Old 06-05-2019, 10:21 PM

Lol “rare 2 story McDonald’s.” That’s cute.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
Lol “rare 2 story McDonald’s.” That’s cute.
Are they common where you're at? I don't think I can think of one in my area. I've come across them before, but only in Europe.

Last edited by pulykamell; 06-05-2019 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Are they common where you're at? I don't think I can think of one in my area. I've come across them before, but only in Europe.
The "Rock and Roll McDonalds" in the tourist trap area of Chicago was two stories. I haven't been back since they rebuilt it so I don't know if it is still two stories. There are others in the Loop area.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:26 AM

The one in Oakbrook by the (old) McDonald's corporate campus is two stories as well.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
The "Rock and Roll McDonalds" in the tourist trap area of Chicago was two stories. I haven't been back since they rebuilt it so I don't know if it is still two stories. There are others in the Loop area.
Oh, I forgot that one had two stories. Then again, I think I've only been there once or twice, despite being born and growing up in this city.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
In higher wage areas, they actually outsource the drive-thru voice to lower wage areas, so you're speaking via the Internet to somebody in West Virginia or wherever.
A few years ago at DTW, Hertz had a similar system. My registered credit card had expired, and I had to stand in line, which is usually horribly, painfully slow. However, they had some brand new kiosk with a video screen to remote employees somewhere, which made fixing my issue lightning quick. It was great.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

My favorite McDonald's, though, is the one at Nyugati Rail Station in Budapest
Quote:
Yeah, all the Loop ones that I could think of that I've been in have been one floor. I guess I've just been unlucky. I've seriously never been in a two-floor/multi-floor McD's in the US, except perhaps that Rock N Roll McD's, but I can't really say I remember it well. In the scheme of things, I do think they qualify as "rare."

Speaking of rare, a few weeks ago I saw one of those McDonald's locations that still had an "over 99 billion served" (or whatever number it was) sign on it. And the "99" was a changeable number sign. I don't think I've seen one of those in at least 20 years.

Last edited by pulykamell; 06-06-2019 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Looks like 1994 is when they got to 100 billion served, and that's when McD's execs got together and told all the operators that they should change their signs to "billions and billions served." I do remember that signage. I've been on the lookout since seeing that McD's, and have not seen another one yet with that old-style signage. Here's what it looks like. Does anyone else still see these signs around? Heck, while being aware of it, I haven't even seen any McD's with "billions and billions served" on their signage. It's just the golden arches and the name.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:

Yeah, all the Loop ones that I could think of that I've been in have been one floor. I guess I've just been unlucky. I've seriously never been in a two-floor/multi-floor McD's in the US, except perhaps that Rock N Roll McD's, but I can't really say I remember it well. In the scheme of things, I do think they qualify as "rare."
The one at the corner of Dearborn and Randolph is 2 stories.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
The Randolph & Dearborn McDonalds for one. I haven't been to the Rock N Roll one since they rebuilt. All the prices are higher and they don't have 99c drinks. Or at least they didn't.

ETA: Oops, didn't see your post gaffa. I know there are at least a couple of others in the Loop that are 2 stories.

Last edited by Folly; 06-06-2019 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm with you. I may have been in a two-story McD's in NYC but if so I don't remember it. I've been in fewer than 5 2-story chain* fast food places in my life, period, and that may be an overestimate: the only one I distinctly remember is an Arby's in Rochester NY that was obviously a former location of a small shop and apartment combination since the bottom floor was very narrow and only had enough space to order and a couple tables, with the main eating floor above it.

*Counter-serve restaurants at Disney excepted as they are not chains.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
On the cups, you need to get them from the counter so you can hit the soda machine.
At a local McDs I just went to yesterday, the cups were out on the floor next to the kiosk, apparently on an honor system as there was nothing preventing walking up and filling whatever drink or size you want, regardless of having ordered anything. You still have to beg for the miserly parceled ketchup packets however.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:24 PM

no, but I do have issues with their new dual drive thru in that they take the orders randomly- they might take three in a row from line one, then the first one in line two, and at the window they always have to verify your order because they cant seem to keep track with the two lines?
Old 06-06-2019, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Doork View Post
no, but I do have issues with their new dual drive thru in that they take the orders randomly- they might take three in a row from line one, then the first one in line two, and at the window they always have to verify your order because they cant seem to keep track with the two lines?
Oddly, around here they've been great with the dual lines. I don't know how exactly they keep track of it, but I've been impressed as to how they've always gotten my order right. Like it's something I really thought was just going to be a mess, but it's always worked out for me, no matter how many cars.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Oddly, around here they've been great with the dual lines. I don't know how exactly they keep track of it, but I've been impressed as to how they've always gotten my order right. Like it's something I really thought was just going to be a mess, but it's always worked out for me, no matter how many cars.
HIGHLY possible the trouble with mine is due to the intelligence of the specific employees, and not the system itself

Last edited by Helmut Doork; 06-06-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
What amazes me every time I'm somewhere that has one, is how In N Out makes it work. Seriously. The burgers are delicious and reasonably priced (a double is like $3.50, so not on the same scale as similar quality burger joints like Five Guys or Fatburger where it's closer to $5 or $6). They pay their employees well (I believe in Cali, they start at $13/hr). They seem to employ a shitload of people (last time I was in Phoenix, the In N Out I visited, I counted something like 14 or 15 employees working the lunch rush--these are just the ones I was able to see.) Everybody who works there seems happy as a clam and takes pride in their job. It's like they're lacing the water with happy pills or something. As I understand it, they get decent benefits, too. It's always amazed me as how in the hell they make it work. It's always seemed to me like they should be charging customers double at the same volume to be able to support all that.
Not having one is my area, was absolutely floored to go on vacation and getting a fully dressed, delicious double burger for about three bucks, in Hollywood!

