Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-01-2019, 10:59 AM
SCAdian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,651

Botticelli - June 2019


I am N!


Previous month's thread here.
  #2  
Old 06-01-2019, 11:16 AM
Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 83,449
IQs:

Did JFK wish you a happy birthday just hours before he died?
Were you a top general of George Washington's?
Were you the hero of The Last of the Mohicans?
  #3  
Old 06-01-2019, 11:32 AM
SCAdian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
IQs:

Did JFK wish you a happy birthday just hours before he died?
Were you a top general of George Washington's?
Were you the hero of The Last of the Mohicans?
DQ.
Not Nathaniel Greene.
Not Natty Bumppo.
  #4  
Old 06-01-2019, 05:58 PM
Prof. Pepperwinkle's Avatar
Prof. Pepperwinkle is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chateau Pepperwinkle
Posts: 56,280
Good one, SCA!

IQs:

1. Were you the front man for Herman & the Hermits?
2. Did you write the poem Custard the Dragon?
3. Were you an inspector's daughter who was in love with a horse?
  #5  
Old 06-01-2019, 07:28 PM
Knowed Out's Avatar
Knowed Out is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Kakkalakee
Posts: 14,304
IQ1: When you first met Buffalo Bill, did he point a gun at you and order you out of town?
IQ2: Did you tell your wife you were divorcing her while she was in the hospital recovering from cancer surgery?
IQ3: Did you and Henry Kissinger make the cover of Time together?
  #6  
Old 06-01-2019, 08:18 PM
SCAdian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Pepperwinkle View Post
IQs:

1. Were you the front man for Herman & the Hermits?
2. Did you write the poem Custard the Dragon?
3. Were you an inspector's daughter who was in love with a horse?
Not Peter Noone.
DQ.
DQ.
  #7  
Old 06-01-2019, 08:21 PM
SCAdian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
IQ1: When you first met Buffalo Bill, did he point a gun at you and order you out of town?
IQ2: Did you tell your wife you were divorcing her while she was in the hospital recovering from cancer surgery?
IQ3: Did you and Henry Kissinger make the cover of Time together?
Not ... Ned Buntline?
DQ.
Not ... Richard Nixon?
  #8  
Old 06-01-2019, 10:09 PM
Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 83,449
Previous IQs:

Did JFK wish you a happy birthday just hours before he died? - FDR's first VP, John Nance Garner
Were you a top general of George Washington's? - Yes, Nathaniel Greene
Were you the hero of The Last of the Mohicans? - Yes, Natty Bumppo

DQ:

Real?

IQs:

Were you the hero of the latest movie version of The Last of the Mohicans?
Were you Ralph Kramden's best pal?
Is your brother a psychologist and your father an ex-cop?
  #9  
Old 06-02-2019, 07:10 AM
SCAdian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
IQs:

Were you the hero of the latest movie version of The Last of the Mohicans?
Were you Ralph Kramden's best pal?
Is your brother a psychologist and your father an ex-cop?
DQ. (They changed his name? )
Not Ed Norton.
DQ.


N

1. Real
  #10  
Old 06-02-2019, 06:01 PM
Slow Moving Vehicle's Avatar
Slow Moving Vehicle is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 3,766
Congratulations, SCAdian!

Just for the sake of completeness, my the answers to my last set of IQs are:


Q1: Were you a 16th c. philosopher, known for his essays? Michel de Montaigne.

IQ2: Were you a famous composer and pianist, whose catalog includes the immortal canto “Leck mich im Arsch” ("Lick Me In The Ass")?. - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, composer, pianist, child prodigy, and a man who dearly loved a fart joke.

IQ3: Are you a French-Canadian hockey player who made history when you donned goalie pads for the Atlanta Knights, a farm team for the NHL’s Tampa Bay Lightning, becoming the first woman to play professional hockey for a men’s league? - Manon Rheaume. I saw her play.

