Old 06-04-2019, 01:03 AM

Gavin Bryar's track 'Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet' has a CD version of about 74 minutes. From memory, the composer's idea was that the track would go as long as the modern recorded format would allow, so in 1975, it was a 25 minute LP side, then a full 74 minute CD. Since music now is digital, and effectively of unlimited length, I wonder how far it might be pushed.

(The spirit of the composition is that even though it is based on a tape loop, the accompaniment is played in real time, so it's not just a matter of cutting and pasting an endless version).
Old 06-04-2019, 07:25 AM

Just out of curiosity, what is the longest possible track on a vinyl LP? I always thought Dylan's Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands would be up there because it took up an entire side, but others were longer.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Just out of curiosity, what is the longest possible track on a vinyl LP? I always thought Dylan's Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands would be up there because it took up an entire side, but others were longer.
If you define LP to mean a 33 1/3 RPM 12" record, then normally these hold up to 45 minutes of music (divided over two sides), though some formats went up to 52 minutes. By using narrower grooves, you could go even higher, though this made the records quieter and more fragile. Wikipedia's "LP" article gives one example of an LP with 90 minutes of playing time (90 Minutes with Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops). So with the same configuration, you could theoretically get a single track of music lasting 45 minutes.

If you use a lower rotation speed, you can pack even more audio onto a disc. Wikipedia's article on unusual record formats lists one published record with a turn speed as low as 3 RPM (though alas, without the playing time) and another unused format that plays at 4 1/6 RPM (with one pressed example fitting 10 hours per side, and a theoretical maximum of 12 hours).

Last edited by psychonaut; 06-04-2019 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:37 AM

The longest actual song in my music library is "The Giddy Limit Bonus Mix" by Professor Elemental, at 42:54.