Old 08-15-2018, 12:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
Got an e-mail from MoviePass that echoed what I'd read in an article. It's now three films a month, but subsequent tickets will be subsidized at $2-5 each.
This doesn't kick in until your subscription renews. People still on the old subscription are getting strung along and fucked over, Moviepass is hoping they give up on using it before the subscription converts.

Last edited by Omniscient; 08-15-2018 at 12:10 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:33 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
This doesn't kick in until your subscription renews. People still on the old subscription are getting strung along and fucked over, Moviepass is hoping they give up on using it before the subscription converts.
The e-mail also said my subscription had renewed.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:42 AM

Hmm....

Okay, being kind and assuming their behavior is not malicious, I could see where their workflow fucked up. If they treat cancellation as a pending thing to be executed on the next billing date (so people could uncancel if they wanted), and then flashed the new TOS to people on the app and asked them to accept it, I can understand why migrating people to the new TOS and possibly new billing system could uncancel them. Of course they could reverse this process once they figured it out, so it's quite possibly malicious.

But I hit accept on the new TOS when it popped up, and then cancelled like 5 days later. So I definitely shouldn't have been part of this. I couldn't have been part of that incorrect workflow, since my account was already switched over at the time I cancelled.

But I just noticed the e-mail, 2 days after I cancelled, "We received your confirmation for your new MoviePass plan. Some exciting updates are coming on the first day of your next billing cycle, 2018-09-07."

They didn't bill me for August, but I guess they're planning to bill me for September? I'm not sure how that even makes sense. If I switched over to the new plan, why would it take a month to charge me?

Not a big deal, I guess, that gives me plenty of time to recancel, but fishy.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:37 AM

Their website now states that the new 3-per-month plan will let you choose "from up to 6 films each day," meaning they will only be supporting 1-6 films each day. You will not be able to choose what you want to see. So the way it is working now is how it will be working even on the new plan. Today the only movies you can choose from are either wide release "The Meg" and "Crazy Rich Asians," limited release "The Miseducation of Cameron Post" or very limited released (only on one screen in NYC) "Madeline's Madeline" and "Skate Kitchen."
Old 08-15-2018, 10:48 AM

I actually would keep subscribed at 3 movies a month if it went back to normal service. Still a good deal and I probably wouldn't exceed that anyway. But the random 2 movies a day thing is shitty. Do they still run out money in the afternoons and shut down for the day?

I logged into the app and it's acting like my account is active even though i cancelled and wasn't charged this month. Next billing date is next month. So maybe in their clusterfuck ways I get a freebie.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
08-17-2017, 07:43 PM
I think you have it backwards. What would happen is Movie Pass goes bankrupt and AMC ends up being their biggest debtor because unless I missed something Movie Pass doesn't buy any tickets in advance.

$9.95 is just too cheap for this service. There's no way they can sustain it.
Who could have foreseen a bad business plan that made no financial sense would fail?
Old 08-15-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
Who could have foreseen a bad business plan that made no financial sense would fail?
Everyone?

No one thought the $9.95 unlimited plan would make them money or last past the year.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
Everyone?

No one thought the $9.95 unlimited plan would make them money or last past the year.
You would think but read page one of this thread.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:49 PM
Elephant Whisperer

I heard their stock tanked today and is now trading at five cents a share.
Old Yesterday, 07:45 AM

MoviePass' death is imminent. Use the service as much as you can.
Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
I heard their stock tanked today and is now trading at five cents a share.
BACK to five cents per share after a 250-1 reverse split a few weeks ago.

Looks like it'll open today - right now - at 4.8 cents/share. Good luck to them and if you own shares go looking for the class action suit.
Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM

Ah, damn, I didn't get free access - opening the app again today it says my account has expired.

Curious - since they switched over to their "up to 6 movies a day" plan, do they still cancel existing showtimes mid-day like they've been doing for the last few weeks? Or can you actually go and see that limited set of movies all day?
Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM

Movie list through the 26th

So "up to 6 movies", but most of them are low theater count repeats. This is really more of a 2 movie a day plan.

Apparently they're saying this is only temporary through the transition but I doubt things are going to get much better.

Now, normally I wouldn't ethically advocate ways to cheat around the system at all, but this is pretty ridiculous for people who already paid their subscription money. You can go into any theater and go to the box office and ask your tickets to be swapped generally no questions asked. So grab the tickets from the kiosk, and then go ask to change them to something you want to see. Or.... may not even be necesary since they suspended ticket verification, you could probably just buy the ticket to the wrong movie.

What an inelegant way to die. They're just throwing random shit at the wall and usually lying about what they're doing ahead of time (remember when the daily running out of money thing was a "technical glitch" every day?) - I gotta say, I check the news on this daily for the drama.

Last edited by SenorBeef; Yesterday at 01:58 PM.
Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Follow up. Closed today at 3 cents per share with a hair over 200,000 share in volume. Thatís not going to get better unless thereís a white knight.