Old 07-15-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
Your opinions are noted. They are rejected as being out of touch with reality.
Only by a vocal minority apparently not qualified to reject them. Others in this thread have agreed that Brazil played better than Belgium and Croatia better than France. Pretty much every thing I’ve said in this thread was either stated later by the experts on Fox. You know, people who actually played the game. Lalas agreed with me on the Kane penalty and on Brazil. Guus Hiddink in Croatia. The world’s betting markets did as well. So the smiley is facing the wrong direction.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
It was decidedly deliberate handling. He moves his arm down to contact the ball,
I dunno. I think his arm came down because that's where something moves after it goes up. Not deliberately hitting the ball.

Quote:
It wasn't a natural position for his arm to be in, given his attempt to jump up.
Your opinion. Seems a very natural position to me given his jump.

Which is why I hate the wording of the handball (sorry! handling!) rule. Soo damn subjective.

Last edited by Snarky_Kong; 07-15-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Penalties require skill from both taker and GK and composure. When weighed against the health risks of the only better way to decide knockout matches, its a great compromise. In 1994 two of the greatest players to play their positions not only missed their PKs but put them over the bar.

https://youtu.be/jsOleoyrbFE

PKs require footballing skill.
No one said otherwise. It may be a footballing skill, but it's not the same as play on the field. Still a crappy way to decide who advances. Not sure what your point is about great players missing PKs.
Old Yesterday, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yookeroo View Post
No one said otherwise. It may be a footballing skill, but it's not the same as play on the field. Still a crappy way to decide who advances. Not sure what your point is about great players missing PKs.
Point being that after 120 minutes the body is breaking down and even one of the worlds best strikers can't put the ball on goal. As mentioned above penalties use footballing skills to decide the match. Its also really exciting. How is it crappy when the alternative puts players health at risk?