to do. Jane's scenes were magnificently filthy and full of heart. The fights in the alley and outside the hotel were pure Deadwood.

A little disappointed that the whole place didn't burn down, but I guess they left historicity behind several seasons back.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:46 PM

I got a little misty during the funeral scene.

Overall it was really well done. I didn't re-watch the series in anticipation of the movie; haven't seen most of the episodes in over a decade. For me it seemed just a bit off, like a near-perfect tribute band, but I was grateful to have it all the same.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
I got a little misty during the funeral scene.

Overall it was really well done. I didn't re-watch the series in anticipation of the movie; haven't seen most of the episodes in over a decade. For me it seemed just a bit off, like a near-perfect tribute band, but I was grateful to have it all the same.
Same here. I thought it missed the mark, probably because of the convoluted dialog, which seemed to be the point of the movie, with the plot being secondary. If I hadn't turned on the CC, I'd have been lost.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:07 AM

David Milch is suffering from Alzheimer's disease, so we might cut him some slack.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:39 PM
Friend of Cecil

I thought it was great. I think it helps looking at “Deadwood “ as being Al Swearengen’s story. True, the movie never quite hit me like some of the episodes did, but then that is an awful lot to ask.
Last, I think “Deadwood” was always more about characters than plot, and stayed true to that in the movie.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreysonCarlisle View Post
I didn't much care for the dialogue. Sounded like Shakespeare-in-the-park. Some of the actors pulled it off. Most didn't.
I think it's fair to say that if you didn't like the dialogue in the movie (which isn't everyone's cup of tea), you probably didn't like the series.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spifflog View Post
I think it's fair to say that if you didn't like the dialogue in the movie (which isn't everyone's cup of tea), you probably didn't like the series.
It's not fair to say that. But hey, thanks for trying to read my mind!

Some of the characters in the series frequently used flowery, formal, or downright purple dialogue. Jane, Utter, especially Farnum. But in the movie, it was practically everybody, all the time.

I have a theory, though, that it was intentional. One of the complaints about the series was that the speech wasn't very accurate for the period. Milch responded that if they'd written the dialogue the way people then actually spoke, viewers would think it was ridiculous. Maybe the movie was intended to be more accurate.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:47 PM

I kinda thought it was a bit meh. Probably because the flashbacks seemed to mess with the pacing IMO. Loved hearing that old dialogue again.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spifflog View Post
Loved the series, didn't care for the movie, and for the same reason.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turek View Post
It sounds like it's really happening, and virtually everyone is back.
Just wish Tolliver could have come back. RIP, Mr. Boothe.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:37 PM

I considered re-watching the series before the movie premiered, but decided not to put the time in. So, nearly 13 years later, it took me a little while to re-acquaint myself with the characters and recall how they all fit together. That said, it all felt very familiar, and the flashback scenes helped plug some of the holes in my memory.

I actually enjoyed the Shakespearean-style dialogue, as I did originally. True, some of the actors pulled it off better than others, but I think Gerald McRaney, Timothy Olyphant, and especially Ian McShane could take turns reading names out of the phone book and Id be captivated.

I was sort of waiting for more to happen; it seemed to keep building toward a big climax that never really came. But the deliberate pacing was true to the tone of the series, and as Isosleepy pointed out, it was more about the characters than the plot anyway. I was satisfied.

One last thing: Did Garret Dillahunt make an uncredited cameo appearance? I swear he was one of the townspeople attacking Hearst toward the end. That would have been a sly little inside joke.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
One last thing: Did Garret Dillahunt make an uncredited cameo appearance? I swear he was one of the townspeople attacking Hearst toward the end. That would have been a sly little inside joke.
I thought the same thing. I even checked IMDB, but no mention. It certainly looked like him.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:46 PM

Yes, it was clearly him. He had two lines in the same scene: First after the bottle was thrown and they turn around to look, he's the one who said the line from the crowd, which I forget. Something like a threat.

Then as they kept walking he also said something like I hope you die like my boys died, I think it was.

Absolutely, 100%, it was him. I rewound and basked in his cameo glory a couple times.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreysonCarlisle View Post

I have a theory, though, that it was intentional. One of the complaints about the series was that the speech wasn't very accurate for the period. Milch responded that if they'd written the dialogue the way people then actually spoke, viewers would think it was ridiculous. Maybe the movie was intended to be more accurate.
I heard the opposite. That most of the dialogue was historically accurate, intentionally. But the cursing was modernized because everyone would think it was a hilarious Yosimite Sam impression otherwise.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post

Yes, it was him. Timothy Olyphant discussed his appearance in one of the interviews published prior to the movie being aired.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/05/timo...h-bullock.html

Quote:
I heard Dillahunt was in this. He was the only actor to play two roles on Deadwood, and now hes got the trifecta.

He played Drunk Number Two! He didnt even get top drunk! [Laughs.] Talk about a reason to call your agent. Hey, why am I not Drunk Number One?
Old 06-10-2019, 04:27 PM

I really liked it --but looked at it like two episodes from an imaginary "Season 12"... nothing was really resolved ( like....what was going to happen to Hearst in the morning? To Trixie..a week later? Who knows? )...it was just another couple of days in the town.