Now, on to N!


IQ1: Were your actual last words "A soldier must do his duty?"

IQ2: Are you an English ex-pat author, two of whose novels have been adapted into currently running series?

IQ3: Were you a Minneapolis-born singer with a royal name, known for your flamboyant costumes, musical brilliance, and overt sexuality?
  #11  
Old 06-02-2019, 07:12 PM
Prof. Pepperwinkle's Avatar
Prof. Pepperwinkle is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chateau Pepperwinkle
Posts: 56,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAdian View Post
Not Peter Noone.
DQ.
DQ.
Correct on 1.
Ogden Nash was 2.
Nelly Fenwick loved Dudley Do-right's horse, Horse.

DQs:

1. Male?
2. Last name starts with N?
  #12  
Old 06-02-2019, 08:41 PM
Knowed Out's Avatar
Knowed Out is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Kakkalakee
Posts: 14,304
Quote:
IQ1: When you first met Buffalo Bill, did he point a gun at you and order you out of town?
IQ2: Did you tell your wife you were divorcing her while she was in the hospital recovering from cancer surgery?
IQ3: Did you and Henry Kissinger make the cover of Time together?

Not ... Ned Buntline?
DQ.
Not ... Richard Nixon?
correct, Newt Gengrich, correct

DQ: Alive?
  #13  
Old 06-02-2019, 08:45 PM
Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 83,449
Previous IQs:

Were you the hero of the latest movie version of The Last of the Mohicans? - Yes, they changed it for the movie, to Nathaniel Poe
Were you Ralph Kramden's best pal? -Yes, Ed Norton
Is your brother a psychologist and your father an ex-cop? -Dr. Niles Crane, on Frasier

DQs:

Born since 1950?
American?

IQs:

Were you an officious bureaucrat on Deep Space Station K-7?
Were you an armless witch in Wicked?
Were you a longtime member of Spinal Tap?
  #14  
Old 06-02-2019, 08:48 PM
Knowed Out's Avatar
Knowed Out is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Kakkalakee
Posts: 14,304
IQ1: Are you QB for the Philadelphia Eagles?
IQ2: Are you head coach of da Bears? (Chicago)
IQ3: Did you write Bug Jack Barron?
  #15  
Old 06-03-2019, 07:28 AM
SCAdian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,651
Strange -- I answered SMV's IQs and the Prof's DQs yesterday, but the post isn't there now....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
IQ1: Were your actual last words "A soldier must do his duty?"

IQ2: Are you an English ex-pat author, two of whose novels have been adapted into currently running series?

IQ3: Were you a Minneapolis-born singer with a royal name, known for your flamboyant costumes, musical brilliance, and overt sexuality?
Not ... Nathan Hale?
DQ.
DQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
IQs:

Were you an officious bureaucrat on Deep Space Station K-7?
Were you an armless witch in Wicked?
Were you a longtime member of Spinal Tap?
Three DQs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
IQ1: Are you QB for the Philadelphia Eagles?
IQ2: Are you head coach of da Bears? (Chicago)
IQ3: Did you write Bug Jack Barron?
Three DQs.


N

1. Real
2. Male
3. Last name does not start with N (though really it does)
4. Dead
5. Not born after 1950
6. Not American


When I see one of EH's "Born since 19xx?" questions my first thought is "I haven't been born since 19xx, but I was born several times before that year."
  #16  
Old 06-03-2019, 07:44 AM
Prof. Pepperwinkle's Avatar
Prof. Pepperwinkle is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chateau Pepperwinkle
Posts: 56,280
IQs:

1) Do you habitually say "Pfui" when unhappy and "Satisfactory" when pleased?
2) Did you play Lois Lane on The Adventures of Superman?
3) Did you write the poem The Highwayman?
  #17  
Old 06-03-2019, 09:47 AM
Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 83,449
Previous IQs:

Were you an officious bureaucrat on Deep Space Station K-7? - Nilz Baris, on ST:TOS "The Trouble with Tribbles"
Were you an armless witch in Wicked? - Nessarose
Were you a longtime member of Spinal Tap? - Nigel Tufnel

DQs:

European?
Born after 1850?
Political/military?

