Old 05-26-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Are you fucking kidding me? 42 posts before somebody mentions Heavy Metal?
I remember a lot about the movie. But not the soundtrack at all.

(I was an original subscriber. Den! Had like the first year or two of issues. Lost in a move. )
Old 05-26-2019, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Paris Blues has a fantastic Duke Ellington soundtrack. Despite a fantastic cast, it's a dull mass of cliches and only worth watching for historic reasons.

The movie FM put out a double album of contemporary songs to complement the radio theme. Led by Steely Dan's hit single of the same name, it was far more successful than the movie and went platinum.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
You're kidding about The Princess Bride, right? That has to be one of my favorite films of all-time.
Mine too. Come to think of it, half of what I say is quotes from the movie. That's why I said "But some of the films are pretty obscure."
Old 05-26-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillytom View Post
I love the soundtrack from Requiem for a Dream, but I know the movie itself is also quite powerful. That one song though ... I keep hearing it in other movies, like I think LOTR used it.
There was a version of the main theme called "Requiem for a Tower" that was used for the relevant LOTR film trailer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Requiem_for_a_Tower

A string quartet named Escala who got noticed on Britain's Got Talent covered that version as the lead track on their debut album (which is one of the last physical CDs I ever was gifted/bought).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escala_(album)
Old 05-26-2019, 07:31 PM

Singles and Empire Records are basically my teen years. Honestly. I owned almost every outfit. Yes, the soundtracks were amazing, but so were the movies.

I agree with Pump up the Volume, but um...everyone forgot The Legend of Billie Jean? Pat Benatar’s Invicible deserved SO much better!
Old 05-26-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
The movie FM put out a double album of contemporary songs to complement the radio theme. Led by Steely Dan's hit single of the same name, it was far more successful than the movie and went platinum.
See post #5.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:57 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
How about Star Wars? Imperial March, anyone?
Setting aside, for a moment, the fact that "The Imperial March" is actually from The Empire Strikes Back, you seriously believe that Star Wars is mostly known for its soundtrack?
Old 05-27-2019, 12:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Setting aside, for a moment, the fact that "The Imperial March" is actually from The Empire Strikes Back, you seriously believe that Star Wars is mostly known for its soundtrack?

Star Wars spent a year in some theaters. I suspect it was know for EVERYTHING.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:19 AM

Let's go back a few years:

Lieutenant Kijé is an obscure 1934 Soviet comedy (!), largely forgotten except by the most diligent students of 1930's European cinema. However, the film's original score is one of composer Sergei Prokofiev's most well-known and respected works:

The Lieutenant Kije Suite. This is probably the most well-known part.

Last edited by Alessan; 05-27-2019 at 02:21 AM.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:41 AM

Across the Universe is a very excellent movie. Shame on anyone who hasn't watched it!

The soundtrack includes 33 different Beatles songs, all sung by the movies' actors themselves. (Some weren't professional singers but still do a splendid job.) The storyline is an excellent romance story, but was designed in part to allow scenes to be punctuated with appropriate Beatles lyrics.

As just one example, here's a minor character in the story, telling us of her lesbian love. This character is named Prudence. (Guess which song is directed at her character when's she's pining over another unrequited love?)
Old 05-27-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
...As just one example, here's a minor character in the story, telling us of her lesbian love. This character is named Prudence. (Guess which song is directed at her character when's she's pining over another unrequited love?)
Why Don't We Do It in the Road?

mmm
Old 05-27-2019, 08:25 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post

Lieutenant Kijé is an obscure 1934 Soviet comedy (!), largely forgotten except by the most diligent students of 1930's European cinema. However, the film's original score is one of composer Sergei Prokofiev's most well-known and respected works:

No that’s I Believe in Father Christmas by Greg Lake.

Last edited by Loach; 05-27-2019 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:36 AM

The Crow.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Why Don't We Do It in the Road?

mmm
No, though that song is in the movie, Sadie singing. In the audience see afore-mentioned Prudence, along with Jude and Lucy before they become lovers.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:56 AM

Mondo Cane, the 1962 documentary

It's responsible for the musical piece More ("Ti Guarderò Nel Cuore"), which had words, but was more often played as an instrumental.

The film was not shown often after the initial release, AFAIK. It has been shown on US TV to my knowledge, including premium cable channels, and I've never seen it on any video form or streaming service.

