Old 09-22-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkeller View Post
Leaffan:

Perhaps it's mainly the Americans you observe on this message board. Most Americans do not make a point of discussing politics constantly, but this message board definitely attracts folks who like to get into political discussions, as well as those who find it impossible to swallow their political feelings for the sake of a peaceful gathering.

And it's definitely not uniquely American. Israelis, in my experience, seem to constantly engage in political talk.
And when you have a traitorous criminal moron for a president, that tends to up the water cooler talk.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:14 PM

If politics comes up, steer the conversation to the Texas senate race. EVERYBODY hates Ted Cruz.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:18 PM
Experimental FOC Test Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
Oh, I'd say I'm middlin. I'm a programmer so tracing a bug is often the most frustrating thing that most people encounter. I do well to walk away from it and often find solutions when away from my desk.

But, If I am cornered, and they insist on my opinion, well... That's where I want a simple easy answer to perhaps bow out of a debate. And my thought is to simple say "do you think that trump is a good representative of the US" It they do, fine, I have nothing else to say.

Folks, I'm not that worried about it. I handle such situations with aplomb.

Anyway, rubber hits road tomorrow. My wife just bought a 2019 Subaru Ascent. Gonna be a good road car I think.
Drive safe, have a good trip, and let us know how it went.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:23 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
Well wait a second partner...

Maybe they are not so bad?

Consider - you need help moving. Your conservative brother in law has a big pickup truck and is always willing to lend a hand.

Your liberal friends and relatives all drive Prius's and always seem to be griping about the world.

Who would you call if you needed help?
What if he doesn't live in a world of right-wing stereotypes?
Old 09-23-2018, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Well wait a second partner...

Maybe they are not so bad?

Consider - you need help moving. Your conservative brother in law has a big pickup truck and is always willing to lend a hand.

Your liberal friends and relatives all drive Prius's and always seem to be griping about the world.

Who would you call if you needed help?
The anarchist pothead farmer/factory shift leader who enjoys bragging that he's got the biggest Mercedes in the factory, of course.*

* It's a Vito. Claims I was the first person to guess it right.

Last edited by Nava; 09-23-2018 at 03:24 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
And when you have a traitorous criminal moron for a president...
Gosh, I just can't imagine why you get into arguments about Trump.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 09-23-2018, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Gosh, I just can't imagine why you get into arguments about Trump.

Regards,
Shodan
Truth hurts
Old 09-23-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
I see confusion like this from an unfamiliar Doper, and my reflex is to click Advanced Search. Here's the first hit:

I guessed right! What do I win?
The 12th annual Ad Hominem Attack Award. Brought to you by the makers of frosted flakes.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nylock View Post
The 12th annual Ad Hominem Attack Award. Brought to you by the makers of frosted flakes.
I simply quoted his own words and that is an ad hominem attack on him? Is yours just a parody of Republican "thought"?
Old 09-23-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking another response could be "Do you feel that trump is a good representative of the values of America?" If the answer "yes". I'm just going to have to stop the conversation right there with "we disagree".
To me, this sounds a little confrontational. Politics can be like religion. If someone has a particular belief, it will not be productive to try to change their viewpoint. Even challenging it in any way will likely lead to arguments.

If you're just trying to get through the weekend without drama, it would probably be better to say something more benign. For example, say "Everything so crazy. I'm taking a break from politics and haven't really kept up." But I'm guessing that no one will actually ask for your opinion.

I think that the size of the gathering will work in your favor. I'm guessing the die-hard supporters will generally hang out together, so you can just avoid that group. And with so many people, no one is going to notice if you're around much. They'll just assume you're off with some other people.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

When it comes to Trump, I follow the advice "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." "How about this weather?"
Old 09-23-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
I simply quoted his own words and that is an ad hominem attack on him? Is yours just a parody of Republican "thought"?
It’s not a parody; that appears to be the way many of them think, especially in regard to using Trump’s own lies and evasions including denying having made statements on tape that he has previously acknowledged saying to question his integrity.

Stranger
Old 09-23-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Knig View Post

But since your relatives like to play chess, you could respond to any Trump related comments with “pawn to king 4”, and take the game from there. Becuase for some games the only way to win is to not play.
That's an interesting idea. I may have try that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmore View Post
To me, this sounds a little confrontational. Politics can be like religion. If someone has a particular belief, it will not be productive to try to change their viewpoint. Even challenging it in any way will likely lead to arguments.
It sounds as though at this point, an argument is heading their way, and he is heading it off. There are many discussions to be had about many things, but if there is a disagreement about such a fundamental issue, then there is no common ground that can be found.
Quote:
If you're just trying to get through the weekend without drama, it would probably be better to say something more benign. For example, say "Everything so crazy. I'm taking a break from politics and haven't really kept up." But I'm guessing that no one will actually ask for your opinion.
It's quite likely that one will ask for his opinion. That's often times what happens in family gatherings when there is a black sheep of the family, I assume of whatever stripe. The family doesn't like it when there is one amongst them that is different, and so will pick on and bully until they are in line.

This is why I have seen my parents maybe 5 times since the election, even though they live less than 6 miles away. They cannot help themselves but to make snippy comments to try to bait me into responding.

It gets old quickly.

As far as the "don't talk about politics" that only works if they don't want to. I get away with that with clients from time to time, who come in and make some aggressive remark about some politician or issue. I say "I am so busy here, I don't have any time to pay attention to what is coming out of Washington. " That closes the discussion with no hard feelings, but unlike my clients, my family knows better. I tried that once on the fam, and they felt that that was their chance to "inform" me on what is coming out of Washington.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:55 PM

Bone up on Bible verses, Biblegateway.com.

"Suffer the little children ..."
"Whatsoever you do to the least ..."
My current favorite - "Render unto Caesar ..."

But find some more obscure ones, all New Testament.

If they come back with something that seems to support horrible behavior, just ask if it's Leviticus.
Just shrug if it's the Old Testament.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:56 AM

So lets turn this around.

Lets say Hillary was now President.

Would you now be enjoying defending everything she has done?

Oh, I'm sure everything would be all peachy with no problems because we know everything democrats do is perfect.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:07 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:

Oh, I'm sure everything would be all peachy with no problems because we know everything democrats do is perfect.
That's interesting. Maybe you should start a thread about your fantasy situation involving hypothetical stereotypes defending hypothetical "misdeeds" involving caricatures of politicians?
Old 09-24-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
We can just look back to Obama's term to see what would happen. Instead of the conservatives saying how great everything was, at family gatherings they were saying how terrible it was. It was more around discussions of how Obama wasn't an American, death panels, ACA sucks, Sarah Palin is awesome, etc.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:15 AM

Just answer like I do:

"Well, I know one thing. The President is not going to be able to help me with my most pressing need at the moment - getting another Bud Lite. Excuse me."

And then go off into the kitchen for a while.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
It sounds as though at this point, an argument is heading their way, and he is heading it off. There are many discussions to be had about many things, but if there is a disagreement about such a fundamental issue, then there is no common ground that can be found.
This is a big part of the problem. Trump’s behavior is so extreme that he is simply beyond the pale of normal human decency. And in supporting him, his supporters often reveal that they no longer adhere to their own professed standards or morality. I simply cannot comprehend the worldview of someone who thinks casual racism, treason, and pussy grabbing are acceptable under any circumstances. Nor do I wish to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender
It's quite likely that one will ask for his opinion. That's often times what happens in family gatherings when there is a black sheep of the family, I assume of whatever stripe. The family doesn't like it when there is one amongst them that is different, and so will pick on and bully until they are in line.
And there it is. Trump is a bully, and so are they. That is the problem. These people support Trump BECAUSE he is a bully, NOT in spite of it.

My wife’s relatives behaved the same way. They would bring up Trump at every possible opportunity. They were not interested in her opinion, and they didn’t want to discuss ideas or help anyone understand anything. They were taunting her, maliciously, and doing it precisely BECAUSE they wanted to provoke her to anger.