IQs:

Were you a noted Pan-African leader of the Sixties?
Did you seize the Suez Canal and trigger a confrontation with the UK, France and Israel?
Were you a self-proclaimed monarch who lived in San Francisco?
  #18  
Old 06-03-2019, 10:01 AM
Knowed Out's Avatar
Knowed Out is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Kakkalakee
Posts: 14,304
Quote:
IQ1: Are you QB for the Philadelphia Eagles?
IQ2: Are you head coach of da Bears? (Chicago)
IQ3: Did you write Bug Jack Barron?

Three DQs.
Nick Foles, Chuck Nagy, Norman Spinrad

holding 3 DQs
  #19  
Old 06-03-2019, 10:09 AM
Slow Moving Vehicle's Avatar
Slow Moving Vehicle is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 3,766
Previous IQs:

IQ1: Were your actual last words "A soldier must do his duty?" - Correct, Nathan Hale.

IQ2: Are you an English ex-pat author, two of whose novels have been adapted into currently running series? - Neil Gaiman; Starz is showing "American Gods", and Amazon Prime just released "Good Omens", both based on Gaiman novels. My sig is a quote from Good Omens, which is why I deliberately left it off my last post.

IQ3: Were you a Minneapolis-born singer with a royal name, known for your flamboyant costumes, musical brilliance, and overt sexuality? - P. Rogers Nelson. Or, as most people knew him, Prince.


New IQs:

IQ1: Did you write a young adult novel whose characters include Milo, Tock, the Humbug and Faintly Macabre, the Not-So-Wicked-Which?

IQ2: Were you an entomologist whose work with butterflies was sufficiently important to have an entire genus named after you, while at the same time pursuing a career as a novelist, one of whose works – a story of a young girl named Delores – was ranked as #4 on the Modern Library’s list of 100 greatest American novels?

IQ3: Did you once capture two enemy ships by boarding one, seizing it, then crossing its deck to board the vessel on the other side?

DQ1: European?

DQ2: Known for the arts?
__________________
“It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.”
― Neil Gaiman, Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

Last edited by Slow Moving Vehicle; 06-03-2019 at 10:10 AM.
  #20  
Old 06-03-2019, 02:27 PM
SCAdian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Pepperwinkle View Post
IQs:

1) Do you habitually say "Pfui" when unhappy and "Satisfactory" when pleased?
2) Did you play Lois Lane on The Adventures of Superman?
3) Did you write the poem The Highwayman?
Not Nero Wolfe.
DQ.
DQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
IQs:

Were you a noted Pan-African leader of the Sixties?
Did you seize the Suez Canal and trigger a confrontation with the UK, France and Israel?
Were you a self-proclaimed monarch who lived in San Francisco?
Not Nkrumah.
Not Nasser.
Not the Emperor Norton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
New IQs:

IQ1: Did you write a young adult novel whose characters include Milo, Tock, the Humbug and Faintly Macabre, the Not-So-Wicked-Which?

IQ2: Were you an entomologist whose work with butterflies was sufficiently important to have an entire genus named after you, while at the same time pursuing a career as a novelist, one of whose works – a story of a young girl named Delores – was ranked as #4 on the Modern Library’s list of 100 greatest American novels?

IQ3: Did you once capture two enemy ships by boarding one, seizing it, then crossing its deck to board the vessel on the other side?
Not Norton Thephantomtollboothguy.
Not ... Vladimir Nabokov?
DQ.


