Old 05-09-2019, 06:40 AM

I Want to Know What all this Avengers Endgame Stuff is About

So, everyone I know besides my kids has seen this Endgame movie 2 or 3 times and has been crying over it this week. I have seen zero of these movies. I told my friends and co-workers to feel free with the spoilers because I don't care.

Let's say I wanted to catch up on this because I'm bored and wouldn't mind relating a little to whatever the big pop culture of the moment is. Where do I start and how many movies do I have to watch before I see Endgame to know what is going on?
Old 05-09-2019, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Honestly at this point, unless you want to sit through 22 movies to get yourself caught up, I'd just head over to the Wikipedia page on the Marvel Cinematic Universe, go through the list of movies, and read the plot synopses and list of major characters for each one.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

All you need to do is watch 21 previous films

Here you go.

Old 05-09-2019, 07:52 AM

You absolutely don't have to watch all the previous movies. You could understand it pretty well with far fewer and probably still get almost all the emotional weight with 2/3rds ish.

I'd probably recommend:
  • Iron Man
  • Thor
  • Captain America: The First Avenger
  • The Avengers
  • Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Avengers: Age of Ultron
  • Captain America: Civil War
  • Doctor Strange
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  • Thor: Ragnarok
  • Black Panther
  • Avengers: Infinity War
  • Avengers: Endgame

I haven't seen the MCU Spiderman film, but I hear it's good. There are some plot points in the second Ant Man and introduction of Captain Marvel in her film, but neither is that important. Honestly you could probably drop Black Panther, the second Guardians, and Doctor Strange too but they're pretty fun. You could also drop Thor if you're ok with him just being in the first Avengers movie without backstory.

Absolute minimum, IMO, would be something like:
  • Iron Man
  • The Avengers

Last edited by Snarky_Kong; 05-09-2019 at 07:56 AM.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Well, it seems that some of James Cameron's fanbois have suddenly discovered the previously irrelevant concept of "adjusting for inflation" when threatened with the possibility of seeing their idol dethroned by a grubby Comic Book Movie[tm]....

Oh. You're asking about the actual movie, and not some tangential, albeit amusing, "stuff" associated with its box office success. If you aren't interested in watching but want to keep current with pop culture* the Wikipedia thing Shoeless suggested is probably the simplest option.

*Look on the bright side -- you don't have to catch up with seven decades' worth of it.

Last edited by Steve MB; 05-09-2019 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
  • Iron Man
  • The Avengers
I'd agree with this list. I saw Avengers before seeing Thor and saw Civil War before seeing Ant-Man or Black Panther and didn't feel as though I was missing anything in those movies. Not that the movies aren't entertaining, you just don't need them if you're going in fast as possible.

You could, of course, just read the plot synopsis for each film but why even bother seeing the capstone film at that point? The whole reason people have had any reaction to it is because they have investment in the characters brought on by a decade of films.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:29 AM

I'd agree with Snarky_Kong's lists, for the most part. Those are definitely the hits of the "universe."

If you were REALLY pressed for time, I'd say you could even go:

The Avengers
Guardians of the Galaxy (semi-optional)
Captain America: Civil War
The Avengers: Infinity War
The Avengers: Endgame

You'll be confused and there will be a ton of characters you don't recognize, but those movies most directly set up the plotlines that run into Endgame.

And I actually know somebody who watched Infinity War as their first Marvel movie and found it entertaining.

But, really, you're doing yourself a disservice by not watching at least a handful of the recommended movies. Marvel has done something pretty remarkable, both just in how they've redefined the idea of a "blockbuster" and how they've made the concept of an interconnected film franchise work in a way nobody ever has (or possibly will again).

Endgame is the Biggest movie ever made, bar none. The scope of the story is huge and the stakes are incredibly high. The quality of the filmmaking and visual effects are wildly high. The cast is enormous and phenomenal and the directors managed to not waste the talents of so many top-tier actors.

