Old 06-03-2019, 04:29 PM

Movie trailers that misrepresent the movie

What movies did you see that were misrepresented by the trailer?

I remember the ads for Porky's on TV. It looked like it would be a riot. The only problem was (in my opinion), I'd seen all the real funny parts in the TV ads. The rest of the film was mediocre at best. I never bothered with the sequels.

Armageddon: The trailer showed pieces of meteors hitting famous landmarks like the Eiffel Tower, buildings in NYC, etc. Those scenes, which were in the 1st minutes of the film, were made solely for the trailers. It really did not represent what was going to happen in the film. A meteor was headed to earth, but don't tell the public or they will panic. OH??? How do you explain the destruction of the Eiffel Tower to the public?

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. The trailer shows Martin and Caine walking along a canal when Martin casually shoves an old lady into the water. While it did not misrepresent the content of the film, that scene was not in the movie.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:46 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

The 1999 version of The Mummy, with Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weisz. The trailer made it look like a straight-up monster / thriller movie, and only hinted at the fact that it's actually a very funny film.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:52 PM

This Fight Club trailer makes the movie look like every dumb action movie.

Tons of trailers have scenes that don't make it to the film, not sure we should count solely on that merit?
Old 06-03-2019, 04:57 PM

I never wanted to see Fight Club because of the trailer, which was almost all... well, fighty. Okay, and a random airplane crash and a car crash (meh). Why would I want to watch sweaty male fisticuffs? And it seems much of the public assumed as I did, and stayed away like I did.

Until one of my students thrust it into my hands as we left for Christmas break and said "You HAVE to watch this. Trust me." So glad he did.

ETA: The first rule of Ninja Club is... you get ninja'ed.

Last edited by digs; 06-03-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

The Minus Man trailer made it look like the kind of movie you would be talking about for days, trying to figure it out.

Honestly, the movie is worse than the trailer and is actually a huge snooze-fest. Boooooring!
Old 06-03-2019, 05:32 PM

The American Ultra trailer made it look like a goofy stoner way in over his head type of movie like Pineapple Express but it was like 95% action movie, all the funny bits are in the trailer.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

The Man who Loved Women was marketed as a slapstick comedy, showing the only slapstick scene in the movie, which actually was a serious movie about the nature of love.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
I never wanted to see Fight Club because of the trailer, which was almost all... well, fighty. Okay, and a random airplane crash and a car crash (meh). Why would I want to watch sweaty male fisticuffs? And it seems much of the public assumed as I did, and stayed away like I did.

Until one of my students thrust it into my hands as we left for Christmas break and said "You HAVE to watch this. Trust me." So glad he did.

ETA: The first rule of Ninja Club is... you get ninja'ed.
That's cool, I think that was actually the trailer I remembered and therefore didn't have any interest in the film. It did not do well in theaters, but came out on DVD and got a word of mouth following.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:20 PM

Someone else mentioned in the "Movie wasn't what I expected" thread that the trailers for Arachnophobia made it seem like a fun John Goodman comedy. I remember the same thing from when I was a kid, expecting it to be fun comedy based on the trailers, but I honestly found it kind of scary when I first saw it. I would have been 10 when it was released but I probably watched it on video at a friend's house later. Many of my peers in school said they thought it was funny though, although I wonder if they were just trying to act "tough".
Old 06-03-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
The American Ultra trailer made it look like a goofy stoner way in over his head type of movie like Pineapple Express but it was like 95% action movie, all the funny bits are in the trailer.
Okay, that looks fun. But then I'm a sucker for that "Whoa, I have powers/info/skills I didn't know I had" schtick.

Only 43% on Rotten To-mah-toes, but some good comments (that agree with DigitalC's inclusion of it in this thread):
Quote:
They are selling this as a comedy but it was a lot more dramatic than I expected. Sure there are a few laughs here and there, but it was more action packed, suspenseful, and actually kind of tragic. Great acting all around. You really feel for Eisenberg's character in some ways even more than Matt Damon's Jason Bourne because here he actually seems kind of relatable. Kristen Stewart was really good too. My favorite was Walton Grobbit as Laughter. A superb performance.
Topher Grace was a pretty good villain as well. If only Red was there to put his foot in his ass!
Old 06-03-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Okay, that looks fun. But then I'm a sucker for that "Whoa, I have powers/info/skills I didn't know I had" schtick.

Only 43% on Rotten To-mah-toes, but some good comments (that agree with DigitalC's inclusion of it in this thread):
It was not terrible, just not what I expected.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:29 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Given the message of the movie, Fight Club was marketed brilliantly.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:29 PM

All of them. Every single trailer ever.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:41 PM

Screen Junkies has a channel/show/whatever that y'all might enjoy:

Honest Trailers - The Mummy (1999)
Honest Trailers - Fight Club
Old 06-04-2019, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Watch it, it's quite good for that genre. Eisenberg's detachment is put to good use, and Stewart was a delight.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:35 AM

I recall the trailer for Super depicting a comedy starring Dwight from The Office as a regular guy with no powers dressing up like a super hero.
The movie was much sadder and darker than the trailer made it out to be.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:46 PM

Bridge to Terabithia is a classic example of the misleading trailer where they packed all the CGI fantasy elements into the trailer to ride on interest in movies like The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe. In reality, the fantasy elements only make up a very small portion of the film.

There was a 2008 Amy Adams film, Sunshine Cleaners, where Adams plays a woman who starts a business cleaning homes after deaths, suicides, murders, etc. The trailer I saw for it played it up as a comedy when, in reality, it was 90% drama about her relationship with her sister and father with a couple comedy scenes.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizor View Post
I recall the trailer for Super depicting a comedy starring Dwight from The Office as a regular guy with no powers dressing up like a super hero.
The movie was much sadder and darker than the trailer made it out to be.
Man, I'd completely forgotten about that movie. Yeah, shit got quite dark.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:06 PM

The trailer for The Bicentennial Man made it seem to be a comedy when it was a fairly serious film. I suspect that's one of the reasons it didn't do well at the box office.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:42 AM

When I saw the trailer for Cowboys & Aliens I was excited to see what I assumed would be one of the best movies of all time. Then I saw the movie. WTF?
Old 06-05-2019, 07:10 AM

The end of the trailer for Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Michael Caine and Steve Martin) has Martin pushing a woman into the water. Couldn't find that scene in the movie. Was very disappointed.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:48 AM

re: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels - what people often miss in the trailer is that when Steve pushes the old lady into the water, Michael smooshes an ice cream cone into a kid's face.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:46 AM

Drive looked like a classier Fast and Furious. Turned out to be a slow noir film.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Passengers. Trailer sold it as an action romantic adventure. The reality was much darker and tainted the whole romantic element and Pratt being a hero.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:39 AM

The Shining was actually a bit darker than this trailer made it seem.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:48 AM

The trailer for UHF showed all the physical gags from the film, but there weren't as many as you'd think. Fortunately, the film was actually much funnier than the trailer made it out to be.