Old 08-08-2018, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

So IF this board were to shut down, will we be notified in advance?

I hate to sound alarmist, but I'd really like to know.

Give us Dopers a chance to say good bye to some longtime friends, or give us a chance to decide where the next hang out spot is.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:52 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

We're all meeting up at the Pacific Inn Pub in Seattle the following Friday at 8:30 to make plans.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:02 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Who runs the Straight Dopers Facebook page?
Old 08-08-2018, 10:30 AM

I doubt that TubaDiva could know that currently. She might not be told with any lead time.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
We're all meeting up at the Pacific Inn Pub in Seattle the following Friday at 8:30 to make plans.
I didn't realize that all those years I worked in Fremont that I was planning for the SDMB's demise every night after work!
Old 08-08-2018, 10:39 AM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

There's some places you can check in for further information.

This would include my email address (TubaDiva@aol.com), all the moderators you have addresses for, and sites outside of here.

In the process of setting up an "official" Facebook page for TSD; as long as I have control of that, yes, that would be part of the Cecil Adams Emergency Contact System. There's other places as well where people congregate and they would pass on the message as well, I'm sure.

Like all emergency systems, you would then be told where to go for more information, etc.

I would say there is nothing to worry about but in our history this HAS happened before and we spent some time on an outside board set up specifically to get you through. So never say "never." But right now things are okay at least. Of course we always need your support wherever we are and whatever we do, so keep reading and posting and clicking on the occasional ad and subscribing to stuff. Keep sending me Threadspottings, the Best of the Board. Keep on keeping on!

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Old 08-10-2018, 12:38 AM
Elephant Whisperer

This is starting to feel like MoviePass.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:15 AM

I think the Dope has my email from when I was on WebTV.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:35 AM

The SD twitter can always send out info. And the splinter boards can be a place to check for info.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:35 AM

heh I remember we were on a few boards in that month or two because we overloaded them
Old 08-10-2018, 02:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaDiva View Post
There's some places you can check in for further information.

This would include my email address (TubaDiva@aol.com), all the moderators you have addresses for, and sites outside of here.

In the process of setting up an "official" Facebook page for TSD; as long as I have control of that, yes, that would be part of the Cecil Adams Emergency Contact System. There's other places as well where people congregate and they would pass on the message as well, I'm sure.

Like all emergency systems, you would then be told where to go for more information, etc.

I would say there is nothing to worry about but in our history this HAS happened before and we spent some time on an outside board set up specifically to get you through. So never say "never." But right now things are okay at least. Of course we always need your support wherever we are and whatever we do, so keep reading and posting and clicking on the occasional ad and subscribing to stuff. Keep sending me Threadspottings, the Best of the Board. Keep on keeping on!

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
aol.com?

Truly you personify the quality of brand loyalty.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 08-10-2018 at 02:56 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:18 AM

When the Feds shut down Overgrow.com, many of the other cannabis boards set up Refugee Subfora to handle the displaced stoners who were stumbling about. It was uplifting to see and experience.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:02 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
aol.com?

Truly you personify the quality of brand loyalty.
Actually, serendipity and gratitude.

I was on my way to cancel my AOL membership back in 1996 when I saw "THE STRAIGHT DOPE NOW ON AOL!" on the splash page. I ran to the SD site as fast as I could and you know the rest.

It was a chance act that literally changed my life ... and by extension, yours too.

Held on to it ever since.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Old 08-11-2018, 03:45 AM

I suspect the board is going to fade away rather than suddenly drop dead.
We have already lost most of our active membership, new blood is rare and even active people are dropping out. NYT ain't failing, SDMB most certainly is.

A third of my life has been on here. But, all things must end.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:49 AM

Y'all are feeling suddenly worried? I'm actually feeling more optimistic about the boards these days than I have in the past. We've actually got an admin who is getting creative and thoughtful on making this place some more scratch, and bringing in new readers. That's a good thing, not a reason to be suddenly concerned.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:43 AM

It would be interesting to know of the members that joined in the last 3 years and stuck around for over a year how many came to the Dope via the column and how many just stumbled in via various internet searches and links or were recommended by friends. If the column is a small part of it, then things could be fine, if the column is the majority, we've got problems.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:29 AM

I'm convinced (as far as that goes without data) that the vast majority of people signing up for SDMB came here the same way I did 13 years ago, namely through Google. Why would people all over the globe first stumble upon the obscure column, and then move on to the MB...?
Old 08-11-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
Y'all are feeling suddenly worried? I'm actually feeling more optimistic about the boards these days than I have in the past. We've actually got an admin who is getting creative and thoughtful on making this place some more scratch, and bringing in new readers. That's a good thing, not a reason to be suddenly concerned.
Yes, but the only reason she's there is because they had to fire off everyone else (Slug, Ed, etc.). Things had to get bad for them to bring in someone who would try stuff.