And whenever she pointed out how hideous their ideas were, they backed it up with a passive aggressive cop-out: “Oh no, that’s just something I heard Trump say. I’m not the one who thinks these things.” They didn’t even have the intestinal fortitude to claim ownership of their own ideas.

So the question has nothing to do without Trump or politics at all. Trump is just the tool they use to aggravate and provoke the people around them. If there was no Trump, and no Republican Party, they would just use her hair, or her weight, or her alcoholic mother, or any other subject to insult and belittle her.

The discussion has nothing to do with Trump, and everything to do with power.

But here’s the thing: There’s only one way to have a relationship with these people, and that is to enforce your boundaries. If they don’t respect your boundaries, that means they don’t respect you as a person. You say up front, “I’m not discussing Trump,” and the second the word “Trump” leaves their mouth you hang up. Or you pack up the kids and leave the party. Whatever it takes.

Either they will eat the message and respect you, or they won’t. If they won’t, then you have no reason to want a relationship with these people.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:26 AM

I would do everything in my power to avoid going to that party and if I did have to go, I would stay in a hotel so that I could control how much time I have to spend with them I would also arm myself with arguments and facts to be ready for the inevitable arguments. The one thing that shuts down right wing snark is push back and facts.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
That's interesting. Maybe you should start a thread about your fantasy situation involving hypothetical stereotypes defending hypothetical "misdeeds" involving caricatures of politicians?
There is nothing hypothetical about it.

We just went through eight years of listening to people spread lies and hate about Obama. At every chance, my father-in-law would call my wife to tell her about how Obama was a Kenyan Muslim atheist gun-grabber, or whatever lie was circulating about Hillary at the time. And every time she pointed out that it was false, or misinformed, or just told him to shut the fuck up, he would reply with, “Oh, I don’t think that. This is just something I heard from Rush (Or OReilly, or Carlson, or whoever)
Old 09-24-2018, 10:58 AM

@ OP — If all else fails, the following quote might put a damper on excessive fawning over Trump:
We have a saying down in Colorado that applies: Trump is all fart and no turd.

Good luck.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:04 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB99 View Post
There is nothing hypothetical about it.
His scenario involving a Hillary Clinton presidency and people defending her many misdeeds was indeed a fanciful hypothetical.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
His scenario involving a Hillary Clinton presidency and people defending her many misdeeds was indeed a fanciful hypothetical.
Really? Because I don’t see much difference.

Last edited by JB99; 09-24-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
And when you have a traitorous criminal moron for a president, that tends to up the water cooler talk.
I'd look at this for option #2 if the relatives get too annoying. Don't engage in debate, just insult the hell out of Trump. You wouldn't trust him to feed your goldfish. He's dumb enough to believe his own PR. He makes Gerald Ford look like Einstein.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I'm thinking another response could be "Do you feel that trump is a good representative of the values of America?" If the answer "yes". I'm just going to have to stop the conversation right there with "we disagree".
I absolutely despise Trump, and would want to do nothing with his supporters, but it seems that you want to get in one dig at them and then have them shut up.

If that's the case, just go all out. "You like that slimy turd? Then you are most likely a racist asshole and I'm afraid we will have nothing to say to each other."
Old 09-24-2018, 12:03 PM

With all the crap going on in the news right now, I'd probably spend a lot of time on walks by myself. I'm envisioning the discussions around what constitutes real rape and real sexual assault versus horseplay. And how someone who really was attacked would report it versus someone who is lying to smear a good man's reputation. There are some topics which would be hard to stay quiet about. And it would be hard to not think extremely poorly about people professing those views. I'm really glad we had our family gathering back in the summer when it was just the normal, slimy corruption being exposed. There are some topics I'm really glad not to know my family's opinion on.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:41 PM

I have a family wedding coming up in a couple of weeks and there is a chance a couple of Trump supporters will be there. My policy is I'm fine not talking about politics, but I will not listen to their nonsense without answering it. I usually give one warning along the lines of "I really disagree with you, but if you'd rather talk about baseball or fishing that's fine with me." If they persist, I engage.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:53 PM