The film was deliberately shocking and provocative, and inspired a lot of imitations. But its biggest inroad to pop culture was that bit from the soundtrack.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/More_(...rom_Mondo_Cane)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondo_Cane

Another good catch, referred to above, is Unchained. I have to admit that I've seen neither "Unchained" or "Mondo Cane"

And it's not a full-length movie, but the 1968 short Les Bicyclettes del Belsize's soundtrack featured the song with the same title, which was a big hit for Englebert Humperdinck when he covered it, and played incessantly on Easy Listening radio stations forever.

Until the internet made it easier to search for details on songs I had no idea where this song came from, or what it was about. I thought he was singing about the bicycles of Versailles, and didn't know why they would have them there. I hadn't heard of the short until I looked the damned song up.

But, again, I'll bet hardly anyone has seen the film, although they've probably heard the song. I certainly haven't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Bi...tes_de_Belsize
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Bi..._Belsize_(song)
Old 05-27-2019, 10:02 AM

Elvira Madigan and Mondo Cane remind me of A Man and a Woman.

A Man and a Woman theme.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Mondo Cane, the 1962 documentary

It's responsible for the musical piece More ("Ti Guarderò Nel Cuore"), which had words, but was more often played as an instrumental.

The film was not shown often after the initial release, AFAIK. It has been shown on US TV to my knowledge, including premium cable channels, and I've never seen it on any video form or streaming service.

The film was deliberately shocking and provocative, and inspired a lot of imitations. But its biggest inroad to pop culture was that bit from the soundtrack.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/More_(...rom_Mondo_Cane)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondo_Cane

Really? That's the out-of-context track you choose from a little-seen 1960's Italian "Mondo" film? Not, say, this one* from Sweden: Heaven and Hell (1968)?

* Or as you're probably more familiar with it, this cover.

Last edited by Alessan; 05-27-2019 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
See post #5.
Sorry. I somehow missed it.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Across the Universe is a very excellent movie. Shame on anyone who hasn't watched it!
I really like that movie as well, but I'd call it a jukebox musical and don't think it's what the thread is about.
Old 05-27-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Really? That's the out-of-context track you choose from a little-seen 1960's Italian "Mondo" film? Not, say, this one* from Sweden: Heaven and Hell (1968)?

* Or as you're probably more familiar with it, this cover.
I could've chosen both, in principle.

But the truth is, I was unaware that Manamana originated from that film.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:30 PM

I am shocked, Shocked we get to 70 posts and no one has mentioned Repo Man. Great punk soundtrack, weird ass movie.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampspruce View Post
I am shocked, Shocked we get to 70 posts and no one has mentioned Repo Man. Great punk soundtrack, weird ass movie.
Another example of a movie where I can't remember a single song from and can remember a ton of details, quotes, etc.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:50 PM

I was going to add Desperately Seeking Susan to the list but the Madonna song "Into the Groove" doesn't actually appear on the soundtrack album so I'm not sure if it counts. The song is definitely better remembered than the movie though.

Also would the theme to The Greatest American Hero count? It's probably better remembered than the TV show itself.

Last edited by dorvann; 05-28-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:

Love the Lieutenant Kije suite. But I love Prokofiev. My favorite use of it in a movie was in Crossing Delancey which also had a great collection of songs by the Roches.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Another example of a movie where I can't remember a single song from and can remember a ton of details, quotes, etc.
Me, too.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:00 PM

I can't believe I didn't think of Lost Highway until now. I never actually saw the movie but my understanding is that it wasn't that great. But anyone who was a teenager in the 1990s and listened to "alternative" rock should know the Lost Highway Soundtrack, which included several songs that got a ton of radio play in the late 1990s. I think even at the time the soundtrack was more well known at least among my peers than the actual movie.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:06 PM

Dead Presidents - mediocre Vietnam veteran heist movie, great 70s R&B and soul soundtrack.

I Am Sam - as it was brutally pointed out in Tropic Thunder, Sean Penn went "full retard" and went home from the Oscars empty-handed. The movie's soundtrack was comprised entirely of high-end Beatles covers.

She's the One - forgettable Jennifer Aniston rom-com. Soundtrack was literally a Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers original album.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:08 PM

Maximum Overdrive had the AC/DC album Who Made Who as its soundtrack I believe, although the album wasn't comprised totally of new songs.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:22 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

First soundtrack/film that comes to mind is Midnight Express. Giorgio Moroder's "Chase" got a lot of airplay and I'd say it's probably remembered more than the movie.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post
Also would the theme to The Greatest American Hero count? It's probably better remembered than the TV show itself.
If you're going there, consider Makin' It, starring David Naughton (most famous for An American Werewolf in London). The TV series was cancelled after 9 episodes. Two months after the show was cancelled, the theme song (sung by Naughton) entered the Top 40. It peaked at #5.