I'm not counting my proverbial chickens either way, but I do definitely understand why people are trying to make up contingency plans just in case. It's just risk aversion. It doesn't mean they actually think we will definitely fail, just that we're now to a place where we might.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaDiva View Post
In the process of setting up an "official" Facebook page for TSD; as long as I have control of that, yes, that would be part of the Cecil Adams Emergency Contact System.
Umm, it takes maybe five minutes to set up a FB page? Where are you with that?

Just asking because you're supposed to be stocked with supplies and be ready to go before the hurricane hits and not after it makes landfall. One shouldn't be dodging your neighbor's roof blowing down the street as you drive to Home Depot for batteries and boards to cover the windows.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakinyan View Post
I'm convinced (as far as that goes without data) that the vast majority of people signing up for SDMB came here the same way I did 13 years ago, namely through Google. Why would people all over the globe first stumble upon the obscure column, and then move on to the MB...?
But upthread, we were told that the message board is no longer appearing high in Google search results. So that's not a good sign if we want to see new readers.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:32 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
It would be interesting to know of the members that joined in the last 3 years and stuck around for over a year how many came to the Dope via the column and how many just stumbled in via various internet searches and links or were recommended by friends. If the column is a small part of it, then things could be fine, if the column is the majority, we've got problems.
The overwhelming majority of views to the website come via search engine queries. People ask Google or whatever and wind up here.

The links go not only to the columns but also the board; I would bet the message board gets MORE hits because there's only 3300 columns but there's 20 million message board postings.

The site redesign/redeployment had the ill fortune to coincide with the changing of Google's algorithms in the last couple months of 2017. It's normal and natural for traffic to be down after such a relaunch but there's usually recovery within a few months. The Straight Dope did not get that recovery. Since it happened exactly when Google was making changes, the assumption is that Google has something to do with it.

I'm no SEO expert so I have no idea why this happened. I'd love to hear from people that do know what they're talking about in this department.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:53 AM

Just who is paying the bills now?
Old 08-12-2018, 09:50 AM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
Just who is paying the bills now?
The owner of this site for the last three years, the Chicago Sun-Times.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Old 08-13-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Yes, but the only reason she's there is because they had to fire off everyone else (Slug, Ed, etc.).
Wait -- I thought Ed retired the column willfully?
Old 08-14-2018, 08:25 AM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordelond View Post
Wait -- I thought Ed retired the column willfully?
As Cecil said:

=====
Why the change, and why now? With the planned sale of the Chicago Reader, the folks at Sun-Times Media, which will continue to own the Straight Dope, are re-thinking the once-a-week deep dive (sorta) on a single topic (usually) in question-and-answer format. Itís possible a successor to the Straight Dope will emerge, possibly with daily online content. But no decision has been made, and my role, if any, has not been determined. In the meantime, Iím thinking about publishing another Straight Dope book Ė itís been nigh on 20 years since the last one.

However that works out, the Straight Dope legacy will remain intact.
=====

http://www.straightdope.com/a-note-f...straight-dope/

So new columns are at least on hiatus.

In the meantime we hope you enjoy the column archives and the always new, often interesting, sometimes hilarious, occasionally disturbing content here on the board.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Old 08-14-2018, 11:15 AM

Maybe Reddit style “Ask A” forum can be introduced? We have some fairly knowledgable posters on a diverse array of topics and this would basically be the StaffReport..
Old 08-14-2018, 01:57 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
Maybe Reddit style ďAsk AĒ forum can be introduced? We have some fairly knowledgable posters on a diverse array of topics and this would basically be the StaffReport..
Isn't that what "General Questions" has always been about? And "IMHO" for opinions on most all the topics you could think so.

We encourage everyone to step up and dispell some ignorance, especially since nowadays people can't ask Cecil. So they're dependent on you for assistance.

There's a lot of smart people here on all kinds of subjects, some so smart I have no idea what you're talking about. Please keep on keeping on!

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator