Old 06-11-2019, 05:29 PM

I've never been a big fan of mashed potatoes either until about a year ago when I suddenly started to crave them.

I don't know why, but now I really enjoy them. Gravy or not.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:35 PM

I don't know if there is form of potato that I do not enjoy. From fried to soup, I likes 'em all.

Mashed taters are not my everyday fave, but can really be enjoyable with the right meal.

And with the leftovers, we make potato pancakes!

mmmmmmmpotatopancakes

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca

Last edited by Typo Negative; 06-11-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:58 PM

If there are no mashed potatoes what am I to do if it is that kind of party?

CMC fnord!
Old 06-11-2019, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcWoman View Post
This is the solution the OP is looking for. Sometimes they're called "rustic style". (Or maybe that's just what I call them.) Sometimes I'll even leave some or all of the peel on the potatoes, scored before cooking so that they end up as little bits of peel and not a huge lump. They say most of the vitamins and minerals are in the skin, so why not keep it in for that reason as well as texture?

Also, use a manual masher.
I prefer using a ricer. I usually dislike whipped potatoes because PEOPLE DON'T KNOW WHEN TO FUCKING STOP BEATING THEM! Or they add too much liquid and they turn to mush.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Which reminds me of this exchange from Frasier, ep 7.9, "The Apparent Trap":

Martin: Wait, wait, what are you doing?!
Daphne: I'm mashing the potatoes.
Martin: By hand? You're supposed to whip potatoes, therefore every bite tastes the same.
Daphne: Isn't that a bit bland?
Martin: Hello? Welcome to potatoes!
Or Fonize: Great mashed potatoes, Mrs C. Just like they make at the diner, nice and stiff.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:20 PM

You just haven't added enough butter yet.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
Nobody wants a mountain of potato fluff whilst they're eating a cheeseburger.
I beg to differ... that is what I made for dinner last night (on purpose). Burger grilled over an apple wood fire with a side of mashed potatoes with lots of butter, bacon bits, and salt and pepper.

Quote:
Regarding baked potatoes, Gus Gusterson's comment had me wondering if I'm eating them incorrectly. I cut them open and plop some butter and salt and then use my forth to smoosh it all together, hence making what is essentially mashed potatoes in the skin bowl.
Exactly how I eat mine. Lumpier than mashed but essentially the same with the bonus of the crispy skin to eat.

Quote:
And yes, potatoes au gratin can indeed fuck off.
This and the others who are upset about au gratin or scalloped potatoes (not the same thing) I just don't get. How can you go wrong adding cheese and/or dairy to potato slices and baking it?
Old 06-11-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post
I beg to differ... that is what I made for dinner last night (on purpose). Burger grilled over an apple wood fire with a side of mashed potatoes with lots of butter, bacon bits, and salt and pepper.

Exactly how I eat mine. Lumpier than mashed but essentially the same with the bonus of the crispy skin to eat.

This and the others who are upset about au gratin or scalloped potatoes (not the same thing) I just don't get. How can you go wrong adding cheese and/or dairy to potato slices and baking it?
What the hell do YOU know about potatoes?
Old 06-11-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Part of my problem with these is that they are so often done badly. Cheap, fake cheese tops the list of insults here. I love good, rich potato casserole but if you're going to eat the calories, don't half ass it. Use good ingredient, good technique and make it a proper treat.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Twit View Post
Part of my problem with these is that they are so often done badly. Cheap, fake cheese tops the list of insults here. I love good, rich potato casserole but if you're going to eat the calories, don't half ass it. Use good ingredient, good technique and make it a proper treat.
I guess I can give you that. If all you have had is from a box they aren't amazing, but still not horrible in my opinion. About a month ago we were in Chicago and went to Maple and Ash (2 Michelin Stars) and the potatoes au gratin were one of the highlights of the meal.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
I can only assume you've gone through life so far without ever having been served good mashed potatoes, because they are quite lovely when made right.
Agreed. The basic recipe is about as simple as can be but slight variations can make a big difference in quality and texture. I'm a big fan of all forms of potato, but mashed is essential for dishes involving gravy, like roast beef and turkey. I cannot imagine a roast beef dinner or turkey and stuffing without a big dollop of mashed potatoes! There's a sort of boutique grocery store around here that sells really wonderful garlic mashed potatoes that I'll sometimes buy as a labor-saving measure if I'm making a complicated dinner, but being pretentiously upscale they price the stuff rather outrageously. But it's certainly one way to get consistent excellence!
Old 06-11-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Same. I make 'em with a lot of butter, a good amount of milk, chives and horseradish sauce and serve them with burgers or roast chicken. Never have any left despite using a whole 5lb sack of potatoes to make them.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I like cheesy potatoes. It's the onion that doesn't work for me. For me onion is a seasoning, not a food to eat as a vegetable. I often prefer powdered to avoid the texture.

I do like mashed potatoes, though.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:09 PM

The texture is what makes mashed taters wonderful. IMHO

I've always loved that buttery, smooth goodness in my mouth.

I don't like course stuff like bacon bits in my mash.

It saddens me that my favorite side dish is unhealthy. We don't make it too often anymore. Only for special family dinners.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:17 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Peel two potatoes and sliver them down on the mandolin side of your box grater (I know you own one).

Put half of them in the bottom of a buttered baking dish. Salt & pepper and a quarter cup of shredded Gruyere (other side of that same box grater). Layer the other half of the potatoes on top, more S&P, and another quarter cup of cheese. Now pour over some strong beef or chicken stock until the potatoes are just submerged.

Cover and put into a 400 oven for a half hour, then uncover and give it another 20 minutes or so, just until the stock is absorbed and the cheese browned and everything is bubbly.

Take it out, wait twenty minutes to cool and congeal, and serve. Congratulations, you’ve just made an easy Gratin Savoyard, and you can call yourself a French Chef.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
My normal go to is just butter (way too much for a healthy diet), salt and pepper but sometimes I'll toss in a bit of bacon, chives, and/or grated sharp cheddar. Same with baked... I rarely go with a "loaded" option but every now and then it is a good complement to the meal.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Probably don't like coarse stuff, either.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTech View Post
Mashed potatoes can be your friends...
🎶 Dare to be stupid!
xxxDare to be stupid!
🎶
Old 06-12-2019, 02:58 AM

i think unless they have cheese on then the only good potato is one thats fried in some manner........recently my aunt didnt make potato salad for a bbq/holiday for the first time in her life and the world rejoiced .......
Old 06-12-2019, 09:58 AM

Why? Some people just hate stuff. I hate green peppers (they taste like ear wax to me), my wife loves them. I have no desire to gain an appreciation for them, nor convince her that they're bad.

Nobody's gonna like everything.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:06 PM

For those of you who do like mashed potatoes here's two things to try: First, grab that bottle of horseradish you have sitting in the fridge (You know you do) and add a healthy heaping tablespoon to your pot along with your butter/sour cream/Greek yogourt/Gruyere/whathaveyou.

Second, make Pommes Aligot. You're welcome.

OP: It's not about the mash itself but more about what it's with. Make'em rustic, leave the skins on and you'll get a mix of flavours and textures.

Last edited by swampspruce; 06-12-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
This statement is very spot on.

As for the OP: don't give up on the genre of mashed taters until you've tried a good skins included country style version. That solves the bland texture issue.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Concur with those noting the broad variability of the quality of Au Gratin and Scalloped dishes. Even at high end steakhouses, I've found a ton of "interpretations" that simply aren't that great. Surprisingly, the out of the box kind with the powdered cheese are actually pretty decent. Certainly the cheese has that processed artificial flavor which some people hate, I get that, but they have the benefit of being dehydrated and always having a really uniform slice which leads to a really nice uniform texture and coherence of the potato matrix once cooked. Too many fresh made versions are basically boiled potato chunks of varying size swimming in bland cream with or without cheese. Those are a waste of time.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:01 PM

Why should I tell you you're wrong about mashed potatoes? You simply don't like them. That's your opinion. I like them. That's my opinion. A person's like or dislike of mashed potatoes is not an indication of his or her character.