It's a movie that could have easily sucked or been cookie-cutter or felt predictable and simple. But it's not -- it's surprising, engaging, and fun; filled with heart and humor and soaring action and genuine drama. It takes risks throughout, and it manages to make things work that many other blockbusters have failed to pull off.

I'll admit to being a fan of the series from the start, but, even if I wasn't, I think I would be the first to say that it's just a damn impressive piece of pop culture.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:29 AM

I don't even think you really even need to see that whole set, if you're familiar with the basic concepts and characters.

I mean, I've seen Guardians of the Galaxy (1 and 2), Thor: Ragnarok, Dr. Strange, Black Panther and Avengers:Infinity War. I've also seen most of Iron Man, most of Avengers: Age of Ultron, about half of the original Thor, and part of the original Captain America.

But I'm familiar with the comic milieu and a lot of the characters, so I haven't had that much trouble following the movies that I have seen.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

ISTM that knowing the histories of the Infinity Stones is key to understanding, or at least appreciating, Endgame.

I've seen almost all of the movies, but my memory is pretty bad these days. And I could look this up, but I'm pretty sure that several people here know the answer off the top of their head: In which of the MCU films do the Infinity Stones appear?
Old 05-09-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
You absolutely don't have to watch all the previous movies. You could understand it pretty well with far fewer and probably still get almost all the emotional weight with 2/3rds ish.

I'd probably recommend:
  • Iron Man
  • Thor
  • The Avengers
  • Doctor Strange
  • Black Panther
Without spending too much time trying to remember which movies I've seen and not, out of these I've seen the bolded:
  • Iron Man
  • Thor
  • The Avengers
  • Doctor Strange
  • Black Panther

So not your recommended minimum list, but a similar number. I've also seen Ant-Man and the Wasp and Captain Marvel, which I'd put on the list of "should see before this movie", but I'd put it more like this:

If you watch a bunch of these movies, including some of the later ones that are in and of themselves full of references to previous movies, and you enjoy them despite noticing plot points and references that are quite obviously from a movie you haven't seen, then you could enjoy this after having watched just a few of these.

One or more of the movies that have the main characters, and preferably the latest installments prior to Infinity War, would be my recommendation if you're aiming at as few movies as possible.

There more of them you've seen, the more sense various references will make, but as long as you're happy even when knowing you're missing certain things, that doesn't matter.

Last edited by naita; 05-09-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commasense View Post
ISTM that knowing the histories of the Infinity Stones is key to understanding, or at least appreciating, Endgame.

I've seen almost all of the movies, but my memory is pretty bad these days. And I could look this up, but I'm pretty sure that several people here know the answer off the top of their head: In which of the MCU films do the Infinity Stones appear?
The Tessaract/Space Stone first appears in the post credits scene in Thor, when Nick Fury asks Erik Selvig to research it. It's the central item in Captain America: The First Avenger and The Avengers, and Thor takes it back to Asgard with him at the end. We see Loki steal it at the end of Thor: Ragnarok.

The Reality Stone first appears in Thor: The Dark World, not seen again until Infinity War.

The Power Stone first appears in Guardians of the Galaxy, not seen again until IW.

The Mind Stone actually first shows up in The Avengers inside Loki's scepter, and makes another appearance in the post credits scene of Captain America: The Winter Soldier. We find out about the Mind Stone in Avengers:Age of Ultron. It's in Captain America: Civil War since it's now part of Vision.

The Time Stone first shows up in Dr. Strange as the Eye of Agamotto, not seen again until IW.

The Soul Stone first shows up in Infinity War.

Last edited by muldoonthief; 05-09-2019 at 10:37 AM. Reason: ETA: Forgot about post credits scenes
Old 05-09-2019, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
The Tessaract/Space Stone first appears in the post credits scene in Thor, when Nick Fury asks Erik Selvig to research it. It's the central item in Captain America: The First Avenger and The Avengers, and Thor takes it back to Asgard with him at the end. We see Loki steal it at the end of Thor: Ragnarok.

The Reality Stone first appears in Thor: The Dark World, not seen again until Infinity War.

