Old 05-30-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post
Now don't start that up. That argument has led to six rebellions, wherein one Emperor lost his life, and another his crown.
I'm just asking questions.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Beg pardon? Sunny-side up is easier to do than over-easy. Over-easy involves flipping the egg over, and then spatula-ing the egg up, with the spatula right up against the thinnest cooked part, both of which are likely to break the yolk prematurely.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Beg pardon? Sunny-side up is easier to do than over-easy. Over-easy involves flipping the egg over, and then spatula-ing the egg up, with the spatula right up against the thinnest cooked part, both of which are likely to break the yolk prematurely.
I guess he thinks getting the yolk just right for an individual preference is harder with sunny side up. It sort of is sometimes, but IME people who order sunny side up want a very runny yolk and that is quite easy as you say.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
I'm just asking questions.
I just want to mention that I've always thought that adopting Swift's terms "Big-Endian" and "Little-Endian" to refer to byte order in computers was absolutely brilliant.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I just want to mention that I've always thought that adopting Swift's terms "Big-Endian" and "Little-Endian" to refer to byte order in computers was absolutely brilliant.
Agreed. It adds poetry to a rather rigid subject.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Which end of the egg is the top? The small end or the big end?
Now now, you lot can't go all 'what's an egg cup??' on us, and then make jokes which specifically relate to how one eats a soft boiled egg in an egg cup.

BTW, the answer is the pointy end.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Except that a short order cook in a restaurant has performed this maneuver often enough to be able to do it reliably. Doing it sunny side up requires timing it right to sufficiently cook the white while not solidifying the yolk. The busy restaurant cook doing breakfast for a dozen customers tends to miss the timing. Actually, what I do at home is steam baste them - before covering the egg, I pour a little water in the pan. Helps make the white firm with the yolk still runny.
feeling after all one of the great
desiderata of social intercourse
archy
Old 05-30-2019, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Keep in mind that an egg cup is used with a soft-boiled egg, which would make a mess if peeled entirely.
My Polish family would just use a shot glass. We had wide ones where the egg balanced pretty well on it (bigger side of egg on the bottom. I suppose you can put it in either way, but smaller side on the bottom just seems completely weird to me.) It didn't nestle in all the way like it would in an egg cup, but that's what my parents (and their friends) used for soft-boiled eggs.

And, I do agree, soft boiled eggs are wonderful.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanVito View Post
Now now, you lot can't go all 'what's an egg cup??' on us, and then make jokes which specifically relate to how one eats a soft boiled egg in an egg cup.
Oh, good point! I just realized that I have never correctly visualized what the Lilliputians and Blefuscudians were doing with their eggs. I sort of saw them lying on a plate while being opened from one end or the other.

Last edited by markn+; 05-30-2019 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Agreed. It adds poetry to a rather rigid subject.
And emphasizes the pointlessness of the argument as to which is better.
Especially since everyone knows that, as far as byte order goes, little endian is better.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Especially since everyone knows that, as far as byte order goes, little endian is better.
Yes, it is so obvious. I understand people trying to defend the backward technology they are forced to work with, but the belief that big endian is better is a sign of mental illness.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:31 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Soft-Boiled eggs are An Abomination Unto Nuggan and are to be suppressed with Extreme Prejudice.

Thereby obviating the need for egg cups. Ta-Da!
Old 05-30-2019, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

I subscribe to this YouTube channel, a young British man and woman (just friends, not a couple). They came to New Jersey on business, and in their videos they openly mourned, oft to the point of choking back tears, how hard it was to enjoy a cup of tea due to the absence of a kettle.

I told them in the Comments that there are tea kettles at every Walmart, they cost about twenty bucks.

America is not devoid of tea kettles. We don't use them to the degree that Brits use them, mainly because we don't drink tea to the extend that the Brits do. But we have them. We also have tandoors, woks, and all other manner of "foreign" cooking utensils.

Last edited by HeyHomie; 05-30-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHomie View Post
I subscribe to this YouTube channel, a young British man and woman (just friends, not a couple). They came to New Jersey on business, and in their videos they openly mourned, oft to the point of choking back tears, how hard it was to enjoy a cup of tea due to the absence of a kettle.

I told them in the Comments that there are tea kettles at every Walmart, they cost about twenty bucks.

America is not devoid of tea kettles. We don't use them to the degree that Brits use them, mainly because we don't drink tea to the extend that the Brits do. But we have them. We also have tandoors, woks, and all other manner of "foreign" cooking utensils.
It's not even that "foreign" in my experience. I went to college in the 90s, and electric tea kettles were not an uncommon dorm room item.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:30 PM