Last FM Library Thing
Old 06-12-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
Christmas dinner is a stressful affair because my mom always insists on making mashed potatoes. Doesn't matter that there will be mac and cheese, dressing, corn soufle, and dinner rolls on the table for folks to carb up on. She believes that we can't celebrate Christmas without mashed potatoes. So she puts me to work peeling potatoes when I'd love nothing more than to help her with something else.

I wouldn't mind this if people actually ate the mashed potatoes. But they always go untouched and then tossed into the garbage. I think if they were the only starch served, then we would eat them. But who is going to put mashed potatoes on their plate when they can have baked mac and cheese? There ain't enough gravy in the world to put mashed potatoes on the same level as baked mac and cheese.
I hate mac and cheese. I think it's partly an association with my Catholic girlhood where I was poor and our meatless Friday dish was typically mac and cheese. I'd never choose it over buttery mashed potatoes.

Re: the OP. Texas Toast is something I consider unnecessary. Too much starch for the surface flavors to balance out.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:01 PM

Missed my edit window: Chez Jay in Santa Monica puts banana in their mashed potatoes.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:32 PM

“Tell me why I'm wrong about mashed potatoes.”

Because not only are you a twit, you’re an alpha twit.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
This is the solution the OP is looking for. Sometimes they're called "rustic style". (Or maybe that's just what I call them.) Sometimes I'll even leave some or all of the peel on the potatoes, scored before cooking so that they end up as little bits of peel and not a huge lump. They say most of the vitamins and minerals are in the skin, so why not keep it in for that reason as well as texture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
As for the OP: don't give up on the genre of mashed taters until you've tried a good skins included country style version. That solves the bland texture issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampspruce View Post
OP: It's not about the mash itself but more about what it's with. Make'em rustic, leave the skins on and you'll get a mix of flavours and textures.
I'm surprised at the number of people who assumed I never tried this. That's an obvious evolution for those seeking more a interesting texture. When I'm cooking for others and make mashed, I always leave the peels on before mashing with a manual masher. Sometimes I add chives but I actually prefer to scoop the mashed into their serving piece then top with crispy fried onions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrps View Post
Re: the OP. Texas Toast is something I consider unnecessary. Too much starch for the surface flavors to balance out.
Hey, if you don't wan't it, I'll snarf it.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDP View Post
A person's like or dislike of mashed potatoes is not an indication of his or her character.
Are you serious? Of course it is!
Old 06-12-2019, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
Mashed potatoes are like scarecrows; they're outstanding in their field

But seriously, mp are a separate entity and are just right for certain things and not allowed for others. Nobody wants a mountain of potato fluff whilst they're eating a cheeseburger. Conversely, it is verboten to have french fries with roasted turkey.

Regarding baked potatoes, Gus Gusterson's comment had me wondering if I'm eating them incorrectly. I cut them open and plop some butter and salt and then use my forth to smoosh it all together, hence making what is essentially mashed potatoes in the skin bowl.

And yes, potatoes au gratin can indeed fuck off.
I used to feel that way about scalloped potatoes, such that toasting some grated cheese on top was the only way that I didn't think they were too dry. I've since modified my views (but I still enjoy potatoes au gratin).

In hindsight, considering how many foods I like much better now that I'm the one cooking them, I think that, while she did some things perfectly, my sainted mother was only okay at general cooking.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
To the OP, I do not need to prove you wrong here any more than I would need to prove to you that the sky is blue. These things simply are. Your bizarre proclamation puts you in league with Flat Earthers and Scientologists.

Bad mashed potatoes exist, but like bad pizza, they are almost invariably salvageable through liberal application of butter, salt, gravy and heat. Great mashed potatoes are the highest form of the potato arts.

If a potato preparation exists that needs serious discussion it's cold potato salad, especially of the German variety. I submit that the further a potato preparation moves away from mashed potatoes, the worse it gets. Mashed is simply the apex.
Cold German potato salad is a thing?

Huh.

ETA Dang. Ninja'd by terentii. Well, If I had to choose someone to be ninja'd by, he's the one.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 06-12-2019 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Second, make Pommes Aligot. You're welcome.
Thanks for that. I've never heard of that before, so I'm going to make them. If my kids don't like it, I'm blaming you.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
My fave mashed potato recipe contains riced potatoes, a ton of butter, cream, goat cheese, lemon zest, and rosemary. Plus kosher salt. Food coma!

ricing them before mashing them is key for creamy mashed potatoes
Glad you brought that up, Doc; it's a topic that I've been contemplating for a few weeks since I've been reintroducing homemade mashed potatoes to the family dinner table. Back when I was a tyke, there was a commercial for Betty Crocker Mashed Potato BudsTM on the teevee set. I still recall the opening narration:

"The good cook mashes and mashes her potatoes. The Great cook rices her potatoes. The SMART cook uses Betty Crocker Mashed Potato Buds!TM"

I guess Mashed Potato BudsTM were supposed to reproduce the texture of riced mashed potatoes better than potato flakes.

Knowing that the SDMB conventional wisdom is to eschew single-use kitchen utensils (and having severely limited utensil storage space chez -99), I have to ask if there is another device that I could use to rice potatoes before I mash them. I have already tried grating the potatoes in the Cuisinart both before and after cooking (it didn't work at ALL). The closest I have been able to come is to mash them into a hot damp powder BEFORE adding the fat and dairy and proceeding with the official mashing process.

Got any suggestions?
Old 06-12-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Knowing that the SDMB conventional wisdom is to eschew single-use kitchen utensils (and having severely limited utensil storage space chez -99), I have to ask if there is another device that I could use to rice potatoes before I mash them.
Well, I guess if you have enough time and patience a garlic press may do the job.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Dang. Ninja'd by terentii. Well, If I had to choose someone to be ninja'd by, he's the one.
To borrow a line from Johnny Carson, I'm flattered to death!

Seriously, though: I do know that some chefs use a spatula or large spoon to force mash through a sieve/strainer in order to get all the lumps out, so that's definitely an alternative to using a ricer.

Last edited by terentii; 06-12-2019 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Thanks for that. I've never heard of that before, so I'm going to make them. If my kids don't like it, I'm blaming you.
That's fine, I have shoulders like a brook trout; everything just slides right off. FWIW, do I get the credit when they're fighting to lick the bowl clean?
Old 06-13-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Glad you brought that up, Doc; it's a topic that I've been contemplating for a few weeks since I've been reintroducing homemade mashed potatoes to the family dinner table. Back when I was a tyke, there was a commercial for Betty Crocker Mashed Potato BudsTM on the teevee set. I still recall the opening narration:

"The good cook mashes and mashes her potatoes. The Great cook rices her potatoes. The SMART cook uses Betty Crocker Mashed Potato Buds!TM"

I guess Mashed Potato BudsTM were supposed to reproduce the texture of riced mashed potatoes better than potato flakes.

Knowing that the SDMB conventional wisdom is to eschew single-use kitchen utensils (and having severely limited utensil storage space chez -99), I have to ask if there is another device that I could use to rice potatoes before I mash them. I have already tried grating the potatoes in the Cuisinart both before and after cooking (it didn't work at ALL). The closest I have been able to come is to mash them into a hot damp powder BEFORE adding the fat and dairy and proceeding with the official mashing process.

Got any suggestions?
Buy the ricer and then use it to also make homemade spatzle as well. Dual use that way.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
This statement is very spot on.

