Old 09-24-2018, 06:11 PM

Glass doesnít fail by suddenly turning opaque.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:33 PM

Well, you wouldn't need to get rid of the glass, but cameras and other sensors could be used to create an augmented reality, perhaps with a heads up display, to assist in seeing the road when windshield conditions are less than ideal. It may be pricey, but not too farfetched. Our Subaru already has two forward facing cameras, so part of the hardware is there.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter_Man View Post
O.K., now here's something from left-field:

Why even have a windshield?
Jeep Wrangler. Decades ahead of its time.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
Guess what kind of windshield you can get on the Transit Connect
Which was developed and manufactured in Europe for the European market and wasn't imported into the U.S. until five years later.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california jobcase View Post
One thing I will lament is the loss of refillable wiper blades. Now we have to buy the whole blade and not just the rubber wipey part. When I had cars with rear wipers, I did figure out how to disassemble the wiper and refill it with a piece of the rubber from the old front wipers. It worked great and I got three refills out of one old insert. It does seem that there are probably better polymers out there to make the blades out of so they would last longer.
I noticed those are gone too. I wonder why they aren't made now. You used to be able to just buy the rubber wiper part and switch that out, now everywhere only sells the entire wiper apparatus including the metal handle.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Good responses. Thanks.

Why even have a windshield? Why can't we mount a couple cameras on the car and look at a screen? Or VR googles? Cameras won't require wipers. (Or if they do, they could be edited out using a digital filter). And without all that glass I would think the car would be safer. Nutty?
Probably because the technology of ever present cameras is new. Plus a small screen doesn't provide the clarity of a window.

Fwiw, many newer cars do have back up cameras which are nice, I think they just became mandatory on new cars. But those are for seeing in areas you can't see even with a window.

Several car models have 360 degree cameras.

But what's the appeal of taking out the windshield and replacing it with a windshield sized display? Unless you have a display that can digitally remove environmental hazards like fog, rain, snow, etc. Or one that has excellent night vision.

I could see a display that shows what you'd see out the windshield but removes the effects of snow, rain and fog. That is more of an additional display than a replacement for the windshield. But I guess one that totally eliminated a windshield just isn't here.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 09-24-2018 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:43 PM

Part of the reason why there are no advancements is the removal of dirt/water from a surface (windshield) is a fluid mechanics boundary layer problem.

If you apply soap to your hands and donít rub the hands, they wonít get as clean.

You can wash a wine glass many times with detergent/water but a single good scrub will clean it.

A ceiling fan will collect dust on its blades even though there is high air flow around the blades.

Fluids behave very differently in the thin film on any surface than in the bulk. I doubt there will be anything as effective as the wiper blade simply because it breaks the boundary layer.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:50 AM

new things have been tried....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clear_view_screen

https://gizmodo.com/mclaren-is-using...ree-1484213049
Old 09-25-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Cameras won't require wipers. (Or if they do, they could be edited out using a digital filter)
Why do you think the cameras won't require wipers? Sure, you could have a recessed mount and avoid a lot of the direct rain, but that truck splashing a puddle onto your car is going get the lens or lens cover wet.

And people generally don't have a problem with the visual presence of wipers.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
I noticed those are gone too. I wonder why they aren't made now. You used to be able to just buy the rubber wiper part and switch that out, now everywhere only sells the entire wiper apparatus including the metal handle.
I think my dealer still sells the rubber inserts, but they charge a lot for them. You can also get them on the Internet (but Costco is currently selling aftermarket replacement blades for $9 each, cheaper than many rubber refills). It's the aftermarket auto parts stores that don't sell refills anymore. The only type I see in Advance Auto, for example, are one-size-fits-all where you have to cut it to size. Those suck.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:41 AM

one of the other differences is that a lot of cars now come from the factory with flat blade wipers; there's no insert which can be refilled.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:57 AM

Larger boats will use a small window spinning at high speed that sheds the water so you can see out.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
Larger boats will use a small window spinning at high speed that sheds the water so you can see out.
Actually mentioned in the Arthur C Clarke book mentioned above.
Could you even make one and meet windsheild saftey standards?

Brian
Old 09-25-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9IWP View Post

Brian
This would of course be impractical for a number of other reasons besides safety standards. Just thought I would through it out there.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
This would of course be impractical for a number of other reasons besides safety standards. Just thought I would through it out there.
See the first link I posted earlier. It was tried in cars, but I can't imagine that a large central vision-blockage (motor and bearings) was very useful.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I change my wipers when they seem to be losing their effectiveness. For me, thatís about once a year. I canít imagine going 4-5 years on the same wipers.
I do not change my nearly often enough and I've suddenly become aware of how poor the quality is where I start to see long curved streaks. I should really change them every Autumn when I change the smoke detector batteries!

I've never felt the need for a higher Tech solution to this problem. Virtually all windshields are slightly different sizes and different curve and a self-adjusting design with the windshield wiper clip and Armature is kind of the perfect solution.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9IWP View Post

Brian
The cruise ship I was on in July had big wipers on the glass at the front of the bridge.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

If you ever watch Deadliest Catch you'll see lots of shots of those clear view spinners in action.

I'd think that on a cruise ship they wouldn't be needed because they are so high above any wave action. Wipers are probably plenty good against rain.

Last edited by GaryM; 09-26-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:37 AM

Here's a design nitpick- many cars today have different lengths for the two blades. That I don't mind, but why does the short right wiper have to come so far left into the long wiper's territory? It stops right in the middle of the driver's field of view and sometimes leaves a line there between the longer wiper's swipes. Why don't they just stop in the middle of the windshield behind the rear view mirror?
Old 09-26-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Good responses. Thanks.

Why even have a windshield? Why can't we mount a couple cameras on the car and look at a screen? Or VR googles? Cameras won't require wipers. (Or if they do, they could be edited out using a digital filter). And without all that glass I would think the car would be safer. Nutty?
Maybe it's on its way. Lexus is developing a car with no side view mirrors.

As for McLaren, the Senna seems to still have a wiper.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:05 PM

Sadly my invention that blasted away the raindrops using squid tentacles stimulated via electric current never took off. That damn ink sac!
Old 09-26-2018, 05:41 PM

I have a real problem with Rain-X in winter. under the right conditions road salt can splash up and impregnate it making the window extra hard to see through when the sun is facing you. It does OK otherwise but the wipers work fine so I don't see the need.

Small airplanes don't have wipers so I like to use a good wax on the windscreen.
Old 09-27-2018, 04:43 AM
Charter Member

In my misspent youth, I drove a vessel that used spinning discs for wipers. These are the only thing that works in the types of storms you encounter in the North Sea, etc. (Force 10, 40 foot waves and spray)

Here's an example of one. They really work that well. Even when the rest of the glass is effectively opaque, you have a clear view outside.

As mentioned above, I can't see how to transfer this to cars. The visible area would be too small.

Last edited by pullin; 09-27-2018 at 04:46 AM.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:53 PM

Make the entire front windshield a spin window by spinning the entire passenger compartment.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:05 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I change my wipers when they seem to be losing their effectiveness. For me, thatís about once a year. I canít imagine going 4-5 years on the same wipers.
Mine don't seem to last a year - and I've bought expensive ones and WalMart cheapies. My car is garage-kept, but at work it sits in the open and the dash is dark, so maybe the rubber is being baked? Or maybe my windshield is crap. Either way, I change them was more often than I ever had to on previous cars.