The Power Stone first appears in Guardians of the Galaxy, not seen again until IW.

The Mind Stone actually first shows up in The Avengers inside Loki's scepter, and makes another appearance in the post credits scene of Captain America: The Winter Soldier. We find out about the Mind Stone in Avengers:Age of Ultron. It's in Captain America: Civil War since it's now part of Vision.

The Time Stone first shows up in Dr. Strange as the Eye of Agamotto, not seen again until IW.

The Soul Stone first shows up in Infinity War.
I knew someone would know! Thanks, muldoonthief!
Old 05-09-2019, 11:51 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
  • Iron Man
  • The Avengers
I think this is pretty much right-on.

I might also suggest Ant-Man (though I don't think it's as much of a "must-see" as the above list) -- while it's not integral to the overarching plot surrounding the Infinity Stones, it introduces the Quantum Realm, and Pym particles, which play an important role in Endgame.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:00 PM

You don’t need to catch every detail to enjoy the movie. You can watch just Infinity War and then see Endgame and understand 98% of what you see.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:25 PM

You don't have to have watched the movies you just have to know the characters.
It is best to have seen a bunch because if you are not emotionally invested in the characters then you will miss some of the emotional punch of the movie. But it is understandable on its own.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:51 PM

Honestly, if nothing ever attracted you to watch any of these movies in the first place maybe these movies aren't for you. I'm a semi-fan, have seen all of them, and while I've found them entertaining they are far from being any of my favorite movies.
It's a lot of time to invest for something you have a mild interest in.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
Honestly, if nothing ever attracted you to watch any of these movies in the first place maybe these movies aren't for you. I'm a semi-fan, have seen all of them, and while I've found them entertaining they are far from being any of my favorite movies.
It's a lot of time to invest for something you have a mild interest in.
I mean, you can quit anytime you want. If you don't like Iron Man, then probably don't watch more and you only wasted 2 hours. It's not an all or nothing proposition.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

You really need to see Avengers: Infinity War before you see Avengers: Endgame. They're essentially a single two-part movie.

The rest of the MCU introduces all of the characters and sets up the background. But you'd be able to figure out what's happening without seeing them.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:44 PM
Sith Mod

Eh, you don't need to see any of the previous movies. Here's a primer for the important stuff going on in this film:

SPOILER:
There's this big purple dude named Thanos who has this idea that the universe is overpopulated, and wants to do something about it. He gets a bunch of these magic stones, puts them in a glove, and uses them to erase half of all life in the universe, including most of the superheroes. The ones who survive are:

Steve Rogers/Captain America, who was frozen in ice at the end of WWII, and thawed out in the 21st century.

Tony Stark/Iron Man, who's basically Elon Musk but cool, and has a fancy suit he invented that's full of lasers. Steve and Tony used to be besties, but had a falling out.

James Rhodes/War Machine, Tony's other bestie. Tony made him his own suit full of lasers.

Thor, Viking god of thunder.

Bruce Banner, who turns into the uncontrollable rage monster The Hulk when he gets mad.

Natasha Romanov/Black Widow, a former Russian assassin. (Doesn't have a Russian accent.)

Clint Barton/Hawkeye, an American Black Ops type who uses a bow and arrows. Used to be Black Widow's partner.

Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel, a human who was exposed to magic space radiation and now can fly and punch space ships until they explode. Hasn't been on Earth pretty much at all since the late '80s.

Rocket, a genetically modified raccoon from outer space.

Nebula, Thanos' adopted cyborg daughter who has recently switched sides to be a good guy.

Scott Lang/Ant-Man, a thief who stole a suit that lets him grow or shrink, and then started dating the daughter of the guy who invented the suit.

Of the heroes who are dead at the beginning of Endgame, the only one you need to know about is Doctor Stephen Strange, a wizard. He used to have one of the magic stones Thanos used to kill half of everybody, and used it to look into the future to find the one reality that would lead, eventually, to Thanos losing. Apparently, letting Thanos win in the previous movie was part of this strategy.