N

1. Real
2. Male
3. Last name does not start with N (though really it does)
4. Dead
5. Not born after 1950
6. Not American
7. Originally European
8. Born after 1850
9. Not political/military (but was a naval officer)
10. Known for the arts



Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
Or, as most people knew him, Prince.
Ah, yes -- The artist formerly known as The Artist Formerly Known as Prince....
  #21  
Old 06-03-2019, 02:30 PM
SCAdian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
DQ1: European?
You think I'm going to give you a different answer from what I told EH?
Try again....
  #22  
Old 06-03-2019, 03:03 PM
Prof. Pepperwinkle's Avatar
Prof. Pepperwinkle is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chateau Pepperwinkle
Posts: 56,280
Quote:
IQs:

1) Do you habitually say "Pfui" when unhappy and "Satisfactory" when pleased?
2) Did you play Lois Lane on The Adventures of Superman?
3) Did you write the poem The Highwayman?
Not Nero Wolfe.
DQ.
DQ.
#1. Correct.
#2 was Noel Neill.
#3 was Alfred Noyes.

DQs:

1) Born after 1900?
2) Known for the performing arts?
  #23  
Old 06-03-2019, 03:06 PM
Prof. Pepperwinkle's Avatar
Prof. Pepperwinkle is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chateau Pepperwinkle
Posts: 56,280
IQs:

1) Did Pres. Trump use you as a nickname for Peter Buttigieg?
2) Were you an animated centaur who was a friend to The Mighty Hercules?
3) Were you Akhenaten's queen?
  #24  
Old 06-03-2019, 03:15 PM
Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 83,449
Swept me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAdian View Post
...3. Last name does not start with N (though really it does)....
Please clarify this answer. Am I missing a joke?

IQs:

Did you write "Mad Dogs and Englishmen"?
A mighty king, did Bugs Bunny use your name to mean a doofus?
Are you executive director of the Planetary Society?
  #25  
Old 06-03-2019, 09:43 PM
SCAdian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Pepperwinkle View Post
IQs:

1) Did Pres. Trump use you as a nickname for Peter Buttigieg?
2) Were you an animated centaur who was a friend to The Mighty Hercules?
3) Were you Akhenaten's queen?
DQ.
DQ.
Not Nefertiti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
IQs:

Did you write "Mad Dogs and Englishmen"?
A mighty king, did Bugs Bunny use your name to mean a doofus?
Are you executive director of the Planetary Society?
DQ.
Not Nimrod.
Not ... Bill Nye the Science Guy?



N

1. Real
2. Male
3. Last name does not start with N (though really it does)
4. Dead
5. Not born after 1950
6. Not American
7. Originally European
8. Born after 1850
9. Not political/military (but was a naval officer)
10. Known for the arts
11. Not born after 1900
12. Not known for the performing arts



Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Please clarify this answer. Am I missing a joke?
Enlightenment will come in due time. Until then y'all can amuse yourselves by trying to figure it out.
  #26  
Old 06-04-2019, 07:35 AM
Knowed Out's Avatar
Knowed Out is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Kakkalakee
Posts: 14,304
DQ: Mostly known for a single incident?

holding 2 DQs
  #27  
Old 06-04-2019, 07:37 AM
Knowed Out's Avatar
Knowed Out is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Kakkalakee
Posts: 14,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAdian View Post
3. Last name does not start with N (though really it does)

Enlightenment will come in due time. Until then y'all can amuse yourselves by trying to figure it out.
Maybe the mystery guest's last name begins with Z, but if you turn him 90 degrees it becomes N?
  #28  
Old 06-04-2019, 08:21 AM
Prof. Pepperwinkle's Avatar
Prof. Pepperwinkle is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chateau Pepperwinkle
Posts: 56,280
Quote:
IQs:

1) Did Pres. Trump use you as a nickname for Peter Buttigieg?
2) Were you an animated centaur who was a friend to The Mighty Hercules?
3) Were you Akhenaten's queen?
DQ.
DQ.
Not Nefertiti.
#1 was Alfred E. Newman (from Mad magazine)
#2 was Newton
#3 is correct.

