Old 05-30-2019, 10:00 AM

So usually the Detour tasks are split between "Do this perfectly and you'll finish very quickly, screw up and you could take a long time" and "This will take a set amount of time, you can't do a lot to change it" tasks. But in this case, the Afghanimals did the mental task, finished it perfectly, got their clue first, but got screwed down to 4th place because the goddamn train left? That's just terrible planning on the producers' part, IMHO.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:48 AM

I think the funicular goes up and down on a set schedule. Note that there were other passengers aboard while the racers were riding it. It was public transportation, like a train or bus.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:57 AM

Yes, that was the reason they gave on the show, but I still think that's pretty crappy. If they couldn't design the task so you could breeze through it if you did the mental part perfectly, they should have scrapped it.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
The first Head to Head they didn't show even though it severely changed team rankings.This second Head to Head they did show even though it changed no rankings whatsoever. Where's the logic in that?

Head to Head challenges in the international versions are usually placed between the Detour and the Roadblock, so teams still have a chance to make up time. The placement right before the Pit Stop is just lame.

At this point, the teams are starting to be affected by race fatigue. Chris and Brett rushed up the minaret, completely missing the clue box. Tyler and Korey over-confidently didn't bother counting the steps. Janelle ran off through the market looking for a Rolex watch, not bothering to carefully read the clue or look at her surroundings. The Afghanimals couldn't even answer a simple quiz after how many tries. And Elissa has had enough of Rachel's whining. (I agree, the last bit was genius.)
So Tyler said they had looked up the number of steps before the race started. I wasn't aware that the contestants knew beforehand where they would be going. Have they always had this information?
Old 05-30-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora maire View Post
So Tyler said they had looked up the number of steps before the race started. I wasn't aware that the contestants knew beforehand where they would be going. Have they always had this information?
They didn't say anything about "before the race started" - they just said they had done research on the mosque. They knew they were going to the mosque from the time they left Dubai, so they may have just asked around on the plane for people with a tour book or something. Or just bought a tour book. Definitely something good racers do - if you know you're going to an interesting site in a country, find out everything you can.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:02 PM

I just watched again, and they said they had looked up info on the mosque online, so they may have borrowed someone's smartphone to look up their destination.

Alternatively, it appears US citizens have to apply for a visa to Uganda at least 2 weeks ahead of time, so they did know Uganda was a potential destination - I've read that the TAR producers make contestants get many more visas than they'll actually need so they're never sure where they're going. So it's at least possible that they picked that mosque as something to research ahead of time - though researching and remembering all that information for multiple destinations seems pretty difficult. Especially since they were so confident in their number that they didn't even bother counting.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
I just watched again, and they said they had looked up info on the mosque online, so they may have borrowed someone's smartphone to look up their destination.

Alternatively, it appears US citizens have to apply for a visa to Uganda at least 2 weeks ahead of time, so they did know Uganda was a potential destination - I've read that the TAR producers make contestants get many more visas than they'll actually need so they're never sure where they're going. So it's at least possible that they picked that mosque as something to research ahead of time - though researching and remembering all that information for multiple destinations seems pretty difficult. Especially since they were so confident in their number that they didn't even bother counting.
Yeah, knowing which countries you might go to would be reasonable. I just thought they did not know anything about a roadblock or detour location until they got there.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
The top four teams were all Amazing Racers while the bottom three were not (except for Rachel). That's pretty much how it's been for the whole race.

They've had three non-elims so far, and saved two BB teams and one Survivor team. If fact, if they hadn't had any non-elims, we'd be down to an all Amazing Racers season at this point.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:32 PM

Team Reilly looked like they had just got done sucking 12 bitter lemon when Phil told Team Vicole that it was a non-elimination leg.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post
Team Reilly looked like they had just got done sucking 12 bitter lemon when Phil told Team Vicole that it was a non-elimination leg.
*refrains from wishing it had been bitter almonds, instead*
Old 05-30-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong View Post
They've had three non-elims so far, and saved two BB teams and one Survivor team. If fact, if they hadn't had any non-elims, we'd be down to an all Amazing Racers season at this point.
The good news is that there are only three NELs so it'll be knockouts from here on out. Here's hoping Team Whiny has sown so much bad blood that everyone votes for them to get U-turned next episode, which eventually gets them Philiminated.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Alternatively, it appears US citizens have to apply for a visa to Uganda at least 2 weeks ahead of time
That reminds me of something that struck me as odd last week. Tyler and Korey talked about the homophobia in Uganda pretty extensively, over multiple confessionals. They talked about how they felt going to a place that didn't accept them, about how the actual people were really nice so maybe it's not a policy everyone is gung-ho about. They talked about setting an example for people at home. They were almost in tears from the emotion of it all while at the airport to go to Uganda. Throughout the entire episode it was a point of emphasis.