At the beginning of the movie, Iron Man and Nebula are marooned on a derelict spaceship. Scott Lang is stuck in an alternate dimension called the "Quantum Realm," and has missed the whole Thanos thing entirely. Captain Marvel is helping refugees in a different galaxy, and also missed the whole Thanos thing entirely. Everyone else is on Earth, or dead.

A ton of the new movie consists of clever callbacks to events that happened in the other 21 films in the series. You won't get most of those jokes, and the big emotional beats probably won't land, but you should be able to figure out most of what's going on plot-wise from context.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Eh, you don't need to see any of the previous movies. Here's a primer for the important stuff going on in this film:

SPOILER:
There's this big purple dude named Thanos who has this idea that the universe is overpopulated, and wants to do something about it. He gets a bunch of these magic stones, puts them in a glove, and uses them to erase half of all life in the universe, including most of the superheroes. The ones who survive are:

Steve Rogers/Captain America, who was frozen in ice at the end of WWII, and thawed out in the 21st century.

Tony Stark/Iron Man, who's basically Elon Musk but cool, and has a fancy suit he invented that's full of lasers. Steve and Tony used to be besties, but had a falling out.

James Rhodes/War Machine, Tony's other bestie. Tony made him his own suit full of lasers.

Thor, Viking god of thunder.

Bruce Banner, who turns into the uncontrollable rage monster The Hulk when he gets mad.

Natasha Romanov/Black Widow, a former Russian assassin. (Doesn't have a Russian accent.)

Clint Barton/Hawkeye, an American Black Ops type who uses a bow and arrows. Used to be Black Widow's partner.

Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel, a human who was exposed to magic space radiation and now can fly and punch space ships until they explode. Hasn't been on Earth pretty much at all since the late '80s.

Rocket, a genetically modified raccoon from outer space.

Nebula, Thanos' adopted cyborg daughter who has recently switched sides to be a good guy.

Scott Lang/Ant-Man, a thief who stole a suit that lets him grow or shrink, and then started dating the daughter of the guy who invented the suit.

Of the heroes who are dead at the beginning of Endgame, the only one you need to know about is Doctor Stephen Strange, a wizard. He used to have one of the magic stones Thanos used to kill half of everybody, and used it to look into the future to find the one reality that would lead, eventually, to Thanos losing. Apparently, letting Thanos win in the previous movie was part of this strategy.

At the beginning of the movie, Iron Man and Nebula are marooned on a derelict spaceship. Scott Lang is stuck in an alternate dimension called the "Quantum Realm," and has missed the whole Thanos thing entirely. Captain Marvel is helping refugees in a different galaxy, and also missed the whole Thanos thing entirely. Everyone else is on Earth, or dead.

A ton of the new movie consists of clever callbacks to events that happened in the other 21 films in the series. You won't get most of those jokes, and the big emotional beats probably won't land, but you should be able to figure out most of what's going on plot-wise from context.
This references something in the spoiler box, but I think it's fine ...
Not a raccoon!
Old 05-09-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naita View Post
Not a raccoon!
I thought he was a build-a-bear.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:10 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by naita View Post
Not a raccoon!
Sorry. Genetically modified trash panda from outer space.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
You really need to see Avengers: Infinity War before you see Avengers: Endgame. They're essentially a single two-part movie.

The rest of the MCU introduces all of the characters and sets up the background. But you'd be able to figure out what's happening without seeing them.
I don't disagree with this but I can't imagine the point. It's like asking someone to just give you a one minute synopsis of a book's plot so you can read the final chapter. Why even bother?
Old 05-09-2019, 03:23 PM