Oh god not egg cups again i regret starting that thread sorry
Old 05-30-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Which end of the egg is the top? The small end or the big end?
the pointy end of course, what are we?.......French?
Old 05-30-2019, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, it is so obvious. I understand people trying to defend the backward technology they are forced to work with, but the belief that big endian is better is a sign of mental illness.
I agree with you 001%.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
the pointy end of course, what are we?.......French?
We Brits prefer to plunge our buttery soldiers into ever-widening eggy depths, whereas the French prefer a tightening?
Old 05-30-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Youíve just confessed to the crime of drinking instant coffee, which I think disqualifies you from the discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All I can say is, fair enough.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeWinder View Post
I agree with you 001%.
Post of the week!
Old 05-30-2019, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Having read all through the thread, I can see why many Americans don't see a need for a kettle. They're only heating a cup or mug of water at a time. If you want use a microwave to heat enough water for a tea pot, then you'd need to have a microwave safe jug and it would probably take 5 minutes to do it. Or what about making several cups of tea, each with a teabag you need to immerse in boiling water?
I use an electric kettle. 1.8 litres and it will boil inside 2 minutes. It does have a 2400 watt element too. With a standard American outlet (120v/15A), you could only get 1800 watts.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Fruit View Post
I use an electric kettle. 1.8 litres and it will boil inside 2 minutes. It does have a 2400 watt element too.
How does that work? Raising 1.8 l of water from 10 C to 100 C requires 1800 ml * 1 g/ml * 90 K * 4.2 J/g-K = 680400 J. Outputting that in 2 minutes requires 680400 J / 120 s = 5670 W. Even at 100% efficiency, you have less than half the power you need. Maybe you live on a very tall mountain...
Old 05-31-2019, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Fruit View Post
Having read all through the thread, I can see why many Americans don't see a need for a kettle. They're only heating a cup or mug of water at a time. If you want use a microwave to heat enough water for a tea pot, then you'd need to have a microwave safe jug and it would probably take 5 minutes to do it. Or what about making several cups of tea, each with a teabag you need to immerse in boiling water?
I use an electric kettle. 1.8 litres and it will boil inside 2 minutes. It does have a 2400 watt element too. With a standard American outlet (120v/15A), you could only get 1800 watts.
I guess what I don't understand is the focus on tea as being the only reason you might need a kettle. I don't even drink tea, and use the kettle several times a day - in particular when cooking, I'll always boil a kettle if I need a pan of water (eg for pasta, boiling the dreaded soft boiled egg, poaching, steaming and on and on). It's vastly quicker than waiting for a pan to boil.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:39 AM

microwave but I don't heat water often
Old 06-02-2019, 10:51 PM
BANNED

Naturally

I pee in it.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
That's probably part of it, but typical microwaves plug into the same 120v/15A outlets as a kettle would, and hence have the same peak wattage. The kettle is more efficient and will heat the water faster, so unless there are other downsides we'd presumably still switch. Especially since, if Brits are to be believed, there is something inherently wrong about using a microwave to heat water.

Personally, I will trade the minute or two extra it takes to heat water in the microwave versus having another piece of crap in my kitchen. The kettle also takes more direct involvement of my time. With the microwave, I punch in the time and do something else while waiting. The water is heated directly in the cup. Filling the kettle and then filling the cup is an extra step.

I'm tempted to sous vide my tea so I can lord over the Brits with my fine temperature control; a fraction of a degree C vs. some kettle lucky to get within 5. Barely fit for a chav, that.
The point isn't that the microwave and the kettle have the same peak wattage, but that the peak wattage in the US is lower - in the UK it's 240v. UK kettles are noticeably quicker than US kettles. They also switch off automatically, whereas quite a few American kettles don't, so there's no extra direct involvement. And there are lots of brands that take up less counter space than the ones I've seen in the US, which tend to be wide-based.

The microwave makes the cup hot too, making it more difficult to hold (and some cups and mugs aren't microwaveable), and it's not so useful for making multiple cups of tea, which lots of people do several times a day, or at least occasionally.

Chav is a pretty unpleasant word, BTW. It's used to paint all poor people as if they were badly behaved and violent, not really a word to throw around casually.

Quote:

You want them to go and buy a kettle on a business trip?

I take a mini kettle with me on holiday, and take my own teabags, but that's after years of being in hotel rooms where they didn't provide one. It saves a fair bit of money because we can have hot drinks for very little money in the hotel room while chilling out late evening, getting ready in the morning, etc. But I wouldn't go and buy a kettle while on a business trip knowing that it'd be useless once I got back to the UK.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

On the other hand, some would argue that heating the mug is a feature, not a bug. A ceramic mug can have a thermal mass comparable to the water it contains, meaning that when the boiling-hot water is poured into it, the room-temperature mug will cool it down considerably. Some tea afficionados even recommend pouring hot water into your mug, swishing it around a bit, and dumping it out before pouring in the tea, to mitigate this effect.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiSam View Post
You want them to go and buy a kettle on a business trip?
I don't see why not. If one is literally driven to tears for want of a tea kettle, I see no harm in buying one. These people aren't poor, $20 isn't going to break the bank. Donate it to Goodwill afterwards, ship it home to themselves to have in case they come back to the US and need it again, whatever.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:25 AM

About half a year back when my electric kettle broke, rather than just go and buy another one I tried for some months to make do with the microwave.

It definitely felt strange in the beginning. I'm used to a kettle that turns off by itself when boiling, now I have to judge how many minutes is required, and if you judge wrong you either get tepid water or the interior of your oven gets steamed up. And once or twice I had super heated water starting to boil over when I moved the container.