And here in the south the standard two patty Five Guys with cheese is now $7.99!

Last edited by Helmut Doork; 06-06-2019 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
I'm with you. I may have been in a two-story McD's in NYC but if so I don't remember it. I've been in fewer than 5 2-story chain* fast food places in my life, period, and that may be an overestimate: the only one I distinctly remember is an Arby's in Rochester NY that was obviously a former location of a small shop and apartment combination since the bottom floor was very narrow and only had enough space to order and a couple tables, with the main eating floor above it.

*Counter-serve restaurants at Disney excepted as they are not chains.
Without walking around and checking, I'd say half of the chain fast food places in the Loop are multi-story - Wendy's, McDonald's, Arby's.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Without walking around and checking, I'd say half of the chain fast food places in the Loop are multi-story - Wendy's, McDonald's, Arby's.
Maybe I’ve always just missed the stairs or something, but I’ve not noticed that many (well, any, to be honest, but I guess there must be some. There’s no way it’s anywhere near a half, or I just happen to have luck for only finding one level establishments. The McDonalds I would go to is the one on Wabash and the one by the Chase building.) I used to work in the Loop for about three years, and I just can’t think of running into multilevel fast food establishments. Is there even a Wendy’s in the Loop?

Last edited by pulykamell; 06-06-2019 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
For folk like me, who use my phone primarily to make and receive phone calls and texts,
I use mine primarily to see what time it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
a contactless debit card
Whatever that might be....
Old 06-06-2019, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

I use my Apple Watch to pay at the kiosk. When everything works itís a nice system. I can zip in place my order and pay in about a minute.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Is there even a Wendyís in the Loop?
Used to be a few years ago. Pretty near the Chase building actually. I think it was technically multi-story. At least there were some stairs leading down, but I think they might have been roped off a lot...
Old 06-07-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folly View Post
Used to be a few years ago. Pretty near the Chase building actually. I think it was technically multi-story. At least there were some stairs leading down, but I think they might have been roped off a lot...
Yeah, I just checked Google Street View and it has closed. It wasn't a great Wendy's, but at least it was down there when you had the urge for Wendy's. There was another over by the LaSalle El stop, but it's probably gone too.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:59 AM

IME occasionally stopping in at McD's all around the country on road trips, not a big McD guy but don't avoid it altogether, the experience tends to reflect the local culture and varies very widely. McD's out in most rural areas as *so* clean compared to our nearest one (right next to NY, let alone the ones over in Manhattan which make ours look spotless in comparison). Also the organization for crowded times and stuff like that varies a lot just depending on the manager/franchise holder in a particular outlet.

I haven't done the automated kiosk thing, purely from inertia, it's not any 'statement' about anything. And they don't have that yet anyway in the one within walking distance.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Very common here in Manhattan.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:04 PM

I prefer using the kiosks, especially in Europe where there could be a language barrier. Makes it so much easier. BTW there's a really nice 2 level Mcdonalds in Rome near the Spanish Steps. Also has a nice Mc Cafe in it.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
I'm with you. I may have been in a two-story McD's in NYC but if so I don't remember it.
I would say that in Manhattan, the majority of McD's have two stories. Obviously, this is somewhat unscientific, but I can say that the majority of McD restaurants that I have been in in Manhattan have two stories.

In Queens, it's a different story, and McD's are quite likely to resemble suburban McD's, with a parking lot and a drive-through window, and be free-standing buildings with only one floor.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintly Loser View Post
I would say that in Manhattan, the majority of McD's have two stories. Obviously, this is somewhat unscientific, but I can say that the majority of McD restaurants that I have been in in Manhattan have two stories.

In Queens, it's a different story, and McD's are quite likely to resemble suburban McD's, with a parking lot and a drive-through window, and be free-standing buildings with only one floor.
Yes. I was just mentally running through the McDs restaurants in Manhattan that Iím familiar with and most of them are two story, with additional seating upstairs. Most of the available NYC storefronts are fairly narrow and street level storefront rents are really expensive, the additional second floor space is probably much cheaper.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag Otto View Post
I might have mentioned this elsewhere, but I was recently at a Starbucks, where one menu board (out of seven) behind the counter had a short list of items, and only prices for one size. The remaining six menu boards had photos of food and coffee, but nothing else. At the bottom of the one menu board that had the short list was the message "For our full menu, please download our app". Like hell I will. If you can't be bothered to put your full menu up in the actual business, you are missing the idea of a menu. WTF?
OMG, yes. This drives me insane. I haven't encountered this at Subway, but definitely at McDonalds. I always have to ask how much for a plain hamburger or cheeseburger. Sigh....
Old 06-09-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaming yawn View Post
I was ok with the kiosks until I read that they have tested them and every single one had trace amounts of fecal matter on the screen. Yes it is probably everywhere but now that I know its on the kiosk I stay away. ......
I wonder if that's true at the ATM at the bank? Oy....
Old 06-10-2019, 09:30 AM

By the way, if a particular McDonald's is unacceptable, report it via their website feedback system. I've done so and I have seen change. The whole idea of McDonald's is rigid adherence to corporate standards, cleanliness and speedy service.