Regarding DQ#3: I'm guessing the guy's pseudonym has an N for the first name, but his actual name has N for the last. But that's just a guess.

DQ: Known for the visual arts?

1 DQ reserved.
  #29  
Old 06-04-2019, 09:47 AM
Slow Moving Vehicle's Avatar
Slow Moving Vehicle is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 3,766
Previous IQs:

IQ1: Did you write a young adult novel whose characters include Milo, Tock, the Humbug and Faintly Macabre, the Not-So-Wicked-Which? - Correct, Norton Juster.

IQ2: Were you an entomologist whose work with butterflies was sufficiently important to have an entire genus named after you, while at the same time pursuing a career as a novelist, one of whose works – a story of a young girl named Delores – was ranked as #4 on the Modern Library’s list of 100 greatest American novels? - Also correct, Vladimir Nabokov, who's contributions to entomology are apparently considered as significant as his contributions to American literature.

IQ3: Did you once capture two enemy ships by boarding one, seizing it, then crossing its deck to board the vessel on the other side? - Horatio Nelson.


New IQs:

IQ1: Are you the American-born Queen of a Middle Eastern state?

IQ2: Did you waste away, contemplating the beauty of your beloved, and eventually turn into a flower?

IQ3: Did you invent logarithms?


Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAdian View Post
You think I'm going to give you a different answer from what I told EH?
Try again....


One DQ reserved.
__________________
“It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.”
― Neil Gaiman, Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

Last edited by Slow Moving Vehicle; 06-04-2019 at 09:48 AM.
  #30  
Old 06-04-2019, 11:00 AM
Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 83,449
All righty then.

Previous IQs:

Did you write "Mad Dogs and Englishmen"? - Noel Coward
A mighty king, did Bugs Bunny use your name to mean a doofus? - Yes, Nimrod
Are you executive director of the Planetary Society? - Yes, Bill Nye the Science Guy: http://www.planetary.org/blogs/bill-nye/

One DQ reserved.

IQs:

Were you a cabdriver on Taxi?
Did you and your commanding officer have a fling that started at a Christmas party?
Did a critic say that you "looked at foreign policy through the wrong end of a municipal drain pipe"?
  #31  
Old 06-04-2019, 01:35 PM
SCAdian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
New IQs:

IQ1: Are you the American-born Queen of a Middle Eastern state?

IQ2: Did you waste away, contemplating the beauty of your beloved, and eventually turn into a flower?

IQ3: Did you invent logarithms?
Not Queen Noor of Jordan.
Not Narcissus.
Not ... Sir Isaac Newton?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
IQs:

Were you a cabdriver on Taxi?
Did you and your commanding officer have a fling that started at a Christmas party?
Did a critic say that you "looked at foreign policy through the wrong end of a municipal drain pipe"?
Three DQs. (Love that last quote!)



N

1. Real
2. Male
3. Last name does not start with N (though really it does)
4. Dead
5. Not born after 1950
6. Not American
7. Originally European
8. Born after 1850
9. Not political/military (but was a naval officer)
10. Known for the arts
11. Not born after 1900
12. Not known for the performing arts
13. Not mostly known for a single incident
14. Not known for the visual arts
  #32  
Old 06-04-2019, 04:11 PM
Slow Moving Vehicle's Avatar
Slow Moving Vehicle is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 3,766
Previous IQs:

IQ1: Are you the American-born Queen of a Middle Eastern state? Correct, Queen Noor.

IQ2: Did you waste away, contemplating the beauty of your beloved, and eventually turn into a flower? - Correct, Narcissus.

IQ3: Did you invent logarithms? - Close, but no cigar. John Napier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAdian View Post
Not Queen Noor of Jordan.
Not Narcissus.
Not ... Sir Isaac Newton?
...
IQ1: Were you the Prime Minister of the UK whose ham-fisted fumbling arguably cost Great Britain its American colonies?