Watch Iron Man, if you enjoy it watch the rest. The movies go from great to sorta ok, none of them are bad enough to skip. You might understand the plot if you watch a few of the movies, but you are really not going to get what the big hoopla is about. This is the conclusion to ten years and 22 movies worth of stories, that is why its such a big deal.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
Watch Iron Man, if you enjoy it watch the rest. The movies go from great to sorta ok, none of them are bad enough to skip.
I mean, THOR: THE DARK WORLD has its moments...
Old 05-09-2019, 04:45 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
I mean, THOR: THE DARK WORLD has its moments...
Yeah, for me, it's on the short list of MCU films that aren't that awesome (along with, IMO, Iron Man 2 and 3, and Avengers: Age of Ultron).
Old 05-09-2019, 04:50 PM

Ironically stuff from Thor: TDW is heavily featured in Endgame and I would have definitely put it in the "must watch to understand what is going on" list. Definitely on the "not that great" list also though.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:13 PM

For those of you with a WaPo subscription. here's a fun synopsis:
Everything that’s happened leading up to ‘Avengers: Endgame’

Quote:
Skip the soda this time around, friends: “Avengers: Endgame” will run past the three-hour mark, making the final installment in this era of the Marvel Cinematic Universe longer than each of the 21 films that precede it. That’s a whole lot of superhero sparring and interplanetary warfare to keep up with, given that “Endgame” combines nine franchises and more than 30 major characters — all of which began more than a decade ago with 2008’s “Iron Man.” Retaining that much information would be a superhuman ability in itself.

But don’t worry. We created a guide to all the important happenings leading up to “Endgame,” complete with a list of the characters involved in each one. It’ll have you ready to watch the movie in a snap. (Too soon?)
Old 05-09-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
I thought he was a build-a-bear.
rabbit!
Old 05-09-2019, 10:03 PM

I gotta say, I've watched a lot of Marvel movies (maybe all of them) but really didn't keep track of who's doing what where. And I've never taken ANY notice of the stones. Time Stone, Angst Stone, Ennui Stone, ehhh... don't care.

In retrospect, I've watched all those movies for the characters, not the over-arching plot. But that was enough for me to be blown away by the end of Infinity War and thoroughly love Endgame.

So if you want to do it my way, just watch the fun stuff: Iron Man for Robert Downey Jr.'s attitude, Guardians and Thor:Ragnarok for the broad humor, and Ant-Man & Wasp for Paul Rudd (his super-power is being Paul Rudd, and playing with his daughter). Then get serious and watch Infinity War (preceded by Avengers and Civil War if you find yourself intrigued by the Marvel universe).

Then, don't drink anything for six hours before Avengers:Endust...

Last edited by digs; 05-09-2019 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
I don't disagree with this but I can't imagine the point. It's like asking someone to just give you a one minute synopsis of a book's plot so you can read the final chapter. Why even bother?
I figure a three hour movie (five and a half hours if you include Infinity War) is more than a one minute synopsis. A movie that long should be able to stand on its own merits. Previous movies might add to it; but if they're necessary, the movie fails.

If you just watch Infinity War and Endgame, you're going to be able to follow the story. You'll understand what the characters' powers are by watching them use them, even if you don't know how they got those powers. You'll feel that some characters are supposed to be goofy and some characters are supposed to be taken serious by the way they act. You'll see that there's bad blood between some characters and close friendships between others, even if you don't know the details.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:40 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Its about money. They did a bunch of movies with all the individual characters to get people emotionally invested in the characters, then they did a film where thanos kills half of life, then the avengers have to get them back.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I figure a three hour movie (five and a half hours if you include Infinity War) is more than a one minute synopsis.
No, the one minute synopsis is just briefly reading about the other films. The three hour movie is the final chapter. Or reading the general overview of a ten season show just to 'start' the show by watching the finale. You can do it and perhaps even find the final part enjoyable but it still misses the point.

You can watch Endgame without having seen anything else, sure. You won't need 22 films worth of background to chuckle at "He said a funny" or think "Special effects are neat". You'll be able to follow "Half of everyone got dead and that sucks". But if you're trying to see what all the fuss is about, you'll completely miss it since much of the fuss is the culmination of the other films, not "That part where the guy hits the other guy was cool".
Old 05-10-2019, 03:27 AM

Pardon my ignorance on this but did they make all of those other films with the express intention of bringing them to a conclusion with this film?