One thing that could work is wait until the discussion starts about politics and have an outburst like "GOD DAMN! Are we going to talk politics for the whole god damn week! Can't we have a break from the shit show in Washington and just try to enjoy ourselves for once!" Of course, that moment will be quite awkward, but I'd guess it would put the damper on politics discussions during the trip. The good thing is that you wouldn't be criticizing anyone's political views. You're just saying that politics is a shit show, which everyone will agree about. And it would also mean people would be less likely to talk politics around you in the future.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:39 PM

Would you rather be with a bunch of liberal douchebag relatives who constantly try to "I hate Trump more than you" each other?

Or lets say your rich and the others arent. Would you want to listen to them slam you for being successful and making money?

How about if some of them are big into veganism and slam meat eaters. They exist you know - the people who refuse to enter a room where any meat products are. Are those people any better?

Heck it could also be a gathering where its not politics - its some other topic a couple of people want to talk about? I once was at a party and these 2 guys in the middle of the room were having this big discussion on - comic books! Now if 2 guys were off in a corner talking that would be one thing but these guys were in the middle of the room talking loudly and you could not avoid them.

I was once stuck at a friends birthday party dinner sitting beside 2 ladies who would only talk about their cats.

My point is its not unusual to be somewhere where you hate the topic of discussion.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Would you rather be with a bunch of liberal douchebag relatives who constantly try to "I hate Trump more than you" each other?.
Yes

Quote:
Or lets say your rich and the others arent. Would you want to listen to them slam you for being successful and making money?.
Yes

Quote:
How about if some of them are big into veganism and slam meat eaters. They exist you know - the people who refuse to enter a room where any meat products are. Are those people any better?.
Yes
Old 09-24-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:

My point is its not unusual to be somewhere where you hate the topic of discussion.
You’re missing the point. See post 69 above for a good summary.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Someone is wrong on the Internet at a family gathering.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 09-24-2018, 04:07 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Quote:

I wouldn't defend Hillary if she acted like Trump. That is a major difference between us. You act like those of us on the left act like many on the right do, just defend our side right or wrong. A lot of us won't do that.

We asked weiner, Franken, etc to step down. We don't claim they are victims of a conspiracy or yell fake news. We enforce some decency.

And yes, if Bill and Hillary are involved in any sex crime cover ups (Juanita Broderick, etc) then by all means investigate.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Would you rather be with a bunch of liberal douchebag relatives who constantly try to "I hate Trump more than you" each other?

Or lets say your rich and the others arent. Would you want to listen to them slam you for being successful and making money?

How about if some of them are big into veganism and slam meat eaters. They exist you know - the people who refuse to enter a room where any meat products are. Are those people any better?.
Yes. They are not supporting racism or sexual assault. Or fraud. Or theft. Tax evasion, betraying one's country, ...

So, yes. After two years, do you still not get that this is not a matter of whose 'side' won, or even the best polices to achieve social good, but a fundamental difference in values?

Trumps does not say what everyone really thinks; he says things that horrify and disgust many people. He's not a good person.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:08 PM

Yeah, when we’re talking about interacting with Trump supporters, we’re not talking about interacting with boorish people, we’re talking about interacting with bad people.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataraxy22 View Post
I'd skip the event. People who still support Trump should be forgotten.
Do you really intend to forget about 40% of americans?

I'm not saying i support the orange man, but he *is* the elected leader of the country, and he *does* have a support base of something over 100 million americans.

Ignoring this fact is how he got elected in the first place!
Old 09-25-2018, 04:01 AM

My tactic is to sing "God Bless America" and gesture for everyone to join me. With a good stock of patriotic songs, you can get through most of the reunion, and you make the point that progressives are patriots. Maybe skip the National Anthem if you're trying to avoid conflict, though.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB99 View Post
And every time she pointed out that it was false, or misinformed, or just told him to shut the fuck up, he would reply with, “Oh, I don’t think that. This is just something I heard from Rush (Or OReilly, or Carlson, or whoever)
Speaking of Rush, he is the one who is the most responsible (in my opinion) for why I absolutely loathe political talk radio, especially as it's aired on 106.3 WORD in my area; that is the worst station I have ever listened to lately!