After some trial and error I found that two minutes was fine for my favourite tea mug, and four minutes for my small french press. I really needed a bigger micro wave safe container to heat water for when I wanted to accelerate cooking pasta or potatoes, but I didn't see any suitable ones that were any cheaper than a new kettle, which would be faster anyway.

At Christmas my sister gave me a new kettle, and that was that for heating water in the microwave oven.

Last edited by Didactylos; 06-04-2019 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:19 AM

Quote:
I don't see why not. If one is literally driven to tears for want of a tea kettle, I see no harm in buying one. These people aren't poor, $20 isn't going to break the bank. Donate it to Goodwill afterwards, ship it home to themselves to have in case they come back to the US and need it again, whatever.
It would be a bulky item to take back home and across the US again compared to the tiny travel kettle you can buy in the UK and take with you (which they should do next time)l. And yes, it's weird to expect someone to buy an item like that for a business trip. Business trips are usually only a few days and don't have tons of time for going to Walmart and Goodwill stores.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:22 AM

Quote:
On the other hand, some would argue that heating the mug is a feature, not a bug. A ceramic mug can have a thermal mass comparable to the water it contains, meaning that when the boiling-hot water is poured into it, the room-temperature mug will cool it down considerably. Some tea afficionados even recommend pouring hot water into your mug, swishing it around a bit, and dumping it out before pouring in the tea, to mitigate this effect.
My grandad used to do that with the hot water. But it's nowhere near as hot as it would be in the microwave, unless you're making tea with water that isn't actually boiling.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:08 AM

My sister insists that water heated in a kettle stay hot longer than water heated in the microwave. Where she got this notion I don't know; she's not otherwise delusional.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff View Post
Iím not that anal.
Also, Iíve never seen a kettle with a thermostat. The one we use just clicks off when the water boils.
The ones in Japan are lovely -- you set a temperature, and it brings to water to exactly that temp and holds it there.

Quote:
I guess what I don't understand is the focus on tea as being the only reason you might need a kettle. I don't even drink tea, and use the kettle several times a day - in particular when cooking, I'll always boil a kettle if I need a pan of water (eg for pasta, boiling the dreaded soft boiled egg, poaching, steaming and on and on). It's vastly quicker than waiting for a pan to boil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPRK View Post
More like 30-45 seconds.
I'm now sold on the idea that it's because our outlets are 110, not 240. I had an electric kettle in college -- it was basically the only cooking utensil I could smuggle int the dorm. It was glacially slow, despite only holding about a pint of water. It's way faster for me to heat water in the microwave, and about the same on the stove.

So no, I don't dedicate counter space to a kettle. I have a stovetop kettle. It's cast iron, and holds the temp really well. So I heat the water in it, then put the tea (in a little mesh cup) into it to let it steep. And when the tea is steeped, I remove the mesh cup. The kettle holds my tea warm for a long time. And I enjoy the ritual.

(I don't dunk tea bags -- because they tend to float, and it takes so long to wet them that way. The water really does cool off as you do it. And don't get me started about the cup of lukewarm water you might be served at a restaurant. Ugg, you can't get a proper cup of tea out of that unless you want to wait around a couple of hours.)

Anyway, I mostly use a pot on the stove to heat water -- for boiled eggs, for pasta, for ... I mostly the the microwave for cooking vegetables, including frozen vegetables. But it's also good for reheating non-meat leftovers (meat gets rubbery) and for making cocoa -- it's AWESOME to make a single cup of cocoa without dirtying another dish.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
The ones in Japan are lovely -- you set a temperature, and it brings to water to exactly that temp and holds it there.

I'm now sold on the idea that it's because our outlets are 110, not 240. I had an electric kettle in college -- it was basically the only cooking utensil I could smuggle int the dorm. It was glacially slow, despite only holding about a pint of water. It's way faster for me to heat water in the microwave, and about the same on the stove.

aSSa asaSo no, I don't dedicate counter space to a kettle. I have a stovetop kettle. It's cast iron, and holds the temp really well. So I heat the water in it, then put the tea (in a little mesh cup) into it to let it steep. And when the tea is steeped, I remove the mesh cup. The kettle holds my tea warm for a long time. And I enjoy the ritual.

(I don't dunk tea bags -- because they tend to float, and it takes so long to wet them that way. The water really does cool off as you do it. And don't get me started about the cup of lukewarm water you might be served at a restaurant. Ugg, you can't get a proper cup of tea out of that unless you want to wait around a couple of hours.)

Anyway, I mostly use a pot on the stove to heat water -- for boiled eggs, for pasta, for ... I mostly the the microwave for cooking vegetables, including frozen vegetables. But it's also good for reheating non-meat leftovers (meat gets rubbery) and for making cocoa -- it's AWESOME to make a single cup of cocoa without dirtying another dish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2019, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Rich View Post
My sister insists that water heated in a kettle stay hot longer than water heated in the microwave. Where she got this notion I don't know; she's not otherwise delusional.
You mean after it's poured? In the kettle itself, it probably does -- the kettle's likely a bigger thermal mass than a mug or whatever. But as soon as that water's poured into a cold mug, it's going to be colder than water that was heated with it's mug in the microwave.