That's all fine, and good; I'm not complaining or busting balls for that at all. What struck me as odd, though, was that apparently Chris and Bret were all "whatever" about it since we didn't hear a peep from them about it.

On their Survivor season, it was a pretty dramatic point of emphasis when those two went on a reward together and one of them (I forget which) came out of the closet to the other, who was already out. (EDIT: I may be misremembering, but I believe he wasn't out in his personal or professional life before he went on Survivor; he literally came out on tv. But of course he could still do it in person ahead of the episode airing since there are months between filming and airing.)

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 05-31-2019 at 12:28 AM.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:56 AM

Finally caught up on the last few episodes. Really disappointed when Rachel and Elissa survived by dint of a non-elimination leg, but on the other hand... I do love to hate them, none of the other teams really stand out to me (well, Team Fun is fun, I guess). Three NELs in the last 5 legs seems like a lot, though, and usually three is the max so I wonder if we're done with those for the rest of the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
What struck me as odd, though, was that apparently Chris and Bret were all "whatever" about it since we didn't hear a peep from them about it.

On their Survivor season, it was a pretty dramatic point of emphasis when those two went on a reward together and one of them (I forget which) came out of the closet to the other, who was already out. (EDIT: I may be misremembering, but I believe he wasn't out in his personal or professional life before he went on Survivor; he literally came out on tv. But of course he could still do it in person ahead of the episode airing since there are months between filming and airing.)
Chris isn't gay, IIRC Bret came out as gay to Zeke.

Last edited by magnusblitz; 05-31-2019 at 12:59 AM.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
That reminds me of something that struck me as odd last week. Tyler and Korey talked about the homophobia in Uganda pretty extensively, over multiple confessionals. They talked about how they felt going to a place that didn't accept them, about how the actual people were really nice so maybe it's not a policy everyone is gung-ho about. They talked about setting an example for people at home. They were almost in tears from the emotion of it all while at the airport to go to Uganda. Throughout the entire episode it was a point of emphasis.

That's all fine, and good; I'm not complaining or busting balls for that at all. What struck me as odd, though, was that apparently Chris and Bret were all "whatever" about it since we didn't hear a peep from them about it.
Just because we didn't hear about it doesn't necessarily mean that Bret didn't say anything about it. The editors choose what we see and hear. I also believe that confessionals are largely guided by what questions the contestants are asked by the producers. They probably wanted a narrative about Tyler and Korey dealing with the idea of going to Uganda, and so prompted them to talk about it.

The thing that struck me as odd about the situation was, yeah, Uganda is horrible to LGBT people, no doubt about it. But they had just come from Dubai, which also doesn't have a very good record on respecting the rights of gay people. And for coming in first in the Uganda leg, Tyler and Korey won a trip to Singapore. Where LGBT activity is also illegal. It seemed kind of weird to single out Uganda, while saying nothing about any of the other anti-LGBT countries they were visiting. Again, that may be on the editors--Tyler and Korey may have been just as nervous about being in Dubai--but it seemed like a strange distinction to me.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:

Bret is gay, Chris is straight, married to a woman, they have a couple of kids. As stated above, on Survivor Bret came out to Zeke, who is trans. I don't think it was a secret in his personal/professional life though - he said something about telling his friends and it not being a big deal.

Zeke was the one who was outed as trans on TV, against his will, and very few people in his life knew about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtoz View Post
Just because we didn't hear about it doesn't necessarily mean that Bret didn't say anything about it. The editors choose what we see and hear. I also believe that confessionals are largely guided by what questions the contestants are asked by the producers. They probably wanted a narrative about Tyler and Korey dealing with the idea of going to Uganda, and so prompted them to talk about it.
The producers may have thought it was better TV to have a pair of attractive 20-somethings talk about LGBTQ issues in other countries than a middle age overweight Boston cop.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:52 AM

I'm getting a little annoyed at the obsession with U-Turns. It's as if the producers want to make TAR more like Survivor, with alliances and back-stabbing and drama -- and the only opportunity to do so is the U-Turn. So they're banging this square peg as hard as they can, to force it into the round hole. They probably spent 10% of screen time this week discussing U-Turns in an episode that didn't have one.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:52 PM

Thanks for the corrections.

