#1  
Old 06-09-2019, 07:55 PM
Velocity is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 14,338

Yanking on power sockets too hard


Just moved into a new flat and many of the power sockets are extremely......snug. You can't plug in something, or unplug it, without a good deal of force. Does this forceful plugging and unplugging risk damaging the power outlets and causing fire or something?
  #2  
Old 06-09-2019, 08:41 PM
K2500 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 524
If they are constructed and retained in the same way as they are here in the us then yanking could definately damage the receptacle and possible RIP the whole shebang out the wall, though I'll admit I'm not even a little familiar with overseas wiring methods or construction practices. Generally I would advise slight a slight wiggle whilst pulling moderately for stubborn devices.
  #3  
Old 06-09-2019, 08:49 PM
beowulff's Avatar
beowulff is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Scottsdale, more-or-less
Posts: 16,528
Yanking (which implies using the power cord to pull the plug out) should never be done. Ever.
If the outlets are tight, that means they are new. They will loosen up over time.
Just wiggle the plug out until they get loose enough.
  #4  
Old 06-09-2019, 09:00 PM
Velocity is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 14,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff View Post
Yanking (which implies using the power cord to pull the plug out) should never be done. Ever.
If the outlets are tight, that means they are new. They will loosen up over time.
Just wiggle the plug out until they get loose enough.
I doubt these are new outlets; the building is perhaps 20 years old.

Maybe "yank" wasn't the right term, but I had to wiggle and pry with a lot of force and time.
  #5  
Old 06-09-2019, 09:01 PM
Velocity is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 14,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2500 View Post
If they are constructed and retained in the same way as they are here in the us then yanking could definately damage the receptacle and possible RIP the whole shebang out the wall, though I'll admit I'm not even a little familiar with overseas wiring methods or construction practices.
Well, I'm in Austin, TX. (I should have said apartment instead of flat)
  #6  
Old 06-09-2019, 09:17 PM
K2500 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Well, I'm in Austin, TX. (I should have said apartment instead of flat)
Good ol Austin. I'll be down there later this month.

If you're wiggle and prying with a great deal of force over time, especially on 20yo recepticles I wonder if they're not broken in some way. Is it all of them or one or two? It's possible they were all replaced relatively recently or might have seen exceptionally little use since the day they were installed but for most apartment complexes those two things are highly unlikely barring some exceptional circumstance.
  #7  
Old 06-10-2019, 09:00 AM
Chefguy's Avatar
Chefguy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 41,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
I doubt these are new outlets; the building is perhaps 20 years old.

Maybe "yank" wasn't the right term, but I had to wiggle and pry with a lot of force and time.
Perhaps they were replaced? My house was built in 1904, but the outlets are only 10 years old because I replaced them all.
  #8  
Old 06-10-2019, 09:07 AM
swampspruce's Avatar
swampspruce is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cool Pool
Posts: 4,322
^ This. I'm in the process of replacing the original (as in new in 64) receptacles in the Outlaw's house. The new ones have a safety tab that prevents youngsters from sticking things into one side of the plug. Personally, I think it's ridiculous in that it makes it very difficult to plug anything into them. How are kids supposed to learn how to change a fuse if they don't blow them first?
__________________
Life is an economy. Where everything must be traded for something else and the value of all things rise and fall with the amount of attention and effort you put into them. -Mark Manson
  #9  
Old 06-10-2019, 09:09 AM
TriPolar is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: rhode island
Posts: 40,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Just moved into a new flat
We don't have flats here. Are you in the UK?
  #10  
Old 06-10-2019, 01:13 PM
Tamerlane is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: SF Bay Area, California
Posts: 13,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
We don't have flats here. Are you in the UK?
The term apartment is favored in North America (although in some cities flat is used for a unit which is part of a house containing two or three units, typically one to a floor).

I use that second definition all the time in my area, where homes converted to duplexes- triplexes with one apartment to a floor are commonish .
  #11  
Old 06-11-2019, 08:02 AM
zweisamkeit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: detroit, east-side
Posts: 4,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
The term apartment is favored in North America (although in some cities flat is used for a unit which is part of a house containing two or three units, typically one to a floor).

I use that second definition all the time in my area, where homes converted to duplexes- triplexes with one apartment to a floor are commonish .
Me too. I currently live in the second floor of a two flat.
  #12  
Old 06-11-2019, 08:17 AM
steronz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oh-hiya-Maude
Posts: 4,894
Are they tamper resistant? You'll see like white plastic inside the holes. They can be tricky to line up the plug right and get the cover to retract, sometimes it takes a lot of force.

Quote:
When equal pressure is simultaneously applied to both sides, the receptacle cover plates open to allow the standard plug to make contact with the receptacle contact points. Without this simultaneous pressure, the cover plates remain closed, preventing insertion of foreign objects and protecting your children from painful, traumatic electrical injuries.
These are installed almost anywhere children can be, so I can see an apartment complex retrofitting them out of a fear of liability.
  #13  
Old 06-11-2019, 04:41 PM
xizor's Avatar
xizor is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 5,413
My mother told me I would go blind if I yanked on my power socket too hard.
  #14  
Old 06-12-2019, 04:50 AM
Melbourne is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
The term apartment is favored in North America (although in some cities flat is used for a unit which is part of a house containing two or three units, typically one to a floor).

I use that second definition all the time in my area, where homes converted to duplexes- triplexes with one apartment to a floor are commonish .
Which I think describes traditional London flats too: Grand city residences converted into "Flats", retaining the grand stairway as a common area.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017