I've seen a couple of them (GOTG 1/2 and a couple of Iron Mans (mens?)) and enjoyed them well enough on their own merits but never got a sniff that it was part of any bigger conceit.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
Pardon my ignorance on this but did they make all of those other films with the express intention of bringing them to a conclusion with this film?

I've seen a couple of them (GOTG 1/2 and a couple of Iron Mans (mens?)) and enjoyed them well enough on their own merits but never got a sniff that it was part of any bigger conceit.
Yes. This was the plan since 2005, when Marvel set up its own studio to produce its own movies. Make some standalone films (Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Captain America) then merge them in a crossover film (Avengers). If that was successful, throw more characters into the mix and keep going, culminating into the giant crossover that we got with Infinity War/Endgame. The real genius of the plan as you've discovered, is that each franchise - indeed, each film - mostly works as a standalone. No knowledge of the other films or franchises is necessary for you to enjoy the individual film on its own.

See Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:43 AM

Thanks for all the great replies and advice. I think I will start with Iron Man and attempt some of the more condensed plans suggested here. I guess I wanted some background without needing to watch 22 movies because that will not happen any time soon. I don't watch too many movies in general and most of them have been kids/family films since I've been a parent. The only one that almost got me into a movie theater when it was released was Black Panther, but I see that's not on most of the essential film lists here. Also, wasn't sure if I needed any background to enjoy that.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actualliberalnotoneofthose View Post
Thanks for all the great replies and advice. I think I will start with Iron Man and attempt some of the more condensed plans suggested here. I guess I wanted some background without needing to watch 22 movies because that will not happen any time soon. I don't watch too many movies in general and most of them have been kids/family films since I've been a parent. The only one that almost got me into a movie theater when it was released was Black Panther, but I see that's not on most of the essential film lists here. Also, wasn't sure if I needed any background to enjoy that.
1. You don't need any background to watch Black Panther.
2. You don't need to watch Black Panther to understand what happens in Infinity War & Endgame.
3. Watch it anyway, it's one of the best of the MCU. Especially since it's on Netflix, so you can watch it pretty effortlessly.

Last edited by muldoonthief; 05-10-2019 at 07:08 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
Watch Iron Man, if you enjoy it watch the rest. The movies go from great to sorta ok, none of them are bad enough to skip.
I saw the pre-MCU movies and earned a warning for being a jerk when I was rudely dismissive of 'Thor,' comic book movies and comics in general. Then I saw 'Iron Man' and got hooked. Throw out your preconceptions, lie back, and enter a different universe while you watch them all.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:14 AM

When they were replaying all the MCU movies in the theatre last year (for Memorial Day weekend, I think), I ended up rewatching all of the ones that have Black Widow in it.

So:
Iron Man 2
The Avengers
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Captain America: Civil War
Thor Ragnarok (a cheat because she only shows up in a video but I counted it)
Avengers: Infinity War

This could also include Captain Marvel (another cheat because she is only in the post credits scene).

I think it's a pretty interesting way to watch them and sort of has a through-line to work through. There's several things missing and some people would object to Iron Man 2 and Age of Ultron as "essential" but I liked that approach.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

Looking at it another way, which ones could you safely skip without missing out on anything?

Of the Iron Man movies, you don't need any more than one. Pick whichever you like, but the general consensus is that the first is the best one.

Of the Thor movies, the first one is pretty much completely unnecessary. You know Thor, he's the god of thunder, he comes from Asgard, he carries a big honking hammer, yadda yadda. The only important point is that only those who are worthy are capable of lifting the hammer.

The second Thor movie is surprisingly relevant to Endgame, but on the other hand, it's not all that great a movie, and there's a recap in Ragnarok that covers the important bits. If, when you see Thor and Loki interacting in the other movies, you said "I'd see a movie just for more of that, even if the rest of it sucked", then see The Dark World, because it's got lots of that, but otherwise, go ahead and skip.