It isn't just Rush who has driven me crazy (I haven't listened to him in quite a while, though); it was 106.3's morning people as well, especially the late Russ Cassell. Not to speak ill of the dead, but to me, he seemed to be so dadgum far to the right it wasn't even funny! AAMOF, both seemed to express their opinions in my face in a sort of preaching, combative tone, meaning that if I did not agree with and hang on every word they said, I was to be considered worse than unAmerican (and this is the very same thing, IINM, that they accuse liberals of doing).

Fortunately, I have a cellphone now, and I can bring up AM stations from elsewhere that are actual news reporting (like WCBS of NYC, KYW of Philly, et al.), and even some sports stations as well (all in crystal-clear quality through the Radio.com app). Also, WCBS is one of the stations I recall listening to with my father late at night while I was out on the road trucking with him for Wal-Mart.

Long story short, like I said, while I am fortunate enough not to have had to listen to him lately, Rush has done the most damage in polarizing me against political talk radio, and why I still believe that sports radio, or even actual news radio (meaning actual reporting, like WCBS and KYW, not talk stations that claim the name of NewsRadio, like 106.3 WORD did for a while), are my favorite kinds of stations now.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
This.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
Trump is not worth ruining a family gathering. No politician is.
Please keep in mind this is a very privileged position to be in. If you're largely cis, straight, or racially homogeneous it's very easy to take a "live and let live" position to politics, where you have the luxury of remaining a little detached. Even if the economy is going, you're largely in a position where nobody is actively really coming after you, specifically. It's easy to view it as a game and thus, if the game is causes hard feelings at a gathering, why play it?

If you're gay, if you're trans, if you're bringing your spouse of a different race to the gathering, if you're married to an immigrant, if you've suffered at the failings of the legal system, whatever. There are a lot of areas where politics is very real, tangible, and in your face, and support for a certain politician and their policies is very much an attack on your livelihood in a direct way. Even if your family doesn't intend it as such, backing a politician who hates, say, gay rights, is at best an admission they care more about their tax policies (or whatever) than you and your rights.

Now, I'm not saying the OP is in this position, in fact, most of this thread reads like people who do have the luxury of playing this like a game. Most of the posters are coming from a place of moral virtue rather than personal stakes, and honestly most of them could probably bite their tongues and have a fine if somewhat grating time. But "politics" isn't just some fake thing you can throw away for the sake of getting along when it affects you in a very direct, tangible way the way it does social minorities.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinKitFox View Post
Do you really intend to forget about 40% of americans?

I'm not saying i support the orange man, but he *is* the elected leader of the country, and he *does* have a support base of something over 100 million americans.

Ignoring this fact is how he got elected in the first place!
Then 40% of America is fucking evil.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
I wouldn't defend Hillary if she acted like Trump. That is a major difference between us. You act like those of us on the left act like many on the right do, just defend our side right or wrong. A lot of us won't do that.

We asked weiner, Franken, etc to step down. We don't claim they are victims of a conspiracy or yell fake news. We enforce some decency.

And yes, if Bill and Hillary are involved in any sex crime cover ups (Juanita Broderick, etc) then by all means investigate.
You want my opinion on liberal behavior?

Quite frankly if I was to slam a democrat they will quickly start calling me names like racist or sexist. Yeah, admit it. Anyone who had a problem with Obama was a "racist" and everyone who hated Hillary was "sexist". It happened way too many times.

Maybe you are a "good" liberal but their are too damn many on the left who are not.

Or, maybe I am lumping together people on the left as much as some of you lump together all the people on the right?

Sounds like we could use more dialogue.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
Yeah, when we’re talking about interacting with Trump supporters, we’re not talking about interacting with boorish people, we’re talking about interacting with bad people.
I don't think that's a fair characterization of my post. I think Trump is an objectively bad person. I think many in the Republican leadership are objectively bad people, too. I don't think all Republicans are bad people; I don't even think everyone who voted for Trump is a bad person.

