Old 06-07-2019, 12:25 PM

Holocaust survivors being murdered in post-WW2 years, any information about that?

I read somewhere that some Holocaust survivors were murdered during the post-war period in Germany (and other countries formerly occupied by the Nazis), usually after they returned to their homes and businesses and found out that other people had taken them over. Some were also hunted down by small, local Neo-Nazi crime groups. Any sources/information confirming that? The closest thing I could find was this, though it is not really the same thing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kielce_pogrom
Old 06-07-2019, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

[Moderating]

Unless Holocaust survivors being killed is somehow entertainment, I think you put this in the wrong forum. Moving from CS to GQ.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:56 PM

It was mentioned in Volume 2 of the biographical graphic novel Maus . The main character is told about a Jew murdered after returning to his farm to find a new occupant who shouts angrily that she though Hitler had killed him. He goes to sleep in the barn and gets hung by locals after that. It was purely anecdotal but was a warning for him not to return to Poland.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Miskatonic View Post
It was mentioned in Volume 2 of the biographical graphic novel Maus . The main character is told about a Jew murdered after returning to his farm to find a new occupant who shouts angrily that she though Hitler had killed him. He goes to sleep in the barn and gets hung by locals after that. It was purely anecdotal but was a warning for him not to return to Poland.
I know the government of Canada thoughtfully disposed of the property of Japanese-Canadian internees, sometimes for pennies on the dollar. (in fact, I read that some were not allowed to return to the west coast until 1949.)

I would imagine many of the governments that emerged from WWII must have had means to dispose of the property of those that apparently had died or disappeared during the extreme upheaval of genocide and war. I can also see those who thought they'd hit the jackpot with a cheap (free?) farm not being too happy to lose it. But I haven't heard of that sort of vigilante action to enforce their windfall. Which brings up the question of what was the process to reclaim land or other property for returning survivors? I gather from the news that even looted art is still a bone of contention today. Add to that the complication of documentation. Between the destruction of war and pernicious racism, it might be difficult to document proof of title - paperwork has a way of disappearing from local archives.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:46 AM

Since I first learned of it, the April 1945 murder of Leon Feldhendler in Lublin has upset me. He defied monumental odds when he led and survived the heroic revolt at the Sobibor death camp only to be killed by Polish anti-semites in the last days of the war.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:55 AM

There are, unfortunately, many examples of this occuring, particularly as noted up thread in Poland. One very depressing read that both covers this but also many of the other atrocities commited against different groups of people in post-WWII Europe is covered in Keith Lowe's Savage Continent.

In western europe there where few examples of outright murder, but often years of legal battles and general unpleasantness. The exodus to Israel was not solely out of fear of the next Hitler.