Old 06-08-2019, 02:09 PM

Late to the Party: We just started watching The Orville

So we got the first season from the library. I had looked over the thread from the beginning but I didn't read it all.

We're appreciating the sci-fi aspect and the humor. I understand the discussions about whether it should be classified as sci-fi, comedy, or dramedy.

After watching a while, is it worth it? Should I look for season 2?

The ship has interesting construction. Will the show ever explain how it works?
When looking at the back of the ship, I see Jeff Dunham's puppet Peanut' mouth. Wearing a retainer.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:33 PM
Mere Member

It's a lot better the second season, and I really liked the first season. The humor isn't as stupid. I don't recall if they explained more about the technology. I don't think they did.

If you enjoyed the first season, the second season is definitely worth finding.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:36 PM

The first season was fun but uneven. The second season is stronger. Less reliance on humour, though it's still a factor, more reliance on character and storytelling. It gets to some stories I think TNG would be proud to have done.

Reading some commentary on the second season often left me feeling that the commentary writer was still expecting an episodic, comedic format where there would be a fart joke and, at the end of the episode, everything would be reset to where it started, very few things carrying over from one episode to the next. But that isn't the case - it's a series telling a long-running story, so things have consequences from one episode to the next. Hell, one of the second-season episodes calls back to the very first episode. Things like the Moclan culture coming up a lot can feel odd if you're in that episodic mindset but, in the framework of a running story arc, it feels less odd.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:55 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavalla View Post
Less reliance on humour, though it's still a factor, more reliance on character and storytelling.
Don't worry. There are some moments of comic brilliance in the second season. They just tend to be less fart-driven. Although there is one bit (by Gordon) that focuses on bodily elimination.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post
There are some moments of comic brilliance in the second season.
Cigarettes.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:30 PM

The first few episodes of S2 are the same quality level as S1 - uneven. It's S2E5 where the show finds its footing and it's consistently good after that. By all means, if you like S1, watch it all. To those of you who didn't really like S1, you could start at S2E5 and give it another try.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:23 PM

It's a lot like "Galaxy Quest: the Series"; like that movie, it initially seemed like the show hadn't completely decided whether they were a Star Trek parody or a tribute, but eventually they both landed on "it started as the former, but ended as the latter."
Old 06-13-2019, 01:27 PM

It's not a parody. "Homage" fits closest. But in reality, the origin story is that Seth was a teenager when TNG came out. He wanted to be the captain in a star trek series. He spent the rest of his career making connections, making shows, making hundreds of millions of dollars, and establishing credibility in hollywood so that he could make that happen and be his own Star Trek captain. Which is some of the coolest wish fulfillment in history.

Except his version of Star Trek has some regular people instead of paragons of virtue, from which the humor derives.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
Except his version of Star Trek has some regular people instead of paragons of virtue,.....
I've never met a paragon.