Of the Avengers movies, you can go ahead and skip Age of Ultron. Mostly it introduces a few new characters, but those characters play a relatively small part in the most recent two.

Of the Guardians of the Galaxy movies, you can skip the second one. It's pretty fun, but not as much as the first, and has very little relevance to Infinity War.

You can skip the first Ant-Man. Everything you need to know is recapped in Ant-Man and the Wasp.

You can skip Black Panther. All you need to know is that Wakanda is a super-high-tech nation disguised as a low-tech one.

I've never seen the MCU Hulk or Spider-Man movies, and didn't feel like I was missing anything, but if anyone wants to contradict me on that, they can.

Of course, you can skip others, too, but anything beyond those, you'll be missing something, which may or may not be important.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:57 AM
Charter Member

Wow, *pain*. Thor, Thor: Ragnarok, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (and 1, but I love 2 more), Ant-Man and Black Panther are among my favorite MCUs, along with Captain America: Civil War. I adore beyond reason ALL the MCU movies, but those especially. Plus Avengers, Avengers: Infinity War/Endgame.

I'm useless, but I do get it. I've never seen one episode of Game of Thrones, and it'd probably be like asking, what episodes should I watch to be fairly up speed for watching the final episode next week. I'd imagine I'd get all kinds of different answers from fans who have followed the show from the beginning, and one person would leave out episodes that others love.

The great thing is, if you find, with whatever you watch, that you're interested in the world/characters, you can always go back at some point (even after watching Endgame, if you do) and watch them all in order. Even the "lesser" movies have great moments and interesting information. If you're not interested, no big deal.

I'd be interested in knowing what you watched, if anything, beond Iron Man.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:01 AM
Charter Member

Btw, nobody needs to tell me about Game of Thrones episodes to watch. I wasn't really asking. I figure I'll binge watch at some point in the far future, and I'll start with episode one.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
Well, it seems that some of James Cameron's fanbois have suddenly discovered the previously irrelevant concept of "adjusting for inflation" when threatened with the possibility of seeing their idol dethroned by a grubby Comic Book Movie[tm]....
It's not very interesting to rank movies without adjusting for inflation. I am a modest fan of Cameron's but I have to admit he's done a bunch of 1-offs that don't have anything like the emotional combined weight of the MCU. Avatar is mostly spectacle with a small serving of plot, less than any of the better MCU films. Titanic is similar, the plot can be summed up on a napkin. (two teenagers meet up and predictably fuck and then one of them drowns during a nautical disaster. The end)

Frankly, Terminator is way better than anything else Cameron has done, simply because it takes place in a story universe that is more interesting. Shame no one but Cameron has made a decent film. Also, the AI and robotics elements were extremely well researched and seem ever more plausible to this day. (even the "liquid metal" terminators look like actually plausible applications of nanotechnology...)

Though, admittedly, this creates the problem of adjusting for movies released during completely different eras when there were years of re-releases, and no competition. No home video or even TV. (Gone with the Wind)

Last edited by SamuelA; 05-14-2019 at 01:53 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:17 PM

There's also the question of whether you adjust for inflation as measured by the CPI, or as measured by the value of a movie ticket at a certain theater. Then you should wonder whether you should be considering the size of the population. Then you should think about whether foreign box office results matter. And then...
Old 05-14-2019, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
rabbit!
Sweet rabbit.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:51 PM

Or, if you want, you can get a video synopsis of the franchise by watching this. It is what I had my children watch (who had seen some, but not all of the films) before watching End Game. Although it is more enjoyable to watch the movies, it is made up of film clips, so you would be able to recognize the characters whenever they appear in film.

//i\\
Old 05-14-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actualliberalnotoneofthose View Post
So, everyone I know besides my kids has seen this Endgame movie 2 or 3 times and has been crying over it this week. I have seen zero of these movies. I told my friends and co-workers to feel free with the spoilers because I don't care.

