Old 05-29-2019, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Godzilla 2 - King of the Monsters - seen it.

I've just seen Godzilla 2 - King of the Monsters. Open spoilers ahoy after this post.

TLDR: a serviceable movie but not actually a good one.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Okay, the early twist was a good one. Charles Dance was a magnificent villain, out-acting everyone. The Atlantis / Bermuda Triangle linkup was also fun.

But I was unsatisfied. Okay, we have plenty of monster action, but I was reminded of Justice League - after the first part, everyone was just trying to get Superman back in action to fight the villain. There was also too much exposition, though Dance saved one part by somewhat breaking the fourth wall.

The heroic self-sacrifice scene was cliched and more than a bit cringeworthy. Ditto the redemption self-sacrifice.

A by-the-numbers popcorn flick.

I did like the credits.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:51 PM

I just put it on my Netflix DVD queue, so I'll see it in a year or two. Is it one of the "better" Godzilla movies like the original(with or without Raymond Burr), the Mathew Broderick movie, and the recent Shin Godzilla? Or is it more like the execrable '70s to early '90s movies?
Old 05-29-2019, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

I think it might lose something on the small screen. The film relies a lot on spectacle and awe and there's a big difference between seeing something on a 40" TV and seeing the same thing on a 40 foot cinema screen. I've not actually seen Shin Godzilla so I can't compare that but I don't rate it as highly as Kong: Skull Island. It's got even more spectacle than the 2014 Godzilla but the connecting bits weren't as good.

There was a localisation fail: they showed sites of titans all around the world. In particular for UK viewers, Loch Ness was shown. So why not include Nessie in the UK release? This also shows up at the end where perhaps half a dozen titans submit to Godzilla when many more titans were released. (I'm guessing money is the answer.)

There was a possible science fail (yes, I know...): I'm not sure that a nuclear explosion underwater behaves like that, even if it does start in an air-filled cave. Those who know more about these things can enlighten us.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
I did like the credits.
Don't they kinda prove the bad guys were right though?
Old 05-30-2019, 11:39 PM

For a movie about giant monsters fighting, I wanted more giant monsters fighting! Waaaaaay too much time spent on stupid human family drama. I came to see the monsters dammit!

The sound was amazing in Dolby! I loved the theme when Godzilla charged up his fire breath.

I was more involved emotionally with Mothra than any of the humans.

Last edited by Eyebrows 0f Doom; 05-30-2019 at 11:43 PM.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
Don't they kinda prove the bad guys were right though?
Only if you exclude the extinction of humanity.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
For a movie about giant monsters fighting, I wanted more giant monsters fighting! Waaaaaay too much time spent on stupid human family drama. I came to see the monsters dammit!

The sound was amazing in Dolby! I loved the theme when Godzilla charged up his fire breath.

I was more involved emotionally with Mothra than any of the humans.
That's my problem with every Godzilla movie, ever. All are 10-15 minutes of monster fun, 90 minutes of human drama about people you don't care about.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Doork View Post
That's my problem with every Godzilla movie, ever. All are 10-15 minutes of monster fun, 90 minutes of human drama about people you don't care about.
This one was well more than 10 minutes of monster rumbles (enough that some reviews bitched about the 'excess' number of monster fights) but the human parts were so awful. If we had seen it at home, I could have snarked all through the thing.

I enjoyed it enough that I wasn't bitter about seeing it although I couldn't recommend it aside from (as Quartz points out), seeing Rodan climb out of a volcano lair on an IMAX screen is more impressive than seeing him climb out on a 48" living room television.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
I've just seen Godzilla 2 - King of the Monsters. Open spoilers ahoy after this post.

TLDR: a serviceable movie but not actually a good one.
Agreed.

Quote:
...There was a possible science fail (yes, I know...): I'm not sure that a nuclear explosion underwater behaves like that, even if it does start in an air-filled cave. Those who know more about these things can enlighten us.
Also how the hell is Monarch keeping their [del]helicarrier[.del] generic flying aircraft carrier aloft? Yes, that really did bug me how that pretty much everything about the Titans.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:41 PM

To me, it seemed like something Toho would have done in the early 70s if someone had given them American actors, modern SFX and an unlimited budget. Which I liked.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
For a movie about giant monsters fighting, I wanted more giant monsters fighting!