IQ2: Were you the author of two novellas, "A River Runs Through It" and "Hunting and Fishing and Your Pal, Jim", as well as the non-fiction work Young Men And Fire?

IQ3: Were you the nation’s second Quaker president?



DQ1: Best known by a pseudonym?

DQ2: Known for the literary arts?
  #33  
Old 06-04-2019, 04:37 PM
divemaster's Avatar
divemaster is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Gainesville, VA
Posts: 3,519
IQ1: According to Daniel, did you become like a beast, wandering the wilderness and eating grass for several years?
IQ2: Did you write the hit song "One," made a hit by Three Dog Night?
IQ3: Were you the foil for Laura Ingalls in TV's Little House on the Prairie?
  #34  
Old 06-04-2019, 04:56 PM
Prof. Pepperwinkle's Avatar
Prof. Pepperwinkle is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chateau Pepperwinkle
Posts: 56,280
DQ: British or Irish?
  #35  
Old 06-04-2019, 05:01 PM
Prof. Pepperwinkle's Avatar
Prof. Pepperwinkle is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chateau Pepperwinkle
Posts: 56,280
IQs:

1) Did you have a hit with Stop Draggin' My Heart Around?
2) Were you a male Ukranian ballet dancer of the early 20th Century?
3) Were you known for saying "Hi-ho, Steverino!"?
  #36  
Old 06-04-2019, 08:22 PM
SCAdian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
IQ1: Were you the Prime Minister of the UK whose ham-fisted fumbling arguably cost Great Britain its American colonies?

IQ2: Were you the author of two novellas, "A River Runs Through It" and "Hunting and Fishing and Your Pal, Jim", as well as the non-fiction work Young Men And Fire?

IQ3: Were you the nation’s second Quaker president?
Three DQs. (I know I'm going to kick myself for #1, but all I can think of is Pitt....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
IQ1: According to Daniel, did you become like a beast, wandering the wilderness and eating grass for several years?
IQ2: Did you write the hit song "One," made a hit by Three Dog Night?
IQ3: Were you the foil for Laura Ingalls in TV's Little House on the Prairie?
Not Nebuchadnezzar.
DQ.
Not ... Nellie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Pepperwinkle View Post
IQs:

1) Did you have a hit with Stop Draggin' My Heart Around?
2) Were you a male Ukranian ballet dancer of the early 20th Century?
3) Were you known for saying "Hi-ho, Steverino!"?
DQ.
Not Rudolf Nureyev.
DQ.



N

1. Real
2. Male
3. Last name does not start with N (though really it does)
4. Dead
5. Not born after 1950
6. Not American
7. Originally European
8. Born after 1850
9. Not political/military (but was a naval officer)
10. Known for the arts
11. Not born after 1900
12. Not known for the performing arts
13. Not mostly known for a single incident
14. Not known for the visual arts
15. Best known by a pseudonym
16. Known for the literary arts
17. British or Irish
  #37  
Old 06-04-2019, 10:27 PM
Slow Moving Vehicle's Avatar
Slow Moving Vehicle is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 3,766
[QUOTE=Slow Moving Vehicle;21680873]IQ1: Were you the Prime Minister of the UK whose ham-fisted fumbling arguably cost Great Britain its American colonies?

IQ2: Were you the author of two novellas, "A River Runs Through It" and "Hunting and Fishing and Your Pal, Jim", as well as the non-fiction work Young Men And Fire?

IQ3: Were you the nation’s second Quaker president?


Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAdian View Post
Three DQs. (I know I'm going to kick myself for #1, but all I can think of is Pitt....)
I think you're going to kick yourself for IQ3, too. IQ1 was Lord North; IQ2 was Norman Maclean, and IQ3 was (I think) the only President who's name started with an "N" - Richard Nixon. (The other Quaker was Herbert Hoover; interesting that the two Friends who have sat in Oval Office were both conservative Republicans.)


