Old 01-08-2019, 03:44 PM

Safety precautions at the Leaning Tower of Pisa?

Reading this column, and noting that it mentions a similar structure collapsed, I got to wondering if the area in the direction the tower is leaning is cordoned off for safety, or when this thing goes will there be a number of flattened picnickers underneath it?
Old 01-08-2019, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Well, they let people up in the tower, so I'm not sure the picnickers are the most pressing concern.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
The tower was closed to the public on January 7, 1990, after more than two decades of stabilisation studies and spurred by the abrupt collapse of the Civic Tower of Pavia in 1989. The bells were removed to relieve some weight, and cables were cinched around the third level and anchored several hundred meters away. Apartments and houses in the path of the tower were vacated for safety. The solution chosen to prevent the collapse of the tower was to slightly straighten it to a safer angle by removing 38 cubic metres (1,342 cubic feet) of soil from underneath the raised end. The tower was straightened by 45 centimetres (17.7 inches), returning to its 1838 position. After a decade of corrective reconstruction and stabilization efforts, the tower was reopened to the public on December 15, 2001 and was declared stable for at least another 300 years.[23] In total, 70 metric tons (77 short tons) of earth were removed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaning_Tower_of_Pisa
Old 01-08-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
the tower was reopened to the public on December 15, 2001 and was declared stable for at least another 300 years
Man, that's the type of quote you expect to read in the news article after the tower collapses two weeks later.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:08 PM

Unsurprisingly, the Tower is now constantly monitored, so even very minor movements get detected.