I haven't seen this one, but it can't be worse than "Godzilla freezes in place long enough for people to build train tracks to him."
Old 06-02-2019, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

I was expecting the full range of kaiju, including all of our old favorites - the script said there were 17, IIRC. But there was no Gamera, and who the hell were the mastodon and the spider ones?
Old 06-02-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
I was expecting the full range of kaiju, including all of our old favorites - the script said there were 17, IIRC. But there was no Gamera, and who the hell were the mastodon and the spider ones?
Thanks for that, I didn't know his name but I knew there was a giant turtle monster that wasn't around. And yeah, four main kaijus with a few cameos was less than I expected.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
I was expecting the full range of kaiju, including all of our old favorites - the script said there were 17, IIRC. But there was no Gamera....
Gamera is a creation of Daiei Studios. Godzilla, et al. come from Toho Studios. You might as well be expecting to see Superman in the next Avengers movie.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
I'm guessing one of the spiders was Kamacuras and the other one Kumonga, aka Spiga. [Pre-post edit: Apparently one of them it a "MUTO" from the previous Godzilla movie I never watched]

The mammoth-dude appears to have been made up for the movie.

I was mildly annoyed at the lack of Anguirus (or half-second Anguirus cameo if that was the case). Here's a list of Toho kaiju critters so you can be annoyed by your missing favorites, too!

Last edited by Jophiel; 06-02-2019 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:47 PM

I disliked the previous one because it seemed to go out of it's way to not show Monsters fighting. This one was better in that regard but it was still lacking something.

When I was kid I LOVED Monster movies but hated what I called "the people scenes'. That is apparently still true.

Also not sure I like the decision to make the Big Guy an out right Hero. I would rather it be he is just the less worse option in the movie.

BTW if you already saw it and didn't stay, the tag revealed that Gidorah lives and Tywin Lannister has his head.
Old 06-02-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
The heroic self-sacrifice scene was cliched and more than a bit cringeworthy. Ditto the redemption self-sacrifice.
Someone we went with felt that two self-sacrifices was a bit much.

Speaking of "a bit much", by the third time we had a "Gidorah is going to kill this person... wait for it... wait for it... BAM! Cold-cocked by something stage left!" scene, they might have gone to the well a bit too often.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Someone we went with felt that two self-sacrifices was a bit much.

Speaking of "a bit much", by the third time we had a "Gidorah is going to kill this person... wait for it... wait for it... BAM! Cold-cocked by something stage left!" scene, they might have gone to the well a bit too often.
I agree with both of these. I especially couldn't care less for Vera Farmiga's sacrifice. You made this whole movie happen for your stupid, nonsensical reasons...you deserved to die and I don't feel sorry for you. Also thought there were too many run-ins with Godzilla saving the day, but I also cheered each time...so I guess I'm a hypocrite.

I really loved the movie. I even thought the human drama wasn't so bad. I think they could have cut out about a third of it and shortened some of the scenes, but the story compelled me. The monster fighting was great and very classic Godzilla.

Actually, "classic Godzilla" pretty much sums up the whole movie and also probably explains why it's not a box office smash. Godzilla movies never ran in theaters here (Shin Godzilla nonwithstanding), especailly in the 70s and 80s (Did 1985 run in theaters?) because I just don't think American audiences are really that in tune with that kind of film.

The human bits and ideas (humans are the plagues!) is classic Godzilla, shorter monster fights where Zilla is owned at the beginning and gets help at the end is classic Godzilla too. Godzilla fans I know LOVED the movie and non-fans think it's kinda dumb which is classic Godzilla too.

Speaking of classic Godzilla, the music in thie movie was fantastic. Loved hearing the classic 'Zilla theme and even Mothra's Twins' music. I wish they'd keep the monster roars authentic though. They do a good job with Godzilla, and we heard Mothra's for a hot second, but I want Rodan and Gidorah's to be authentic too!

It's too bad the critics shit on the movie as much as they did, I think that hurt the box office totals a lot and will hurt the next movie. Oh well I guess....was a good movie to me.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, it's almost like the critics were looking for plot, characters, and acting, as if those were important in this genre.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:37 PM

One last thing to complain about...

The bowing monsters at the end was super stupid. He's the King of the Monsters, but he's not literally the King of the monsters.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Sure he was, at least per this script - the moment he killed Ghidorah, the former king, "Monster Zero", he became the Top Titan.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:13 PM