That's how I do them about half the time. The other half, I'll peel and mash, the only addition being some salt and a bit of butter. No cream, no cheese, unless I'm trying to fancy it up. Mashed with a hand masher (though I do have a ricer.) These potatoes are firm but still fluffy and have plenty of texture. I don't understand the need to cheese-up potatoes. If I'm feeling fancy, what I may do is add a dollop of sour cream and some horseradish, but I don't like potatoes that have a pureed texture, so I almost never add any dairy like heavy cream or milk. The potatoes really don't need it. I kind of want them to be a neutral starch, and any additional flavoring comes from the meat and/or gravy I serve them with.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
You can't mix your peas with home fries to make the peas easier to eat.
I eat my peas with honey
I've done it all my life
It makes the peas taste funny
But it keeps them on my knife!
Old 06-13-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I'm surprised at the number of people who assumed I never tried this. That's an obvious evolution for those seeking more a interesting texture. When I'm cooking for others and make mashed, I always leave the peels on before mashing with a manual masher. Sometimes I add chives but I actually prefer to scoop the mashed into their serving piece then top with crispy fried onions.

Hey, if you don't wan't it, I'll snarf it.

Well, if you're making your mashed potatoes and leaving them lumpy, and you still don't like them...

It's just something you don't like.

Why, in the name of all that's holey*, are we required to like and dislike the same things? I heard a rant on a university radio station about how lemon was the "worst" flavor. Hey, I'm not a huge lemon fan, but neither you, I, or Alpha Twit are the be-all and end-all of what tastes good and what doesn't.

It's not even an opinion. It's what you like or don't like. It may be because you don't like the texture, or it may have a flavor you don't like, or it may be because your mother fed it to you every Friday during lent. But we shouldn't have to defend our tastes, and if you feel like you need everyone else to agree with your tastes, you need therapy, not argument.

*typo, but I liked it so I left it in.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
That's fine, I have shoulders like a brook trout; everything just slides right off. FWIW, do I get the credit when they're fighting to lick the bowl clean?
Sorry, but I will have to give credit to "Awesome ideas Dad has, 'cause he's an awesome dad!"

Old 06-13-2019, 02:01 PM

I just got reminded of twice baked potatoes.

A very odd side dish. You scoop out the middle of a baked potato, mash with sour cream, add onion, salt, pepper and put back in the shell. Bake a few minutes to Melt cheddar over it.

Never quite understood the point of this dish. It's ok but seems like a lot of trouble.

Last edited by aceplace57; 06-13-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:14 PM

Creamy smooth innards with cheesy goodness and crispy baked potato skins; what's not to love?
Old 06-13-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTech View Post
Mashed potatoes can be your friends...
I understood that reference.

Anyway, kids love mashed potatoes, and older people with bad/missing teeth might find them easier to consume than other potato forms.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Around here, restaurants served mashed potatoes with the peel on, calling them "smashed potatoes."
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Around here, restaurants served mashed potatoes with the peel on, calling them "smashed potatoes."
Yes, it's the new fancy-schmancy way TV chefs are glamorising basic good food. It's fun - next time you do roast spuds with a cut of meat (whatever is your choice), just give the spuds a gently squish with the potato masher when they come out of the oven - flatten them a bit and split them open. You get mashed potatoes with roast potato skin.

And as everyone knows, there are 5 fundamental forces of nature - the strongest being the force that attracts gravy to mashed/smashed potatoes.

We need a thread on gravy and gravies - my specialty being the Brown Onion (family secret, but I could be persuaded to share it with like-minded addicts).
Old 06-13-2019, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby View Post
We need a thread on gravy and gravies - my specialty being the Brown Onion (family secret, but I could be persuaded to share it with like-minded addicts).
How far back, do you want to go?
Old 06-13-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyada View Post
Why, in the name of all that's holey*, are we required to like and dislike the same things?
Because it is the internet. Rule #1 is that if you like the same things I do you are a great person... if you don't you suck.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:35 AM

I think a potato in any form is wonderful! But, if you truly want a great mashed potato do it with a mixer to make sure they are mashed without lumps. I always use heavy whipping cream as well as real butter (my dear husband was from Wisconsin and wouldn't have it any other way!) until they are JUST right. Then, in true decadent style, you must melt yet more butter on top. But to each his own.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:09 PM

You've obviously never had pierogis.

Make them with cheese, butter, even onions....*droooling*. Then they're not so bland.

(My cat adores mashed potatos)