I would have sworn I remembered Bret coming out to Chris on the reward challenge. I could picture it in my head, clear as day, much like the "alternate ending to Big" people.

But as soon as I saw the first "no, that was Zeke" here in the thread that memory immediately transformed into Bret telling Zeke, which I also now remember clear as day.

Memory is a funny thing.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
The producers may have thought it was better TV to have a pair of attractive 20-somethings talk about LGBTQ issues in other countries than a middle age overweight Boston cop.
Also, just because Bret is gay doesn't necessarily mean he is as knowledgeable or involved with LGBTQ issues in the world.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:00 AM

You guys are right, no more NELs for the rest of the season. I kind of like getting all the NELs out of the way early.

The Afghanimals have been struggling pretty badly most of the race; not sure if they're going to survive much longer.

Not sad to see the Reilly sisters go. Does this mean Rachel is tied with the record for legs completed, since she didn't complete this one, or does she have the record alone?

Colin held it together admirably well with his broken cow, but I loved when he admitted he was thinking it. Still, they killed the entire leg, finishing 3rd or 4th after being U-Turned. Impressive.

With the Reilly sisters gone it's now a total sausage-fest, with now 9 guys and 3 women left in the race. I kind of wish every team had to have at least one woman on it, but not strongly.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:03 AM

Ah Darn, Team Reilly is gone. BOO!

Rachel may not have the record for most TAR legs very long.

Leo and Jamal have a chance to beat Rachel in legs completed.

Rachel had played two seasons, "completing" 12 legs in each season. They finished 3rd in both seasons

Leo and Jamal also played in two seasons, completing 11 legs in each season, finishing 4th in each season So if they keep in the race for two more legs, they tie, and three more legs, they beat them.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:54 AM

Every team that was saved by a NEL was a non-TAR team. I think they front-loaded the NELs to keep the non-TAR teams in the race for longer.

Colin was relatively unfazed by a recalcitrant bovine this time around. Zen Colin must be for real.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:55 AM

Happy the<bret>O'Reilly</bret> sisters are gone. I'm rooting for Tyler and Corey and Team Fun, but there's nobody left that I would be truly disappointed if they won.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:57 AM

I hope that was the only time we ever see that manufactured u-turn drama. One of the reasons I watch Amazing Race is that they don't do that Survivor/Big Brother bullshit. There's enough drama created from the race itself. I'm learning to live with stunt casting but don't do that crap.

I was glad to see the sisters go. Again, all their drama was manufactured and annoying.

I don't hate any of the teams left so no favorite to win at this point. I guess we'll see how they handle the fatigue going forward.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:28 AM

I watched a few episodes in a row after being busy the last few weeks.

Wow, Zen Colin is actually a thing. And he can laugh at himself too. I'm actually enjoying watching them, even their interactions at the mat and the way they look at each other. Good to see the change.

Rachel is just the worst. Whining and whimpering through tripe about how she wants her daughter to see her mother being strong and meeting challenges - only for her sister to shut her up. Happened a few times, as noted, and each time it was wonderful.

The enforced U-Turn drama is something that can go away any time now. Drop that, show all the roadblocks, challenges, whatever.

I'm actually finding myself barracking for Colin and Christie, and there's a thing I never thought I'd say - but, honestly, pretty much any team left now could win and I'd be okay with it.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:27 PM

Somewhere in the SDMB archives, there are some TAR rules.

I think one of them is do not choose a needle in the haystack option in a detour.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I think one of them is do not choose a needle in the haystack option in a detour.
Either they were way stupid in how they did their search, or there were not enough coins and such in the area. What would have happened if four or five teams had tried it?

I would have done that task, I have a shit memory and would never be able to remember a whole poem like that.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:

Rule 2: If you switch Detours, don't switch back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward The Head View Post
Either they were way stupid in how they did their search, or there were not enough coins and such in the area. What would have happened if four or five teams had tried it?
It wasn't clear on screen, but I assumed each team had their own area to search in.

Yet another leg where the Afghanimals struggled because of attention to detail. I'm curious how they will handle the final "arrange things based on the leg" challenge if they get to the end.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:53 AM

They brought back airport drama especially for Colin and Christie, didn't they? Nicole whining about Team Fun "cutting" in line. It's like she's never stood in a queue before.

You can still see that Colin intensity, but amazingly forgetting the gnome didn't make him blow up. The power of Zen!
Old 06-13-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post

It wasn't clear on screen, but I assumed each team had their own area to search in.
They didn't understand that you were supposed to search near the buoys. I don't totally blame them, they should have been yellow and red, not just yellow.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
They didn't understand that you were supposed to search near the buoys. I don't totally blame them, they should have been yellow and red, not just yellow.
I didn't get that from what they said. Those big buoys they had were for them. At least I thought I saw them pick them up on the beach. I would have assumed they were there so they had something to put that gnome on and if they wanted something to hold on to in the water. There was a section that looked like it was roped off but it was hard to tell.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:55 PM

Best mat greeters ever!

Dalmatian puppies!!
Old 06-14-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
I didn't get that from what they said. Those big buoys they had were for them. At least I thought I saw them pick them up on the beach. I would have assumed they were there so they had something to put that gnome on and if they wanted something to hold on to in the water. There was a section that looked like it was roped off but it was hard to tell.
There were four yellow fixed buoys about 15 yards out in the water. Those were separate from the "Diver Below" floats with the dive flags that the Racers brought with them and tied the Gnomes to. They were presumably told in the clue to search around the fixed buoys, though they never specifically said so.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:22 AM

I think it's been years, literally, since we had Airport Drama. Good to see it back.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Have we ever had a team leave a detour, come back to it and then leave again? They just made terrible decisions all around.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:24 AM

A long time ago there was a F-F team that came to a detour where both tasks were really physical. I only remember one -- it involved sort of pole vaulting across a canal or brook or something. The team was unable to do either task, and kept switching back and forth until I think they got Philiminated in the field.

Strangely, next week's coming attractions shows the racers doing that same type of vaulting over a canal thing.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong View Post
A long time ago there was a F-F team that came to a detour where both tasks were really physical. I only remember one -- it involved sort of pole vaulting across a canal or brook or something. The team was unable to do either task, and kept switching back and forth until I think they got Philiminated in the field.

Strangely, next week's coming attractions shows the racers doing that same type of vaulting over a canal thing.
I think you're think of season 15. It wasn't the pole vault (that was a roadblock). The two challenges were a weird game of golf in high grass (and you had a stroke limit) or going to a festival with one of those "hit the thing with a hammer and ring a bell" games. I'm pretty sure they attempted both twice before giving up.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I think you're think of season 15. It wasn't the pole vault (that was a roadblock). The two challenges were a weird game of golf in high grass (and you had a stroke limit) or going to a festival with one of those "hit the thing with a hammer and ring a bell" games. I'm pretty sure they attempted both twice before giving up.
Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of -- Good Memory!

It was nice to see an airport scramble again. I wonder how they came to do that again? Maybe some of the panic over airport security is finally waning.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Yes, that was Maria & Tiffany, who were both kind of petite. Before playing golf they had to swim across a canal, so that may be what SBS was thinking of. IIRC, there was a strong headwind, and the golf ball was actually large and hollow, so if you hit it any distance through the air it just came blew back to you.
Old Yesterday, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

I have a question about the previous week's episode, where the Reilly sisters were Philiminated. They left a clue behind at one point -- I think it was on the way to the hay cutting challenge, because when they got there they were trying to get Colin and Christie to let them read their clue. Isn't there a rule that when you get to the mat you have to have all of your stuff from that leg? It's a moot point since they came in last, but if they hadn't, would they have been penalized and had to wait before they could check in at the mat?

(I may be getting this confused with the rule about passports. I remember several years ago there was a team that left their passports in a taxi in Russia. IIRC they were allowed to check in, but could not begin the next leg until they had recovered their passports or got replacements. Which I don't think they were ever able to do and wound up being eliminated.)
Old Today, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Way stupid, I think. The editors highlighted the buoys several times, so it looks like they were searching on the fringes of the area - no wonder they couldn't find anything. And then the multiple task switches on top of that - yeah, not a good day for them, and pretty much all their own fault.

On having to have the clues, I think you can leave your clue behind, as long as you can still complete the task correctly, and actually picked it up in the first place i.e. no skipping the clue box along the way. The passport thing: I think it's happened different ways in the past. Toni and Dallas (I think) could keep racing because the next leg didn't involve crossing any borders - but some others were eliminated because they had a border crossing immediately and wouldn't be able to get a new passport in time.