I did notice something in the movie that confused me for a second only to realize I didn’t care a second later because it was about the humans. I just read an article on google about it. Ziyi Zhang’s character was there when Mothra came out of her cocoon(or so I thought)and I thought it was a continuity error as she was aboard Monarchs super plane a scene or two earlier. She played twins which was a good homage to older movies with Mothra. The movie was true to the original monster lore though I’m not a fan of the other titans being something new. There was a MUTO bowing before Godzilla. Why didn’t the first two bow?
Old 06-04-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
I did notice something in the movie that confused me for a second only to realize I didnít care a second later because it was about the humans. I just read an article on google about it. Ziyi Zhangís character was there when Mothra came out of her cocoon(or so I thought)and I thought it was a continuity error as she was aboard Monarchs super plane a scene or two earlier. She played twins which was a good homage to older movies with Mothra. The movie was true to the original monster lore though Iím not a fan of the other titans being something new. There was a MUTO bowing before Godzilla. Why didnít the first two bow?
The first two as in from the last movie? Because he wasn't a king yet. He only became king/alpha once he killed Ghidorah.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

They didn't even make it clear those were twins, not the same woman who kept popping up without the other one. C'mon, guys, it's easy to green-screen that stuff and show them both together, huh?

There was footage after the credits, btw - but it only amounted to "The End - or is it?"

Last edited by ElvisL1ves; 06-04-2019 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
The first two as in from the last movie? Because he wasn't a king yet. He only became king/alpha once he killed Ghidorah.
I was under the understanding that their frequencies determined their status, with Godzilla(and humanity) being the alpha(s) of Earth and Ghidorah being the invasive alpha. So technically Godzilla would have still been alpha in the first movie, they even described him as the apex predator.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:22 AM

Then the obvious answer is because they hadn't thought of the sequel yet
Old 06-04-2019, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Oh, they thought of it. Godzilla vs. Kong is already in production for a 2020 release.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Oh, they thought of it. Godzilla vs. Kong is already in production for a 2020 release.
And there could be many more - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MonsterVerse
Old 06-04-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
How is that even a fight? Godzilla is about 3x Kong's size and much more massive (plus the radioactive fire breath, etc). I realize it was done before where I think they just kind of made Kong the same size but I'd think the new shared universe would go for more consistency than we got in 1962.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:39 PM

I guess answering my above question, Kong is supposedly not fully grown and will presumably triple in size between 1970 and 2020. Better be sure he eats his squid, I guess.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

It'll be the 2020 Kong, not the 1933 Kong.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Very true, but you can also plan out a movie franchise without actually planning on what's going to occur in the movies themselves. I know for a fact they planned the trilogy out from the beginning, but I doubt they planned the ending of this movie when they were making the first.

Quote:
How is that even a fight? Godzilla is about 3x Kong's size and much more massive (plus the radioactive fire breath, etc). I realize it was done before where I think they just kind of made Kong the same size but I'd think the new shared universe would go for more consistency than we got in 1962.
Quote:
I guess answering my above question, Kong is supposedly not fully grown and will presumably triple in size between 1970 and 2020. Better be sure he eats his squid, I guess.
These are also both very true. They made a point in Skull Island to say that Kong was a juvie so he'll presumably be super huge come 2020. Maybe he'll shoot lightning from his fingers too!
Old 06-04-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
It'll be the 2020 Kong, not the 1933 Kong.
Skull Island Kong (i.e. the one from the new shared cinematic universe) was approximately 100' tall per numerous websites run by people far more interested in King Kong than I'll ever be.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
One last thing to complain about...

The bowing monsters at the end was super stupid. He's the King of the Monsters, but he's not literally the King of the monsters.
IRL different species of animal will engage in similar submission displays.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2019, 05:42 PM

Took the kids to see it at the weekend and thought it was notably bad - bit surprised to see such ineptitude on the screen tbh as I thought these expensive franchise type efforts were slick operations nowadays - ie a shit-boring set of characters / script / story would usually be identified at an early stage and something done about it.

Some of the cgi was impressive but it seemed pointless for the battle scenes - lacking in grandeur and just small-feeling IMHO. The orginal films of model skyscrapers getting stomped by a plastic dinosaur probably worked better. Ultra radioactive Godzilla did look pretty badass, I have to say.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

OK, I wasn't expecting to see it (and was reading this thread anyway, because what's there to spoil in a movie like this?), but a friend who's a big fan of the originals wanted to go, so I just got back.

Aside from the kid (who was great) and maybe the old Japanese guy (who was OK), the human actors were all pretty bad. But who goes to see a movie like this for the humans? The monsters were great.

Except Rodan, who was just a brown-nosing toady.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:38 AM

i would have liked for at least one battle scene to have been in clear light- they mentioned the beauty of Mothra, but you couldnt see it through the rain and smoke- is there a CGI or other reason the fight scenes are always dimly lit?. Acting ok but script generic (Mark is not leading man material) and the family conflict & resolution generic and unmoving. And why would a great, in-demand actress like Sally Hawkins appear in this at all, let alone to die in the first half?

Last edited by Helmut Doork; 06-08-2019 at 12:39 AM.