DQ1: Novelist?

DQ2: Journalist?

DQ3: Londoner?
__________________
“It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.”
― Neil Gaiman, Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
  #38  
Old 06-04-2019, 11:00 PM
Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 83,449
Previous IQs:

Were you a cabdriver on Taxi? - Elaine Nardo (Marilu Henner)
Did you and your commanding officer have a fling that started at a Christmas party? - Dr. Helen Noel and Capt. James T. Kirk in ST:TOS "Dagger of the Mind"
Did a critic say that you "looked at foreign policy through the wrong end of a municipal drain pipe"? - Churchill said this of Neville Chamberlain, who had been mayor of a big city (Manchester, I think) before entering Parliament

DQs:

Died before 1939?
Greatest fame before 1900?

One DQ reserved.
  #39  
Old 06-05-2019, 08:37 AM
Prof. Pepperwinkle's Avatar
Prof. Pepperwinkle is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chateau Pepperwinkle
Posts: 56,280
Quote:
IQs:

1) Did you have a hit with Stop Draggin' My Heart Around?
2) Were you a male Ukranian ballet dancer of the early 20th Century?
3) Were you known for saying "Hi-ho, Steverino!"?
DQ.
Not Rudolf Nureyev.
DQ.
#1 was Stevie Nicks.
#2 was Nijinsky. (Nureyev was in the second half of the 20th Century.)
#3 was Louie Nye.

3 DQs reserved.
  #40  
Old 06-05-2019, 08:41 AM
SCAdian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,651
N

1. Real
2. Male
3. Last name does not start with N (though really it does)
4. Dead
5. Not born after 1950
6. Not American
7. Originally European
8. Born after 1850
9. Not political/military (but was a naval officer)
10. Known for the arts
11. Not born after 1900
12. Not known for the performing arts
13. Not mostly known for a single incident
14. Not known for the visual arts
15. Best known by a pseudonym
16. Known for the literary arts
17. British or Irish
18. Novelist
19. Not a journalist
20. Not a Londoner
21. Did not die before 1939
22. Greatest fame not before 1900


Aaaand -- that's twenty. Please ask all earned DQs by tomorrow (Thursday) noon Eastern: By my count, EH has one, the Prof has three, and divemaster has one or two.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
IQ3 was (I think) the only President who's name started with an "N" - Richard Nixon. (The other Quaker was Herbert Hoover; interesting that the two Friends who have sat in Oval Office were both conservative Republicans.)
I was thrown off-balance by the "second" -- I hadn't realised we'd even had one Quaker president, let alone two. If I'd done a little thinking, I'm sure I would have thought of Nixon, the first president I ever voted for.
  #41  
Old 06-05-2019, 08:50 AM
SCAdian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,651
The uncertainty on the number of DQs divemaster has (one or two) is due to the fact that, while I'm sure my answer to his IQ1 is correct, my answer to his IQ3 was a guess based on vague memories of a forty-year-old TV show I've never watched.
  #42  
Old 06-05-2019, 08:52 AM
Prof. Pepperwinkle's Avatar
Prof. Pepperwinkle is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chateau Pepperwinkle
Posts: 56,280
DQs:

1) Known for mainstream fiction?
2) Unusual first name?
3) Movie(s) made from his novels?
  #43  
Old 06-05-2019, 10:34 AM
divemaster's Avatar
divemaster is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Gainesville, VA
Posts: 3,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
IQ1: According to Daniel, did you become like a beast, wandering the wilderness and eating grass for several years?
IQ2: Did you write the hit song "One," made a hit by Three Dog Night?
IQ3: Were you the foil for Laura Ingalls in TV's Little House on the Prairie?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAdian View Post

Not Nebuchadnezzar.
DQ.
Not ... Nellie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAdian View Post
The uncertainty on the number of DQs divemaster has (one or two) is due to the fact that, while I'm sure my answer to his IQ1 is correct, my answer to his IQ3 was a guess based on vague memories of a forty-year-old TV show I've never watched.
Yes, correct on IQ1 and IQ3! Your memory served you well. "Nellie Oleson"

IQ2 was Harry Nilsson.