Last edited by mbh; 05-28-2019 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I can't believe I didn't think of Lost Highway until now.
It was exceptionally memorable for at least one reason not related to music.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:45 AM

The movies were successful, so I don't know if they count, but I would suggest Jesuschrist Superstar and The Blues Brothers.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:16 AM

This theme from Dragonheart ("To the Stars"), is probably better remembered than the movie itself, partially due to its use in many, many trailers.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:44 AM

Children of Men does this for me, for both the original score (by John Tavener — the modern composer, not his Renaissance doppelgänger), and for the songs (including unusual Beatles and Stones covers). I’m not sure it does for others, though.

Last edited by JKellyMap; 05-29-2019 at 04:44 AM.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Pump Up the Volume was a forgettable movie but a very good soundtrack.
While I can understand why the soundtrack was a success, and the movie may have dated to the usage of radio stations, I still love it, and regard it as one of the great cult classics of 80s, along with Real Genius and Heathers.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:45 AM

Judgement night, for a bit of rap/funk metal soundtrack from a pretty bad movie, with the Teenage Fanclub and De La Soul being a great highlight.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Are you fucking kidding me? 42 posts before somebody mentions Heavy Metal?
Yaaaasssss

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 05-29-2019 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:36 PM

Tank Girl. The movie is lousy but the sound track offers a good helping of mid nineties alt-rock.

Last edited by TimfromNapa; 05-29-2019 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:53 PM

Last Action Hero was released in 1993 and the soundtrack album was certified platinum in August of 1993.

Last edited by Kimballkid; 05-29-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballkid View Post
Last Action Hero was released in 1993 and the soundtrack album was certified platinum in August of 1993.
New tracks by AC\DC and Megadeth? *headbang emoticon*

we should really have a headbang emoticon.

and when did they go from being emoticons to "emojees" anyway?

but I digress.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:48 PM

I've never seen this film -- but then, not a lot of people outside Russia have, either. The music from it was supposedly incredibly popular, and is still requested on the radio today, although the movie came out in 1936.

It's the Russian adaptation of Jules Verne's novel The Children of Captain Grant*, and the music was written by Isaak Dunayevsky, and is now probably better known in Russia than the movie, from all accounts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ch...in_Grant_(film)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaak_Dunayevsky

* In the US there was a version of this released in 1962 by Disney under the title In Search of the Castaways. It starred Maurice Chevalier and Hayley Mills. It was the second and last Verne adaptation by Disney. It had music by the Sherman brothers (who did a lot of still-famous music for Disney, including Mary Poppins and the theme vfor the Disney TV show, but nobody remembers their music for this film. You'd think that there would be more Disney/Verne collaborations. The two seemed to be made for each other. But, despite this film being a hit, they decided not to do any others for some reason.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:11 AM

Westside Story. The flick was great, but I wore out the vinyl record soundtrack.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:00 AM

Quote:
This theme from Dragonheart ("To the Stars"), is probably better remembered than the movie itself, partially due to its use in many, many trailers.
Last of the Mohicans suffers from that as well. Although the film is still awesome.

Last edited by msmith537; 05-30-2019 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
Flash Gordon
Highlander! There can be only one!
Old 05-30-2019, 12:05 PM

Hatari!
Old 05-30-2019, 01:20 PM

I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) by The Proclaimers has lasted long after Benny & Joon.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) by The Proclaimers has lasted long after Benny & Joon.
Sunshine on Leith was released in 1988, five years before Benny & Joon. That was an example of a movie using an existing popular song. Not that that would make it wrong or off-topic for the thread or anything. Just sayin'.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 05-30-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:10 PM

Bing Crosby's White Christmas is actually from a film "Holiday Inn", which most people have probably never heard of, much less seen.

The soundtrack for the George Clooney film "O Brother Where are Thou?" is probably better known than the film, especially "I am a man of constant sorrow".
Old 05-30-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimaane View Post
The soundtrack for the George Clooney film "O Brother Where are Thou?" is probably better known than the film, especially "I am a man of constant sorrow".
At the time, I read that the soundtrack was the best-selling bluegrass/country album in... years? Maybe in history?

My kids, who only liked hard rock (Sabbath, AC/DC, "Zep'lin") loved O Brother Where Art Thou!
Old 05-30-2019, 05:51 PM

ACDC's album Who Made Who is the soundtrack for the Stephen King Film Maximum Overdrive. While it was a compilation, a few new tracks (including the Top 40 hit title song) were recorded, and older forgotten tracks were rediscovered/rescued from previous forgotten albums.