Let's say I wanted to catch up on this because I'm bored and wouldn't mind relating a little to whatever the big pop culture of the moment is. Where do I start and how many movies do I have to watch before I see Endgame to know what is going on?
Let me save you some time:

There's a tall, muscular white guy. He's got super strength for some reason (science experiment, born a Norse God, whatever) He's got a girlfriend who he chastely kisses, but nothing more than that. He's got a minority sidekick. Maybe he has a piece of medieval weaponry. He fights, but for some unexplained reason he can't just use a gun and shoot people. Mostly he just hits people and things.

There's some bad guy (terrorist, Nazi, killer robot, space alien, whatever) who wants to either take over or destroy the world. There are several minor conflicts between the hero and the villain(s). Finally there's a big punching match at the end and the good guys win.

Repeat 22 times, with minor variations. Start having multiple heroes in the same movie. Make fight scenes bigger and bigger with each successive movie. Eventually let a black guy and a woman be lead characters. Do not ask annoying questions such as "Why does everyone agree to punching matches when they could be using guns?" or "Since the fate of the world is being determined here, why not send in a platoon of Marines rather than relying on a last stand by a tiny group of people?"

That's basically it.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITR champion View Post
Let me save you some time:

There's a tall, muscular white guy. He's got super strength for some reason (science experiment, born a Norse God, whatever) He's got a girlfriend who he chastely kisses, but nothing more than that. He's got a minority sidekick. Maybe he has a piece of medieval weaponry. He fights, but for some unexplained reason he can't just use a gun and shoot people. Mostly he just hits people and things.

There's some bad guy (terrorist, Nazi, killer robot, space alien, whatever) who wants to either take over or destroy the world. There are several minor conflicts between the hero and the villain(s). Finally there's a big punching match at the end and the good guys win.

Repeat 22 times, with minor variations. Start having multiple heroes in the same movie. Make fight scenes bigger and bigger with each successive movie. Eventually let a black guy and a woman be lead characters. Do not ask annoying questions such as "Why does everyone agree to punching matches when they could be using guns?" or "Since the fate of the world is being determined here, why not send in a platoon of Marines rather than relying on a last stand by a tiny group of people?"

That's basically it.
You just threw down a gauntlet in front of 30 nerds and took a pee on it.

Most of the important marvel superheroes (but not all) are bulletproof. Thor is bulletproof, his melee hammer is supernaturally powerful and lesser weapons won't harm him. The iron man armor is not only bullet proof, it's resistant to antitank weapons. The hulk takes minor damage from bullets but is able to regenerate in mere moments. Captain America's shield is bulletproof and presumably he's able to wear substantial body armor with his superhuman strength, though to be fair, in his movies he tends to fight with his head exposed. The guardians of the galaxy are sorta the comedy team and not particularly powerful. Ant man is too small to be targeted with bullets. Doctor Strange has a bulletproof cloak and is also wielding numerous magical powers that make shooting him difficult. Captain marvel is 100% bulletproof and is also spaceship mounted energy weapon resistant. Spiderman is bulletproof if he's wearing a suit made by Tony Stark. Black Panther wears a bulletproof suit and is shot many times in his movie.

Also in the iron man movies, the fights do happen using guns. The iron man armor has numerous forms of gun installed in it, from missiles to a laser weapon to "repulsor blasts" that are an energy weapon.

Marines with available loadouts in our world would generally not be able to deal with the level of threats seen in the MCU. However, yes, I do agree in general - in a realistic universe, not just costumed vigilantes would have access to weapons and superpowers. Governments would have found ways to replicate the various mechanisms that give individuals superpowers and would equip their elite, trusted forces with the powers. There is no rational world that would lose and never be able to replicate the serum and radiation that created Captain America. Tony Stark would not be able to develop such radically advanced armor by himself and even if his personal armor were superior to mainstream tech, the mainstream would have lesser versions of it in large quantities.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
And I've never taken ANY notice of the stones. Time Stone, Angst Stone, Ennui Stone, ehhh... don't care.
Underline mine: the X-Men aren't part of the MCU.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITR champion View Post
That's basically it.
I thought so. I'm just going to go off and be old somewhere.