I do think anyone who voted for Trump was either a horrible person or shamefully ignorant.
Quote:

Quite frankly if I was to slam a democrat they will quickly start calling me names like racist or sexist. Yeah, admit it. Anyone who had a problem with Obama was a "racist" and everyone who hated Hillary was "sexist". It happened way too many times.

Maybe you are a "good" liberal but their are too damn many on the left who are not.

Or, maybe I am lumping together people on the left as much as some of you lump together all the people on the right?

If you'd just stop whining about how mean and intolerant Lefties are, that might be possible.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:23 AM

Fair enough, it may not be a fair characterization of your post, but it is my opinion. I think bad people do and think bad things and supporting Trump is not something decent people do. I think that for too long, we have been giving the worst elements of our society a free pass in the name of getting along. We’ve been letting our crazy uncle get away with his crap at Thanksgiving dinner and now the country is run by the crazy uncles. I think that the more we make their behavior unacceptable and isolating, the better we’ll be.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jragon View Post
Please keep in mind this is a very privileged position to be in. If you're largely cis, straight, or racially homogeneous it's very easy to take a "live and let live" position to politics, where you have the luxury of remaining a little detached. Even if the economy is going, you're largely in a position where nobody is actively really coming after you, specifically. It's easy to view it as a game and thus, if the game is causes hard feelings at a gathering, why play it?

If you're gay, if you're trans, if you're bringing your spouse of a different race to the gathering, if you're married to an immigrant, if you've suffered at the failings of the legal system, whatever. There are a lot of areas where politics is very real, tangible, and in your face, and support for a certain politician and their policies is very much an attack on your livelihood in a direct way. Even if your family doesn't intend it as such, backing a politician who hates, say, gay rights, is at best an admission they care more about their tax policies (or whatever) than you and your rights.

Now, I'm not saying the OP is in this position, in fact, most of this thread reads like people who do have the luxury of playing this like a game. Most of the posters are coming from a place of moral virtue rather than personal stakes, and honestly most of them could probably bite their tongues and have a fine if somewhat grating time. But "politics" isn't just some fake thing you can throw away for the sake of getting along when it affects you in a very direct, tangible way the way it does social minorities.
This says it perfectly. There are real consequences for a lot of people, Trump supporters are doing real harm and causing real suffering in the world.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
Fair enough, it may not be a fair characterization of your post, but it is my opinion.
Oops, sorry. I misunderstood.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:44 AM

No worries, I wasn't clear. I was just expanding on what you wrote. My wife has an uncle (married to her dad's sister) who is an asshole. He's racist and kind of creepy; inappropriate jokes at other people's expense and hugs that go on too long with women in the family. Last Christmas he was over and people were talking about him before he came over and the family refrain has always been, "he's not that bad." But this Christmas, a bunch of us decided that you know what, he is that bad and we just started calling bullshit on his racism and sexism right to his face. At one point he turned to me and said "why is everyone calling me racist?" and I said, 'because you are and we're all tired of it." It was liberating, Christmas got crazy awkward, but it's been better since then. Instead of all the decent people dreading his arrival and biting their tongues, he's the one on the defensive: for a change the bad person is the one made to feel bad and forced to watch what he says. We're well past the time when we can just ignore people who are racist, sexist and destroying the environment.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:

Well, when I hear someone tell me they hated Obama because he was illegitimate Kenyan Muslim - and then they vote for the author of that fiction - it is hard to draw any other conclusion.

Of al the reasons I’ve heard someone give for disliking Hillary or Obama, the vast majority have been purely fictitious.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:55 PM

Does anyone else have one of those young college student relatives who has really drunk the radical leftist koolaid and now things everyone older than them is part of the evil patriarchal structure?
Old 09-25-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Does anyone else have one of those young college student relatives who has really drunk the radical leftist koolaid and now things everyone older than them is part of the evil patriarchal structure?
That's been happening for generations. They usually are harmless and grow out of it. They're not as bad as people supporting Trump. Supporting Trump is immoral.