I'll try to think of a DQ in a bit.
  #44  
Old 06-05-2019, 12:06 PM
Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 83,449
Hmm. Can't think of anyone who fits all the answers so far.

DQ:

Best known for a single novel?
  #45  
Old 06-05-2019, 01:35 PM
divemaster's Avatar
divemaster is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Gainesville, VA
Posts: 3,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
I'll try to think of a DQ in a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Pepperwinkle View Post
DQs:

1) Known for mainstream fiction?
2) Unusual first name?
3) Movie(s) made from his novels?
I was gonna ask #3 above, so I'll wait for the answers to these before trying to come up with my DQ.
  #46  
Old 06-05-2019, 01:43 PM
SCAdian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,651
N

1. Real
2. Male
3. Last name does not start with N (though really it does)
4. Dead
5. Not born after 1950
6. Not American
7. Originally European
8. Born after 1850
9. Not political/military (but was a naval officer)
10. Known for the arts
11. Not born after 1900
12. Not known for the performing arts
13. Not mostly known for a single incident
14. Not known for the visual arts
15. Best known by a pseudonym
16. Known for the literary arts
17. British or Irish
18. Novelist
19. Not a journalist
20. Not a Londoner
21. Did not die before 1939
22. Greatest fame not before 1900
23. Known (though not exclusively) for mainstream fiction
24. Unusual first name
25. Movies made from several of my novels
26. Best known for a single novel
  #47  
Old 06-05-2019, 02:30 PM
divemaster's Avatar
divemaster is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Gainesville, VA
Posts: 3,519
I have no idea what to ask. But I guess it doesn't matter, b/c I ain't gonna be able to guess the answer.

DQ: Are the "movies made from several of my novels" rated R? (Or, if not rated by the MPAA, would they generally be considered "R" level movies?)
  #48  
Old 06-05-2019, 04:13 PM
Prof. Pepperwinkle's Avatar
Prof. Pepperwinkle is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chateau Pepperwinkle
Posts: 56,280
All I'm coming up with is Ngaio Marsh, and she wrote mysteries.... so that's a dead end.
  #49  
Old 06-05-2019, 05:59 PM
SCAdian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,651
N

1. Real
2. Male
3. Last name does not start with N (though really it does)
4. Dead
5. Not born after 1950
6. Not American
7. Originally European
8. Born after 1850
9. Not political/military (but was a naval officer)
10. Known for the arts
11. Not born after 1900
12. Not known for the performing arts
13. Not mostly known for a single incident
14. Not known for the visual arts
15. Best known by a pseudonym
16. Known for the literary arts
17. British or Irish
18. Novelist
19. Not a journalist
20. Not a Londoner
21. Did not die before 1939
22. Greatest fame not before 1900
23. Known (though not exclusively) for mainstream fiction
24. Unusual first name
25. Movies made from several of my novels
26. Best known for a single novel
27. Movies made from my novels were not rated R or higher.


EH, Prof, SMV, KO, dm: Please ask your "Are you Firstname Lastname?" DQs by 10 PM Eastern tomorrow (Thursday).

Last edited by SCAdian; 06-05-2019 at 06:00 PM.
  #50  
Old 06-05-2019, 09:51 PM
Prof. Pepperwinkle's Avatar
Prof. Pepperwinkle is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chateau Pepperwinkle
Posts: 56,280
Just a thought.... the last name doesn't start with an N, but that doesn't necessarily mean the first name does. He may be an author whose middle name starts with an N, and is always used. Think Robert Louis Stevenson, but with an N.

Or not.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017